History Quiz

Here is what I found from the "official UK Royal site:

'God Save The King' was a patriotic song first publicly performed in London in 1745, which came to be referred to as the National Anthem from the beginning of the nineteenth century. The words and tune are anonymous, and may date back to the seventeenth century.

In September 1745 the 'Young Pretender' to the British Throne, Prince Charles Edward Stuart, defeated the army of King George II at Prestonpans, near Edinburgh.

In a fit of patriotic fervour after news of Prestonpans had reached London, the leader of the band at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, arranged 'God Save The King' for performance after a play. It was a tremendous success and was repeated nightly thereafter.

This practice soon spread to other theatres, and the custom of greeting monarchs with the song as he or she entered a place of public entertainment was thus established.

There is no authorised version of the National Anthem as the words are a matter of tradition. Additional verses have been added down the years, but these are rarely used.

The words used are those sung in 1745, substituting 'Queen' for 'King' where appropriate. On official occasions, only the first verse is usually sung, as follows:

God save our gracious Queen!
Long live our noble Queen!
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen.

An additional verse is occasionally sung:

Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour,
Long may she reign.
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen.

The British tune has been used in other countries - as European visitors to Britain in the eighteenth century noticed the advantage of a country possessing such a recognised musical symbol - including Germany, Russia, Switzerland and America (where use of the tune continued after independence).

Some 140 composers, including Beethoven, Haydn and Brahms, have used the tune in their compositions.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page317.asp

padisha emperor said:
I have not really a link.

You'll certainly find it on Google ;)

Hint : Haendel stole thins anthem. (the music and lyrics)

Too bad you dont have a link..the only references I can find (like the one above) all indicate that the author was anonymous (more likely forgotten). I am trying to find out who the band leader was at the named place on Drury lane during that time...

I like this as it is making me do some research!

Looked up Haendel and found a chronology....doesn't mention him being responsible for the anthem, though he certainly was a figure during the time period...interesting tidbits about his works in 1749 (humorous in some ways)

http://www.gfhandel.org/

Answer :

The King of France Louis XIV had health problem : he had a medical intervention to health his posterior (ass), with this problem, he was not able to sit on the Throne. So, after the medical intervention : the King was perfectly restablished, and to thank God, who saved the King, he ask Jean-Baptiste Lully, compositor of the King, to create a music piece. Lully did it, did the music, and there were also lyrics.
This "song" had a lot of success at Versailles. And Haendel heard this music, and find it really good.
Then, he went to England - he was the official compositor of the english King - and bring this music of Lully, with a translation of the french lyrics : "Dieu sauve notre gracieux Roi, Dieu sauve notre noble Roi, Dieu sauve le Roi....." >> "God save our gracious King, God save our noble King, God save the King......" .

he signed this song with his name, and this song had the same sucess in ngland than in France, and then, it became the British Anthem.

So, on this point, Haendel is a thief, the song was written by Jean-Baptiste Lully, for the King of France Louis XIV...

So, the british Anthem is a french song, and all the british supporters singing in the football and rugby stadiums are singing a french musical piece ;)

Ask a question, CSM ;)

padisha emperor said:
Answer :

The King of France Louis XIV had health problem : he had a medical intervention to health his posterior (ass), with this problem, he was not able to sit on the Throne. So, after the medical intervention : the King was perfectly restablished, and to thank God, who saved the King, he ask Jean-Baptiste Lully, compositor of the King, to create a music piece. Lully did it, did the music, and there were also lyrics.
This "song" had a lot of success at Versailles. And Haendel heard this music, and find it really good.
Then, he went to England - he was the official compositor of the english King - and bring this music of Lully, with a translation of the french lyrics : "Dieu sauve notre gracieux Roi, Dieu sauve notre noble Roi, Dieu sauve le Roi....." >> "God save our gracious King, God save our noble King, God save the King......" .

he signed this song with his name, and this song had the same sucess in ngland than in France, and then, it became the British Anthem.

So, on this point, Haendel is a thief, the song was written by Jean-Baptiste Lully, for the King of France Louis XIV...

So, the british Anthem is a french song, and all the british supporters singing in the football and rugby stadiums are singing a french musical piece ;)

Ask a question, CSM ;)
I dont know PE...not to be argumentative (you may be entirely correct) but I cannot seem to find ANYTHING outlining it as you describe....

Since I could not give the right answer, I do believe you get to ask another.

oh yeah ...one more thing...wasn't Lully an Italian? (born in Florence I believe)
though he did live in France .

Your story makes sense as Lully lived in the 1600's. The Brits may have conviently "forgotten" who wrote it.

According to the French encyclopaedia, Quid, the music is by Giam Battista Lulli (Jean-Baptiste Lully in the French form). It was loosely based on a hymn sung when the (French) king arrived at an event, Domine Salvum Fac Regem. When Louis XIV was scheduled to open the educational institution at St-Cyr (1686), his mistress (later, queen), the Marquise de Maintenon, commissioned Lully to write the tune to be sung by the pupils as Dieu Protège le Roi. The French, apparently, did not use it again until 1745 at which time the Old Pretender, claiming to be King James III of England, was organising his rebellion from France (he lived at St-Germain-de-Laye). Madame de Maintenon presented him with the words and music as his National Anthem. (It is not clear who wrote the English words but the implication is that Mme de Maintenon either wrote them herself or commissioned them.) The song was sung for the first time in Britain when Bonnie Prince Charlie landed in Scotland. There are apparently some legal testaments to this story.
BTW England has never officially adopted a national anthem even though this song was the first "national anthem" and the song that started the craze that other countries followed, first by translating the English text and later by getting more creative and writing original works.

http://ingeb.org/songs/godsaveo.html

Imagine, if you will, 300 well-born ladies sweetly singing (if 300 of anything can sound sweet) God Save the... Ooops... Sauvez le roi, as Louis XIV wandered in on a visit. Louis had had an unpleasant operation and was just getting back on his feet. This was the grand opening of the St. Cyr School for young women created for the daughters of the down-at-the-heels petty aristocracy. Lully wrote the music but that has been lost. The school was the brain-child of Mme de Maintenon -- the king's mistress -- who, by now, was secretly his wife. (Things could be complicated in the 17th century.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The French text is by Mme de Brinon a great pal of Mme de Maintenon.

Grand Dieu sauvez le roi
Grand Dieu vengez le roi
Vive le roi.
Qu'à jamais glorieux
Louis victorieux
Voie ses ennemis toujours soumis
Vive le roi.

The English text is anonymous.

God Save our Gracious King.
Long live our noble King.
God save the King.
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us
God save the King.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mitford in her book The Sun King says that this was the direct source of God Save The King. The author of the English words is really unknown.

http://www.classicalarchives.com/articles/article0012.html

Jean-Baptise Lully was born in Florence, yes.
He has italian origins, but was French (maybe he was french as soon as he was born, or get the nationality later, I don't know)

padisha emperor said:
Ok, next question....

hmmm...

your question CSM, gives to me an idea :

How many british soldiers were killed and wounded during the FIRST DAY of the french-british offensive of La Somme, 1916 ?

I think about 50,000 or so sounds right. I seem to remember the artillery bombardment beforehand which only scarred up the ground, and then the failure the "creeping barrage."

A CIA backed coup overthrew this Democratic Government on 9/11. Who was the leader that was overthrown, what country, and what year. In all fairness, the leader was a Marxist so we don't know how long the country would have stayed Democratic.

IControlThePast said:
A CIA backed coup overthrew this Democratic Government on 9/11. Who was the leader that was overthrown, what country, and what year. In all fairness, the leader was a Marxist so we don't know how long the country would have stayed Democratic.

Chile? Allende

IControlThePast said:

:cool: I remember that Chile and Iranian students uprising and Chicago heat and Monica's 'designs' were the only news that summer. :rolleyes: If only we knew what was to come in the fall, we could have enjoyed the lull.

The US Civil War was the most costly in US lives. There were several new inventions that contributed to that, which also serve as a harbinger of what WWI would look like when it came.

Name at least 3 of the 'weapons' or new devices that were introduced during the war.

padisha emperor said:
armoured boat, machine guns, rifles loeaded not by the gun (easier and better to load), repetition rifle (winchester with 15 bullets). ??

Not sure what the bold means, translation problem I'm sure. You got three anyways. I think probably the most important would include razor wire, (see trench warfare). That together with the introduction of the machine gun. :cry:

for the rifle : rifle loaded by the stick (not sure it's the correct word, but for "crosse de fusil" i got "stick of rifle"), not by the top of the gun (like before).

For the armoured boat, in fact, it was introduce for the first time during the Crimea war, 1856, and it was the french boat "La Gloire", built under the impulsion of Dupuy de Lôme... ;)

But I forgot the Davidley, I believe it was the first submarine used during war ops.

Anyway, great question.

Then, my turn ...

I have no idea yet (or you'ld find them boring :D ), so ask a question Kathianne

padisha emperor said:
for the rifle : rifle loaded by the stick (not sure it's the correct word, but for "crosse de fusil" i got "stick of rifle"), not by the top of the gun (like before).

For the armoured boat, in fact, it was introduce for the first time during the Crimea war, 1856, and it was the french boat "La Gloire", built under the impulsion of Dupuy de Lôme... ;)

But I forgot the Davidley, I believe it was the first submarine used during war ops.

Anyway, great question.

Then, my turn ...

I have no idea yet (or you'ld find them boring :D ), so ask a question Kathianne

Hardly boring, rather I haven't a clue without looking them up! But I'll give one anyways. :laugh:

This British immigrant to the American colonies really, really did NOT like monarchy. No doubt, this was formed from his many failures in Britain. He was a Deist. He met Franklin in Britain, who encouraged him to emigrate. His political bent started before he hit the colonies.

Once here, he wrote many tracts, but one very famous one, which could be said to have lit the fire for Revolution.

Who was he and what was the tract?

Forum List

Back