Huge Explosion in Waco Texas. Many injured.

That is exactly what I was thinking, Gracie. No news is good news though. It sounds as if it was a terrible accident at this point. It is very scary that these two explosions happened so close to each other. My prayers to the families. This is a real nightmare.

Right. Just incredible stupidity allowing construction of any human habitat near THAT much potential for explosion. If the fertilizer plant was there first the people that built the apartments and the officials that allowed it should be arrested and convicted of conspiracy to commit murder.

Also... the fire department officials allowing thier people to go INTO this bomb waiting to go off to put out a fire was beyond stupid...and criminal. ALL they should have been concerned with is evacuation for the dumb asses that were living near(half a mile) the initial fire knowing that fertilizer will eventually expolde. That was no secret to the fire department and probably several officials.

goes the same apply to officials that allow folks to build in known hurricane zones

That is exactly what I was thinking, Gracie. No news is good news though. It sounds as if it was a terrible accident at this point. It is very scary that these two explosions happened so close to each other. My prayers to the families. This is a real nightmare.

Right. Just incredible stupidity allowing construction of any human habitat near THAT much potential for explosion. If the fertilizer plant was there first the people that built the apartments and the officials that allowed it should be arrested and convicted of conspiracy to commit murder.

Also... the fire department officials allowing thier people to go INTO this bomb waiting to go off to put out a fire was beyond stupid...and criminal. ALL they should have been concerned with is evacuation for the dumb asses that were living near(half a mile) the initial fire knowing that fertilizer will eventually expolde. That was no secret to the fire department and probably several officials.

goes the same apply to officials that allow folks to build in known hurricane zones

No, I don't think so. Hurricane zones include most of the world.

Of course areas where a hurricane will obviously destroy homes, like buffer islands, is entirely a different matter.

No, I don't think so. Hurricane zones include most of the world.

Of course areas where a hurricane will obviously destroy homes, like buffer islands, is entirely a different matter.

we are not talking the world here

we are talking the United States

and specific areas on the coast

So we should shut down industry, close the plants that allow people to make money...or force all people to live huddled together in government approved safe zones.

Give it a break, loons.

So we should shut down industry, close the plants that allow people to make money...or force all people to live huddled together in government approved safe zones.

Give it a break, loons.

we are having trouble getting a refinery up and running out here

in South Dakota

That's a bit of a stretch. I will allow that construction in a hurricane zone should be of the nature of taking into account potential and likely wind and tide surge. It is also not THAT hard to evacuate from most hurricaine scenerios. Evacuation from a BOMB is not possible. I am surprised that the fertilizer factory/plant didn't explode earlier in the fire. Any chemical engineer could have calculated the potential for disaster with that much bomb fuel available. X amount of fertilizer will blow the shit out of anything within an X radius. Not rocket surgery.

Give it a break, loons.

As usual KG is as stupid as allowed in a habitable human frame.

Yes moron. It should be illegal to "A" build fertilizer "bomb" plant within a safe distance from human lives OR "B" build human habitat within a safe radius of a fertilizer "bomb" plant.

A fire in a "bomb" plant has predictable results. Go figure!

That's a bit of a stretch. I will allow that construction in a hurricane zone should be of the nature of taking into account potential and likely wind and tide surge. It is also not THAT hard to evacuate from most hurricaine scenerios. Evacuation from a BOMB is not possible. I am surprised that the fertilizer factory/plant didn't explode earlier in the fire. Any chemical engineer could have calculated the potential for disaster with that much bomb fuel available. X amount of fertilizer will blow the shit out of anything within an X radius. Not rocket surgery.

out here we have been trying to get a refinery up and running

the epa has put its blessing on it

but it keeps running into court battles

with the enviros

latest is the enviros are hoping to run the clock out

on the air quality permit by pushing for a chemical plant

if a chemical plant gets up and running first

it will use up the area needed to fall into air quality standards

with the enviros

Not every area is suitable for a refinery. As has been demonstrated by this explosion in West Texas one must consider ALL of the potential for possible/likely air quality standards if there is a disaster at the refinery. Think of it like this.. How much gasoline and dangerous chemicals should your neighbor be allowed to store in his garage? Oh..and he will be welding every day and there are flames allowed to burn constantly in his garage also ...so just incase there is a spill of some fuel and a fire his garage WILL blow up.

That is not to suggest that there are not plenty of places that a refinery could not be built. Just not near human habitat thank you. OR buy all the land where folks live and would be at risk.

with the enviros

Not every area is suitable for a refinery. As has been demonstrated by this explosion in West Texas one must consider ALL of the potential for possible/likely air quality standards if there is a disaster at the refinery. Think of it like this.. How much gasoline and dangerous chemicals should your neighbor be allowed to store in his garage? Oh..and he will be welding every day and there are flames allowed to burn constantly in his garage also ...so just incase there is a spill of some fuel and a fire his garage WILL blow up.

That is not to suggest that there are not plenty of places that a refinery could not be built. Just not near human habitat thank you. OR buy all the land where folks live and would be at risk.

the epa already did its study

and found the state to be suitable for a refinery

so the enviros go all in with

pushing for a chemical plant over a refinery

--LOL

My dogs texted back that they're too broke to travel. It's all the support they have to pay..it brings their income down to almost zero.

Last edited:
Fertilizer plants and grain elevators = ticking time bombs.

You don't ventilate them properly or decide to take a smoke break in one, you're asking for trouble.

The water the firemen were putting on the original fire had some sort of chemical reaction with something and that is what created the explosion. I read one of Gracies articles and they said that was what caused the explosion. So I don't believe it is possible this was anything but a horrific accident.

I heard just awhile ago in the news conference that those firemen knew what they were doing and wouldn't have used something there they shouldn't have. We will have to wait to see if indeed that is true.

The water the firemen were putting on the original fire had some sort of chemical reaction with something and that is what created the explosion. I read one of Gracies articles and they said that was what caused the explosion. So I don't believe it is possible this was anything but a horrific accident.

I heard just awhile ago in the news conference that those firemen knew what they were doing and wouldn't have used something there they shouldn't have. We will have to wait to see if indeed that is true.

Okay. I know firefighters are trained very thoroughly. I did wonder why they would not have known the water would set off such a reaction. Still I am disturbed over their having built those homes and businesses, apts so close to that plant. The people who built the plant knew the danger I'm sure. Somewhere along the way money must have exchanged hands for someone to look the other way. Texas is a good ole boy state. Know the right people and anything can be done for you. When these companies build dangerous plants producing chemicals, contamination of water supply, etc. they should be held accountable. Even in the story of Erin Brogavich the company responsible was so powerful and wealthy - no one was held accountable - no one was every brought to trial and put in prison over it. There was a civil suit that payed off the people but no justice. This should not be. It isn't right. - Jeremiah

Forum List

Back