Homeless in a hurricane

They have been suggesting the social security # on the arm thing for a few years now. I've heard it recommended before as natural disasters arise.

The report below from US News & World Report drew mostly insults and placed blame on the two men; I found it heart wrenching. Any thoughts?

Blame the two men for waiting until the last minute to attempt to get out of harms way? As the mother of a first responder, I find it heart wrenching when my son's life is put at risk by someone who ignored warnings of coming danger from a powerful storm.

Authorities cannot force people to leave - that is why the current trend is to ask for next of kin, or identifying marks for those who refuse to leave. It is too bad the man lost his camper - yet it is a risk he knowingly took.

As a 4th generation Floridian I know about hurricanes - it is foolish to ignore warnings, even though forecasts are sometimes wrong. It's not just wind, flooding can occur miles from landfall. Rescue and relief units can only operate after the storm passes...and even then it's hazardous for the rescuers whether by boat, land or air...a hazard many take on willingly.

Donations to relief efforts is a great idea.
It's possible his camper wasn't working, or he didn't have any money for gas. I'm glad he and his friend lived to tell their tale. But you are right--those who willingly stay behind to protect their property or from sheer bravado or lack of anywhere to go except a shelter where they and their family will sleep in sleeping bags and they can't take their family dog--are putting first responders at risk if they later choose to call for help. Hats off to your son, Seagal.

From what I've seen, most shelters are pet-friendly. Perhaps it created more problems than it prevented.

The report below from US News & World Report drew mostly insults and placed blame on the two men; I found it heart wrenching. Any thoughts?

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (Reuters) - Craig Uggen stopped short in his white Ford truck on Friday as gusting winds from Hurricane Harvey pushed waves from Corpus Christi Bay over the road. His anxiety rose with the water, now covering half his front wheels.

As he backed onto higher ground, another gust ripped the camper from his truck bed. Uggen had lived in that camper on the beach for the past year.

"I can't believe I dropped my home in the damn street," he would say minutes later, shocked at finding himself homeless on Friday with a Category 4 hurricane bearing down on this working-class South Texas city.

The man in the cab next to him, who would only give his name as Travis, had started the day homeless. Uggen had offered to shelter him in his camper when the two met at a convenience store just an hour before.

Their predicament highlights how quickly a natural disaster can make life desperate for those on the margins of society. Travis had planned to stay in Uggen's camper in part because he believed all the city's shelters were closed or full.

He was almost correct. Only one shelter, the Good Samaritan Rescue Mission, remained open as the most powerful storm to hit Texas since 1961 approached.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-new...oc-to-people-living-on-the-margins?src=usn_li

One of the men has a home, but went in his camper to live on the beach for a year......
The radio in his truck must not be working, if he didn't know enough to move back prior to a storm surge hitting.

I feel for them, though, same as I do for all the homeless folks who have to spend the day without a meal when we have a bad snow storm. The soup kitchens always close down. I think of them.

Mostly mental problems, sometimes caused by the loneliness. A couple of churches in my town help and take donations of food, blankets, clothing, sanitary supplies. I give there.
I sure wish this bullshit would stop. No, its not "mostly mental problems".

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (Reuters) - Craig Uggen stopped short in his white Ford truck on Friday as gusting winds from Hurricane Harvey pushed waves from Corpus Christi Bay over the road. His anxiety rose with the water, now covering half his front wheels.

As he backed onto higher ground, another gust ripped the camper from his truck bed. Uggen had lived in that camper on the beach for the past year.

"I can't believe I dropped my home in the damn street," he would say minutes later, shocked at finding himself homeless on Friday with a Category 4 hurricane bearing down on this working-class South Texas city.

The man in the cab next to him, who would only give his name as Travis, had started the day homeless. Uggen had offered to shelter him in his camper when the two met at a convenience store just an hour before.

Their predicament highlights how quickly a natural disaster can make life desperate for those on the margins of society. Travis had planned to stay in Uggen's camper in part because he believed all the city's shelters were closed or full.

He was almost correct. Only one shelter, the Good Samaritan Rescue Mission, remained open as the most powerful storm to hit Texas since 1961 approached.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-new...oc-to-people-living-on-the-margins?src=usn_li

One of the men has a home, but went in his camper to live on the beach for a year......
The radio in his truck must not be working, if he didn't know enough to move back prior to a storm surge hitting.

I feel for them, though, same as I do for all the homeless folks who have to spend the day without a meal when we have a bad snow storm. The soup kitchens always close down. I think of them.

Guess the same thing could be said for Ray Nagin in New Orleans when he let all those buses that could have been used to get people out before Katrina. Maybe the peoples' radios broke, too since they didn't leave.

How is it that homeless people go without a meal at all with all you bleeding hearts claiming to care as much as you do for them. Don't look at it as a soup kitchen closing down but an opportunity for you to prove that you care as much as you claim you do. You claim to care, the primary source they have for food is closed down, and you do nothing but blame the snow storm for you unwillingness to help.
It's been pretty hard to find a way to pick a fight with my comments so far, but you've managed to imagine all kinds of things to accuse me of in order to do so. What's the matter? Can't find anyone better to pick on today? I know it's Saturday, but geesh.
I have no reply to your post. What in hell could I possibly say to that garbage?

I didn't accuse you of anything. Your words were "I feel for them [homeless people], though, same as I do for all the homeless folks who have to spend the day without a meal when we have a bad snow storm".

Funny how you consider someone expecting a bleeding heart such as yourself to do what you claim should be done for the homeless when their normal ways of getting it aren't there as garbage. The garbage is the person who claims to care about certain groups then does nothing for those groups other than find ways for someone else to be forced to support them.

Simple question. If the homeless don't have food when it snows and you indicate you feel for them when they don't, why aren't you doing something on those days?
Conservative65, I'm now 90 miles from the nearest soup kitchen. Sorry, I pawned the horse and sleigh some time ago. You're doing it again--pretending to know what I do to support the hungry or homeless. Maybe trying to sensibly inform people of the problem is part of what I'm trying to do.
Dear Conservative65 and OldLady
I think the issue is we know we could organize resources better than what we see in the world right now, with too much going to waste while other ppl suffer neglect. Of course we all see how this could be managed better, in so many ways we may not prioritize the same way. For each person seeing how the govt could organize better, others will see how businesses or churches could do more, or how we as individuals might do more.

Why can't all these snswers be correct? If one person gives through church work or another by taxes to govt to fund social programs, why can't we choose which way we believe is best and not compete or argue which should be done. Why not all ways?

I appreciate your interest in seeing improvement. I look forward to seeing more model solutions shared and replicated as we study and learn what works best for which ppl in which situations.
My answer to you,: all the above you are both right. Let's take the best advice and examples offered and reward and encourage more ppl to do the same who believe in that way. When everyone is contributing to solutions with maximum effectiveness, we'd all be too busy doing the work to down what other ppl are doing. We need all the help from different angles and we can save resources by coordinating efforts in tandem not in competition with each other.

Thank you both
Please take care and keep contributing in your own special ways to make the world better for the knowledge and experience we share and grow from. Thanks!

The homeless are always the most vulnerable to natural disasters.

And Mother Nature is a b!tch.

Guess the same thing could be said for Ray Nagin in New Orleans when he let all those buses that could have been used to get people out before Katrina. Maybe the peoples' radios broke, too since they didn't leave.

How is it that homeless people go without a meal at all with all you bleeding hearts claiming to care as much as you do for them. Don't look at it as a soup kitchen closing down but an opportunity for you to prove that you care as much as you claim you do. You claim to care, the primary source they have for food is closed down, and you do nothing but blame the snow storm for you unwillingness to help.
It's been pretty hard to find a way to pick a fight with my comments so far, but you've managed to imagine all kinds of things to accuse me of in order to do so. What's the matter? Can't find anyone better to pick on today? I know it's Saturday, but geesh.
I have no reply to your post. What in hell could I possibly say to that garbage?

I didn't accuse you of anything. Your words were "I feel for them [homeless people], though, same as I do for all the homeless folks who have to spend the day without a meal when we have a bad snow storm".

Funny how you consider someone expecting a bleeding heart such as yourself to do what you claim should be done for the homeless when their normal ways of getting it aren't there as garbage. The garbage is the person who claims to care about certain groups then does nothing for those groups other than find ways for someone else to be forced to support them.

Simple question. If the homeless don't have food when it snows and you indicate you feel for them when they don't, why aren't you doing something on those days?
Conservative65, I'm now 90 miles from the nearest soup kitchen. Sorry, I pawned the horse and sleigh some time ago. You're doing it again--pretending to know what I do to support the hungry or homeless. Maybe trying to sensibly inform people of the problem is part of what I'm trying to do.
Dear Conservative65 and OldLady
I think the issue is we know we could organize resources better than what we see in the world right now, with too much going to waste while other ppl suffer neglect. Of course we all see how this could be managed better, in so many ways we may not prioritize the same way. For each person seeing how the govt could organize better, others will see how businesses or churches could do more, or how we as individuals might do more.

Why can't all these snswers be correct? If one person gives through church work or another by taxes to govt to fund social programs, why can't we choose which way we believe is best and not compete or argue which should be done. Why not all ways?

I appreciate your interest in seeing improvement. I look forward to seeing more model solutions shared and replicated as we study and learn what works best for which ppl in which situations.
My answer to you,: all the above you are both right. Let's take the best advice and examples offered and reward and encourage more ppl to do the same who believe in that way. When everyone is contributing to solutions with maximum effectiveness, we'd all be too busy doing the work to down what other ppl are doing. We need all the help from different angles and we can save resources by coordinating efforts in tandem not in competition with each other.

Thank you both
Please take care and keep contributing in your own special ways to make the world better for the knowledge and experience we share and grow from. Thanks!
Right now Houston is in a total sh!t storm.

But at least the good people of Texas have banded together to deal with it.

Not to be confused with how the people of Louisiana failed to deal with Katrina.

Forum List

Back