Hey republicans you can't have it both ways

You can't bitch and whine about keeping the minimum wage as it is and expect people not to be on food stamps.

The minimum wage isn't even $10 an hour. Tell me, repubs, could you live on that wage? The average fast food worker is 29 despite the fact that those companies are making record profits.

You all seem to believe in this fallacy that ANYONE could get a well paying job if they tried their darndest. That's moronic. There will always be poor working people as long as there are low wage jobs. Many single parents can't raise their kids on $10 an hour despite having a full time job. Should their kids be punished because their parents can't bring home a decent pay check?

Hey guess what raising the minimum wage would do?

1) less people would be on food stamps

2) the economy would improve because there would be a stimulation of economic demand. Capitalism 101.

Raising the minimum wage to 10.10 an hour would kill about 500,000 jobs according to the CBO. HOWEVER IT WOULD IMPROVE THE WAGES OF 24 MILLION PEOPLE who really do need the extra income. 900,000 people would be lifted out of poverty. The good far outweighs the bad. Again, less reliance on food stamps.

Minimum-wage hike would help alleviate poverty, but could kill jobs, CBO reports - The Washington Post

In a healthy, expanding economy, you can have it both ways. Here's how, employers compete for labor which is done through higher wages and more benefits (straight minimum wage is not even a discussion). In a tight labor market, more people are working, less are on food stamps. We have not been in such a position since Bush in 2004-2006. Clinton also did it in 1995-2000.

All you need is a a President and Congress willing to pursue such policies. However, current policies such as increased regulation, mandates, high corporate tax rates, keep cash on the sidelines, companies don't hire at the same rates. Hence, we have more people on food stamps and need to have debates about mandating higher wages instead of organically increasing wages.

Market-Driven is the answer.

His "random Google search" just blew your argument out of the water, Billy. Forbes is nowhere close to being biased. One knows an argument is defeated when you attack his source, and not his argument. Ignoratio elenchi, my friend.

Ok then explain how I am wrong. You can't.

And you're stupid if you think Forbes isn't biased. It is just as crooked as Fox News.

You are an idiot. The poverty line based on numbers. It's not some abstract concept.

Your 15% number is still wrong

It Is Not True That 15% Of Americans Live In Poverty - Forbes

Oh my god you are such an idiot. You and I both know you just did a random google search and settled on Forbes. Secondly, Forbes is incredibly biased. That idiot author is saying the 15% figure is bogus because of welfare programs. He is just giving a subjective opinion about what it means to be poor. He doesn't even provide objective facts about the definition of the poverty line. The poverty line is based on income. Good god. That's a new low for Forbes I must say.

Then prove that it is false.

If people who make a certain income get all kinds of free shit that we pay for then they are no longer living in poverty are they?

Look Zombie, I lived in poverty I know what it's like and the fact that you are whining about wages makes me believe you have no experience with poverty.

If I couldn't live on the wages from one job I worked two jobs until I had enough experience to get a better paying job.

That's how you get out of poverty.

Hmm and yet 15% of the population lives below the poverty line.

Make up your mind. Is it some arbitrary poverty line or minimum wage that you're crying about?

The so called poverty line is a made up number used by politicians to expand government programs.

Tell me how is it that we have has a war on poverty for years and no one is better off?

Could it be because the poverty line is fake?

You are an idiot. The poverty line based on numbers. It's not some abstract concept.

If you don't like the source then find your own and prove that the statement is wrong.

Make up your mind. Is it some arbitrary poverty line or minimum wage that you're crying about?

The so called poverty line is a made up number used by politicians to expand government programs.

Tell me how is it that we have has a war on poverty for years and no one is better off?

Could it be because the poverty line is fake?

If you don't like the source then find your own and prove that the statement is wrong.

he just likes to argue, basically just another troll on this board

Oh my god you are such an idiot. You and I both know you just did a random google search and settled on Forbes. Secondly, Forbes is incredibly biased. That idiot author is saying the 15% figure is bogus because of welfare programs. He is just giving a subjective opinion about what it means to be poor. He doesn't even provide objective facts about the definition of the poverty line. The poverty line is based on income. Good god. That's a new low for Forbes I must say.

If people who make a certain income get all kinds of free shit that we pay for then they are no longer living in poverty are they?

Look Zombie, I lived in poverty I know what it's like and the fact that you are whining about wages makes me believe you have no experience with poverty.

If I couldn't live on the wages from one job I worked two jobs until I had enough experience to get a better paying job.

Lol what am I supposed to disprove? The article is completely subjective. Secondly, only a small few of the population is on welfare.

As long as there are low wages, we will have poor people.

You're failing at this.

You can't bitch and whine about keeping the minimum wage as it is and expect people not to be on food stamps.

The minimum wage isn't even $10 an hour. Tell me, repubs, could you live on that wage? The average fast food worker is 29 despite the fact that those companies are making record profits.

You all seem to believe in this fallacy that ANYONE could get a well paying job if they tried their darndest. That's moronic. There will always be poor working people as long as there are low wage jobs. Many single parents can't raise their kids on $10 an hour despite having a full time job. Should their kids be punished because their parents can't bring home a decent pay check?

2) the economy would improve because there would be a stimulation of economic demand. Capitalism 101.

Raising the minimum wage to 10.10 an hour would kill about 500,000 jobs according to the CBO. HOWEVER IT WOULD IMPROVE THE WAGES OF 24 MILLION PEOPLE who really do need the extra income. 900,000 people would be lifted out of poverty. The good far outweighs the bad. Again, less reliance on food stamps.

Minimum-wage hike would help alleviate poverty, but could kill jobs, CBO reports - The Washington Post

Should people be rewarded in spite of making bad, unproductive decisions? Losers flood the landscape...let them suffer until they figure out what has to be done. Let their friends, families, churches assist them until they get a clue. Leave the free enterprise system alone.

Lol what am I supposed to disprove? The article is completely subjective. Secondly, only a small few of the population is on welfare.

You're failing at this.

You can prove that after you add in the value of all the free shit people get that they are still below the poverty line. But you won't because it disagrees with your preconceptions.

Like i said you have absolutely no idea what it means to be poor you're just parroting back the party line.

You're failing at this.

You can prove that after you add in the value of all the free shit people get that they are still below the poverty line. But you won't because it disagrees with your preconceptions.

Like i said you have absolutely no idea what it means to be poor you're just parroting back the party line.

Okay give me the stats on people getting "free shit" living above the poverty line. You cant.

If you're going to tell us how you lived like a king on MINIMUM WAGES back in the day?

Please tell us what year.

Why?

Because there was a time when if you made minimum wages (and lived someplace not too expensive) you COULD STILL live indoors.

That would have been around 1969 or so went MW was about $1.50 and one could live on like $60 a week.

Yeah that's right $60 a week was enough to rent an apartment and have a modest life back then.

Try that now on MW x 40 and I suspect you will not be able to live INDOORS.

If you're going to tell us how you lived like a king on MINIMUM WAGES back in the day?

Please tell us what year.

Why?

Because there was a time when if you made minimum wages (and lived someplace not too expensive) you COULD STILL live indoors.

That would have been around 1969 or so went MW was about $1.50 and one could live on like $60 a week.

Yeah that's right $60 a week was enough to rent an apartment and have a modest life back then.

Try that now on MW x 40 and I suspect you will not be able to live INDOORS.

ok, if you say so
funny, I still live indoors...might of had to work a second job but I didn't live off my fellow taxpayers backs

Last edited:

You're failing at this.

Okay give me the stats on people getting "free shit" living above the poverty line. You cant.

Easy, just read a dictionary.

WordNet Search - 3.1

Then tell me how those folks living off the government meet that definition. Being genuinely poor means you have little to no possessions or money of your own. Government dependents? In poverty? Are you kidding me?

billyboy, a useful tool for all things government and the Democrat party

This is why our country is doomed

Carmac the Ignorant.

We have an economy that if we want it to expand and grow, absolutely depends on consumer spending.
Yet there are way to many idiots like carmac that are so fucking stupid that they think forcing people to live on the least amount of money they can be paid is somehow going to have advantages for our economy long term.

Fucking idiots.

That allowing corporations to pay at a rate that forces people to live at a level that REQUIRES them to seek government assistance if they want to feed their families, is some how a good thing for employees.

Fucking idiots.

People on here that think that a major corporation making tens of millions in profit will somehow go bankrupt if they have to pay a small percentage of their workforce a dollar more on the hour.

Fucking idiots.

Then we have temple of bullshit. Fucking idiot. Nuff said. Live off 5.15 an hour. You sure contributed a lot to the economy. Just like you do now. If our economy depended on people like you to spend their money to create demand and jobs, on your less than minimum wage earnings, we are fucked.

The stupid runs strong in this one. There are so many fallacies this board does not bandwidth sufficient to explain all of them.

The stupid runs strong in this one. There are so many fallacies this board does not bandwidth sufficient to explain all of them.

You're so full of shit. There are no fallacies and you know it. Go ahead. Give me one.

You're so full of shit. There are no fallacies and you know it. Go ahead. Give me one.

The average fast food worker. Like the average fast food worker makes min wage.
/over

You're failing at this.

It's your stand that the article in forbes is untrue so you prove your own assumption.

I'll even tell you how,

Find the value of all government programs, food stamps, rent assistance etc and add it to the income of your people in poverty and see what you get. I'll bet it puts them over the arbitrary poverty line.

Forum List

Back