Hey republicans you can't have it both ways

You can't bitch and whine about keeping the minimum wage as it is and expect people not to be on food stamps.

The minimum wage isn't even $10 an hour. Tell me, repubs, could you live on that wage? The average fast food worker is 29 despite the fact that those companies are making record profits.

You all seem to believe in this fallacy that ANYONE could get a well paying job if they tried their darndest. That's moronic. There will always be poor working people as long as there are low wage jobs. Many single parents can't raise their kids on $10 an hour despite having a full time job. Should their kids be punished because their parents can't bring home a decent pay check?

Hey guess what raising the minimum wage would do?

1) less people would be on food stamps

2) the economy would improve because there would be a stimulation of economic demand. Capitalism 101.

Raising the minimum wage to 10.10 an hour would kill about 500,000 jobs according to the CBO. HOWEVER IT WOULD IMPROVE THE WAGES OF 24 MILLION PEOPLE who really do need the extra income. 900,000 people would be lifted out of poverty. The good far outweighs the bad. Again, less reliance on food stamps.

Minimum-wage hike would help alleviate poverty, but could kill jobs, CBO reports - The Washington Post

Less than 3% of workers make minimum wage. Most of those people are under 25 and some of those people work in service where they also get tips.

There are not millions upon millions of people trying to raise a family on minimum wage so quit the histrionics already.

You can't bitch and whine about keeping the minimum wage as it is and expect people not to be on food stamps.

The minimum wage isn't even $10 an hour. Tell me, repubs, could you live on that wage? The average fast food worker is 29 despite the fact that those companies are making record profits.

You all seem to believe in this fallacy that ANYONE could get a well paying job if they tried their darndest. That's moronic. There will always be poor working people as long as there are low wage jobs. Many single parents can't raise their kids on $10 an hour despite having a full time job. Should their kids be punished because their parents can't bring home a decent pay check?

2) the economy would improve because there would be a stimulation of economic demand. Capitalism 101.

Raising the minimum wage to 10.10 an hour would kill about 500,000 jobs according to the CBO. HOWEVER IT WOULD IMPROVE THE WAGES OF 24 MILLION PEOPLE who really do need the extra income. 900,000 people would be lifted out of poverty. The good far outweighs the bad. Again, less reliance on food stamps.

Minimum-wage hike would help alleviate poverty, but could kill jobs, CBO reports - The Washington Post

Less than 3% of workers make minimum wage. Most of those people are under 25 and some of those people work in service where they also get tips.

There are not millions upon millions of people trying to raise a family on minimum wage so quit the histrionics already.

You are full of shit. Give me a source or shut up.

Well, how dare we expect people to take care of themselves...They used to have pride and work two jobs if they had to...but today that's just EXPECTING too much from them..So it's up to you who owns business to take care of them...How do you like that new rule in the United States of America...

I'd close my business down first and go jump on the taxpayer gravy train (welfare, food stamps etc)if that's the case and let them go live off the back of people like the op

Hey Steph could you live on 10 an hour even if it was full time?

If I couldn't I would work another job.

What is so sacred about only working 40 hours a week anyway?

Well, how dare we expect people to take care of themselves...They used to have pride and work two jobs if they had to...but today that's just EXPECTING too much from them..So it's up to you who owns business to take care of them...How do you like that new rule in the United States of America...

I'd close my business down first and go jump on the taxpayer gravy train (welfare, food stamps etc)if that's the case and let them go live off the back of people like the op

Hey Steph could you live on 10 an hour even if it was full time?

If I couldn't I would work another job.

What is so sacred about only working 40 hours a week anyway?

You greedy meanie!

Suck on this.

Who makes minimum wage? | Pew Research Center

The controversy over Washington, D.C.’s “living wage” ordinance, which may prompt Wal-Mart to pull out of as many as six new stores planned for the city, has drawn new attention to those near the bottom of the nation’s wage ladder. The ordinance would require large, non-union retailers to pay their workers above the District’s $8.25-an-hour minimum wage. But who are minimum-wage earners, exactly?

Perhaps surprisingly, not very many people earn minimum wage, and they make up a smaller share of the workforce than they used to. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, last year 1.566 million hourly workers earned the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour; nearly two million more earned less than that because they fell under one of several exemptions (tipped employees, full-time students, certain disabled workers and others), for a total of 3.55 million hourly workers at or below the federal minimum.

That group represents 4.7% of the nation’s 75.3 million hourly-paid workers and 2.8% of all workers.

And if you must know, when I was 19 years old, I sustained myself on $5.15 an hour. Yeah you heard me. I was nothing but a bag boy at my local grocer. It was enough for me to buy food, clothing and some entertainment while I lived on my own for the next 6 months.

Unlike you, I made do with less than $10 an hour. You teach someone the value of saving their money, they wouldn't need to demand higher wages!

How much was your rent when you made $5.15?

How much was your health insurance?

How much did you spend on transportation costs?

I paid 80 bucks a month for rent when I lived with my father, did not have any health insurance, and paid about $35 bucks a week taking a cab to work (the fares were nuts, but hey, the bus didn't run near where I lived). I didn't pay for the cable, thus I had no cable. No internet either. No landline. Only way I could call anyone was through my cell phone. All of that sum total, food, clothing, a movie here or there, and not being able to pay for electricity on my own or for the water, earning less than $560 a month; almost three quarters of my checks were allocated to necessities.

My father wanted me to live on the streets, my grandmother wanted me to have shelter. So she lent me her place while she recovered from a severe illness at his place, she offered to pay the electricity bill and the water bill while I appeased my father's demands. The 100 bucks I had left each month was spent as I so pleased. Now if you don't mind, you will cease inquiring as to my personal life, and get back on topic.

This proves you know little about me. So stop judging me.

Suck on this.

The controversy over Washington, D.C.’s “living wage” ordinance, which may prompt Wal-Mart to pull out of as many as six new stores planned for the city, has drawn new attention to those near the bottom of the nation’s wage ladder. The ordinance would require large, non-union retailers to pay their workers above the District’s $8.25-an-hour minimum wage. But who are minimum-wage earners, exactly?

Perhaps surprisingly, not very many people earn minimum wage, and they make up a smaller share of the workforce than they used to. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, last year 1.566 million hourly workers earned the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour; nearly two million more earned less than that because they fell under one of several exemptions (tipped employees, full-time students, certain disabled workers and others), for a total of 3.55 million hourly workers at or below the federal minimum.

That group represents 4.7% of the nation’s 75.3 million hourly-paid workers and 2.8% of all workers.

Hmm and yet 15% of the population lives below the poverty line.

I'd close my business down first if that's the case and let them go live off the back of people like the op

Closing your business would be one option.... but then you'd have to apply for food stamps.

I'd stop hiring disposable workers and train the one's I keep to produce more than $10.10 per hour.

And if you must know, when I was 19 years old, I sustained myself on $5.15 an hour. Yeah you heard me. I was nothing but a bag boy at my local grocer. It was enough for me to buy food, clothing and some entertainment while I lived on my own for the next 6 months.

Unlike you, I made do with less than $10 an hour. You teach someone the value of saving their money, they wouldn't need to demand higher wages!

I paid 80 bucks a month for rent when I lived with my father, did not have any health insurance, and paid about $35 bucks a week taking a cab to work (the fares were nuts, but hey, the bus didn't run near where I lived). I didn't pay for the cable, thus I had no cable. No internet either. No landline. Only way I could call anyone was through my cell phone. All of that sum total, food, clothing, a movie here or there, and not being able to pay for electricity on my own or for the water, earning less than $560 a month; almost three quarters of my checks were allocated to necessities.

My father wanted me to live on the streets, my grandmother wanted me to have shelter. So she lent me her place while she recovered from a severe illness at his place, she offered to pay the electricity bill and the water bill while I appeased my father's demands. The 100 bucks I had left each month was spent as I so pleased. Now if you don't mind, you will cease inquiring as to my personal life, and get back on topic.

I knew you were full of shit. No one paying their own expenses can live on that wage idiot.

Suck on this.

That has nothing to do with what he just said.

I'd close my business down first if that's the case and let them go live off the back of people like the op

Closing your business would be one option.... but then you'd have to apply for food stamps.

I'd stop hiring disposable workers and train the one's I keep to produce more than $10.10 per hour.

I realize that, but with people's attitude like the op's, I sometimes think... why not just go live off his back..working and finding a way to support oneself without needing (taxpayers) help seems to be a new concept for some in this day and age

Last edited:

Suck on this.

Make up your mind. Is it some arbitrary poverty line or minimum wage that you're crying about?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/10/06/it-is-not-true-that-15-of-americans-live-in-poverty/

Last edited:

Make up your mind. Is it some arbitrary poverty line or minimum wage that you're crying about?

The so called poverty line is a made up number used by politicians to expand government programs.

Tell me how is it that we have has a war on poverty for years and no one is better off?

Could it be because the poverty line is fake?

You are an idiot. The poverty line based on numbers. It's not some abstract concept.

I realize that, but with people's attitude like the op's, I sometimes think... why not just go live off his back..working and finding a way to support oneself without needing (taxpayers) help seems to be a new concept for some in this day and age

That's where we are now.

The moment it becomes tough we decide we're victims, it's someone else's fault and responsibility, and that's it.

The implications of this cultural shift are not good.

The so called poverty line is a made up number used by politicians to expand government programs.

Tell me how is it that we have has a war on poverty for years and no one is better off?

You are an idiot. The poverty line based on numbers. It's not some abstract concept.

Your 15% number is still wrong

It Is Not True That 15% Of Americans Live In Poverty - Forbes

I knew you were full of shit. No one paying their own expenses can live on that wage idiot.

I did. Care to try again, you mindless buffoon? I learned how to save money. I didn't demand higher wages. I was grateful for what I earned. You liberals on the other hand are ingrates! Nothing ever satisfies you, ever.

That's where we are now.

The moment it becomes tough we decide we're victims, it's someone else's fault and responsibility, and that's it.

The implications of this cultural shift are not good.

Well you have a party in government telling you a new Entitlement (OscamCare) will FREE you up from job lock, we shouldn't expect much more..I'm about at the end of my work life and it saddens me to see where our country has gone...what they don't realize, this party doesn't have their best interest at heart, because one they get on government assistance, it's the POLITICIAN that is in POWER over them. Democrats are evil in my book

Last edited:
This is the obama economy, i see it is the liberals are the ones doing the complaining. You voted for this failure twice. So i only have one thing to say to all the liberals. Shut the fuck up, it's your fault we are this way.

Your 15% number is still wrong

It Is Not True That 15% Of Americans Live In Poverty - Forbes

Oh my god you are such an idiot. You and I both know you just did a random google search and settled on Forbes. Secondly, Forbes is incredibly biased. That idiot author is saying the 15% figure is bogus because of welfare programs. He is just giving a subjective opinion about what it means to be poor. He doesn't even provide objective facts about the definition of the poverty line. The poverty line is based on income. Good god. That's a new low for Forbes I must say.

His "random Google search" just blew your argument out of the water, Billy. Forbes is nowhere close to being biased. One knows an argument is defeated when you attack his source, and not his argument. Ignoratio elenchi, my friend.

Forum List

Back