House to vote on Consumption Tax and abolish the IRS

2020 spending was $6.6TR. Lets exclude SS and Medicare. That Leaves $4.731TR.

Interesting. If the population is 330mm, that means each person would have to pay $14.3K in sales taxes on average a year.
You can't really count the whole population since children aren't really going to be paying the sales tax

The system is broken. I would wipe out 25% of all the spending in the current budget

The system is broken because we allow it to be so.

People whine about spending but keep voting the same people back into office and wonder why it does not get any better.

Then there are people like Ray that actually think the Repubs truly care about spending.

And let the show begin!.... marching bands... circus clowns... come one come all and watch the show!!

This has about as much chance as getting anywhere as a vote to cut their own salaries.
It might get 100 votes overall.

The only reason they are doing this is because they are 100% certain it won't pass the Senate.

IOW it's just more political theater

More fair would be to simply tax businesses for the labor they purchase from employees and allow the employees to keep their wages.
Then, when the employees purchase things, they pay the same type of tax on their consumption, though even in this case is should be progressive.

The system is broken because we allow it to be so.

People whine about spending but keep voting the same people back into office and wonder why it does not get any better.

Then there are people like Ray that actually think the Repubs truly care about spending.
Both parties take money from lobbyists.

Only fair if progressive.
You cannot realistically implement a progressive sales tax because then everyone would have to bring in proof of their income for every purchase or they would have to itemize every single thing they bought every year and report it on their taxes.

And let the show begin!.... marching bands... circus clowns... come one come all and watch the show!!

This has about as much chance as getting anywhere as a vote to cut their own salaries.
It might get 100 votes overall.

I have been propounding the Fair Tax on this forum for a long time. A consumption tax is superior to a tax on production like the income tax.

The idea a Fair Tax will abolish the need for the IRS is idiotic. There will need to be a federal agency to collect the tax, regardless what you call it.

I have been propounding the Fair Tax on this forum for a long time. A consumption tax is superior to a tax on production like the income tax.
The only thing I don't like about that plan is the monthly checks they want to send to everyone. It makes no sense to charge a rate only to plan to give money back to everyone. Just charge a lower sales tax rate and skip the extra expense of giving some of it back

When you buy stocks, would those stocks you buy, be hit with a consumption tax, when they are purchased, like everything else?
I don't see why not. You have to pay an income tax when you sell your stocks, so why not a sales tax instead when you buy them?

You cannot realistically implement a progressive sales tax because then everyone would have to bring in proof of their income for every purchase or they would have to itemize every single thing they bought every year and report it on their taxes.
There are devices called computers and smart cards that can handle the details.

The only thing I don't like about that plan is the monthly checks they want to send to everyone. It makes no sense to charge a rate only to plan to give money back to everyone. Just charge a lower sales tax rate and skip the extra expense of giving some of it back
The reason for the prebate is because a sales tax is regressive. The prebate covers the tax on necessities, and everyone gets the same prebate amount regardless of their income.

A sales tax is not progressive. In fact, it is regressive. Everyone pays the same tax on their purchases.

Forum List

Back