Human Intelligence Has Declined

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009

Our technology may be getting smarter, but a provocative new study suggests human intelligence is on the decline. In fact, it indicates that Westerners have lost 14 I.Q. points on average since the Victorian Era.

What exactly explains this decline? Study co-author Dr. Jan te Nijenhuis, professor of work and organizational psychology at the University of Amsterdam, points to the fact thatwomen of high intelligence tend to have fewer children than do women of lower intelligence. This negative association between I.Q. and fertility has been demonstrated time and again in research over the last century.

Last edited by a moderator:

Our technology may be getting smarter, but a provocative new study suggests human intelligence is on the decline. In fact, it indicates that Westerners have lost 14 I.Q. points on average since the Victorian Era.

What exactly explains this decline? Study co-author Dr. Jan te Nijenhuis, professor of work and organizational psychology at the University of Amsterdam, points to the fact thatwomen of high intelligence tend to have fewer children than do women of lower intelligence. This negative association between I.Q. and fertility has been demonstrated time and again in research over the last century.

romney-summerpic.jpeg

Yeah...it's a real shame the smart ones dont pop out kids left and right until they can afford them. Unlike some people in society who fuck for financial gain.
Sounds to me like we need to do something about dumbfucks breeding so much.
But that would be racist.

I used to have this theory that there is a limited amount of "soul power" in the universe. Whenever another human is born, it further dilutes that pool; each additional birth creates a general decline in individual intelligence.

Stupid idea, I know . . .

You cited the "eugenics" idea above, which was popular about a hundred years ago and attempted to blame low intelligence on rampant breeding by the poor and non-white people. That seems stupid, too.

I now believe that human intelligence is almost entirely a function of nurturing and environment. It isn't hard to find collaborating evidence of that.

Plus, we don't work as hard as people did in the past. We rely alot upon technology and accrued intelligence now. No need to re-invent the wheel, is there?

Looks like a repackaging of Eugenics. Not impressed.

We water down the standardized tests, we use calculators, so we don't need to do basic math functions, we use digital clocks instead reading analog clocks, we watch television instead of reading, what do we expect?

People are sitting at home getting welfare checks instead if being productive and having children is considered a bonafide wage compliments from the government. The more children you bear the larger your monthly check.

The uneducated reproduce faster and with greater frequency than smarter people, and technology is further making intelligence less and less necessary, not mention that society tends to reward stupidity and make intelligence seem "wimpy" or "elitist"

All I had to do was spend a few days on this forum to realize how much IQs have sank just in my lifetime.

:evil::evil::evil:

All I had to do was spend a few days on this forum to realize how much IQs have sank just in my lifetime.

:evil::evil::evil:

dis aint nuthtn', watch 'The Soup' for 5 minutes....:doubt:

Or any reality show. Or maybe you could listen to what currently passes for "music" on the radio. Or listen to a talk show where a professional shill tells you how and what to think and say.

Society has been dumbed down. It's not a matter of income or race or number of kids, it's lazy thinking. Look how many people insist that public education indocrinates kids. Their alternative solutions, if any, do not promote higher thinking.

How many people here have taken a stand pro or con an issue simply because their news source of choice said to? How often do any of us give very serious critical thought to any matter anymore, political or otherwise?

By example, I know a guy, no matter what comes up he quotes some old saying. Just a kneejerk reaction, he opens his face and noise comes out. He isn't helping matters at all, he has no idea what to do to make the situation better. That would require learning something, and he's too damn lazy to think.

More of us need to learn to play chess, not watch someone else playing checkers.

I suspect there is something to this.

WE KNOW that modern men were weak compared to our pre-industrial age forefathers.

Now as machines are starting to do our thinking (memory, computations, etc) for us?

I do not doubt that the human genome is responding to that development, too.

I suspect there is something to this.

WE KNOW that modern men were weak compared to our pre-industrial age forefathers.

Now as machines are starting to do our thinking (memory, computations, etc) for us?

I do not doubt that the human genome is responding to that development, too.

to soon in the evolutionary time frame imho, BUT we are 'thinking' less and when you don't exercise the brain, yes, it will come...those parts of our brain that require it for higher processes will result in atrophy....

Forum List

Back