Hey republicans you can't have it both ways

You can prove that after you add in the value of all the free shit people get that they are still below the poverty line. But you won't because it disagrees with your preconceptions.

Like i said you have absolutely no idea what it means to be poor you're just parroting back the party line.

Okay give me the stats on people getting "free shit" living above the poverty line. You cant.

It's your stand that the article in forbes is untrue so you prove your own assumption.

I'll even tell you how,

Find the value of all government programs, food stamps, rent assistance etc and add it to the income of your people in poverty and see what you get. I'll bet it puts them over the arbitrary poverty line.

You righties have no knowledge of the most basic facts about welfare.

Take food stamps for example. The average SNAP recipient receives $133 a month and has an average MONTHLY income of $744. That is per household mind you. Anyone on food stamps needs it direly.

Well, how dare we expect people to take care of themselves...They used to have pride and work two jobs if they had to...but today that's just EXPECTING too much from them..So it's up to you who owns business to take care of them...How do you like that new rule in the United States of America...

I'd close my business down first and go jump on the taxpayer gravy train (welfare, food stamps etc)if that's the case and let them go live off the back of people like the op

Hey Steph could you live on 10 an hour even if it was full time?

I can't speak for steph, but I have worked minimum wage jobs and lived on them. You assume people have only 40 hours a week to work. Take one full time at 40 and one part time at 20, and odd jobs in between.

Not easy and not fun, but eventually someone notices the work ethic you have and moves you into a position that can utilize that ethic at a much better wage and fewer hours.

Yep, that's how it's done.

You can't bitch and whine about keeping the minimum wage as it is and expect people not to be on food stamps.

The minimum wage isn't even $10 an hour. Tell me, repubs, could you live on that wage? The average fast food worker is 29 despite the fact that those companies are making record profits.

You all seem to believe in this fallacy that ANYONE could get a well paying job if they tried their darndest. That's moronic. There will always be poor working people as long as there are low wage jobs. Many single parents can't raise their kids on $10 an hour despite having a full time job. Should their kids be punished because their parents can't bring home a decent pay check?

Hey guess what raising the minimum wage would do?

1) less people would be on food stamps

2) the economy would improve because there would be a stimulation of economic demand. Capitalism 101.

Raising the minimum wage to 10.10 an hour would kill about 500,000 jobs according to the CBO. HOWEVER IT WOULD IMPROVE THE WAGES OF 24 MILLION PEOPLE who really do need the extra income. 900,000 people would be lifted out of poverty. The good far outweighs the bad. Again, less reliance on food stamps.

Minimum-wage hike would help alleviate poverty, but could kill jobs, CBO reports - The Washington Post

You can't bitch about people not earning a higher wage when you keep them on food stamps, genius. Speak for yourself. Stop encouraging government dependence, and perhaps they could start venturing out and earning higher wages!

/thread

They are on food stamps because the employer does not pay a wage they can support themselves on. The employer is being subsidized by the taxpayer for maintaining low wages

Hike the minimum wage up AND STOP LETTING ANY ILLEGAL WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE INTO OUR COUNTRY. Australia and New Zealand BOTH have very high minimum wages, but only to CITIZENS. Guess what? Low unemployment rates. Amazing, huh?

You can't bitch about people not earning a higher wage when you keep them on food stamps, genius. Speak for yourself. Stop encouraging government dependence, and perhaps they could start venturing out and earning higher wages!

/thread

And now the guy who doesn't have a job gives us his expert opinion. Remind us again how you mooch off your grandma and don't pay a cent for any of your own living expenses.

Is that what it means to be personally responsible?

I don't mooch off of her. I work for my room and board. If you haven't already noticed, you judgmental prick.

Mooching justified!

And if you must know, when I was 19 years old, I sustained myself on $5.15 an hour. Yeah you heard me. I was nothing but a bag boy at my local grocer. It was enough for me to buy food, clothing and some entertainment while I lived on my own for the next 6 months.

Unlike you, I made do with less than $10 an hour. You teach someone the value of saving their money, they wouldn't need to demand higher wages!

How much was your rent when you made $5.15?

How much was your health insurance?

How much did you spend on transportation costs?

I paid 80 bucks a month for rent when I lived with my father, did not have any health insurance, and paid about $35 bucks a week taking a cab to work (the fares were nuts, but hey, the bus didn't run near where I lived). I didn't pay for the cable, thus I had no cable. No internet either. No landline. Only way I could call anyone was through my cell phone. All of that sum total, food, clothing, a movie here or there, and not being able to pay for electricity on my own or for the water, earning less than $560 a month; almost three quarters of my checks were allocated to necessities.

My father wanted me to live on the streets, my grandmother wanted me to have shelter. So she lent me her place while she recovered from a severe illness at his place, she offered to pay the electricity bill and the water bill while I appeased my father's demands. The 100 bucks I had left each month was spent as I so pleased. Now if you don't mind, you will cease inquiring as to my personal life, and get back on topic.

This proves you know little about me. So stop judging me.

LOL, you paid $80/month for rent and you think THAT is proof that it's possible to live on minimum wage?? Haha, when you grow up and join the real world and know how much real life actually costs, then you get back to me. Until then, just let grandma keep paying for the roof over your head, the food in your stomach and the diapers on your ass.

You can't bitch and whine about keeping the minimum wage as it is and expect people not to be on food stamps.

The minimum wage isn't even $10 an hour. Tell me, repubs, could you live on that wage? The average fast food worker is 29 despite the fact that those companies are making record profits.

You all seem to believe in this fallacy that ANYONE could get a well paying job if they tried their darndest. That's moronic. There will always be poor working people as long as there are low wage jobs. Many single parents can't raise their kids on $10 an hour despite having a full time job. Should their kids be punished because their parents can't bring home a decent pay check?

2) the economy would improve because there would be a stimulation of economic demand. Capitalism 101.

Raising the minimum wage to 10.10 an hour would kill about 500,000 jobs according to the CBO. HOWEVER IT WOULD IMPROVE THE WAGES OF 24 MILLION PEOPLE who really do need the extra income. 900,000 people would be lifted out of poverty. The good far outweighs the bad. Again, less reliance on food stamps.

Minimum-wage hike would help alleviate poverty, but could kill jobs, CBO reports - The Washington Post

Increasing minimum wage only shifts the arbitrary numeric value of the bottom rung... those poorest will still be the poorest... others in better positions will still make more.. the only thing that succeeds in happening is increasing the price of good to the public by increasing the cost of labor.. which is dealt with by finding better ways to accomplish the task by not having human labor (watch out for touch screen P.O.S. devices when cashiers are to get $10+ dollars an hour)

The federal government is not charged with taking care of your personal needs.. and food stamps should not be in the federal government to begin with

I paid 80 bucks a month for rent when I lived with my father, did not have any health insurance, and paid about $35 bucks a week taking a cab to work (the fares were nuts, but hey, the bus didn't run near where I lived). I didn't pay for the cable, thus I had no cable. No internet either. No landline. Only way I could call anyone was through my cell phone. All of that sum total, food, clothing, a movie here or there, and not being able to pay for electricity on my own or for the water, earning less than $560 a month; almost three quarters of my checks were allocated to necessities.

My father wanted me to live on the streets, my grandmother wanted me to have shelter. So she lent me her place while she recovered from a severe illness at his place, she offered to pay the electricity bill and the water bill while I appeased my father's demands. The 100 bucks I had left each month was spent as I so pleased. Now if you don't mind, you will cease inquiring as to my personal life, and get back on topic.

I knew you were full of shit. No one paying their own expenses can live on that wage idiot.

I did. Care to try again, you mindless buffoon? I learned how to save money. I didn't demand higher wages. I was grateful for what I earned. You liberals on the other hand are ingrates! Nothing ever satisfies you, ever.

Of course you're grateful. You get everything handed to you for free!

How much was your rent when you made $5.15?

How much was your health insurance?

How much did you spend on transportation costs?

LOL, you paid $80/month for rent and you think THAT is proof that it's possible to live on minimum wage?? Haha, when you grow up and join the real world and know how much real life actually costs, then you get back to me. Until then, just let grandma keep paying for the roof over your head, the food in your stomach and the diapers on your ass.

I don't have a problem with him living off his grandmother. That is what families are for

What I have a problem with is his mocking of those who struggle to support a family while he personally is in no condition to do better

You can't bitch about people not earning a higher wage when you keep them on food stamps, genius. Speak for yourself. Stop encouraging government dependence, and perhaps they could start venturing out and earning higher wages! TK

Last edited:
Left-wing nutjobs

YOU cant have it both ways

you cant brag about how many jobs obama has supposedly created; while at the same time insisting Republicans are heartless for asking why the RECORD WELFARE AND FOOD STAMPS UNDER OBAMA cant be cut from their current EMERGENCY LEVELS set at the end of the Bush years and beginning of the Obama years

idiots and hypocrites

Increasing minimum wage only shifts the arbitrary numeric value of the bottom rung... those poorest will still be the poorest... others in better positions will still make more.. the only thing that succeeds in happening is increasing the price of good to the public by increasing the cost of labor.. which is dealt with by finding better ways to accomplish the task by not having human labor (watch out for touch screen P.O.S. devices when cashiers are to get $10+ dollars an hour)

The federal government is not charged with taking care of your personal needs.. and food stamps should not be in the federal government to begin with

You assume prices will increase to zero sum. That's not true. Prices will increase but not to the level of making the wage increase obsolete. You forget about the stimulation of economic demand that will result from higher wages

Well, how dare we expect people to take care of themselves...They used to have pride and work two jobs if they had to...but today that's just EXPECTING too much from them..So it's up to you who owns business to take care of them...How do you like that new rule in the United States of America...

I'd close my business down first if that's the case and let them go live off the back of people like the op

Closing your business would be one option.... but then you'd have to apply for food stamps.

I'd stop hiring disposable workers and train the one's I keep to produce more than $10.10 per hour.

I realize that, but with people's attitude like the op's, I sometimes think... why not just go live off his back..working and finding a way to support oneself without needing (taxpayers) help seems to be a new concept for some in this day and age

I understand... I simply can't justify handing control of destiny over like that. Better to work your own leads.

You assume prices will increase to zero sum. That's not true. Prices will increase but not to the level of making the wage increase obsolete. You forget about the stimulation of economic demand that will result from higher wages

It does not stimulate a damn thing.. as stated, it simply shifts the numeric value of the bottom... a shifting floor.. no more, no less... and where the increase in the price of labor then becomes more than the price to automate or replace such labor, the employer will switch away from labor and to the automation in order to be more competitive in the price war...

Raising the minimum wage by this bullshit 30+% amount is a negative, not a positive... sounds good to the idiot masses who the dems try to fool for votes... it makes for a great slogan.. but that is about all... in actuality, it will hurt employment and do absolutely nothing in terms of getting anyone out of poverty.. those working on the lowest rung will remain on the lowest rung

Forget it. You;re arguing with people who swear unemployment stimulates the economy and there is a multiplier to government spending. It's a lost cause.

it amazes me how left-wingers who's cities and states totter on the brink of financial ruin or are actually in bankruptcy; have the nerve to keep trying to lecture others on what is sound fiscal or economic policy

idiots and hypocrites

it amazes me how left-wingers who's cities and states totter on the brink of financial ruin or are actually in bankruptcy; have the nerve to keep trying to lecture others on what is sound fiscal or economic policy

idiots and hypocrites

It's because taxes arent high enough and the rich have all the money. Don't your read these boards?

Don't make me laugh. Do empty headed liberals actually think an increase in minimum wage will cut the food stamp usage? Actually the way libs are going small business owners might end up on food stamps after complying with all the federal regulations.

It does not stimulate a damn thing.. as stated, it simply shifts the numeric value of the bottom... a shifting floor.. no more, no less... and where the increase in the price of labor then becomes more than the price to automate or replace such labor, the employer will switch away from labor and to the automation in order to be more competitive in the price war...

Raising the minimum wage by this bullshit 30+% amount is a negative, not a positive... sounds good to the idiot masses who the dems try to fool for votes... it makes for a great slogan.. but that is about all... in actuality, it will hurt employment and do absolutely nothing in terms of getting anyone out of poverty.. those working on the lowest rung will remain on the lowest rung

How do you people not understand the concept of consumer spending? Higher wages mean more consumer spending.

How do you people not understand the concept of consumer spending? Higher wages mean more consumer spending.

No, higher wages mean higher prices. How do you not understand supply and demand? Oh yeah, you're ignorant.

Forum List

Back