Happy Easter everyone!

[MENTION=48060]guno[/MENTION], [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION], [MENTION=48205]thebrucebeat[/MENTION]:

I hope you all had a find Resurrection Day. May Christ bless you with truth and wisdom while easing your pain and anger issues. I truly mean that. Have a good week.

No anger or issue of pain here, very happy to be educated and critical thinking , have a great educated family who also has critical thinking skills :D

My you one day be able to tell reality from fiction and magical thinking.:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
[MENTION=48060]guno[/MENTION], [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION], [MENTION=48205]thebrucebeat[/MENTION]:

I hope you all had a find Resurrection Day. May Christ bless you with truth and wisdom while easing your pain and anger issues. I truly mean that. Have a good week.

No anger or issue of pain here, very happy to be educated and critical thinking , have a great educated family who also has critical thinking skills :D

My you one day be able to tell reality from fiction and magical thinking.:eusa_whistle:
...and you quote and reqoute yourself so well...:lol:

@guno , @Pogo , @thebrucebeat :

And may Christ take away your gun fetish and militia fantasies.
Amen.
I truly mean that.

Don't you mean "2nd Amendment rights?" Here's what your savior has to say about homegrown militias:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9LwUbFy--A]Obama's militia ? Waffen-SS - YouTube[/ame]

OOOOPS!!!

Written by Bart Ehrman, a former evangelical Christian and now agnostic professor of religious studies at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, the book claims to unveil "one of the most unsettling ironies of the early Christian tradition": the use of deception to promote the truth.

"The Bible not only contains untruths of accidental mistakes. It also contains what almost anyone today would call lies," Ehrman writes in "Forged: Writing in the Name of God — Why the Bible’s Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are."

According to the biblical scholar, at least 11 of the 27 New Testament books are forgeries, while only seven of the 13 epistles attributed to Paul were probably written by him. (etc)

I wouldn't take Ehrman's claims very seriously. I reviewed his "scholarly" backup for this book, "Forgery and counterforgery", and it was terribly poor. I don't mean his opinions; just his handling of the raw data. I looked at his statements about Salvian of Marseilles - critical to the book, and referenced on the very last page as a supposed "admission" - and found that he'd copied it from a postgrad paper written 80 years ago. The claims just didn't stand up, once you looked at them.

I also looked at his claims about Epiphanius making up a passage about the Borborite heretics - a group Epiphanius knew personally - and found that Ehrman didn't even know that the same story was referenced by Ephrem Syrus before Epiphanius wrote. He dismissed Epiphanius' statements as untrue, without knowing the data; and then accused poor old Epiphanius of lying as well as being wrong, merely on the basis of speculation. It's sad stuff.

Everywhere there are accusations of forgery; but everywhere the evidence is missing, edited, or misrepresented. There isn't any evidence of forgery for any of this stuff. Ehrman thinks he can show that (a) the texts are not what they seem to be and (b) that they were intentional fakes, i.e. forgeries. Unfortunately he mainly showed his own animus and lack of critical instinct towards anything he wanted to believe.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

Last edited:

"Anger issues"? Moi? What anger issues?

Which one of us is posting sanctimonious whines about some slackers smoking pot bothering nobody?
Think about it.

Forum List

Back