Gunman at DC Navy Yard shoots at least 7

No, because I'm armed

-Geaux

There are a lot of dead people who were armed. I believe it actually increases your chances of being shot.
Investigating the Link Between Gun Possession and Gun Assault

Those statistics include gang bangers, criminals being shot by police, so on... Let me get you the information on defensive gun use by law abiding citizens

-Geaux

And the criminals get their guns from your gun owners. I guess they are part of the problem.

Gun Control - Just Facts (revised 2/11/13)

* Roughly 16,272 murders were committed in the United States during 2008. Of these, about 10,886 or 67% were committed with firearms.[11]

* A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 0.5% of households had members who had used a gun for defense during a situation in which they thought someone "almost certainly would have been killed" if they "had not used a gun for protection." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 162,000 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."[12]

* Based on survey data from the U.S. Department of Justice, roughly 5,340,000 violent crimes were committed in the United States during 2008. These include simple/aggravated assaults, robberies, sexual assaults, rapes, and murders.[13] [14] [15] Of these, about 436,000 or 8% were committed by offenders visibly armed with a gun.[16]

* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18]

* A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 3.5% of households had members who had used a gun "for self-protection or for the protection of property at home, work, or elsewhere." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 1,029,615 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."[19]

* A 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Americans use guns to frighten away intruders who are breaking into their homes about 498,000 times per year.[20]

* A 1982 survey of male felons in 11 state prisons dispersed across the U.S. found:[21]

• 34% had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"
• 40% had decided not to commit a crime because they "knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun"
• 69% personally knew other criminals who had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"[22]

Who in hell gave this Washington shooter security clearance? I really want to know.

It's as crazy as the situation with Major Hassan where everyone and their mother knew Hassan was a crazed radical for years and he kept getting promoted for crying out loud.

Then turned around and proved that he was that crazy little radical guy that the powers that be ignored and he killed and wounded so many.

What's wrong with the system?

Depends when he got his security clearance. It is good for ten years. Unless someone reports him, it will stay in effect

seems like even reporting him caused no cause for alarm. lets not blame a total breakdown of the system and out government. lets take the cowards way out and blame the gun, an inanimate object. gun grabbers get more ridiculous by the day

U.S. Navy was warned that Washington shooter 'heard voices'

It was a total failure of the federal government. He was given government security clearance after he told them he was hearing voices & was being treated by the government VA. So the government deflects blame & points to the NRA & wants to strip civilians of their rights because stripping the CCW rights from people at the Navy yard worked so well.

$30 billion US tax payer dollars flow through that Navy yard every year & they can't protect the people there. They expect us to give up our rights & protection to believe the government can protect us. :lol:

Last edited:
There are a lot of dead people who were armed. I believe it actually increases your chances of being shot.

Those statistics include gang bangers, criminals being shot by police, so on... Let me get you the information on defensive gun use by law abiding citizens

-Geaux

As promised. Dated but relevant. I will get you updated numbers

-Geaux

https://www.gunowners.org/sk0802htm.htm

* Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day. [1] This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. [2]

* Of the 2.5 million times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, the overwhelming majority merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8% of the time, a citizen will kill or wound his/her attacker.[3]

* As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse.[4]

* Even anti-gun Clinton researchers concede that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of self-defense every year. The National Institute of Justice published this figure in 1997 as part of "Guns in America" -- a study which was authored by noted anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig.[5]

* Armed citizens kill more crooks than do the police. Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year (1,527 to 606).[6] And readers of Newsweek learned that "only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The 'error rate' for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high."[7]

Those are stats, but they aren't counter to mine. It still stands if you and the criminal have a gun your much more likely to be shot.

-Geaux

And the criminals get their guns from your gun owners. I guess they are part of the problem.

No, why are victims part of the problem? Your killing me here :confused:

-Geaux

Lock them up longer

You are 30% less likely to be murdered in the USA than in rest of the world.

-Geaux

And drastically more likely when compared to the developed world. Any country that is really comparable has a much lower homicide rate. I guess you'd compare us to an economically and politically stable country like Ethiopia?

Wait- I think I have heard Obama use 'The rest of the world' in many of his justifications, not just the developed world.

Your sounding kind of racist here

-Geaux

I'm not an obama fan.

You must think very little of our country to compare it to 3rd world countries. I think we are the greatest country so I compare us to other successful countries.

-Geaux

-Geaux

* Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day. [1] This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. [2]

* Of the 2.5 million times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, the overwhelming majority merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8% of the time, a citizen will kill or wound his/her attacker.[3]

* As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse.[4]

* Even anti-gun Clinton researchers concede that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of self-defense every year. The National Institute of Justice published this figure in 1997 as part of "Guns in America" -- a study which was authored by noted anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig.[5]

* Armed citizens kill more crooks than do the police. Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year (1,527 to 606).[6] And readers of Newsweek learned that "only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The 'error rate' for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high."[7]

Those are stats, but they aren't counter to mine. It still stands if you and the criminal have a gun your much more likely to be shot.

Brilliant deduction.

And if he has a knife, I'm more likely to be stabbed.

-Geaux

And drastically more likely when compared to the developed world. Any country that is really comparable has a much lower homicide rate. I guess you'd compare us to an economically and politically stable country like Ethiopia?

Wait- I think I have heard Obama use 'The rest of the world' in many of his justifications, not just the developed world.

-Geaux

I'm not an obama fan.

You must think very little of our country to compare it to 3rd world countries. I think we are the greatest country so I compare us to other successful countries.

I didn't say you were a Obama fan

-Geaux

-Geaux

-Geaux

Well the gun owners are the source for the criminals guns. Seems like some great circle. The gun owner has the gun for protection but isn't responsible with gun and loses it to the criminal. The criminal then robs someone else and the gun owner buys a new gun. Gun is then stolen from gun owner and used for more crimes....

-Geaux

-Geaux

A 1982 survey of male felons in 11 state prisons dispersed across the U.S. found:[21]

• 40% had decided not to commit a crime because they "knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun"
• 69% personally knew other criminals who had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"[22]

-Geaux

I'm not an obama fan.

I didn't say you were a Obama fan

-Geaux

You quoted him which means very little to me.

-Geaux

A 1982 survey of male felons in 11 state prisons dispersed across the U.S. found:[21]

All these stats and the rate of gun ownership makes it sound like we should be the safest place in the world. Why are we not? All these stats don't mean much when we are way behind other developed countries.

-Geaux

Well the gun owners are the source for the criminals guns. Seems like some great circle. The gun owner has the gun for protection but isn't responsible with gun and loses it to the criminal. The criminal then robs someone else and the gun owner buys a new gun. Gun is then stolen from gun owner and used for more crimes....

Illogical....

Lawful gun owners don't 'lose' guns. They are stolen by felons who have escaped serious consequences for previous crimes. In California, many cities have had dramatic increase in crime as a result of Gov Brown releasing felons from prisons early.

That's the problem.. Not law abiding citizens

http://www.kclu.org/2013/08/23/oxna...spike-in-crime-due-to-early-prisoner-release/

Oxnard Police Say Part Of Spike In Crime In City Due To Early Prisoner Release

Oxnard Police officials say a spike in the city’s crime during the first six months of 2013 is linked to a law which is trying to reduce state prison overcrowding by releasing some offenders early.

The latest FBI crime stats for Oxnard showed a hike in the number of murders, robberies, assaults, and other crimes from January through June. Assistant Police Chief Scott Whitney says the increases in crime coincide with the enactment of the prison realignment plan.

More than 250 inmates released under the plan live in, or have been spending time in the Oxnard area. Whitney says it just follows that when chronic offenders spend less time in custody, they have more opportunities to commit crimes.

-Geaux

Last edited:

All these stats and the rate of gun ownership makes it sound like we should be the safest place in the world. Why are we not? All these stats don't mean much when we are way behind other developed countries.

I'll repeat. You are 30% less likely to be murdered in the USA than in rest of the world.

-Geaux

In California, many cities have had dramatic increase in crime as a result of Gov Brown releasing felons from prisons early.

That's the problem.. Not law abiding citizens -Geaux

I'm surprised the government didn't give all those ex-cons a security clearance. They gave one to Aaron Alexis after he told them he was "hearing voices".

Why do you hate the 2nd Amendment?

If you're too much of a sissy to handle a gun or you're afraid of guns, then don't get one.

If you're too much of a sissy to handle a gun or you're afraid of guns, then don't get one.

the poster should also stay out of gun free zones

since this where mass shootings are happening

I'll repeat. You are 30% less likely to be murdered in the USA than in rest of the world.

-Geaux

And compared to developed countries our homicide rate is drastically higher, we have way more guns, and way more people in jail.

Last edited:

I think the sissies are the paranoid gun owners who seem to be scared of everything.

Forum List

Back