How can we prepare for the future?

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, briefly, at the end of the Old Testament it says I will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children and the hearts of the children to the fathers lest I smite the earth with a curse.

Dead spirits go to spirit prison or spirit paradise. When we do temple work to help them out of spirit prison, I suppose that then they can be like angels that interact with earth and try to help humanity.

We need to think or the next crisis could pull us under.

The next crisis has already begun. It is the climate emergency, and it is going to destroy civilizations at minimum.

I don't know of a way to prepare for it though.

The next crisis has already begun. It is the climate emergency, and it is going to destroy civilizations at minimum.

Saying there is a 'climate emergency,' giving no specific details and providing no proof is akin to walking around with a sandwich board sign saying: "The End Is Near." It's just as feckless and stupid.

Last edited:
Saying there is a 'climate emergency,' giving no specific details and providing no proof is akin to walking around with a sandwich board sign saying: "The End Is Near." It's just as feckless and stupid.

It's not like there isn't evidence; if you don't see it, you're not doing your due diligence as a citizen. Stop watching cat videos on YouTube and read up on what's happening to the planet that gives you life.

It's not like there isn't evidence; if you don't see it, you're not doing your due diligence as a citizen. Stop watching cat videos on YouTube and read up on what's happening to the planet that gives you life.
Give a link to anything proving humans can control global climate. Show me the repeatable experiments. Otherwise you believe a bunch of horseshit.

I have a master's in math with emphasis on differential equations. I have read hundreds of papers and handfuls of books. I have a friend who is a medium physics Ph.D from MIT.

I believe there are still reasonable ways we can solve the problem.

There has been a lot of global progress in the past few years as far as I'm concerned.

I have a master's in math with emphasis on differential equations. I have read hundreds of papers and handfuls of books. I have a friend who is a medium physics Ph.D from MIT.

Respect.

I used to believe that...and hypothetically, I still do. But humans are flawed animals. That's where my pessimism bias kicks in, bro.

There has been a lot of global progress in the past few years as far as I'm concerned.

I think we're good at dealing with very specific issues. For example, the ozone thing and banning CFCs - that was a success. But humankind's destruction of the environment is complicated.

Does anyone here remember biology 101 and the population curve? You have a petri dish and you have a microorganism and you give it food. At first the microorganism has a dormant period. Then its population rapidly rises. It has no competition. It has only its own kind and food/energy source. But its space and resources are finite. So its population plateaus, and then...it crashes. It dies due to a) lack of food and b) overage of its own waste product and increased toxicity of its own environment.

That is what is happening with us. The planet is a petri dish, a finite space, and we are the protozoa or the bacteria. We have had no competition for the last 10,000 - 35,000 years. We've been the apex predators that long. So we grow. And we grow. And we consume. And we waste. Just like protozoa in a petri dish. All the food we want. All the energy we want. We just have lots of waste and finite space. And so here we are.

What problem exactly?

Respect.

I used to believe that...and hypothetically, I still do. But humans are flawed animals. That's where my pessimism bias kicks in, bro.

I think we're good at dealing with very specific issues. For example, the ozone thing and banning CFCs - that was a success. But humankind's destruction of the environment is complicated.

Does anyone here remember biology 101 and the population curve? You have a petri dish and you have a microorganism and you give it food. At first the microorganism has a dormant period. Then its population rapidly rises. It has no competition. It has only its own kind and food/energy source. But its space and resources are finite. So its population plateaus, and then...it crashes. It dies due to a) lack of food and b) overage of its own waste product and increased toxicity of its own environment.

That is what is happening with us. The planet is a petri dish, a finite space, and we are the protozoa or the bacteria. We have had no competition for the last 10,000 - 35,000 years. We've been the apex predators that long. So we grow. And we grow. And we consume. And we waste. Just like protozoa in a petri dish. All the food we want. All the energy we want. We just have lots of waste and finite space. And so here we are.
I would encourage you to think of humans as different from animals, and thank you for the respect. Good luck in deciding your beliefs.

The problem is that there are reasonable things we can do as far as I know, but if we don't do them there will be real serious problems for humanity.
We've been hearing the same warning for decades and, as yet, no 'serious problems' have happened.

The problem is that there are reasonable things we can do as far as I know, but if we don't do them there will be real serious problems for humanity.

Or not...

... in most cases, "doing something" often causes more problems than it is meant to solve.

United we stand, divided
We need to think or the next crisis could pull us under.
United we stand, divided we fall.

The Biblical Model For Survival In Hardtimes:

Act 4:32-37 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and soul: and not one of them said that aught of the things which he possessed was his own, but they had all things common. (33) And with great power gave the apostles their witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all. (34) For neither was there among them any that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them and brought the prices of the things that were sold, (35) and laid them at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto each, according as anyone had need. (36) And Joseph, who by the apostles has surnamed Barnabas (which is, being interpreted, Son of exhortation), a Levite, a man of Cyprus by race, (37) having a field, sold it, and brought the money and laid it at the apostles' feet.

Act 2:42-47 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of bread and the prayers. (43) And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. (44) And all that believed were together, and had all things common; (45) and they sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all, according as any man had need. (46) And day by day, continuing steadfastly with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread at home, they took their food with gladness and singleness of heart, (47) praising God, and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to them day by day those that were saved.

Common ownership, over all assets, including businesses. Live together, as a close-knit community, and love and protect each other. Make a distinction between private and personal property. There's no need to share your personal property, just your private property, like lands and the facilities and machinery of production. Houses, buildings, vehicles..etc, but not personal items like your computer, or your fruit of the looms. Your personal library of books, your stamp collection, the Rolex that your grandpa gave you. That's yours.

Last edited:
United we stand, divided

United we stand, divided we fall.

The Biblical Model For Survival In Hardtimes:

Act 4:32-37 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and soul: and not one of them said that aught of the things which he possessed was his own, but they had all things common. (33) And with great power gave the apostles their witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all. (34) For neither was there among them any that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them and brought the prices of the things that were sold, (35) and laid them at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto each, according as anyone had need. (36) And Joseph, who by the apostles has surnamed Barnabas (which is, being interpreted, Son of exhortation), a Levite, a man of Cyprus by race, (37) having a field, sold it, and brought the money and laid it at the apostles' feet.

Act 2:42-47 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of bread and the prayers. (43) And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. (44) And all that believed were together, and had all things common; (45) and they sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all, according as any man had need. (46) And day by day, continuing steadfastly with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread at home, they took their food with gladness and singleness of heart, (47) praising God, and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to them day by day those that were saved.

Common ownership, over all assets, including businesses. Live together, as a close-knit community, and love and protect each other. Make a distinction between private and personal property. There's no need to share your personal property, just your private property, like lands and the facilities and machinery of production. Houses, buildings, vehicles..etc, but not personal items like your computer, or your fruit of the looms. Your personal library of books, your stamp collection, the Rolex that your grandpa gave you. That's yours.
TYSM my church the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints even tried living that way in the 1800s.

Forum List

Back