Have we become a nation of demagogues?

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
First, it helps to start off with the actual definition of the word, so that people who may be unfamiliar with it will know what it is and what it means.........................................

the definition of demagogue

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
1. a person, especially an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.
2. (in ancient times) a leader of the people.
verb (used with object), demagogued, demagoguing.
3. to treat or manipulate (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.
verb (used without object), demagogued, demagoguing.
4. to speak or act like a demagogue.

Okay, there it is................we all know what the definition of a demagogue is.

Have you people noticed that there are a lot of posters on here who instead of using facts and actual things happening, they instead prefer to offer up opinion, emotional language and insults?

Me? I prefer to discuss things with people who use facts, logic and reason instead of emotion, rhetoric and opinion. Even if you disagree with me, if you use facts and reason, you have a much better chance of convincing me that your side is right. And, I might even learn something new in the process and will be grateful to you for the instruction.

But you will never convince me of anything if you only use insults and opinion instead of fact.

Interestingly enough, it appears that more conservatives are demagogues than their liberal counterparts, because they appear to be more prejudiced.

th

So you're one of those who believes....

1. That all mature willing companions have the right to form a marriage union as they choose?

2. That because it looks evil those guns are going out and killing people in gun free zones and that banning those guns will stop it?

3. That people can break US law and stay here even though they came here illegally?

....I have more questions but we'll start with those for you to answer.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

First, it helps to start off with the actual definition of the word, so that people who may be unfamiliar with it will know what it is and what it means.........................................

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun
1. a person, especially an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.
3. to treat or manipulate (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.

Okay, there it is................we all know what the definition of a demagogue is.

Have you people noticed that there are a lot of posters on here who instead of using facts and actual things happening, they instead prefer to offer up opinion, emotional language and insults?

Me? I prefer to discuss things with people who use facts, logic and reason instead of emotion, rhetoric and opinion. Even if you disagree with me, if you use facts and reason, you have a much better chance of convincing me that your side is right. And, I might even learn something new in the process and will be grateful to you for the instruction.

But you will never convince me of anything if you only use insults and opinion instead of fact.

Interestingly enough, it appears that more conservatives are demagogues than their liberal counterparts, because they appear to be more prejudiced.

You were doing fine up until that last sentence.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

Is that the WOTD? Honestly, this the fifth post today where the OP has touted that word, so here:

1ex4hs.jpg

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

Your post made me think of this. Another article in the NYT also discussed the link topic withe the headline "We're all fascists now." But it wasn't every well written IMO, and possibly plagiarized.

Christina Hoff Sommers Triggers Law Students, Labeled 'Fascist'

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

You almost weren’t a demagogue. Then you wrote the last paragraph. Why did you do that? You tell us how you prefer to debate facts but end on that note.

My friend, you have struck upon something immensely important here. Yes, obviously, we are a nation of demagogues, but this is nothing new. Yet you've elaborated on some of the implications of this mindset, and have challenged us to take a look at our own position. A good work toward the uplift of humanity, to be sure.

This nation is built upon a certain level of emotional irrationality if you really think about it (as are all nations, really). Perhaps it was built on fear, love, or simply the comfort of habit, rooted in the idea that there must be a centralized power in order to serve and protect the people. Maybe it was greed, as the founding fathers did place themselves in those first positions of power. In any case, the Constitution makes the claim that "Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes..." Wait... let's stop there. It "shall"? By what means? By the mere act of writing it down on parchment? Whence comes this power? No valid explanation at the time of its writing - no valid explanation today. The very foundation of the nation is built on a raw assertion. An assertion with dubious moral implications, mind you, as it essentially establishes an inequality of rights between men.

You said you prefer to use facts and logic, which is certainly encouraging... so I would pose the question to you - what is the valid basis for the authority of this government that claims the right to rule on this arbitrary patch of land we call a "nation"?

I hope you will not think this question trite or abstract; as it is the duty of every person who would cast their vote in support of the furtherance of this government's authority to know with certainty that they are supporting something both valid and moral before unleashing its power upon their family, their neighbors, and all the world at large. Though the existence of a valid answer is often assumed, I ask each person here to provide an answer for themselves, if only to satisfy their own mind that they hold a position that is both logically consistent and in steadfast keeping with their own moral values.

Thank you for bringing the importance of lucid, critical thought to the fore.

To paraphrase the Buddha:
"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not starting, and not going all the way."

Last edited:
You almost made it until you ended it with the typical partisan silliness.

He cannot help it! He is a one of a kind in that he is a liberal and a veteran and those two in combination are about as common as unicorns. (I only knew one in my military career, and he only did it to piss off his Dad who was an Admiral.) He is conservative in a few of his views but those are few and far between, and he refuses

perhaps serving as a mess steward on an oiler didn't expose you to a wide cross section of career military, *admiral*.

most of the people with whom i served were moderate/liberal and a few were conservative, but nonewere the kind of no mind, no load, short round pseudocons that post here on a regular basis.

perhaps serving as a mess steward on an oiler didn't expose you to a wide cross section of career military, *admiral*.

most of the people with whom i served were moderate/liberal and a few were conservative, but nonewere the kind of no mind, no load, short round pseudocons that post here on a regular basis.

Thanks for the laugh!

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Thanks for the laugh!

you're welcome

th

So you're one of those who believes....

1. That all mature willing companions have the right to form a marriage union as they choose?

2. That because it looks evil those guns are going out and killing people in gun free zones and that banning those guns will stop it?

3. That people can break US law and stay here even though they came here illegally?

....I have more questions but we'll start with those for you to answer.

*****CHUCKLE*****

1. Yes, if the person is of the age of consent, and both parties are willing to enter into a marriage, they should be allowed to do so.

2. I have no problem with what kind of weapon you own, I do have a problem with having the ability to throw 30 rounds or more downrange before reloading. Firepower like that is only required in a combat zone.

3. If you are referring to adults who came to this country illegally? Deport them when they are caught. If you are talking about the DACA kids who didn't come here of their own choice, and have lived here almost all their lives? I think they should be afforded a path to citizenship. Either serve 4 years in the military honorably, or get a degree in a job that we need here in the US, or serve 4 years in the Peace Corps. That way, they are showing that they want to be here and will benefit this country.

Quick question for you.......................how do you feel about the veteran who was deported just a little while ago who had served 2 tours in Afghanistan serving this country? He served, got out, had PTSD and was arrested for drugs, and was then deported. Is that right?

US Army veteran who served two tours in Afghanistan has been deported to Mexico - CNN

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

See: Fox News, Donald Trump, et. al.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

Look at the way most of the conservatives post, and then compare that to the way that the liberals post. I said that it looks that way because there is more emotional language and prejudice in conservative posts. Most of the right wing types on here use insults and emotional language, but don't really want to provide links or proof of their position. You ask them for links, and either they say they won't do the work for you, or they say that everyone knows it, or they respond with some type of insult and tell you that is part of the liberal playbook to ask for links and then run away.

1. Yes, if the person is of the age of consent, and both parties are willing to enter into a marriage, they should be allowed to do so.

Then the right to marry should be expanded to include all groups that fit that category. So all the laws that prevent close relatives and multiple partners need to be stricken from the law books.

2. I have no problem with what kind of weapon you own, I do have a problem with having the ability to throw 30 rounds or more downrange before reloading. Firepower like that is only required in a combat zone.

But you have no problem if I carry ten magazines, that hold ten to twelve rounds each, that I can change out in a second... Go figure.

3. If you are referring to adults who came to this country illegally? Deport them when they are caught. If you are talking about the DACA kids who didn't come here of their own choice, and have lived here almost all their lives? I think they should be afforded a path to citizenship. Either serve 4 years in the military honorably, or get a degree in a job that we need here in the US, or serve 4 years in the Peace Corps. That way, they are showing that they want to be here and will benefit this country.

I'm not the one who brought them here, that would be their parents, and I have no reason to be altruistic about the issue. They can join the military and take their chances, if that's what they choose to do, and that's the only way they'll get me to approve money to further their education..... Oh! And since their parents are felons they'll be denied the right to stay in the USA, or the right to apply or have their child apply for immigration, even though they're the family of the child.

Quick question for you.......................how do you feel about the veteran who was deported just a little while ago who had served 2 tours in Afghanistan serving this country? He served, got out, had PTSD and was arrested for drugs, and was then deported. Is that right?

US Army veteran who served two tours in Afghanistan has been deported to Mexico - CNN

Since he's a felon he can spend the next twenty or forty years in prison or take the deportation. Personally I'm perfectly willing to put him in prison for the next forty years without chance of probation and not give him the other option.

th

*****CHUCKLE******

Last edited:

Then the right to marry should be expanded to include all groups that fit that category. So all the laws that prevent close relatives and multiple partners need to be stricken from the law books.

But you no problem if I carry ten magazines, that hold ten to twelve rounds each, that I can change out in a second... Go figure.

I'm not the one who brought them here, that would be their parents, and I have no reason to be altruistic about the issue. They can join the military and take their chances, if that's what they choose to do, and that's the only way they'll get me to approve money to further their education.

Since he's a felon he can spend the next twenty or forty years in prison or take the deportation. Personally I'm perfectly willing to put him in prison for the next forty years without chance of probation and not give him the other option.

th

*****CHUCKLE******

Close relatives should not be allowed to marry because of the high incidence of birth defects that happens when people intermarry in their own family.

I have no problem with polygamy though. If you are rich enough to be able to support several women and their children at the same time and don't abuse them in doing so, sure. Why not allow multiple partners in a marriage? I mean, many great men in the Bible had multiple wives.

Forum List

Back