🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

How the left recruits trolls to make website comments

Has anyone on a message board ever changed your mind about anything?

I dunno, I come from the intelligence world where propaganda is one of the biggest tools of "warfare" and you're asking me if propaganda changes people's minds?

Yes, it does. Doesn't matter where it shows up.

Of course advertising changes minds. Mostly, it changes minds that haven't decided yet, but the value of the influence is in what people are willing to pay for it.

EVERYone at USMB is hawking their opinion. Some are just better at it than others.

`

I agree with much of what you said but I have a little bit different take on that AVGJOE. I tell you, I watch things happen on Twitter that really amaze me in terms of swaying big swaths of people....and creating momentum. Plus on that platform there has become a direct relationship between tweeters and the press.

No, they don't. No one "does it".

Yes. I've changed my mind on several issues and moderated my opinion on others.

You were convinced to change your opinion on issues by the caliber of an argument you read here?

Most of the left wing posts are created by the tax exempt propaganda network, Media Matters and lefties make no bones about quoting MM directly.The "low information left" is an accurate term. When you start arguing specific points about a left wing post they either don't respond or they call you racist or homophobe or some other insult.

We had someone here who had 90,000 posts in less then a year...
Or maybe a bit longer then a year...

I would not be shocked if we had a few here today that are being paid.

Why would anyone be paid to post here? What purpose would that serve?

The mindset that anyone who disagrees with you must be being paid to do it is nothing more than a symptom of the delusion that opinions on this message board matter.

They don't.

No legitimate political organization would waste their money on paying people to post here.

You're not serious, are you Doc?

It's the digital world. The internet is the propagandist's paradise. Groups of all political persuasions do it.

I dunno, I come from the intelligence world where propaganda is one of the biggest tools of "warfare" and you're asking me if propaganda changes people's minds?

"Propaganda" isn't defined as "disagreeing with you".

You may have a background in "intelligence", but my background is running political campaigns - and there's no professional political operative in the world who would think that paying posters on a message board is a good use of their money.

The only people who post on boards like this are people who already know exactly where they stand, politically. Those aren't people that campaigns and interest groups are trying to reach.

Also people have changed my mind on every site I've ever been active on.

Why would anyone be paid to post here? What purpose would that serve?

The mindset that anyone who disagrees with you must be being paid to do it is nothing more than a symptom of the delusion that opinions on this message board matter.

They don't.

No legitimate political organization would waste their money on paying people to post here.

It's the digital world. The internet is the propagandist's paradise. Groups of all political persuasions do it.

You may have a background in "intelligence", but my background is running political campaigns - and there's no professional political operative in the world who would think that paying posters on a message board is a good use of their money.

The only people who post on boards like this are people who already know exactly where they stand, politically. Those aren't people that campaigns and interest groups are trying to reach.

What issues have you changed your mind on due to persuasive arguments on a message board?

You were convinced to change your opinion on issues by the caliber of an argument you read here?

LOL, well, you do have a point there....but of course you know I have a bias as to which side of the argument...:)

LOL, well, you do have a point there....but of course you know I have a bias as to which side of the argument...:)

That's the thing - everyone here has a "bias".

And it's not worth the time and money to try and fight that sort of bias.

What issues have you changed your mind on due to persuasive arguments on a message board?

Issues about militarization of the police for example. Or I should say the "discussion about militarization" of police. Not on this board but on some boards I find discussions about decriminalization and legalization of MJ to have great pros and cons.

Most of the left wing posts are created by the tax exempt propaganda network, Media Matters and lefties make no bones about quoting MM directly.The "low information left" is an accurate term. When you start arguing specific points about a left wing post they either don't respond or they call you racist or homophobe or some other insult.

yep you can see it "regurgitated" over and over. If not for them they wouldn't have anything to say.

I've seen insults flung around by both sides.

That's the thing - everyone here has a "bias".

And it's not worth the time and money to try and fight that sort of bias.

I think people HERE tend to be more biased than on most boards but I believe there are people EVERYWHERE that are swayable.

Issues about militarization of the police for example. Or I should say the "discussion about militarization" of police. Not on this board but on some boards I find discussions about decriminalization and legalization of MJ to have great pros and cons.

But those are both issues that you didn't have a strong pre-conceived bias on, right?

Me too. It was on this board that I became open to the possibility of God.

I still believe that if God is, She's way bigger than all of the ancient stories, let alone any one of them, but I'm open to the possibility of God.

I still remember the thread. Boss started it.

:beer: Possibilities!!​

It was on another forum, but very similar to this place. I engaged in a dialogue with a person whom I disagreed on Gay marriage. I have never been against gay marriage , just opposed the idea of changing the meaning of the word "marriage" to accommodate homosexuals. I was of the opinion that civil "unions" that offered the same exact benefits as "marriage" would be more appropriate. Long story short, this person convinced me I was wrong. :thup:

Last edited:
There's nothing in that craigslist ad that suggests that people are being hired to comment on blogs.

Indeed "blog" doesn't even appear in the ad. Nor does "website" or "comments".

Another case of not reading past a misleading headline. Gullible's Travels.

Forum List

Back