Guns rarely used for self defence

Totally untrue. Those numbers were shown to be fraudulent so why do you still quote them?

Shown to be fraudulent by who? The CDC puts fire arms suicides alone at 21,000 a year. Its literally 80 times more likely that you or a family member will kill yourself with a gun than you'll kill an intruder.

There were almost 600 accidental gun deaths in 2011 per the CDC. Putting the odds of accidental shooting at more than double shooting an intruder.

These aren't subtle numbers.

You would laugh if someone offered you those odds in Vegas. Why would you double down on them for yourself and your family? It just doesn't make sense.

Skylar,

I don't think you get it... The gun nuts here would easily take ten times that attrition rate and still say they need guns...

They don't see a number where it might be a good idea to keep guns out of certain peoples hands(unless it is black people and wait until they start quoting figures on that)...

They are believers in absolutes. The constitution is right unless it says something I don't believe in... Ditto for the Bible... They a la carte followers of both. (look how 'well regulated' means everyone)

So the question Skylar is for you, why are you arguing with idiots?

You're debunking a study I'm not citing. So...strawman much?

And a battered spouse is 5 times more likely to be killed by her husband if he owns a gun.[/QUOTE]

woman competent with a gun she holds is many less times likely to be battered than one who is afraid of guns or disarmed

[
Skylar,

I don't think you get it... The gun nuts here would easily take ten times that attrition rate and still say they need guns...

They don't see a number where it might be a good idea to keep guns out of certain peoples hands(unless it is black people and wait until they start quoting figures on that)...

They are believers in absolutes. The constitution is right unless it says something I don't believe in... Ditto for the Bible... They a la carte followers of both. (look how 'well regulated' means everyone)

You garment soiling gun banners claim that crime is not severe enough to justify good people being armed, yet you void in your shorts claiming that there is too much gun crime and that justifies banning good people from owning guns

Wait a minute, does it have to be a homicide? You can't defend yourself by wounding the perp or merely brandishing a gun?

Off-duty officer shoots ex-wife dead after New Jersey car chase - Yahoo News

Driving an SUV, Phillip Seidle, 51, was pursuing his recently divorced wife, Tamara Seidle, in her car when she crashed into another vehicle in Asbury Park, New Jersey, said Charles Webster, spokesman of the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office.

Seidle, a 22-year veteran of New Jersey's Neptune Township Police Department, got out with his service weapon, a .40-caliber Glock handgun, and fired several shots into his ex-wife's car from the driver's side, Webster said.

He then made his way to the front of the car and fired more shots at her through the windshield, Webster said.​

The Gun Fetishists now have to explain how he was just "defending himself" against his unarmed ex-wife and 7 year old daughter.

I hate to point out the obvious here, Sparky...but if it was a cop that did this...there isn't a gun control law on the planet that would have kept it from happening! Duh?

Total crap because they only consider homicides to be "usage". The overwhelming majority of defensive uses of firearms the trigger is never pulled. Bad guys, amazingly enough, don't like to get shot.
you have a valid point, yet the facts remain you and your family are more likely to die if there is a gun in the house

Which is a meme that has been proven false many, many times over.

Total crap because they only consider homicides to be "usage". The overwhelming majority of defensive uses of firearms the trigger is never pulled. Bad guys, amazingly enough, don't like to get shot.
you have a valid point, yet the facts remain you and your family are more likely to die if there is a gun in the house

You're even more likely to die if you ride in a car.

That's why we test, license, and insure drivers.

And again...

actual research over 40 years....

I just averaged the studies......which were conducted by different researchers, from both private and public researchers, over a period of 40 years looking specifically at guns and self defense....the name of the researcher is first, then the year then the number of times they determined guns were used for self defense......notice how many of them there are and how many of them were done by gun grabbers like the clinton Justice Dept. and the obama CDC

And these aren't all of the studies either...there are more...and they support the ones below.....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....
GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, military)
DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, military)
L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, military)
Kleck...2.5 million ( no cops, military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops, military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

-------------------------------------------
Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..
If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

You're even more likely to die if you ride in a car.
Everyone dies.

Totally untrue. Those numbers were shown to be fraudulent so why do you still quote them?

Shown to be fraudulent by who? The CDC puts fire arms suicides alone at 21,000 a year. Its literally 80 times more likely that you or a family member will kill yourself with a gun than you'll kill an intruder.

There were almost 600 accidental gun deaths in 2011 per the CDC. Putting the odds of accidental shooting at more than double shooting an intruder.

You would laugh if someone offered you those odds in Vegas. Why would you double down on them for yourself and your family? It just doesn't make sense.

Skylar,

Japan and South Korea have no guns for civilians...and their suicide rate is 2 times ours....and as more Americans have bought guns to own and carry the gun murder rate and the accidental gun death rate have gone down, not up......

Skylar,

And here are the actual CDC numbers on accidental gun deaths vs. other accidental deaths in this country....a country of over 320 million poeple...

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

guns, drowning and poisoning....

If you cared about people....you would push to ban the following...

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

Cars, Accidental deaths 2013......35,369

Poisons...accidental deaths 2013....38,851

Alcohol...accidental deaths 2013...29,001

gravity....accidental falling deaths 2013...30,208

Accidental gun deaths 2013......505

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr63/nvsr63_09.pdf

Then by year accidental gun deaths going down according to CDC final statistics table 10 from 2010-2013...

Skylar,

ah....you are an idiot.....

Sorry, not true....the studies the gun grabbers use are always lies....they include criminals killing criminals as people "who know each other" in the home.......that lie has actually been debunked over and over again.......

The bottom line is simple. Unless you can demonstrate that I am a danger to myself or others, it is none of anyone else's business whether or not I have firearms. My reasons for owning them are my own and I take responsibility for them. If I misuse them and someone is harmed, then the law can step in. If people think they are dangerous and don't want them in their house, they don't have to have them in their house. I neither require nor desire anyone's approval of what I choose to own. So I really don't give a damn what statistics are presented on either side of the issue. I am not a statistic and I have no intention of living my life in accordance with them. If that is not acceptable to some, they are free to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Forum List

Back