🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

How do people survive on minimum wage?

If you want to earn enough to live on then do it. Figure it out. Work 2, 3 or 4 jobs of you have to. Find a need in the market and fill it.

No one should be obligated to pay you a specified arbitrary wage.

The possibilities are endless. If you want to park your ass in a minimum wage job for the rest of your life then piss and moan that you don't make enough it's no one's fault but your own.

Grow the fuck up already.

You are leaving logical argument at home. I was refuting a strawman made by someone else. I never posited that there was a purpose to min. wage jobs. Someone else did. How many times am I going to have to explain this?

It is common sense, and is demonstrable, that institutional sexism and racism exists, with for example, statistics on womens wage rates as compared to mens for the same job or the sheer wealth distribution among people of different races (except to the conservatives mind, because it fuddles up their claims about the world being totally fair). The denial of such dynamics in society is itself racist and sexists, and this is why the conservative party is racist and sexist.

Further, I wasn't 'positing' anything. I was stating hypotheticals, but to deny their veracity is simply ignorant.

See the bolded word? YOU should not concentrate on those but focus on the real world.

You're missing the point of the hypothetical, which was meant to illustrate THE REAL WORLD or act as a close approximation. Are you implying that people with families don't ever work minimum wage jobs? If you admit that they do, which is the only answer, then my hypothetical is sound enough to offer a glimpse into that world. That's all. Stop being so fucking angry and self-rigtheous. Godamned conservatives assholes.

The conservative point of view is generally that people who are only qualified to work minimum wage have no business starting a family. You use the minimum wage job to get into the work force and then you otherwise educate and train yourself in marketable skills so that you can house, feed, clothe, education, and otherwise adequately support a family before you begin one. You also get married before you begin one to ensure the maximum opportunity for financial success.

Again, the family who occasionally finds itself accepting minimum wage should be expected to be a fairly rare exception, rather than a rule, and should be expectecd to be a short term thng and not a way of life.

Again, the exceptions should not be the basis for the overall policy.

It is common sense among liberals. In the real world there is no insitutitonal racism or sexism. The stats you mention are easily explainable by other means, especially the shorter tenure most women have in jobs owing to time off for child rearing.
Your hypotheticals are simply a fancy name for fantasies. Therefore they are not true.

Ideals of fairness betray a cognitive distortion in the form of wishful thinking. There are undoubtedly people with families working minimum wage jobs, and it is easy to imagine how that would make impossible any time investment towards education when money is needed now. I did not provide any specific stats, but I shouldn't needed to. A look at the world in which we leave should be enough. I'm not sure what world you're living in.

Your explanation for the difference in wage rates mentioned is nonsensical, and is actually quite laughable if that is the basis for your claims. I assume the basis for your claims on equality across race are equally as nonsensical.

IOW you have no proof, no evidence, not even a logical argument. But it just HAS to be as you say because there are poor people in America. That means ipso facto there must be discrimination and racism.
You are little short of a troll.
Dismissed.

To deny inequality is to be willfully ignorant. You seem to employ a distorted lens through which you view the world to be totally fair. That is asinine. Do I really have to supply statistics on inequality? Have you never seen any? I'm willing to bet you have, so i'm not sure what good that will do. My claims are not complex nor far reaching, yet you treat that is if they are some newfound and highly specific claims recently invented. It's kind of ridiculous. Moreover, they correspond and explain reality more fully than your worldview every could, a testament to their veracity. Institutional racism and inequality do exist and act as barriers for many to move upwards and out of their situation.

One thing not often considered about minimum wage laws is that they are imposed on workers as much as employers. We're telling people that if the work they have to offer isn't worth the minimum wage, they aren't allowed to work. Why?

You are leaving logical argument at home. I was refuting a strawman made by someone else. I never posited that there was a purpose to min. wage jobs. Someone else did. How many times am I going to have to explain this?

It is common sense, and is demonstrable, that institutional sexism and racism exists, with for example, statistics on womens wage rates as compared to mens for the same job or the sheer wealth distribution among people of different races (except to the conservatives mind, because it fuddles up their claims about the world being totally fair). The denial of such dynamics in society is itself racist and sexists, and this is why the conservative party is racist and sexist.

Further, I wasn't 'positing' anything. I was stating hypotheticals, but to deny their veracity is simply ignorant.

See the bolded word? YOU should not concentrate on those but focus on the real world.

You're missing the point of the hypothetical, which was meant to illustrate THE REAL WORLD or act as a close approximation. Are you implying that people with families don't ever work minimum wage jobs? If you admit that they do, which is the only answer, then my hypothetical is sound enough to offer a glimpse into that world. That's all. Stop being so fucking angry and self-rigtheous. Godamned conservatives assholes.

Do you always use hypotheticals to relay real world examples?

:lol:

Gotta love liberal idiots...

Truly sad to see how so many people have allowed themselves to become absolutely convinced that there is no hope, that they are permanently stuck in a low-paying job, and that a bunch of professional politicians and the federal bureaucracy are their only hope to escape their situation. Terrible. For a country so obsessed by contrived "self esteem", we have so little faith in ourselves.

I'll bet you're a subscriber to "Social Justice", aren't you?

This is what you get when you have a society where the price is everything.
Like I have said 1000 times...we live in a country where the nations largest company is a retail giant whose company motto is "lowest possible price".

Which is good news means more people can afford to buy from them .
if your talking about walmart they are succesful because they give good value , no union (thanks goodness ) and the workers get paid competitve to other retail establishments

One thing not often considered about minimum wage laws is that they are imposed on workers as much as employers. We're telling people that if the work they have to offer isn't worth the minimum wage, they aren't allowed to work. Why?

Exactly. So the kids who used to make a little spending money by picking up trash or pulling weeds or other mundane tasks around the shop are no longer allowed to do that unless they are paid minimum wage which the shop owner probably can't pay. And in my opinion, that is just wrong.

And I know many others have been denied opportunity to make some money or are not hired because of government meddling.

I'll say it again for all you "it's not fair" nuts... The purpose of a Business is to make a Profit... NOBODY throughout life's history has EVER started a business solely to provide high paying jobs for others. The purpose of a business is to provide goods, and services as cheaply as it can to make as much money as it can for its investor(s). The idea that Companies should have to take their most menial jobs, and provide wages so that someone may make a career out of that menial job is ridiculous. What we call "minimum wage jobs" in America, are jobs kids have when they are putting themselves through school, or to make a quick buck over the summer... These types of jobs are NOT intended to be life long career positions, and by no means should a company be "strong armed" into making menial jobs "career paying positions", because some bureaucrat thinks it's a nice thing to do. I suggest that If people want to make a career out of a menial job, that is their choice... I shouldn't have to pay more for a product or service, because employers are forced to subsidize those people who have no ambition to make their own lives any better by being content with their menial jobs. It's not my, or my wallet's problem.

Truly sad to see how so many people have allowed themselves to become absolutely convinced that there is no hope, that they are permanently stuck in a low-paying job, and that a bunch of professional politicians and the federal bureaucracy are their only hope to escape their situation. Terrible. For a country so obsessed by contrived "self esteem", we have so little faith in ourselves.

There is no hope for them..they've been told all their lives that life should be easy, and that the only people who can get ahead are those who have it easy to begin with.

It's a lie meant to prevent them from challenging the system or posing any sort of threat to the progressives in charge.

I'll say it again for all you "it's not fair" nuts... The purpose of a Business is to make a Profit... NOBODY throughout life's history has EVER started a business solely to provide high paying jobs for others. The purpose of a business is to provide goods, and services as cheaply as it can to make as much money as it can for its investor(s). The idea that Companies should have to take their most menial jobs, and provide wages so that someone may make a career out of that menial job is ridiculous. What we call "minimum wage jobs" in America, are jobs kids have when they are putting themselves through school, or to make a quick buck over the summer... These types of jobs are NOT intended to be life long career positions, and by no means should a company be "strong armed" into making menial jobs "career paying positions", because some bureaucrat thinks it's a nice thing to do. I suggest that If people want to make a career out of a menial job, that is their choice... I shouldn't have to pay more for a product or service, because employers are forced to subsidize those people who have no ambition to make their own lives any better by being content with their menial jobs. It's not my, or my wallet's problem.

You're wasting your time.. these Marxist idiots think the world owes them a living.

Exactly. So the kids who used to make a little spending money by picking up trash or pulling weeds or other mundane tasks around the shop are no longer allowed to do that unless they are paid minimum wage which the shop owner probably can't pay. And in my opinion, that is just wrong.

And I know many others have been denied opportunity to make some money or are not hired because of government meddling.

For now, the minimum wage is so low the effect is negligible, but if it were raised to something meaningful, we'd see this more.

Ideals of fairness betray a cognitive distortion in the form of wishful thinking. There are undoubtedly people with families working minimum wage jobs, and it is easy to imagine how that would make impossible any time investment towards education when money is needed now. I did not provide any specific stats, but I shouldn't needed to. A look at the world in which we leave should be enough. I'm not sure what world you're living in.

Your explanation for the difference in wage rates mentioned is nonsensical, and is actually quite laughable if that is the basis for your claims. I assume the basis for your claims on equality across race are equally as nonsensical.

IOW you have no proof, no evidence, not even a logical argument. But it just HAS to be as you say because there are poor people in America. That means ipso facto there must be discrimination and racism.
You are little short of a troll.
Dismissed.

To deny inequality is to be willfully ignorant. You seem to employ a distorted lens through which you view the world to be totally fair. That is asinine. Do I really have to supply statistics on inequality? Have you never seen any? I'm willing to bet you have, so i'm not sure what good that will do. My claims are not complex nor far reaching, yet you treat that is if they are some newfound and highly specific claims recently invented. It's kind of ridiculous. Moreover, they correspond and explain reality more fully than your worldview every could, a testament to their veracity. Institutional racism and inequality do exist and act as barriers for many to move upwards and out of their situation.

No.. it is YOUR contention that things should be fair... well guess what... fairness, no matter how you try and define it, is SUBJECTIVE in nature... and it has ZERO business in government... what should be focused on in government is equal treatment by government under law... blind to the situation, the same as justice is to be blind

Your claim of racism because there is inequality in OUTCOME is preposterous, because there are SO many other factors that are DIRECTLY on the individual...

Bingo.

Menial jobs are just that...menial jobs. They aren't meant to support a family in style. They are a stepping stone for people who for whatever reason have no skills that will support a grandiose lifestyle. People have always used these jobs to scrabble and position themselves for something BETTER. Why do they want something better? BECAUSE MENIAL JOBS DON'T PAY SHIT.

They never have.

The conservative point of view is generally that people who are only qualified to work minimum wage have no business starting a family. You use the minimum wage job to get into the work force and then you otherwise educate and train yourself in marketable skills so that you can house, feed, clothe, education, and otherwise adequately support a family before you begin one. You also get married before you begin one to ensure the maximum opportunity for financial success.

Again, the family who occasionally finds itself accepting minimum wage should be expected to be a fairly rare exception, rather than a rule, and should be expectecd to be a short term thng and not a way of life.

Again, the exceptions should not be the basis for the overall policy.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I mentioned in my hypothetical that it was probably not a good idea to have children without resources, to which I followed by saying that whats done is done, because the purpose of my hypothetical was to focus on the experience of living in those circumstances. I never cited an incidence rate for this parents working minimum wage jobs. I would also agree that this situation is a relatively rare occurrence to the society at large, but if you narrow in on certain demographics, it necessarily becomes more common. I live in NYC in a poorer neighborhood, and I see it all the time.

I also agree with your last point, to a degree. Yet, there has to be some consideration for these people, as they are American citizens, and by and large, are only doing what society programs them to do. Sex is such a large part of our culture, as portrayed in the media, and I hate to lay blame to external factors for personal behavior, but we are programmed beings, and the input we receive obviously effects our output, especially in the absence of proper guidance and role models, as we see so often in poorer communities with absent parents and stressful situations. It becomes a vicious cycle. It is the insensitivity to this dynamic, which is real, among many staunch conservatives both here and in the media, that I find so appalling, because it represents reality for so many, yet this reality is simply denied existence by those with the most advantage in this society.

Last edited:

For now, the minimum wage is so low the effect is negligible, but if it were raised to something meaningful, we'd see this more.

If you are speaking of the federal minimum wage, perhaps so. But many states and local communities have initiated their own minimum wage. Santa Fe NM, for instance, has one of the highest minimum wages in the country at $10.29 which effectively shuts the younger teens out of the market altogether.

Forum List

Back