How are Californians so stupid? Hundreds missing in wildfires.

It is the environmentalists who don't allow forest deadfall cleanups. The Forest Service would love to clear that crap out.
But no blame for the people in Congress that will not expand the Forest Service budget when they spend most of their funds for fighting these fires? And, now, mostly fighting to keep those fires from towns, ranches, and farms.

I blame Congress for most of the ills of this country dude. The Forest Service needs a complete change in how they do business. They have this ridiculous idea that they have to pay for someone to clear up the deadfall. This is ridiculous, they could get companies to PAY them for the right to cut the trees and a condition of that contract would be they have to clear the undergrowth too (it makes sense as it gets cleared up anyway), thus something that is now costing us taxpayers ridiculous amounts of money could be turned into a money making proposition.

Forestry/wildlife service is all a big scam. They make bookoo bucks for the government. They go in, supposed to clear out and log the pine, they take out out all the old Oak trees along the way.

Conservation my ass. It's all about using taxpayer-funded land to sell to paper mills and make a profit.

That's a lie.....In timber land there are hardly any oak trees because they do not grow well at high altitudes.

Maybe in your timber land, but not in mine. :fu:

Mine is @ 50 ft elevation.

Large trees used for timber do not grow well at those altitudes. Oaks....yes. You might have gnarly gray pines but they are full of sap and not good for timber. Old oaks will grow well at 50ft especially if there is a high aquifer.

California fires: At least 23 dead as hundreds reported missing - CNN

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.
It is difficult to know where wild fires will go. One may be miles away but winds shift and suddenly you can find yourself in the middle of a conflagration.

A friend of mine lives in Cali and he told me of a friend of his who narrowly escaped death from wild fire, some years ago. He, his wife, and dog awoke in the morning to fire all around their home. They had thought they were safe, when they went to bed. They jumped into their in-ground pool to survive. They watched from the pool, as the fire burned down their home.

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.
It is difficult to know where wild fires will go. One may be miles away but winds shift and suddenly you can find yourself in the middle of a conflagration.

A friend of mine lives in Cali and he told me of a friend of his who narrowly escaped death from wild fire, some years ago. He, his wife, and dog awoke in the morning to fire all around their home. They had thought they were safe, when they went to bed. They jumped into their in-ground pool to survive. They watched from the pool, as the fire burned down their home.

Sounds like a place to homestead...NOT!

It is the environmentalists who don't allow forest deadfall cleanups. The Forest Service would love to clear that crap out.

I knew it! No fire cuts!

Oh! You can't cut a line in a patch of trees! (Say the tree huggers)

So the whole damn thing burns.

Sad.

I cut 2 tons of tree today. It didn't cry, it thanked me.

Fire breaks do exist, but they are used to delineate corporate owned forest sections in general. The biggest problem is the environmentalists not allowing deadfall to be cleared away. The whole forest now is one giant powder keg just waiting for a spark. It is not the fault of the people who live there, but I do place a great deal of the fault with the environmentalists who through ignorance will cause the forest to be incinerated instead of going through the normal forest floor burns that were part and parcel of forest life for millenia.

The Forest Service makes fire breaks in National forests- as does the BLM.

Yes. But not many of them. Nor does it truly matter. Fire breaks wouldn't have any measurable effect with the fires we get these days. There is simply too much fuel load on the ground.

If there's fuel on the ground, it's not a "firebreak" Firecuts are cut down to bare earth.

Correct but fires jump highways that have 0 fuel.

I knew it! No fire cuts!

Oh! You can't cut a line in a patch of trees! (Say the tree huggers)

So the whole damn thing burns.

Sad.

I cut 2 tons of tree today. It didn't cry, it thanked me.

Fire breaks do exist, but they are used to delineate corporate owned forest sections in general. The biggest problem is the environmentalists not allowing deadfall to be cleared away. The whole forest now is one giant powder keg just waiting for a spark. It is not the fault of the people who live there, but I do place a great deal of the fault with the environmentalists who through ignorance will cause the forest to be incinerated instead of going through the normal forest floor burns that were part and parcel of forest life for millenia.

The Forest Service makes fire breaks in National forests- as does the BLM.

Yes. But not many of them. Nor does it truly matter. Fire breaks wouldn't have any measurable effect with the fires we get these days. There is simply too much fuel load on the ground.

If there's fuel on the ground, it's not a "firebreak" Firecuts are cut down to bare earth.

Correct but fires jump highways that have 0 fuel.

Asphalt doesn't burn?

Yes it does.

Back in the day, Highways were concrete.

Concrete doesn't burn, FYI.

I never gas my blower up on the roof.

Gas dissolves asphalt.

Resources vs the square miles burning. Our fire in 07 went to over 20,000 acres in 4 hours.

And firecuts are unnecessary?

Mr-Bean-mr--bean-166154_600_328.jpg
Our fire jumped a 200 foot wide freeway like it was never there. It also sent burning embers 10 miles to start more fires there.

This is up in San Berdo, but gives you an idea how fast and furious wildfires can move. That's a freeway.
View attachment 154037

C'mon man, burning embers..10 miles..Pardon me while I'm skeptical. All embers around here burn up and out @ 60 feet in the air.

The palm has a possibility of catching on fire, yet it never does.

I just can't see an ember traveling 10 miles in the air without burning up. Seriously.
Hurricane force winds and burning embers the size of Volkswagens. Dude, you have no idea what nature can do.

So you're telling me burning embers the size of VolksWagons can travel travel for 10 miles in the air?

Sorry, I gotta call horseshit on that one. Bull shit. Things like that are heavier than air.
Yep. Hundred foot flames to lift them and 70 mph winds to carry them. You even get fire tornadoes lifting burning crap up.

Our fire jumped a 200 foot wide freeway like it was never there. It also sent burning embers 10 miles to start more fires there.

This is up in San Berdo, but gives you an idea how fast and furious wildfires can move. That's a freeway.
View attachment 154037

C'mon man, burning embers..10 miles..Pardon me while I'm skeptical. All embers around here burn up and out @ 60 feet in the air.

I just can't see an ember traveling 10 miles in the air without burning up. Seriously.
Hurricane force winds and burning embers the size of Volkswagens. Dude, you have no idea what nature can do.

So you're telling me burning embers the size of VolksWagons can travel travel for 10 miles in the air?

Sorry, I gotta call horseshit on that one. Bull shit. Things like that are heavier than air.
Yep. Hundred foot flames to lift them and 70 mph winds to carry them. You even get fire tornadoes lifting burning crap up.

Tornados, ok. Still it seems like the extra oxygen would make them flame out.

Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.
I have heard. I'm not a Californian and I would know to leave.

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.
So....the equivalent would be to have the entire state of Florida evacuate when the hurricanes were coming.....they didn't even do that for Irma.
The whole state didn't need to evacuate.

This place doesn't have fire department infrastructure? Sup?
Resources vs the square miles burning. Our fire in 07 went to over 20,000 acres in 4 hours.

View attachment 154037

Not here they don't. And yes, around here fire's do jump 10 miles....Video of the Cedar fire from years back....notice the puffs....new centers starting from embers.

Yep, and people died in that one too.

Embers can travel for miles which could be how a fire can 'jump.' The National Forest Service has a 'let it burn' mandate for BLM land and increasingly do not allow forest clean-ups. On my own property I made a firebreak around the perimeter and keep down the fuel.

But no blame for the people in Congress that will not expand the Forest Service budget when they spend most of their funds for fighting these fires? And, now, mostly fighting to keep those fires from towns, ranches, and farms.

I blame Congress for most of the ills of this country dude. The Forest Service needs a complete change in how they do business. They have this ridiculous idea that they have to pay for someone to clear up the deadfall. This is ridiculous, they could get companies to PAY them for the right to cut the trees and a condition of that contract would be they have to clear the undergrowth too (it makes sense as it gets cleared up anyway), thus something that is now costing us taxpayers ridiculous amounts of money could be turned into a money making proposition.

Forestry/wildlife service is all a big scam. They make bookoo bucks for the government. They go in, supposed to clear out and log the pine, they take out out all the old Oak trees along the way.

Conservation my ass. It's all about using taxpayer-funded land to sell to paper mills and make a profit.

That's a lie.....In timber land there are hardly any oak trees because they do not grow well at high altitudes. Companies like Sierra Pacific grow their own timber on private land.
Shrub Oak, Sage and Manzanita grows in areas that were previously burn in the foothills in Southern California. Once the Pines burnt off it could take hundreds of years for the Pines to reestablish in those areas that were incinerated in the foothills and lower areas of the mountains. Areas that were full of Pines when we were children burned totally are still bare and only grow shrubs. Once those heavily forested areas are gone that do not easily reseed and the main stock plants that protected the juvenile tree sprouts are no longer there. Many varieties of Pines need shaded areas to grow in, especially in dryer climates. Part of the problem now is the Atmospheric spraying is even those shrub trees and plants are dying because the root systems cannot uptake nutrients. That and the drought have left many areas at risk. Effect of aluminium on plant growth and metabolism. - PubMed - NCBI

Worth watching if anyone is interested in what geoengineering has done to the forested areas in California. Many people started documenting the Aluminum levels years ago and the effects that it was having in their own areas.

View attachment 154037

Tornados, ok. Still it seems like the extra oxygen would make them flame out.
Wildfires create their own weather, and everything they do just makes it grow faster. It is a really freaky event.

That's a lie.....In timber land there are hardly any oak trees because they do not grow well at high altitudes. Companies like Sierra Pacific grow their own timber on private land.
Shrub Oak, Sage and Manzanita grows in areas that were previously burn in the foothills in Southern California. Once the Pines burnt off it could take hundreds of years for the Pines to reestablish in those areas that were incinerated in the foothills and lower areas of the mountains. Areas that were full of Pines when we were children burned totally are still bare and only grow shrubs. Once those heavily forested areas are gone that do not easily reseed and the main stock plants that protected the juvenile tree sprouts are no longer there. Many varieties of Pines need shaded areas to grow in, especially in dryer climates. Part of the problem now is the Atmospheric spraying is even those shrub trees and plants are dying because the root systems cannot uptake nutrients. That and the drought have left many areas at risk. Effect of aluminium on plant growth and metabolism. - PubMed - NCBI

Worth watching if anyone is interested in what geoengineering has done to the forested areas in California. Many people started documenting the Aluminum levels years ago and the effects that it was having in their own areas.

Pines don't grow well at lower altitudes in the foothills. I have seen pines come back within a few years at higher altitudes. Albeit they are not the 80-100 ft tall giants what burned down.

Cali gives illegals all kinds fo free shit and cant give out free fire alarms? Even the inbred redneck rube state like TN does that.
Sad

California has the sixth largest economy in the world, troll boy
The US could do well enough without it. Keep that in mind. True Story.

We're sick of their shit. Personally, I don't need a damn thing from California.

Super-cold beaches in the middle of summer with ankle-breaking rocks to boot? I'll pass.

As far as cattle and produce goes, Texas and the SE has it covered.

What was the big draw to CA again?

Earthquakes?

Wildfires?

I'm doing just fine.

Large trees used for timber do not grow well at those altitudes. Oaks....yes. You might have gnarly gray pines but they are full of sap and not good for timber. Old oaks will grow well at 50ft especially if there is a high aquifer.
It all depends on the tree variety and the soil. My grands grew huge Fig trees, Walnuts both the Black and English variety, large Oaks and Sycamores in Yucaipa but where we lived on the other end of the mountains those type trees did not grow.

Pines don't grow well at lower altitudes in the foothills. I have seen pines come back within a few years at higher altitudes. Albeit they are not the 80-100 ft tall giants what burned down.

Depends upon the pine. Torrey Pine is found only on the beach in San Diego

Anyone know why hazard reduction burning wasn't doe after the growth from the heavy rains started to dry off?

Greg

I have heard. I'm not a Californian and I would know to leave.

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.

The grounds are very dry, put that together with winds you get a out of control raging fire that destroys in seconds. People tried to get out but were trapped.

This area are fields of grapes for wineries and it is beautiful area with wealthy people.. T=People calling them illegals are fucking morons..

Running in these fires were like trying to run from the Vegas shooter not know where it was coming from..

Very sad indeed.

The grounds are very dry,

all the more reason to clear away dead fall

This is fire season after a long very hot summer... all of California looks like this with dry cover except for the watered areas..especially northern california

I can smell the smoke 2 hours south away from it. Sad..

so you know it is fire season

*yet* do nothing about it

only you can prevent forest fires

images

For instance , I live right next to the huge Santa Cruz mountains..Full of trees , they can clean up the foliage but the tress are very dry too.

get rid of a bunch of trees as well

or move away

California is a dry state

Forum List

Back