🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

How much should we pay in taxes?

I've always wondered, in a country that has produced a $30 trillion debt, why are we led to believe that paying increased taxes is needed to pay it off? The new democrat infrastructure bill is full of such taxes. And why give us a stimulus and then just take it all back in taxes?

View attachment 474844

Are taxes more or less a way to control people more than a way to generate revenue to pay for an unsurmountable debt that will never be paid down?

Or do some think that we need to keep a tax/debt ratio to keep it from all falling apart?

And what is our "fair share" of paying taxes? I hear this constantly from the government. What is fair?

One of my favorite quotes of all time comes from Ben Franklin

"It would be thought a hard government
that should tax its people one tenth part."

It makes me laugh every time I read it.

How much of your fair share did you pay in taxes last year?

How much public infrastructure did you use in comparison to the amount of tax you paid?

Amazon paid zero in taxes last year. The CEO is worth $180 Billion.

How much above zero would you consider a fair share for Amazon to pay?

How much infrastructure do they use in comparison to the amount of taxes they paid last year?

Sounds like you want to start a new thread about the tax code cupcake.
We should pay enough taxes to pay our bills. We made them, and we owe them. The rich should pay more.

Spend what we earn.
We already spent it. We owe it. Were you raised to be a deadbeat who didn't want to pay his bills?
then why do you want to dump it on our children???
We already spent the money. Those bills don't just go away. The only moral and ethical thing to do is pay them. If we can't pay them all, they will be waiting for our kids. That's just the way things are.

then you pay them and let the future generations live in peace,,

dont make me and others that have been trying to stop your spending spree pay for them,,
OUR representatives spent the money. WE owe it. If you don't like the way it is spent, then elect somebody else next time, and they will spend our money. Either way, they are our bills and we have to pay them.

I've always wondered, in a country that has produced a $30 trillion debt, why are we led to believe that paying increased taxes is needed to pay it off? The new democrat infrastructure bill is full of such taxes. And why give us a stimulus and then just take it all back in taxes?

View attachment 474844

Are taxes more or less a way to control people more than a way to generate revenue to pay for an unsurmountable debt that will never be paid down?

Or do some think that we need to keep a tax/debt ratio to keep it from all falling apart?

And what is our "fair share" of paying taxes? I hear this constantly from the government. What is fair?

How much public infrastructure did you use in comparison to the amount of tax you paid?

How much infrastructure do they use in comparison to the amount of taxes they paid last year?

We should pay enough taxes to pay our bills. We made them, and we owe them. The rich should pay more.

Spend what we earn.
We already spent it. We owe it. Were you raised to be a deadbeat who didn't want to pay his bills?

As soon as government shows they can run a balanced budget we can address the deb.

Why pay the debt when we are just PILING on more?
Spoken like a true lazy bum. Grow up and pay your own bills.

I carry zero debt.

View attachment 474844

Spend what we earn.
We already spent the money. Those bills don't just go away. The only moral and ethical thing to do is pay them. If we can't pay them all, they will be waiting for our kids. That's just the way things are.

dont make me and others that have been trying to stop your spending spree pay for them,,
OUR representatives spent the money. WE owe it. If you don't like the way it is spent, then elect somebody else next time, and they will spend our money. Either way, they are our bills and we have to pay them.
and you voted for them and proudly defend their actions,,

so you pay up and leave the rest of us alone,, including the unborn,,

View attachment 474844

Stop complaining about Democrats.
3 of the last 4 Republican presidents absolutely blew up the debt and deficit. The 1 who didn't, Bush-41, actually behaved like a fiscal conservative and you guys tossed him like moldy bread.
Republicans have demonstrated beyond doubt their inability be responsibly or honestly about taxes.

View attachment 474844

Stop complaining about Democrats.
3 of the last 4 Republican presidents absolutely blew up the debt and deficit. The 1 who didn't, Bush-41, actually behaved like a fiscal conservative and you guys tossed him like moldy bread.
Republicans have demonstrated beyond doubt their inability be responsibly or honestly about taxes.
it could be both,,

View attachment 474844

Spend what we earn.

As soon as government shows they can run a balanced budget we can address the deb.

I carry zero debt.
So you already paid your part of our infrastructure, military, police, fire protection, etc.? You're gonna have to come up with receipts for all that before anyone will believe you.

We should pay 23% to 24% in taxes. But we should pay it as a consumption tax. And every single person pays the same amount.

It is called the Fair Tax Act. The only federal taxes we should pay is a 23% sales tax. No income tax. No payroll tax. No telephone/build911/surcharge tax. No federal fuel tax.

And you would get a rebate on the 23% tax up to the poverty line, so no one is taxed on what it takes to survive. You get the rebate. I get the rebate. Elon Musk gets the rebate.

And if politicians want to raise taxes, they have to raise taxes on every single tax payer, not just select groups.

And there would be no withholding on paychecks. You make $10 an hour and work 40 hours? You get $400. The 23% tax would be on all new goods and services. Buy used? No tax.

Not sure I'd go as high as 23%. All persons and corporations paying 17% off the top would be fine.

Agree on used. Tax has already been paid.

View attachment 474844

Spend what we earn.

I carry zero debt.
So you already paid your part of our infrastructure, military, police, fire protection, etc.? You're gonna have to come up with receipts for all that before anyone will believe you.
I pay it every yr with my property taxs,, the fed taxs go to foreign countries and people that refuse to work,,

View attachment 474844

Will an income tax increase make Bezos pay more? No, it won’t.

View attachment 474844

Spend what we earn.

If you voted, WE elected them. If you didn't vote then quit whining. Not my fault that so few people voted like you did.

View attachment 474844

Spend what we earn.

If you voted, WE elected them. If you didn't vote then quit whining. Not my fault that so few people voted like you did.
no one I ever voted for increased the national debt,,,

anymore stupid remarks??

We should pay 23% to 24% in taxes. But we should pay it as a consumption tax. And every single person pays the same amount.

It is called the Fair Tax Act. The only federal taxes we should pay is a 23% sales tax. No income tax. No payroll tax. No telephone/build911/surcharge tax. No federal fuel tax.

And you would get a rebate on the 23% tax up to the poverty line, so no one is taxed on what it takes to survive. You get the rebate. I get the rebate. Elon Musk gets the rebate.

And if politicians want to raise taxes, they have to raise taxes on every single tax payer, not just select groups.

And there would be no withholding on paychecks. You make $10 an hour and work 40 hours? You get $400. The 23% tax would be on all new goods and services. Buy used? No tax.
Sounds reasonable, but used goods would be taxed in 2nd hand stores. There would still be licensing fees for vehicles and businesses. Telephone would be a service that would still be taxed. I like the idea of a consumption tax. I think 23% is a bit high--in CA your total tax burden would be about 32%--state and federal--plus CA's ~8% sales tax. Flat tax has always appealed to me as well. I sure don't agree with how they've been spending for the last 50 or so years. Balanced budget amendment? I think that would be worth exploring as well. Taxes suck.

View attachment 474844

Spend what we earn.

Leftists have big plans for the unborn - if they can dodge abortion they are saddled with debt to enemy nations they will likely have to go to war with over.

Sad really.

View attachment 474844

Spend what we earn.

I carry zero debt.

I think you know what I meant. Personally I carry no debt.

So I'll kick the can down the road like the game has been.

View attachment 474844

Spend what we earn.

I carry zero debt.
I pay it every yr with my property taxs,, the fed taxs go to foreign countries and people that refuse to work,,
We all pay property tax, and it is spent the way our representatives decide. You haven't paid your part of the federal debt any more than anyone else.

Ideally, we should pay enough in taxes to cover the cost of our government.
That's a great point. When we all run short of money, some of us increase our debt. The smart ones tighten the belt, and work harder or get a better job, or another one. 'Cause debt will really mess up one's finances for the long term.

So a better question for this thread is...

"How much should the government spend?" That seems to be the real problem.

I would argue for a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution. Spending should never exceed revenue except in really extreme circumstances like a global war or ginormous natural disaster like the Yellowstone Super Volcano deciding to erupt. The man-made COVID plandemic certainly does not qualify for excessive deficit spending.

Government is a beast that keeps growing bigger as a percentage of what we actually produce....

1200px-Government_Revenue_and_spending_GDP.png

Forum List

Back