‘Hard to watch’: 63-yr-old man gets brutal beating after asking younger couple to vacate his pre-paid movie theater seats

See post #237

Why would giving person A a lesser prison sentence now do anything to atone for having given person B a greater prison sentence in the past just because person A and B had the same skin tone? Here's an idea. How about we give prison sentences commensurate with the crime the person was convicted of and not consider their race in any way.
The bill is poorly written, I’m not a fan HOWEVER, it’s intent is to allow judges to lower a sentence if the jury over penalizes people of color. It’s to protect them from over sentencing not asking for them to serve less. What don’t you get?

The bill is poorly written, I’m not a fan HOWEVER, it’s intent is to allow judges to lower a sentence if the jury over penalizes people of color. It’s to protect them from over sentencing not asking for them to serve less. What don’t you get?
Juries are responsible for sentencing?

That is certainly news to me.

Judges didn’t already have the discretion to amend sentences? The law is racist on its face and not something anyone should support regardless of the intention. If the legislature wanted to grant judges the discretion to change a defendants sentence because the jury got it wrong based on the law they could have done that without making it about race.

The bill is poorly written, I’m not a fan HOWEVER, its intent is to allow judges to lower a sentence if the jury over penalizes people of color. It’s to protect them from over sentencing not asking for them to serve less. What don’t you get?
In California judges decide sentences so this bill was t written to right the erros juries might make. It was written so black defendants would get lesser prison sentences based on their skin color. Period full stop.

I would guess because no one has proposed law that would codify what you are talking about. If individual juries or judges are giving convicted criminals are handing out prison sentences based on skin color that's a problem. The solution to that problem isn't a law that gives out prison sentences based on skin color....
Man save that bullshit, there have been 2 Justice Systems since this country was taken.

See post #237

Why would giving person A a lesser prison sentence now do anything to atone for having given person B a greater prison sentence in the past just because person A and B had the same skin tone? Here's an idea. How about we give prison sentences commensurate with the crime the person was convicted of and not consider their race in any way.
The crime and the criminal history of the offender.

The solution is to take the racism out of it, that is pretty much the solution to most of the problems in this country.

What racism? Blacks causing mayhem on non- Blacks? This is now not 250 years ago when African Savages rounded up victims to sell to highest bidder. Thats over in the USA. Nothing left. Since the 60s'

Now about the nogo zones, unprovoked violence, attacks on Asians, swing first if Blacks feel disrespected or hear a word they dont like? Lol! Id be swinging all day if that was normal around Blacks. Wake up its 2023.

Good question, because it hasn't been accomplished in the last 247yrs.
Let me help solve the problem of 'food deserts' in black communities (caused by racism).

Load up a bus and go shopping every week at any upscale supermarket in an affluent white suburb and see how fast a good grocery store appears in your neighborhood. ;)

Forum List

Back