Hitler and the right

I am not a big fan of FDR, but let's be serious here.

I don't think FDR wanted to appease Hitler.

If anything, he was itching to get into the fight. And, good for him, too. :thup:

Would FDR appointment of Joe Kennedy and Joe Kennedy appeasement of Hitler tell you anything?

If anything, he was itching to get into the fight. And, good for him, too. :thup:

Would FDR appointment of Joe Kennedy and Joe Kennedy appeasement of Hitler tell you anything?

Not what you might imagine.

He may have straddled the fence a bit, for a time, but ultimately he came down on the side of trying to ENGAGE Nazi Germany.

Not what you might imagine.

He may have straddled the fence a bit, for a time, but ultimately he came down on the side of trying to ENGAGE Nazi Germany.

Would that be before or after Germany declared war on the U.S.?

After Pearl Harbor most Americans wanted to attack Japan but FDR believed the greater threat was Germany so Japan was put on hold. The threat with Germany was that the USSR would make some type of peace with Germany as she had in WWI leaving Britain to face Germany alone. To invade Europe we needed Britain and her land base.
As our resources went to the ETO the US military in the Pacific used leapfrog, and island hopping and navy to engage Japan. With those tactics America could use its limited Pacific resources by picking places we could land with somewhat superior forces. We avoided strongholds like Rabaul and Truk. Even so, Japan defended her bases with a tenacity that made the US wonder what would Japan proper would be like.

Before the defenders of Hitler was a right winger go into full meltdown I would like to point out that intense made a valid comment. The U.S. did not declare war on Germany until after Germany declared war on the U.S..
Yep, because the conservatives in Congress wanted to appease Hitler.

Complete nonsense. The strongest opponents of US inviolvement with Europe were Progressive members of Congress.

True, although FDR was actually more cautious about getting into the war itself than many people believed or believe.

Some folks can never grasp that there is fiscal conservatism and there is social conservatism. And, that a Classical Liberals are not one of the two.

And you are not a CL.
Actually, I am.

"Classical liberalism is a political ideology that advocates limited government, constitutionalism, rule of law, due process, individual liberties including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and free markets."

Classical liberalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia is one of the worst reference sources available.

True, although FDR was actually more cautious about getting into the war itself than many people believed or believe.

Yeah. But he was also doing lend lease, and that wasn't exactly the kind of thing that would have Adolf warming up to us.

And then there's that whole conspiracy notion that he knew of the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor before it was even commenced, and he did nothing to prevent it so that it would serve as a trip wire for the U.S. to finally GET IN the war.

And you are not a CL.
Actually, I am.

"Classical liberalism is a political ideology that advocates limited government, constitutionalism, rule of law, due process, individual liberties including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and free markets."

Yes. It is.

On the other hand, no matter how badly they suck, the definition itself remains either correct or incorrect.

In the case of classical liberalism, they appear to be pretty much right on the money.

Sorry ravi...if anyone gives me the hitler feeling.... its obama.

obama-as-hitler.jpg

Actually, I am.

Yes. It is.

On the other hand, no matter how badly they suck, the definition itself remains either correct or incorrect.

In the case of classical liberalism, they appear to be pretty much right on the money.

This is the liberal of today. Classical liberalism is a thing of the past. If you want to live in the past, fine.

 

lib·er·al·ism   [lib-er-uh-liz-uhm, lib-ruh-] Show IPA
noun
the quality or state of being liberal, as in behavior or attitude.
a political or social philosophy advocating the freedom of the individual, parliamentary systems of government, nonviolent modification of political, social, or economic institutions to assure unrestricted development in all spheres of human endeavor, and governmental guarantees of individual rights and civil liberties.
( sometimes initial capital letter ) the principles and practices of a liberal party in politics.
a movement in modern Protestantism that emphasizes freedom from tradition and authority, the adjustment of religious beliefs to scientific conceptio

Yes. It is.

This is the liberal of today. Classical liberalism is a thing of the past. If you want to live in the past, fine.

 

lib·er·al·ism   [lib-er-uh-liz-uhm, lib-ruh-] Show IPA
noun
the quality or state of being liberal, as in behavior or attitude.
a political or social philosophy advocating the freedom of the individual, parliamentary systems of government, nonviolent modification of political, social, or economic institutions to assure unrestricted development in all spheres of human endeavor, and governmental guarantees of individual rights and civil liberties.
( sometimes initial capital letter ) the principles and practices of a liberal party in politics.
a movement in modern Protestantism that emphasizes freedom from tradition and authority, the adjustment of religious beliefs to scientific conceptio

The TERM being defined was not "liberalism."

The term being defined was "CLASSICAL liberalism."

Liberalism is opposed to Conservatism :: CLASSICAL Liberalism IS conservatism.

Who Am I?

I suffer from Narcissistic Personality Disorder

My father was a Communist, a government employee and had multiple children with several woman

My father was not interested in my Mom and me so he abandoned us and we moved around a lot when I was young

I was not raised in the country that elected me

In my mid 30’s I wrote an autobiography highlighting my early years, political ideas, and thoughts on race

I then wrote a second book further describing my political ideas and ambitions

I’ve always maintained an exaggerated sense of self-importance

I require constant admiration

I believe in Universal Health Care

I believe capitalism is evil

I am an anti-Semite

I believe in curtailing the rights of the people to own guns

I used economic turmoil to springboard myself to political power

I destroy my political enemies

I love using Grecian Temples as a backdrop to give speeches

Louis Farakan thought very highly of me

One of my very first actions was to seize control on my nation’s car companies

liberalism and conservatism have core values. Those values do not change much, but what does change is the means to achieve those core values. For example, Jefferson believed in small limited government, but small limited government is not a core liberal value it can be a means to achieve a value. When Jefferson became the government his view of small limited government began to change, his fear of government faded somewhat. The same process occurred with Reagan, he preached small limited government until elected.
The problem with defining liberalism and conservatism is that too often the means to achieve their core values is assumed to be part of the definition.

Forum List

Back