How's that 401k doing?

Pensions going away is not a Republican or a Democrat thing, it is a corporate profit thing. I'm retired but younger than you, no company pension per se but we're doing fine. You just have to be more pro-active with your investments and saving and conservative with expenditures.

I’m lucky to work for a company that still offers a pension

Good for you glad to hear that. So am I.

The wife and I just lost a bundle out of our 401k's. But we have something many of you don't have. We are retired and get Social Security but we are old enough so that we lived in a very different country than you are living in. We went to work in the 1960's when companies offered pensions to attract employees.

I was in the Steelworker's Union for 20 years before I met my wife at the company we both worked at for another 30 years. I get a nice pension from them. The wife and I also get nice pensions from our mutual company.

Do you get pensions? My guess is you do not. Beginning in the late 1980's your government decided to go global which meant that your standard of living had to be lowered to accommodate its entry into global markets.

In order for American industry to build plants overseas where foreign citizens die in the gutter when they get old, they took away your pensions to pay for the move. They also destroyed great American healthcare and replaced it with the laughable Affordable Care Act.

The reason my wife and I know this is because we know what it was like before and of course, when we cash those pension checks you will never see. By the way, the Congress that took away your pensions gets great pensions that you pay for. They decided that you didn't need pensions so you could get inexpensive stuff from China and they could get rich in the process. How's that working out? The 401k you get instead of a pension I mean.

Before you get sick from the Coronavirus and infect my wife and I, you might want take a long, hard look at the people who have been running this country. Ask yourselves where you're going to be when you get old like us.
You didn't lose anything if you didn't cash out.

And my wife and I are doing just fine without a pension in fact I have never even included any Social Security in my planning.

I'm not sweating this bear market because I have a little over 20 years before I plan on drawing from my retirement savings

Pretty much all government employees get ridiculous pensions. I think they base it on the last 2 years in which the government employee will work overtime whenever possible. So they base it on their overpaid salary until the end, and is there a wonder why government raise taxes on constructive American citizens each year! I was offered a lump sum and since I am an active stock trader, calculated I could invest the sum to result in more cash in shorter time, took the lump sum. I recall at one of the Fortune 500 companies I worked for as an accountant, their "401K" was matching so if you put away anything up to a certain amount they would match it and put everything in company stock, a mutual fund or a money market fund. Plus they provided a pension as indicated. And they had a SERP, Supplemental Executive Retirement Plan, for certain executives and directors to get around SEC or IRS restrictions. :p

How many is "pretty much?" How "ridiculous" are these pension payments?

The wife and I just lost a bundle out of our 401k's. But we have something many of you don't have. We are retired and get Social Security but we are old enough so that we lived in a very different country than you are living in. We went to work in the 1960's when companies offered pensions to attract employees.

I was in the Steelworker's Union for 20 years before I met my wife at the company we both worked at for another 30 years. I get a nice pension from them. The wife and I also get nice pensions from our mutual company.

Do you get pensions? My guess is you do not. Beginning in the late 1980's your government decided to go global which meant that your standard of living had to be lowered to accommodate its entry into global markets.

In order for American industry to build plants overseas where foreign citizens die in the gutter when they get old, they took away your pensions to pay for the move. They also destroyed great American healthcare and replaced it with the laughable Affordable Care Act.

The reason my wife and I know this is because we know what it was like before and of course, when we cash those pension checks you will never see. By the way, the Congress that took away your pensions gets great pensions that you pay for. They decided that you didn't need pensions so you could get inexpensive stuff from China and they could get rich in the process. How's that working out? The 401k you get instead of a pension I mean.

Before you get sick from the Coronavirus and infect my wife and I, you might want take a long, hard look at the people who have been running this country. Ask yourselves where you're going to be when you get old like us.

And my wife and I are doing just fine without a pension in fact I have never even included any Social Security in my planning.

I'm not sweating this bear market because I have a little over 20 years before I plan on drawing from my retirement savings

What about those American Workers that have ten years, or five years?

Pretty much all government employees get ridiculous pensions. I think they base it on the last 2 years in which the government employee will work overtime whenever possible. So they base it on their overpaid salary until the end, and is there a wonder why government raise taxes on constructive American citizens each year! I was offered a lump sum and since I am an active stock trader, calculated I could invest the sum to result in more cash in shorter time, took the lump sum. I recall at one of the Fortune 500 companies I worked for as an accountant, their "401K" was matching so if you put away anything up to a certain amount they would match it and put everything in company stock, a mutual fund or a money market fund. Plus they provided a pension as indicated. And they had a SERP, Supplemental Executive Retirement Plan, for certain executives and directors to get around SEC or IRS restrictions. :p

80% of the highest 3 years for Massachusetts. So, of course, anyone within 3 years of retirement works a bunch of overtime to spike their pension.

Then you have the MBTA hacks, who could, for decades, "retire" in their 40s!

Clinton's NAFTA and The WTO caused that.

And before that, Jimmy Carter destroyed our Electronics and Textiles manufacturing base with Globalist Trade Deals.

Globalism is Evil and Anti-American.

For three years Trump has fought a trade war with the Chinese Communists and the Democrats. I watched the democrat serfs here snicker and brag that China would walk all over us and we would have to surrender to them, which would be a great blow to Trump. China held out in hopes of impeachment I suppose.

Companies consider themselves world citizens now..not US. And they are run by internationalists just as the media is. A group who consider themselves to have no national loyalty.

Like you I remember a different America. It fell a few decades ago. You can watch old TV shows to see the difference. Its like watching the culture of a foreign country.

And multinational companies are also members of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

For three years Trump has fought a trade war with the Chinese Communists and the Democrats. I watched the democrat serfs here snicker and brag that China would walk all over us and we would have to surrender to them, which would be a great blow to Trump. China held out in hopes of impeachment I suppose.

Companies consider themselves world citizens now..not US. And they are run by internationalists just as the media is. A group who consider themselves to have no national loyalty.

Like you I remember a different America. It fell a few decades ago. You can watch old TV shows to see the difference. Its like watching the culture of a foreign country.

There is a reason that companies consider themselves world citizens, and not American citizens. For crying out loud, they are OWNED by world citizens, not American citizens. The Chinese are very big into GM stock, for example. Is there some reason that you would thing that Chinese shareholders are going to vote their shares according to American workers interests instead of their own interests? Get real.

80% of the highest 3 years for Massachusetts. So, of course, anyone within 3 years of retirement works a bunch of overtime to spike their pension.

And their Social Security payments are how much?

I'm a retired Canadian. My government is already announcing how Canadians can access cash income supports. Low income Canadians will be receiving their first government income support cheques on April 4th, with an extra amount on our GST refund cheques.

In the USA, business leaders are asking that any workers payments get funnelled through their employers. What, so they get yet another cut, after the big tax cut in 2018? .-;

I'm a retired Canadian. My government is already announcing how Canadians can access cash income supports. Low income Canadians will be receiving their first government income support cheques on April 4th, with an extra amount on our GST refund cheques.

In the USA, business leaders are asking that any workers payments get funnelled through their employers. What, so they get yet another cut, after the big tax cut in 2018? .-;

Those poor over abused corporations they need all the financial help they can get.

What about those American Workers that have ten years, or five years?
If they were 5 years from retirement they should have an allocation that would insulate them from wild swings in the equity markets

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

And their Social Security payments are how much?
I have no idea, and it's irrelevant. Deflection, not even a fair one. 1.5/10 at best.

Forum List

Back