How are Californians so stupid? Hundreds missing in wildfires.

Here. Look again, people. THIS is what Westwall sees and drives every day. As do I and everyone else that lives here. Its like 500 people trying to get out a front door all at the same time.

Do we stay in our homes with hoses on the roof and ourselves and hope we survive..or do we sit in the middle of the road surrounded by thousands of other GAS FILLED cars stalled because nobody can move? I think I would rather stay home and take my own fate in my hands.

vfiles28014.jpg

Here's one they should be able to see. This is what roads look like around here.

Idaho-Rt-55-sm.jpg

This is Hwy 50 dropping down into South Lake Tahoe by Meyers..

echo21.jpg
us-050_eb_meyers_01.jpg

Well hey, cut out all the 15 foreign languages everything has to be written in, all the 15 gender bathrooms they have to have, all the gay/lesbo shit that has to be done, cut all the tree huggers and all the spotted owl and black and purple otter conservation programs and etc etc and you might not need any more money to DO YOUR JOB!

Fires burning down Northern California- and assholes find time to blame gays and lesbians.

Go figure.
You are bald faced liar. Never said anything like that and it's right there in black and white.

Chock on your own cock asshole.

Fires are burning out of control and you bring nothing but your usual bigotry- fuck off.
Pointing out the fact of excessive government expenditure for PC bullshit is not bigotry

Using this fire as an excuse to promote your usual bigoted crap is just par for the course for you.
Pointing out TONS of government waste is not bigoted liar. That's why we elected Trump to try and stop the PC BULLSHIT killing us all by things like you. You cannot address the topic of my posts which was enormous government waste, can you? You'd have to transform into something you aren't capable of being to be honest about the mega waste PC costs us.

Maybe try saying something informed?

Yes- fire breaks are used. No they were not used in residential areas(do you have a fire break through your neighborhood?).

This fire blew across a highway and a freeway and a parking lot to burn down a K-Mart- a typical fire break wouldn't have mattered on Monday morning.

Proof?

View attachment 154034

101 is to the right of the remains of K-Mart- the fire crossed that- after also crossing the frontage road on the right- and also crossing(out of sight) Old Redwood Highway.

This place doesn't have fire department infrastructure? Sup?
Resources vs the square miles burning. Our fire in 07 went to over 20,000 acres in 4 hours.

And firecuts are unnecessary?

Mr-Bean-mr--bean-166154_600_328.jpg
Our fire jumped a 200 foot wide freeway like it was never there. It also sent burning embers 10 miles to start more fires there.

This is up in San Berdo, but gives you an idea how fast and furious wildfires can move. That's a freeway.
upload_2017-10-12_16-38-30.png

Really? I find it hard to believe anybody can be that stupid. Simple physics. 50 mph to 80 mph winds, conifers that explode, (yes, I have personally seen that fighting fires in Eastern Oregon) throw large limbs many tens of feet into the air, and wind carries them for miles, especially if that trees is on a ridge. Fire breaks are not useful in those conditions.

They don't use fire breaks, that's why the fire spreads, derp! Idk what else to say.

Yes- fire breaks are used. No they were not used in residential areas(do you have a fire break through your neighborhood?).

This fire blew across a highway and a freeway and a parking lot to burn down a K-Mart- a typical fire break wouldn't have mattered on Monday morning.

Proof?

View attachment 154034

101 is to the right of the remains of K-Mart- the fire crossed that- after also crossing the frontage road on the right- and also crossing(out of sight) Old Redwood Highway.

That is within the Santa Rosa city limits- which indeed has a fire department.

When K-Mart was burning the fire department was busy getting people evacuated- the whole area to the west of K-Mart is- was- a residential neighborhood called Coffey Park - that all went up in flames too.

On Monday the fire department has been very clear- they were busy saving lives- and not even trying to stop the fire.

There are now 8,000 firefighters here, 500 fire trucks- I don't know how many air tankers and helicopters- and the fire is still burning.

I'm going outside to take a pic of the road in front of the house. Then picture that same road ALL OVER TOWN.

BRB

View attachment 154034

Resources vs the square miles burning. Our fire in 07 went to over 20,000 acres in 4 hours.

Our fire jumped a 200 foot wide freeway like it was never there. It also sent burning embers 10 miles to start more fires there.

This is up in San Berdo, but gives you an idea how fast and furious wildfires can move. That's a freeway.
View attachment 154037
Cajun Pass?

With the threat of yearly fires, why do they still build their homes out of wood?

Now that is a valid point- sort of why do we still keep building houses along the Gulf coast even with the yearly threat of hurricanes.

Wood is cheaper than all steel and concrete- but we should look at this- especially the roofs- fire proof roofs probably would save lives.
Shake roofs are not allowed to be built anymore...but many older homes still have them until the next time they are replaced. Around here, the last bad fire we had was in MAY, not fire season...and the houses that caught were those where windows had been left open and embers got in.

Fires jumped a 10 lane freeway here in Mira Mesa about 10 years ago...what's a fire cut gonna do?

View attachment 154034

View attachment 154037

C'mon man, burning embers..10 miles..Pardon me while I'm skeptical. All embers around here burn up and out @ 60 feet in the air.

The palm has a possibility of catching on fire, yet it never does.

I just can't see an ember traveling 10 miles in the air without burning up. Seriously.

Fires burning down Northern California- and assholes find time to blame gays and lesbians.

Go figure.
You are bald faced liar. Never said anything like that and it's right there in black and white.

Chock on your own cock asshole.

Fires are burning out of control and you bring nothing but your usual bigotry- fuck off.
Pointing out the fact of excessive government expenditure for PC bullshit is not bigotry

Using this fire as an excuse to promote your usual bigoted crap is just par for the course for you.
Pointing out TONS of government waste is not bigoted liar..

But you didn't just 'point out government waste'- you used it to promote your usual asshole bigotries.

Santa Rosa is burning and you want to blame gays for signs posted by the Forest Service- fuck off.

California fires: At least 23 dead as hundreds reported missing - CNN

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.
Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.
I have heard. I'm not a Californian and I would know to leave.

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.
So....the equivalent would be to have the entire state of Florida evacuate when the hurricanes were coming.....they didn't even do that for Irma.

A hurricane might not blow your house down or even damage it.

A fire will burn your house to the ground guaranteed. It doesn't damage your house or partially burn it in most cases.

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.

One would think, but with winds and certain terrains some fires would outrun a NASCAR. They can be burning merrily along one direction and switch on a dime. Embers can travel and settle miles away to start a fire no one is even aware of immediately.
Our last year in northern Cali we had a fire about ten miles out, heading away from us. I plopped my 250 pounds of dogs, our bug out bag and my brother in my truck and we were off. But getting in the truck we could see the flames just down our street, engulfing the tall pines. It had went into a dry creek bed that accelerated it to frightening speeds.

Too many underestimate fire and don't understand how it works.
I would think Californians would have a unique insight into the danger wildfires represent just as people in tornadoe alley do with tornadoes.

You'd think. But though it may seem like it has all been on fire st one time or another, millions haven't experienced fire like this and don't have a clue. If I hadn't seen it myself, I doubt I'd believe how quick and quirky they are.

Now we're in MO so we're working on a tornado shelter. Wherever we live, there's always a bug out back for emergencies
No basement?
Dude, you have no clue as to what wildfires do. I helped people sift thru the debris of their homes afterwards. There is nothing left. Nothing. Refrigerators are twisted hunks of melted metal, steel beams are melted, fire proof safes are melted. I took a concrete pier and crushed it with my bare hands. The fire had destroyed the concrete.

View attachment 154034

View attachment 154037

C'mon man, burning embers..10 miles..Pardon me while I'm skeptical. All embers around here burn up and out @ 60 feet in the air.

You would probably have to see it for yourself to believe it. Yes it happens. I grew up in the San Bernardino Mountains.

View attachment 154034

View attachment 154037

Don't believe it then- hell I am sure lots of the people who barely got out of their homes didn't believe it either.

Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.
I have heard. I'm not a Californian and I would know to leave.

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.

The grounds are very dry, put that together with winds you get a out of control raging fire that destroys in seconds. People tried to get out but were trapped.

This area are fields of grapes for wineries and it is beautiful area with wealthy people.. T=People calling them illegals are fucking morons..

Running in these fires were like trying to run from the Vegas shooter not know where it was coming from..

Very sad indeed.

The grounds are very dry,

all the more reason to clear away dead fall

This is fire season after a long very hot summer... all of California looks like this with dry cover except for the watered areas..especially northern california

I can smell the smoke 2 hours south away from it. Sad..

so you know it is fire season

*yet* do nothing about it

only you can prevent forest fires

images

For instance , I live right next to the huge Santa Cruz mountains..Full of trees , they can clean up the foliage but the tress are very dry too.

They don't use fire breaks, that's why the fire spreads, derp! Idk what else to say.

Proof?

View attachment 154034

That is within the Santa Rosa city limits- which indeed has a fire department.

When K-Mart was burning the fire department was busy getting people evacuated- the whole area to the west of K-Mart is- was- a residential neighborhood called Coffey Park - that all went up in flames too.

On Monday the fire department has been very clear- they were busy saving lives- and not even trying to stop the fire.

There are now 8,000 firefighters here, 500 fire trucks- I don't know how many air tankers and helicopters- and the fire is still burning.

You have all of them from the Gardnerville and Stead air bases, so that's 10 or 12 depending on serviceability. Add to that the 747 air tanker, three DC-10 air tankers and a whole bunch of others so I figure you have 50 or so air tankers in operation at the moment.

View attachment 154034

View attachment 154037

I just can't see an ember traveling 10 miles in the air without burning up. Seriously.
Hurricane force winds and burning embers the size of Volkswagens. Dude, you have no idea what nature can do.

Q Bodey: Do they make fire cuts in the forest in CA?

I find it incredibly hard to believe fire jumps miles. Seriously.

Of course not! That would damage the ecosystem. :D

View attachment 154034

View attachment 154037

Nope, these embers will go miles and miles. Do some research on the subject. These are not your normal fire. These are massive blowups. Just look at the Alaska wildfire video I posted up. Those flames are over 100 feet tall. The amount of power they have to throw heavy objects a very long way is phenomenal.

View attachment 154034

View attachment 154037
Cajun Pass?
Ya, that was Cajun Pass.

Q Bodey: Do they make fire cuts in the forest in CA?

I find it incredibly hard to believe fire jumps miles. Seriously.
Really? I find it hard to believe anybody can be that stupid. Simple physics. 50 mph to 80 mph winds, conifers that explode, (yes, I have personally seen that fighting fires in Eastern Oregon) throw large limbs many tens of feet into the air, and wind carries them for miles, especially if that trees is on a ridge. Fire breaks are not useful in those conditions.

Proof?

View attachment 154034

Ah....but firecuts........

Forum List

Back