How come Lincoln got away with shutting down hundreds of newspapers and jailed journalists

If you were smarter and recognized that, you'd be a libertarian. Government is corrupt. The best way to protect ourselves is to make is smaller. That's the only way

Here's the thing. You think government is some alien thing. It's not. It's us.

Having worked for both government agencies and private sector companies, I can tell you that they both kind of have the same problem. People generally tend to suck. You give an asshole power, he will abuse it. But you have to give that power to people to get things done.

And, no, making government smaller will just mean we have to deal with people with money abusing the rest of us... I kind of want legal protection from greedy businessmen, thanks.

Desperate times call for desperate measures

Lincoln did what was necessary to preserve the Union

By far, our greatest president

If you were smarter and recognized that, you'd be a libertarian. Government is corrupt. The best way to protect ourselves is to make is smaller. That's the only way

Having worked for both government agencies and private sector companies, I can tell you that they both kind of have the same problem. People generally tend to suck. You give an asshole power, he will abuse it. But you have to give that power to people to get things done.

And, no, making government smaller will just mean we have to deal with people with money abusing the rest of us... I kind of want legal protection from greedy businessmen, thanks.

The difference is that in private industry, the market punishes failure. In government, the government punishes private industry for it's failures by charging more taxes to cover for them

The difference is that in private industry, the market punishes failure.

It doesn't punish evil, though... I mean, frankly, I don't give a rats fuck if rich guys make money. That's simply not a big priority to me, because usually they are making it on the backs of working people who don't enjoy in the "success".

In government, the government punishes private industry for it's failures by charging more taxes to cover for them

Again, not nearly the same thing. Most of what government does it does very well. Some programs could be run better, but the ones that are really poorly run, are usually because some private industry is involved, like an expensive plane the air force doesn't really need.

Taxes, when passed by democratic processes, are for participation in the society where they are paid. Proportional contribution is to be expected from those who profit the most from that society with all its infrastructure, culture, etc..

Most of what government does it does very well

OMG, you're so naive. Feel behind your ears. It's actually wet, isn't it?

What you like is the checks that show up in your mailbox for doing nothing. That's what you consider doing the only thing you care about well

What you like is the checks that show up in your mailbox for doing nothing. That's what you consider doing the only thing you care about well

Wouldn't know, haven't had to get a government check for "White People Welfare" (AKA unemployment, which the Republicans never really want to cut) since 2002 the last time the GOP fucked up the economy.

Ironically, my current business would probably do better if Trump fucked up the economy, but it's doing well enough now.

and trump cant whine about fake news without being accused of being a tyrant? Lincoln actually WAS a tyrant.
Geez, americans are so disingenuous
America's Greatest President: Abraham Lincoln
http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~w304644/ajha/americanjournalism/fall09.pdf
Im not even going to get started on lincoln sending out sherman to rape, murder pillage and kill livestock and all of his other unconstitutional acts ;)
Im very interested. TIA

upload_2018-6-10_7-5-51.jpeg

Wouldn't know, haven't had to get a government check for "White People Welfare" (AKA unemployment, which the Republicans never really want to cut) since 2002 the last time the GOP fucked up the economy.

Ironically, my current business would probably do better if Trump fucked up the economy, but it's doing well enough now.

How cool would that be? You could get above the poverty line!

How cool would that be? You could get above the poverty line!

Just paid off my last credit card this month... I'm doing fine, buddy.

In fact, probably going to top 80K this year.

Horseshit. If you think you're the government, then see what happens if you stop paying your taxes. Government is a gang of men. it's seperate and distinct from the governed who rightly view it as an alien hostile force.

The difference is, it's almost impossible to fire government employees. CEOs and the rank and file employee get the boot when they suck. The profit motive beats the loot motive every time.

Last edited:
Desperate times call for desperate measures

Lincoln did what was necessary to preserve the Union

By far, our greatest president

Who decided "saving the union" takes precedence over following the Constitution? The answer is that a gang of servile Stalinist todies decided that. All you Lincoln cult members are like abusive husbands who believe you're justified in beating your wives because they made you mad.

Taxes, when passed by democratic processes, are for participation in the society where they are paid. Proportional contribution is to be expected from those who profit the most from that society with all its infrastructure, culture, etc..

There is no payment required for "participation in society." Taxes are extortion we pay to a gang of criminals. What those criminals expect is of no relevance.

Last edited:

It doesn't punish evil, though... I mean, frankly, I don't give a rats fuck if rich guys make money. That's simply not a big priority to me, because usually they are making it on the backs of working people who don't enjoy in the "success".

In government, the government punishes private industry for it's failures by charging more taxes to cover for them

Again, not nearly the same thing. Most of what government does it does very well. Some programs could be run better, but the ones that are really poorly run, are usually because some private industry is involved, like an expensive plane the air force doesn't really need.
Name one thing the government does well that the people paying for it actually want done.

Name one thing the government does well that the people paying for it actually want done.

Defense, police, roads, civil and criminal courts, recognition of property rights, management of limited resources. Oh wait, you said one ...

I do agree though on that the thing those of us paying for it don't want to pay for is having our money redistributed. Soros, Buffett, Gates, Barry, Slick, Hillary, Daschle, Rangle and the rest of the leftists who advocate higher taxes all turn around and evade them

Defense, police, roads, civil and criminal courts, recognition of property rights, management of limited resources. Oh wait, you said one ...

I do agree though on that the thing those of us paying for it don't want to pay for is having our money redistributed. Soros, Buffett, Gates, Barry, Slick, Hillary, Daschle, Rangle and the rest of the leftists who advocate higher taxes all turn around and evade them

You think government does those well? Really? It does them all very badly, and it costs many times what it should.

You think government does those well? Really? It does them all very badly, and it costs many times what it should.

You moved the goal posts.

Here's the question I answered:

"Name one thing the government does well that the people paying for it actually want done"

Then you changed the standard to this

"You think government does those well?"

"Name one thing the government does well that the people paying for it actually want done"

That isn't moving the goal posts. Government does not do the things you listed well, so you haven't named anything that it does well.

Police and especially defense are exhorbitantly expensive. Paying $400 billion to buy 225 F22 fighters is not doing defense well. It's flushing money down the toilet. The police do a terrible job of protecting you from criminals, and it costs far too much.

That isn't moving the goal posts. Government does not do the things you listed well, so you haven't named anything that it does well.

Police and especially defense are exhorbitantly expensive. Paying $400 billion to buy 225 F22 fighters is not doing defense well. It's flushing money down the toilet. The police do a terrible job of protecting you from criminals, and it costs far too much.

They are different questions. Government does nothing well. That wasn't the question you asked the first time that I answered. You asked what the people paying for it want the government to do. They are obviously not the same question since there are different answers to the questions.

What do you want government to do? Only the things that only government can do. I gave a list of the basics.

What does government do well? Nothing

Obviously they are not the same question if there is a different answer to the questions

They are different questions. Government does nothing well. That wasn't the question you asked the first time that I answered. You asked what the people paying for it want the government to do. They are obviously not the same question since there are different answers to the questions.

What do you want government to do? Only the things that only government can do. I gave a list of the basics.

What does government do well? Nothing

Obviously they are not the same question if there is a different answer to the questions
Allow me to restate the question:

Note the "does well," part.

I'll grant you that government does do somethings well, like extracting cash from your hide, but no one is particularly happy about that.

Forum List

Back