🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

How to be Politically Correct in 8 easy steps!

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
One of my favorite memes on USMB comes from a few hardcore left wingers who refuse to acknowledge the very existence of Political Correctness. You know who you are, woot!

Anyway, there's this thing called "Google" that helps you find all kinds of cool stuff on the "internet". So I typed in "political correctness" thinking, "well, even though I'm told it doesn't exist, let's just give it a shot", and lo and behold, right at the top was this page from WikiHow:

How to Be Politically Correct 8 Steps with Pictures <<< with pictures!

By the way, the "PC Police" are those who are on the lookout for anyone who doesn't follow these rules, and who are more than prepared & willing to cause you to lose your job, or to make you sell your business, or to make you apologize to Al Sharpton (or some reasonable facsimile) or to just intimidate you into never doing it again.

These people are self-appointed to be the judge of what is "politically correct", and will issue "consequences" for any breach of these rules. How helpful! Best yet, they do this pro bono!!

Here ya go!

1. Be careful when addressing groups or talking about others. Use language that would not make any person feel excluded, diminished, or devalued.

2. Avoid language that addresses only one demographic group unless it is intended for that group only, such as using "men" when you mean "all people". Accurate descriptions are the essence of 'political correctness'.

3. Avoid titles that are exclusionary, such as "Chairman" (use "Chairperson"); "Fireman" (use Firefighter); and "Stewardess" (use "Flight Attendant"). The use of titles that exclude persons of a different gender or other social groups is usually acceptable when addressing an individual, as in a business setting, where Mr. Smith is the CEO, and you are introducing him as "Mr. Smith, our Chairman of the Board".

4. Avoid expressions that are derogatory with regard to physical or mental abilities, such as "handicapped" or "retarded". Instead, use first person language, such as "person with a disability" or "person with Down's Syndrome". People have disabilities, they are not defined by them. In many cases, simply addressing the person who has mental, physical, or other challenges in the same terms as you would address anyone else is the ideal solution.

5. Avoid overly-cautious racial descriptions that can be offensive. For example, say "African American" only when talking about Americans who are the descendants of African Slaves. Other Africans know what country they're originally from. Example: A person from Egypt is Egyptian American. In the case that you are unsure of a person's citizenship, "black" and "white" are acceptable terms.

6. Avoid the use of religious terms when speaking to a group that may include people who belong to different religions (ex., saying "God Bless" at a local event). The exception here is in the context of describing either academically or referentially specific characteristics of such a group, as in "Evangelical Christians hold certain beliefs...", or "Jewish people commonly recognize Yom Kippur...".

7. Be sensitive to the inferences people may read in to the words you choose. Many common expressions have roots in a less inclusive social climate, and only time and education can completely eliminate them (ex., if you are asking if a girl is taken, asking "Do you have a boyfriend?" would be politically incorrect, as it makes them exclusively heterosexual. Instead ask, "Are you seeing/dating anyone?"). By the same token, each cultural group has equal protection from offensive generalizations and slurs, not just a certain ethnic group or gender.

8. Respect every individual's right to choose the language and words that best describe their race, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, or physical ability. Don't get defensive if someone rejects language which dis-empowers, marginalizes, confines, or diminishes them. The ability to name is a daunting power; individuals should play a role in selecting words to describe themselves.

My personal favorite is #7, which provides the PC Police carte blanche with pretty much anything you say at any time to anyone, ever.

ywc-logo-design.png

Hey Mac, next time you sit down with a client that is black, Muslim, Jewish, Indian, Oriental, gay, black, whatever they are that is different than you, please find a way to inject into your conversation something that you know will offend said potential client.

And when they get offended and don't want to do business with you, ask them why they are so sensitive about being insulted.

You didn't mean anything when you called em a slope head, or a ****,. or a mudslime.

You just don't practice political correctness . And if they do, you wouldn't want them for a client anyway. Right?

Hey Mac.....please name the USMB members who are PC based on that list. Then prove it. Nobody here meets the criteria on that list.

Perhaps not, but plenty of leftwing assholes like you will attack anyone who doesn't follow your PC rules.

Once again, idiot....not stalking you. Just responding to threads. If you weren't here posting.....I'd never give you a moment of thought.

I acknowledge the existence of political,correctness. I just don't think it is a big deal. There is no weight of law behind it. Some people wish to express themselves when they are offended. It doesn't stop you from offending them....unless you decide that it isn't worth it to you. Some people think that others should be treated with kindness and consideration....and they will let you know. That's all.

The idea that political correctness is an indication of moral decay or decline in this nation is pretty silly.

It would further the discussion, however, to identify the people here who are PC. Who wants to do that?

Hey Mac.....please name the USMB members who are PC based on that list. Then prove it. Nobody here meets the criteria on that list.

Perhaps not, but plenty of leftwing assholes like you will attack anyone who doesn't follow your PC rules.

Like what rules, retard? What rule of mine have I ever attacked you for breaking? What kind of attack? Calling you a moron, a dipshit, a loser? Is that attacking you?

Let's have some examples, cocksucker.

Who here has been personally impacted by. PC in this country? I'd like to examine the cases that have really made your life miserable.

Who's got an example?

Like what rules, retard? What rule of mine have I ever attacked you for breaking? What kind of attack? Calling you a moron, a dipshit, a loser? Is that attacking you?

Let's have some examples, cocksucker.

My, my! The hostility is incandescent.

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT

Forum List

Back