How are Californians so stupid? Hundreds missing in wildfires.

View attachment 154034

101 is to the right of the remains of K-Mart- the fire crossed that- after also crossing the frontage road on the right- and also crossing(out of sight) Old Redwood Highway.

This place doesn't have fire department infrastructure? Sup?
Resources vs the square miles burning. Our fire in 07 went to over 20,000 acres in 4 hours.

And firecuts are unnecessary?

Mr-Bean-mr--bean-166154_600_328.jpg
Our fire jumped a 200 foot wide freeway like it was never there. It also sent burning embers 10 miles to start more fires there.

This is up in San Berdo, but gives you an idea how fast and furious wildfires can move. That's a freeway.
View attachment 154037

C'mon man, burning embers..10 miles..Pardon me while I'm skeptical. All embers around here burn up and out @ 60 feet in the air.

The palm has a possibility of catching on fire, yet it never does.

I just can't see an ember traveling 10 miles in the air without burning up. Seriously.
You asked about resources. This is what you have.
upload_2017-10-12_16-51-25.png

According to Dana's "Two years before the mast" he visited California in, IIRC, 1840, and recounts of a climate of snow capped mountains and heavy rainy seasons. Wind, rain and other things. It's an interesting book and I may read it again.

Fascinating book- haven't read it in years- but I don't know where he would have seen any snow capped mountains- he never went farther inland than Los Angeles- maybe- maybe he might have seen snow on Mt. Baldy from Los Angeles- but that is about it.
Nope...can see the San Gabriels and the San Bernadinos just fine and they have snow in the winter.

Q Bodey: Do they make fire cuts in the forest in CA?

I find it incredibly hard to believe fire jumps miles. Seriously.
Really? I find it hard to believe anybody can be that stupid. Simple physics. 50 mph to 80 mph winds, conifers that explode, (yes, I have personally seen that fighting fires in Eastern Oregon) throw large limbs many tens of feet into the air, and wind carries them for miles, especially if that trees is on a ridge. Fire breaks are not useful in those conditions.

They don't use fire breaks, that's why the fire spreads, derp! Idk what else to say.

Maybe try saying something informed?

Yes- fire breaks are used. No they were not used in residential areas(do you have a fire break through your neighborhood?).

This fire blew across a highway and a freeway and a parking lot to burn down a K-Mart- a typical fire break wouldn't have mattered on Monday morning.

Proof?

View attachment 154034

101 is to the right of the remains of K-Mart- the fire crossed that- after also crossing the frontage road on the right- and also crossing(out of sight) Old Redwood Highway.
And that KMart probably went up because a burning ember from miles away landed on the roof.

View attachment 154034

Resources vs the square miles burning. Our fire in 07 went to over 20,000 acres in 4 hours.

Our fire jumped a 200 foot wide freeway like it was never there. It also sent burning embers 10 miles to start more fires there.

This is up in San Berdo, but gives you an idea how fast and furious wildfires can move. That's a freeway.
View attachment 154037
That was a grass fire about 2 years ago....I remember that one.

California fires: At least 23 dead as hundreds reported missing - CNN

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.
Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.
I have heard. I'm not a Californian and I would know to leave.

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.
So....the equivalent would be to have the entire state of Florida evacuate when the hurricanes were coming.....they didn't even do that for Irma.
Why do people need to be told to evacuate? You can assess the danger and make a wise decision on your own no?
Why do people need to be told to evacuate? You can assess the danger and make a wise decision on your own no?
And how are you going to do that when the smoke is so thick you can't see 10 feet and the fire creating the smoke is moving at 40 mph and jumping miles to start new fires?
Call me retarded but I would have left long before that. I never understood the type of people who think they're going to challenge mother nature. Dumbasses

View attachment 154034

View attachment 154037
Cajun Pass?
Yep....just before the top.

View attachment 154034

View attachment 154037

C'mon man, burning embers..10 miles..Pardon me while I'm skeptical. All embers around here burn up and out @ 60 feet in the air.

I just can't see an ember traveling 10 miles in the air without burning up. Seriously.
Not here they don't. And yes, around here fire's do jump 10 miles....Video of the Cedar fire from years back....notice the puffs....new centers starting from embers.

Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.
I have heard. I'm not a Californian and I would know to leave.

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.
So....the equivalent would be to have the entire state of Florida evacuate when the hurricanes were coming.....they didn't even do that for Irma.
And how are you going to do that when the smoke is so thick you can't see 10 feet and the fire creating the smoke is moving at 40 mph and jumping miles to start new fires?
Call me retarded but I would have left long before that. I never understood the type of people who think they're going to challenge mother nature. Dumbasses
Our fire started at 4:30 in the morning and by 8:30 covered over 20,000 acres. Probably half the population doesn't get up until 8. It was a miracle we didn't even have an injury.

Q Bodey: Do they make fire cuts in the forest in CA?

I find it incredibly hard to believe fire jumps miles. Seriously.

Embers can travel for miles which could be how a fire can 'jump.' The National Forest Service has a 'let it burn' mandate for BLM land and increasingly do not allow forest clean-ups. On my own property I made a firebreak around the perimeter and keep down the fuel.

It is the environmentalists who don't allow forest deadfall cleanups. The Forest Service would love to clear that crap out.
But no blame for the people in Congress that will not expand the Forest Service budget when they spend most of their funds for fighting these fires? And, now, mostly fighting to keep those fires from towns, ranches, and farms.

I blame Congress for most of the ills of this country dude. The Forest Service needs a complete change in how they do business. They have this ridiculous idea that they have to pay for someone to clear up the deadfall. This is ridiculous, they could get companies to PAY them for the right to cut the trees and a condition of that contract would be they have to clear the undergrowth too (it makes sense as it gets cleared up anyway), thus something that is now costing us taxpayers ridiculous amounts of money could be turned into a money making proposition.

Forestry/wildlife service is all a big scam. They make bookoo bucks for the government. They go in, supposed to clear out and log the pine, they take out out all the old Oak trees along the way.

Conservation my ass. It's all about using taxpayer-funded land to sell to paper mills and make a profit.

That's a lie.....In timber land there are hardly any oak trees because they do not grow well at high altitudes. Companies like Sierra Pacific grow their own timber on private land.

View attachment 154037

Hurricane force winds and burning embers the size of Volkswagens. Dude, you have no idea what nature can do.

So you're telling me burning embers the size of VolksWagons can travel travel for 10 miles in the air?

Sorry, I gotta call horseshit on that one. Bull shit. Things like that are heavier than air.

Embers can travel for miles which could be how a fire can 'jump.' The National Forest Service has a 'let it burn' mandate for BLM land and increasingly do not allow forest clean-ups. On my own property I made a firebreak around the perimeter and keep down the fuel.

It is the environmentalists who don't allow forest deadfall cleanups. The Forest Service would love to clear that crap out.
But no blame for the people in Congress that will not expand the Forest Service budget when they spend most of their funds for fighting these fires? And, now, mostly fighting to keep those fires from towns, ranches, and farms.

I blame Congress for most of the ills of this country dude. The Forest Service needs a complete change in how they do business. They have this ridiculous idea that they have to pay for someone to clear up the deadfall. This is ridiculous, they could get companies to PAY them for the right to cut the trees and a condition of that contract would be they have to clear the undergrowth too (it makes sense as it gets cleared up anyway), thus something that is now costing us taxpayers ridiculous amounts of money could be turned into a money making proposition.

Forestry/wildlife service is all a big scam. They make bookoo bucks for the government. They go in, supposed to clear out and log the pine, they take out out all the old Oak trees along the way.

Conservation my ass. It's all about using taxpayer-funded land to sell to paper mills and make a profit.

That's a lie.....In timber land there are hardly any oak trees because they do not grow well at high altitudes.

Maybe in your timber land, but not in mine. :fu:

Mine is @ 50 ft elevation.

Forum List

Back