🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

How the Republican Government shutdown works

Why didn't Clinton close it when the government shut down during his presidency?
Most likely because it didn't exist.

:rolleyes:
You got me on that one, but Clinton didn't close the park system down that I remember.
If he didn't he should have, since there's no one there to protect or maintain them.
So you're saying the best time to go party at a federal park is during a shutdown.
Gotcha. Thx. :thup:.
Probably. That's why they put barricades around the monuments. To protect them during the shutdown.

Right, because people who will destroy stone and metal monuments wouldn't hop a plastic barricade to do it. You actually are a rocket scientist, aren't you?

Remember how the doofus in the Oval Office spent $64 billion more shutting government down than it would have cost to operate it?

Its strange....the Republicans control Congress now and the only tool they have in their toolbox is the threat of shutting down government

Then they are outraged when services are not available.
"What do you mean the park is closed?"
The president gets to choose what park gets closed. Kinda like Obama choose to close a ww2 memorial to veterans and choose to reopen it for an illegal immigrant rally.

No he doesn't

Each agency must provide a list of those jobs and functions deemed essential and those deemed non-essential
Surprisingly....Parks have been identified as a "non-essential" government function
Why didn't Clinton close it when the government shut down during his presidency?

What did not exist? The parks, memorials and other federal installations?

You got me on that one, but Clinton didn't close the park system down that I remember.
If he didn't he should have, since there's no one there to protect or maintain them.
So you're saying the best time to go party at a federal park is during a shutdown.
Probably. That's why they put barricades around the monuments. To protect them during the shutdown.
No. The barricades were a message. Obama's middle finger.

You deserved it for your $24 Billion dollar temper tantrum.

First, congressional conservatives, mostly in the House but sometimes with the assistance of a senator or two (especially Ted Cruz), find something they're really mad about and threaten to do something drastic.

The conservatives say unless they get what they want, they'll withhold their support for the next CR that will keep the government operating.

Their leaders, understanding the history of government shutdowns, tell them that it really won't accomplish anything and will only hurt Republican goals.

The insurgent conservatives get lots of support from right-wing talk radio, telling them to stand up for principle and stick it to all those Washington insiders.

Eventually, the CR passes, usually with the support of Democrats. The conservatives say that their leaders have betrayed them.

How the upcoming government shutdown fight will help Donald Trump

Rinse, repeat

What have Democrats offered Republicans as a compromise to avert a shutdown?

Continuing resolution allows continued funding at current levels

What is there to compromise? You either pass it or not

Right, they "compromised" by offering to get their own way, exactly my point

What is there to compromise in a Continuing Resolution?

Compromise takes place in the budget process

BTW, the continuing resolution was not at "current" spending levels

It always is

Right, because people who will destroy stone and metal monuments wouldn't hop a plastic barricade to do it. You actually are a rocket scientist, aren't you?

Remember how the doofus in the Oval Office spent $64 billion more shutting government down than it would have cost to operate it?

You still have security at the mall as in all parks. Some you see, some you don't

President has no authorization to keep the government operating without funding authorization from Congress
If only Congress could do its job

Its strange....the Republicans control Congress now and the only tool they have in their toolbox is the threat of shutting down government

Then they are outraged when services are not available.
"What do you mean the park is closed?"
The president gets to choose what park gets closed. Kinda like Obama choose to close a ww2 memorial to veterans and choose to reopen it for an illegal immigrant rally.

No he doesn't

Each agency must provide a list of those jobs and functions deemed essential and those deemed non-essential
Surprisingly....Parks have been identified as a "non-essential" government function
What makes you surprised that parks are not an essential function function of government.
In fact, the NPS should be defunded and disbanded. The parks returned to the States.

I'd be willing to sell the parks to the states...what are they offering?

About the $64 billion.... Obama: "well you don't worry about that. I'm sending a message"...

You still have security at the mall as in all parks. Some you see, some you don't

President has no authorization to keep the government operating without funding authorization from Congress
It is not the job of Congress to obey the every whim of the executive Branch...Hence the reason Obama had no right saying "pass a bill that I will accept and I won't have to do( punish the American people) this..
Here's a newsflash. The POTUS does indeed have authorization. It's called a veto. In Obama's case, he was not going to sign a budget that did not have in it every thing HE wanted.

About the $64 billion.... Obama: "well you don't worry about that. I'm sending a message"...

What $64 billion are you talking about?

It is not the job of Congress to obey the every whim of the executive Branch...Hence the reason Obama had no right saying "pass a bill that I will accept and I won't have to do( punish the American people) this..
Here's a newsflash. The POTUS does indeed have authorization. It's called a veto. In Obama's case, he was not going to sign a budget that did not have in it every thing HE wanted.

It is Congresses job to pass a budget. If they can't agree to funding the government, the President is not authorized to keep nonessential functions operating......there is nothing to veto in the process

The President has authority to veto other legislation. That is why Congress has to pass something that can be signed or fingd the votes to override the veto

Just discovering how government works? All funding originates with Congress, that doesn't mean the Executive has to approve it, It's the stuff in between that makes the difference and the people understand that and that is why Republicans took the blame the last two times for this and it's why they will take the fall again. If you want t make a difference, elect people with negotiating skills not people who will hurt the very people they work for.

What have Democrats offered Republicans as a compromise to avert a shutdown?

Continuing resolution allows continued funding at current levels

What is there to compromise? You either pass it or not

Right, they "compromised" by offering to get their own way, exactly my point

What is there to compromise in a Continuing Resolution?

Compromise takes place in the budget process

BTW, the continuing resolution was not at "current" spending levels

It always is

Actually, it's at whatever spending level is proposed in the bill. Democrats were spending at the level they wanted

You have to be blazingly incompetent spending more to lock the doors than to operate the vehicle, he is the head clown in the clown car. Where is your clown avatar? You're a clown just like your buds. Did they ditch you again?

You know the rules, comrade big guy. You don't get to ask questions until you start answering them

Just discovering how government works? All funding originates with Congress, that doesn't mean the Executive has to approve it, It's the stuff in between that makes the difference and the people understand that and that is why Republicans took the blame the last two times for this and it's why they will take the fall again. If you want t make a difference, elect people with negotiating skills not people who will hurt the very people they work for.

Just learning how the government works? The President can't dictate to congress the budget they have to send him

You have to be blazingly incompetent spending more to lock the doors than to operate the vehicle, he is the head clown in the clown car. Where is your clown avatar? You're a clown just like your buds. Did they ditch you again?

Actually, it doesn't matter

You are either above the line or below it. It is against the law to continue government functions identified as non-essential. Even if they are cheaper or even free

You know the rules, comrade big guy. You don't get to ask questions until you start answering them

I really don't care...just go on making up numbers...it is what you do best

You are either above the line or below it. It is against the law to continue government functions identified as non-essential. Even if they are cheaper or even free

Doesn't address the point. How mind fumblingly stupid does someone need to be to spend more shutting down the government than operating it? What a complete doofus our President is

I really don't care...just go on making up numbers...it is what you do best

Hey, you said you're a liar because only a liar doesn't back up their statements, so what difference does your opinion make?

Doesn't address the point. How mind fumblingly stupid does someone need to be to spend more shutting down the government than operating it? What a complete doofus our President is
You have to be mind fuckingly stupid to shut down government because you can't agree on a budget

Anything after that is a step up

Forum List

Back