How often should I change my oil?

"GDI" means "Gasoline Direct Injection". 2.4 and 2.0 refer to the displacement of the engine in liters. Hyundai rates the 2.4 at 200 horsepower but there are various versions according to vehicle model. Some are turbocharged and produce more power. Not likely in the Santa Fe. That the 2.0, as noted in the post above IS turbocharged then that would explain why the shorter mileage interval between changes. The smaller engine is working harder.

Last edited:
If you do your own oil changes and don't mind doing them more frequently you can improve you car's performance by using cheap oil filters. Since they aren't as thick and designed to catch so much dirt they let oil flow faster and smoother, thereby cooler. You just have to change it out more often.

I'm a bit of a fanatic on oil changes going back to my aircraft days. When buying a new engine (aircraft or ground vehicle) I first determine what the manufacturer uses as a "break in" oil. They normally recommend using it only to some nominal mileage and then changing to what will be your standard oil.

Once know the nature of the "break in" oil I lay in a stock and a few filters. Then I change the oil (staying with the "special" type) and especially the filter at 50 miles; again at 150; again at 500 and again at 1,000 before doing a final filter and oil change, going to the regular oil. Note that when the interval specified for use of the initial oil is longer than 1,000 I stay with the special oil until that milepost. I've stated it in miles; for aircraft I use a sort of table of hours of operation.

Yeah, a lot of people have told me I'm wasting money but oil and filters are the cheapest things on any engine. When when you do the early frequent changes you're eliminating any crap that was drifting around in the engine from the manufacturing process. OK, today the factories are much cleaner and it may not be necessary. But the cost is cheap. I own vehicles until they're ancient and have never had an engine failure (except one Chevy V8 with factory overtorqued heads that cracked). With aircraft, when engines typically needed overhaul at 1,200 - 1,500 hours, mine typically were solid until about 3,000 hours.

Not recommending you do that but suggesting you ask a good mechanic if it would help you. I rather suspect not as it's a lease vehicle and when the lease is up there's a good chance you'll turn it in. But if you plan to buy it after the lease runs out the extra few bucks on oil and filters up front could leave you with a much better vehicle than otherwise.

I'm having a hard time imagining turning this car in. That's kind of like turning your back on a good friend. I know I'm a silly woman, but I go out in the garage and say good night to the car every night. Every night for six months. I say thanks to the car for keeping me safe that day and tell the car what our plans are for the next day. I call her Car-Car. :eusa_shhh:

I guess this is what happens when you don't get your first ever new car until you're 60 years old. You really, really, really appreciate it.

So it's hard to imagine in 3 1/2 years dropping Car-Car off at the dealer and saying, "Bye Car-Car. I have a new car, a better car. Adios!"

LOL

So I dote on this car. She's been getting washed every week because the roads are sooo dirty. I've slipped up on the oil change, but I'll make up for that in the next few years. :)

I just wish I'd come up with a better name. Car-Car. How stupid is that. :lol:

Last edited:
With the oil changes in hand, next thing to think about is salt. Hyundai does a good job with protecting things but if you're subject to frequent snow and ice, particularly ice, you need to help it out.

When there's a lot of salt on the road it needs to be washed off. That is best done at a professional car wash that high-pressure blasts the underside as well as the upper body. But then it's best to get the wet vehicle quickly into a heated garage where it can dry for several hours. Come out of the car wash and leave it down below freezing and the water trapped in tight places will freeze, expand, and raise merry hell with everything.

I got my first new car ever in my life. It's a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and I love it. So I want to take care of it.

I seem to have trouble getting a straight answer about how often to change the oil. Here's the dilemma...I don't put a lot of miles on the car.

The car had 75 miles on it when I got it October 18, 2013. Now it has about 1600 miles on it. I'm only putting about 250 something miles on it per month.

I think the manufacturer's book says change the oil every 3700 miles or so. But then people are always saying you should change it every three months, regardless of mileage? I mean REALLY???

My plan is to change it every six months at the current mileage I'm putting on it. Shouldn't that be okay? That means I'll be changing the oil about every 1600 miles or less.

Fact

Your vehicle uses a synthetic oil that is good for 7500 miles between oil changes.

That is plenty often enough.

I have a Hyundai i30, and I am told that I need the oil change every 7,500 ks because I only drive 'short' distances'. That works out to be every three months - apparently, unless you take it for a really long drive, the oil won't heat up and will clog the pipes, and get all dirty and gross.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer either - just check the oil once a month, and if it looks like it needs changing, do it yourself.
Short distance driving is much harder on your car because the motor doesn't heat up and burn the carbon out.

You really need to drive it down the highway every once in a while for about 20 minutes and blow the crud out of the engine and exhaust. ... :cool:
^^^ This is important. Failure to do so will cause problems, including moisture buildup.

I have a Hyundai i30, and I am told that I need the oil change every 7,500 ks because I only drive 'short' distances'. That works out to be every three months - apparently, unless you take it for a really long drive, the oil won't heat up and will clog the pipes, and get all dirty and gross.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer either - just check the oil once a month, and if it looks like it needs changing, do it yourself.

Do it myself? Are you kidding? Good grief, Noomi. How many people do you know that change their own oil, especially women? Let's narrow that down...how many people who are women and work full-time jobs plus do most everything around the house with no help from their husband...change their own oil?

Don't be silly.

Get a friend to change it for you. If he knows what he's doing, that is. No reason you should pay to get it done if you can get it done yourself.
I agree. It's just about the easiest thing to do. I just drive up on ramps and I'm done in under 20 minutes. And I can do mine for around $25. It's more like $50 at the oil change places.

Do it myself? Are you kidding? Good grief, Noomi. How many people do you know that change their own oil, especially women? Let's narrow that down...how many people who are women and work full-time jobs plus do most everything around the house with no help from their husband...change their own oil?

Don't be silly.

Get a friend to change it for you. If he knows what he's doing, that is. No reason you should pay to get it done if you can get it done yourself.

Yeah, right. It's not like when I was 25 years old and could get just about any guy to do anything for me because of the remote possibility that I might bestow sexual favors upon them.

:eusa_angel:

Your mouth don't work any longer?

I change mine every 3000 miles, regardless of time. If I do 3000 miles in 1 month, then I'll change my oil and filter after 1 month. If there is a period where I don't drive much, and do 3000 miles in 6 months, then I'll change my oil and filter after 6000 miles.

There was a radio talk show I listened to many years ago. It offered advice for those with car trouble. One guy once called up and said that he had about 35,000 miles on his car, and his problem was his engine which sounded like a bag of marbles. The radio show guy asked when was the last time he changed the oil. The caller replied, "change the oil"? The guy had apparently never changed the engine oil. He was not kidding!

To Synthaholic: Well, two things...I'm no longer 25 years old, but I'm also...MARRIED. :)

Last edited:
I change mine every 3000 miles, regardless of time. If I do 3000 miles in 1 month, then I'll change my oil and filter after 1 month. If there is a period where I don't drive much, and do 3000 miles in 6 months, then I'll change my oil and filter after 6000 miles.

There was a radio talk show I listened to many years ago. It offered advice for those with car trouble. One guy once called up and said that he had about 35,000 miles on his car, and his problem was his engine which sounded like a bag of marbles. The radio show guy asked when was the last time he changed the oil. The caller replied, "change the oil"? The guy had apparently never changed the engine oil. He was not kidding!

ROFL!!! I don't feel so bad, now. :)

I am reminded of the Rolls Royce manual that specified the oil be drained every 1,000 miles (this was a long time ago when oils weren't very good).

One owner followed that precisely.

The manual said nothing about putting in new oil.

When he got his warranty-repaired car back it came with a new manual as well. Especially with a new manual

Okay, finally looked in the owner's manual. Not an easy book to navigate. I decided to use the recommendations for severe usage since I'm in a cold climate and drive only in the city with frequent stopping and starting, etc. It says:

Engine Oil and Filter (2.4 GDI): Every 3,750 miles or 6 months
Engine Oil and Filter (2.0 TGDI): Every 3,000 files or 3 months

What the hell is 2.4 GDI and 2.0 TGDI? I must have 2.4 GDI because when I called the dealer I remember them saying every 3750 miles. (probably wonderingi why I couldn't just read the book! :))

Oh, and for normal conditions it would every 7500 miles or 6 monhs, but for the 2.4 GDI, whatever that is, it would be 7500 miles or 12 months. Really??? Oil change only once a year? That surprises me. But I'm going with the severe conditions recommendation of every 6 months.

Nonetheless, I am overdue for my first oil change if I am going with the severe conditions. :( I got the car on October 18, should have had the oil changed by April 18. Actually, I don't think my driving conditions are all that severe, really, so I probably haven't abused the car. Getting the oil changed is high on my list of priorities, I'll have it done within the next few weeks for sure!

Two follow-ups: Unless you just really feel like you should change your own oil, don't bother. Balance out the extra cost of paying to have it changed with going with conventional oil. Doesn't sound like you are going in blow your engine any time soon. I change my own oil but always have the person at the parts store change my wipers. Dang those things can be tricky. :)

And change wipers regularly. They wear down over time and one never really notices until driving around with ones head out the window.

ROFL!!! I don't feel so bad, now. :)

I change my oil every 2000 miles and I don't drive much either. I'd change it pretty soon and write down the date you changed oil and your mileage. Then check your mileage and when you have gone 2000 miles change it again. If you will change the oil regularly you'll most likely never have a problem with the car. If you ever sell the car and the buyer sees you kept a good record of oil changes he'll be more likely to buy the car from you.

Don't be silly.

Yeah, right. It's not like when I was 25 years old and could get just about any guy to do anything for me because of the remote possibility that I might bestow sexual favors upon them.

:eusa_angel:

If just want a quick check you can always just check the dipstick. No, no, the one in the car. The one under the hood. :eusa_shifty:

Forum List

Back