Guns. I'm just throwing my point of view out there. If I'm wrong then explain it to me.

I've always viewed the gun problem similarly to the way I view the drug problem. It's an unfortunate situation that is only made more unfortunate when you make the people that want to use these things criminals for doing so. Supply and demand exists regardless of what the law has to say about it. If the consumer wants something bad enough and is willing to pay the price, somebody is willing to break the law to make money from that demand. You will never stop the movement and sale of drugs and guns. All the law can decide is who will make money off that demand. It's either going to be legitimate businesses that employ people and pay taxes, or dangerous and unregulated black market dealers. It seems to me that the only intelligent thing to do is to not make these things illegal so we can at least maintain some control. That comes with its own set of issues to overcome, but I adamantly believe that it's a clear cut greater good kind of situation.

But then again, in other countries, guns aren't so much of a problem.
Guns are not a problem here either
The behavior of criminals is the problem

And again, are you going to ignore the reasons why criminals behave like this? Or why they become criminals in the first place?

Let's see.... the right says that putting people in prison stops crime, and yet the highest prison population in the US has the highest murder rate and one of the highest crime rates.....

For example St Louis has the highest violent crime rate in the US.

2010-2011 graduation rates for area districts in Missouri

There is one school district, Normandy, with a 57.8% high school graduation rate.
St. Louis Public schools is at 52.6%.

Normandy has a crime rate index of 18, 100 is the safest. I'm assuming 18 isn't great.

Normandy crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Violent crime is 6.03 per 100,000. The Missouri average is 4.97, 2 murders, one rape, 8 robbery, 19 assaults, and that's from a population of 5,000 people.

The murder rate in Normandy is 8 times the US average, robbery is 50% higher, assault is higher too. What a surprise.

Hmmmm...the mayor of ST. Louis Missouri....democrat....and there you have the problem....

I've always viewed the gun problem similarly to the way I view the drug problem. It's an unfortunate situation that is only made more unfortunate when you make the people that want to use these things criminals for doing so. Supply and demand exists regardless of what the law has to say about it. If the consumer wants something bad enough and is willing to pay the price, somebody is willing to break the law to make money from that demand. You will never stop the movement and sale of drugs and guns. All the law can decide is who will make money off that demand. It's either going to be legitimate businesses that employ people and pay taxes, or dangerous and unregulated black market dealers. It seems to me that the only intelligent thing to do is to not make these things illegal so we can at least maintain some control. That comes with its own set of issues to overcome, but I adamantly believe that it's a clear cut greater good kind of situation.

And again, are you going to ignore the reasons why criminals behave like this? Or why they become criminals in the first place?

Let's see.... the right says that putting people in prison stops crime, and yet the highest prison population in the US has the highest murder rate and one of the highest crime rates.....

There is one school district, Normandy, with a 57.8% high school graduation rate.

Normandy has a crime rate index of 18, 100 is the safest. I'm assuming 18 isn't great.

Violent crime is 6.03 per 100,000. The Missouri average is 4.97, 2 murders, one rape, 8 robbery, 19 assaults, and that's from a population of 5,000 people.

The murder rate in Normandy is 8 times the US average, robbery is 50% higher, assault is higher too. What a surprise.

St. Louis, Missouri has had democrat mayors since 1953......and there is the problem.....

Mayor of St. Louis - Wikipedia

Excuse the hell out of me. I voted for the republican party, sorry kids. I have seen the flip side of this, and guns people scare the holy hell out of me. And thugs with guns scare me even more, and this pro gun stuff just feeds into those bad actors in the shadows, the people you fear the most. If we just got rid off the damned things, most of you wouldn't be so damned paranoid about protecting yourselves, either.
....says the paranoid person. Speak for yourself, you are not qualified to speak for the population you don't even understand.

I think you are missing a HUGE part of the "problem" as well. And that is:

"Why are there so many turning to crime in the first place?"

Locking them up, will do nothing to solve that. It will only serve to put more people in jail. Figure out the "why" and solve that, the rest becomes much easier to manage, if not "solve" all together.

The majority of violent crime perps are blacks and Latinos. You may want to look there and ask them why they turn to crime. As I said the real problem is the "thug culture", which includes TV and music, etc. sensationalizing such violence. Some people may just be too dumb to separate fiction from real life.

But the answer is most definitely to increase prison sentences. Keeping thugs off the streets prevents them from committing more crime. We also need the death penalty for crimes like murder and rape standard.

Yeah, because increasing the prison population has worked so well. Wait, no it hasn't. It's expensive, and it is less effective in reducing repeat offenders. In fact, it just about guarantees that there will be repeat offenders.

But you won't listen, and you won't think, so you won't learn. You can lead them to water, but if you don't hold their hand they'll fall in and drown.

We haven't t increased prison capacity, we've let thugs go on parole only to see them slaughter people again.

We should be executing most convicted murderers to make room for other criminals and save on tax dollars. Of course we need to end the idiotic death row system we have now that automatically appeals them and wastes decades, tax money, and delays justice for the victims.

And those falsely convicted and sentenced to death for crimes they did not commit? What happens to them in your rush to persecute someone?

Let's be honest. When someone gets out of prison they are not encouraged to rejoin society, they are prohibited. They are prohibited from regaining many of their rights including the right to vote in many states. They can't get many jobs, including what would be called skilled labor jobs because they have a conviction. So the best they can hope for is a construction job, providing that the job site is not for any Government group or contract. Or some minimum wage job. So they have little choice but to return to crime.

We know that Minimum wage jobs are not intended to pay a living wage. We know the jobs are intended to be a start to the work experience, a first block in your job history. But for those who can't move up the ladder because the ladder is closed off what then?

That's the problem with your punish everyone mentality. We've been using it for years, it isn't really working. Repeat offenders become repeat offenders because we warehouse them and minor criminals come out of prison as major criminals. No chance to move on after paying their debts.

The system is completely broken, and it isn't that the system is too lienient, it's that the puritan mentality is still too prevalent. I could site examples but you would denounce them and stomp your foot and demand more flesh from the crims.
Gee the poor babies.

If you don't want to be rejected by society after you get out of prison then don't get sent to prison in the first place.

Pfui. The premise of punishment is that when the punishment is over, you are forgiven. Forgive and forget. Let's take those convicts for a moment. A guy gets busted, and goes to prison. He serves five years and comes out determined not to go back. Hey, the punishment worked. He has seen the error of his ways and wants to go straight. Good for him. He paid his debt for his crime. Great.

He tries to get a job at a trucking company. Now he can't get a job there because he was convicted of a felony. And under the new rules from the Department of Homeland Insecurity anyone involved in interstate commerce can't have a record. Well he looks into working at a Port. Nope, Homeland insecurity again.

So his only real option is either fast food, or being a thug. Being a thug pays better.

That's what is hilarious, you want to punish the people, and make Prison unattractive for folks so they don't go and if they do go don't go back, and then you want to do everything you can to insure they do go back by cutting off all the options except crime.

Of course, it gives you a chance to complain about repeat offenders, and then demand longer sentences. Here's an idea, why not fix the system so it actually works and cuts down on repeat offenders?

once again you try to shift the blame.
A person commits a crime because he chooses to commit a crime.
A person doesn't graduate HS because he chooses not to graduate HS

The majority of violent crime perps are blacks and Latinos. You may want to look there and ask them why they turn to crime. As I said the real problem is the "thug culture", which includes TV and music, etc. sensationalizing such violence. Some people may just be too dumb to separate fiction from real life.

But the answer is most definitely to increase prison sentences. Keeping thugs off the streets prevents them from committing more crime. We also need the death penalty for crimes like murder and rape standard.

Yeah, because increasing the prison population has worked so well. Wait, no it hasn't. It's expensive, and it is less effective in reducing repeat offenders. In fact, it just about guarantees that there will be repeat offenders.

But you won't listen, and you won't think, so you won't learn. You can lead them to water, but if you don't hold their hand they'll fall in and drown.

We haven't t increased prison capacity, we've let thugs go on parole only to see them slaughter people again.

We should be executing most convicted murderers to make room for other criminals and save on tax dollars. Of course we need to end the idiotic death row system we have now that automatically appeals them and wastes decades, tax money, and delays justice for the victims.

And those falsely convicted and sentenced to death for crimes they did not commit? What happens to them in your rush to persecute someone?

Let's be honest. When someone gets out of prison they are not encouraged to rejoin society, they are prohibited. They are prohibited from regaining many of their rights including the right to vote in many states. They can't get many jobs, including what would be called skilled labor jobs because they have a conviction. So the best they can hope for is a construction job, providing that the job site is not for any Government group or contract. Or some minimum wage job. So they have little choice but to return to crime.

We know that Minimum wage jobs are not intended to pay a living wage. We know the jobs are intended to be a start to the work experience, a first block in your job history. But for those who can't move up the ladder because the ladder is closed off what then?

That's the problem with your punish everyone mentality. We've been using it for years, it isn't really working. Repeat offenders become repeat offenders because we warehouse them and minor criminals come out of prison as major criminals. No chance to move on after paying their debts.

The system is completely broken, and it isn't that the system is too lienient, it's that the puritan mentality is still too prevalent. I could site examples but you would denounce them and stomp your foot and demand more flesh from the crims.
Gee the poor babies.

If you don't want to be rejected by society after you get out of prison then don't get sent to prison in the first place.

Pfui. The premise of punishment is that when the punishment is over, you are forgiven. Forgive and forget. Let's take those convicts for a moment. A guy gets busted, and goes to prison. He serves five years and comes out determined not to go back. Hey, the punishment worked. He has seen the error of his ways and wants to go straight. Good for him. He paid his debt for his crime. Great.

He tries to get a job at a trucking company. Now he can't get a job there because he was convicted of a felony. And under the new rules from the Department of Homeland Insecurity anyone involved in interstate commerce can't have a record. Well he looks into working at a Port. Nope, Homeland insecurity again.

So his only real option is either fast food, or being a thug. Being a thug pays better.

That's what is hilarious, you want to punish the people, and make Prison unattractive for folks so they don't go and if they do go don't go back, and then you want to do everything you can to insure they do go back by cutting off all the options except crime.

Of course, it gives you a chance to complain about repeat offenders, and then demand longer sentences. Here's an idea, why not fix the system so it actually works and cuts down on repeat offenders?

So those are his only two options?

Bullshit.

SO what he can't get some jobs? There are millions of ways to earn a living in this country that are not off limits to felons

And against excuses for why nothing should ever be done, and it'll boil down to because you can do something, everyone can do it, so therefore do nothing.

And against excuses for why nothing should ever be done, and it'll boil down to because you can do something, everyone can do it, so therefore do nothing.

I never said nothing should be done

I said those that choose to commit violent crimes should be incarcerated for mandatory and lengthy sentences to be served without parole

Gee the poor babies.

Violent gun offenders have been getting less than 2 years in jail....and judges have allowed them out on bail prior to their trials...and they are shooting and killing people after they get out and while they are on bail...

What is it with you people and wanting to let violent gun offenders back on the streets so they can shoot and kill innocent people....?

I said those that choose to commit violent crimes should be incarcerated for mandatory and lengthy sentences to be served without parole

You never said nothing should be done, but you ooze nothing should be done every time you reply.

Yes, people who should commit violent crimes should be locked up, however society should also do what it can to prevent people from committing violent crimes, and the US certainly doesn't do this, and states like Louisiana most definitely want to make sure such a thing doesn't happen.

There are reasons some places are more violent that others, don't you think? And a lot of this will depend on how proactive the state government is.

You never said nothing should be done, but you ooze nothing should be done every time you reply.

Yes, people who should commit violent crimes should be locked up, however society should also do what it can to prevent people from committing violent crimes, and the US certainly doesn't do this, and states like Louisiana most definitely want to make sure such a thing doesn't happen.

There are reasons some places are more violent that others, don't you think? And a lot of this will depend on how proactive the state government is.

There are reasons some places are more violent that others, don't you think?

like Louisiana

Yes.....The major cities in Lousiana have democrats mayors and have had democrat mayors for decades......and they release violent criminals over and over again, even violent gun offenders.......

You can't stop gun crime if you keep allowing violent criminals to go back on the streets or give them bail after violent gun offences and they go and murder people.......

nothing you propose would stop these criminals....our concept of actually locking up violent gun offenders for 30 years stops future crime...the very thing you say you want...

Mayors of New Orleans.....democrats since 1872.

like Louisiana

Baton Rouge...exept for 1 Republican, democrat mayors back to 1950s....

List of mayors of Baton Rouge, Louisiana - Wikipedia

And again....Shreveport, Louisiana.....

except for two republicans in the 90s....democrat mayors going back to 1878...

List of mayors of Shreveport, Louisiana - Wikipedia

Matter of fact Ray Nagin switched to Democrat so he could get elected It's how it works. Frank Rizzo did the same thing in Philadelphia. Two places I was there to witness.

Hmmmm...the mayor of ST. Louis Missouri....democrat....and there you have the problem....

You do indeed, and the problem is called "Composition Fallacy". It works like this, since you're too stupid to pick this up:

"David Duke is a Klan white supremacist....
"David Duke is a Republican....
"---- therefore all Republicans are Klan white supremacists".​

It's always been a fallacy, not to even mention the function of a city mayor is to decide what day your neighborhood gets its trash picked up and when it's time to run the snowplows, which are not exactly political ideologies --- Dumbass.

You could have also mentioned Big Bill Thompson, who was the last Republican mayor of Chicago. He ran a bigot campaign against Anton Cernak which didn't go over real bigly with that city's Slavic and general immigrant community. They were also kind of over Thompson's coddling of Al Capone.

Composition Fallacy that, rhetorical coward.

(/offtopic)

Last edited:

Matter of fact Ray Nagin switched to Democrat so he could get elected It's how it works. Frank Rizzo did the same thing in Philadelphia. Two places I was there to witness.

You do indeed, and the problem is called "Composition Fallacy". It works like this, since you're too stupid to pick this up:

It's always been a fallacy, not to even mention the function of a city mayor is to decide what day your neighborhood gets its trash picked up and when it's time to run the snowplows, which are not exactly political ideologies --- Dumbass.

You could have also mentioned Big Bill Thompson, who was the last Republican mayor of Chicago. He ran a bigot campaign against Anton Cernak which didn't go over real bigly with that city's Slavic and general immigrant community. They were also kind of over Thompson's coddling of Al Capone.

(/offtopic)

And you are wrong...again...

Ray Nagin - Wikipedia

Political affiliation[edit]
Several news sources, including BBC News,[16][17][18] have stated that Nagin was a registered Republican for most of his adult life, and a George W. Bush supporter, but switched to the Democratic Party shortly before seeking office. In 2004, he endorsed John Kerry for president.[12][19]

In a January 13, 2006 interview on the Tavis Smiley Show, Nagin himself denied these rumors, stating that he "never was a Republican" and that he has been a "life-long Democrat",[20] and several news organizations that reported he was a Republican issued retractions.[21]

(/offtopic)

Mayors determine the policies that the police and prosecutors follow when they are going after crime...democrats do not lock up violent criminals.....especially in these democrat strong holds.....that is how they create crime, which helps to create the poverty, also...democrats believe in tax and spend.......and borrow.....they tax businesses till they leave, they spend money creating massive debt, and then they borrow until they can't get anyone to loan them money....

just ask Chicago.....

(/offtopic)

Mayors determine the policies that the police and prosecutors follow when they are going after crime...democrats do not lock up violent criminals.....especially in these democrat strong holds.....that is how they create crime, which helps to create the poverty, also...democrats believe in tax and spend.......and borrow.....they tax businesses till they leave, they spend money creating massive debt, and then they borrow until they can't get anyone to loan them money....

just ask Chicago.....

Yeah I just MENTIONED Chicago, and Thompson, and Al Capone. Your Composition Fallacy fails, again.
They always do.

(/offtopic)

just ask Chicago.....

Yeah I just MENTIONED Chicago, and Thompson, and Al Capone. Your Composition Fallacy fails, again.
They always do.

Yeah....try to pretend you weren't shown to be an idiot by claiming Ray Nagin was a republican.....go ahead....we'll move on...

There are reasons some places are more violent that others, don't you think?

like Louisiana

Yes.....The major cities in Lousiana have democrats mayors and have had democrat mayors for decades......and they release violent criminals over and over again, even violent gun offenders.......

You can't stop gun crime if you keep allowing violent criminals to go back on the streets or give them bail after violent gun offences and they go and murder people.......

nothing you propose would stop these criminals....our concept of actually locking up violent gun offenders for 30 years stops future crime...the very thing you say you want...

La. Is a deep red state wh red state gun nut laws .

you cannot prevent a person from choosing to break the law. All you can do is act after he breaks the law.

Forum List

Back