How do you define a true statement?

Man of Ethics

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2021
Statement 1: I am very lonely since I had no offline peer friends since 2005.

Statement 2: I had a great time partying with my friends throughout Spring and June.

Statement 3: This man who claims to be the President of the United States is criminally insane.

Both Statement 1 and Statement 2 are true. I did enjoy partying with my friends throughout Spring and Summer of 1988. I was very lonely since 2005.

Statement 3 is true. Within Institutions for Criminally Insane, there is at least one patient who claims to be the President of USA.

Statement 1: I am very lonely since I had no offline peer friends since 2005.

Statement 2: I had a great time partying with my friends throughout Spring and June.

Statement 3: This man who claims to be the President of the United States is criminally insane.

Personal truth is subjective. Universal truth is undeniable. Sometimes the two intermingle and run afoul of each other. The sky is blue on a given clear day is a true statement for billions of people. For someone who is color-blind, that particular universal truth becomes subjective, from the point of view an extreme minority.

The denial of universal truths for personal or subjective reasons often leads to atrocity. For billions and billions of human beings the statement: killing innocent people is always wrong is universal. For a member of the Donner Party starving to death in a snowbound mountain pass the aforementioned universal truth becomes flexible, variable, relative to their particular situation and the irresistible urge to eat something or someone, as it were.

We could discuss degrees of truth for months, perhaps, without ever identifying a universally true statement; a statement pure and free of subjective taint. An ideologue and a zealot share few true statements with those who do not believe in their causes and crusades. Attempting to establish the sanity defense of a political figure through subjective reasoning is hilariously disingenuous at least.

but nice try

not really . . .

Both Statement 1 and Statement 2 are true. I did enjoy partying with my friends throughout Spring and Summer of 1988. I was very lonely since 2005.

Statement 3 is true. Within Institutions for Criminally Insane, there is at least one patient who claims to be the President of USA.
Any vague statement can be vacuously true.

Forum List

Back