"I am coming Lord"

Musical people make music. They don't just put earbuds in, see. They make it.

Do our people stop and sing with drummers on the street, as in Africa?

Do our people sing in pubs, as in the UK? Or sing anywhere? We don't sing the National Anthem. We don't even sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", which isn't super easy but not nearly as difficult as SSB.

I don't see Americans gathering instruments together as a matter of course to make music. We give our kids lessons and take band in 6th-7th grade and then forget it. I stand by what I said absolutely.

Apparently your sporting events preferences are horse races and gold tournaments. People sing as every baseball and football game I have ever been to.

That is a problem. Sadly I've met quite a few people who believe that arts are not important.

Well I'm sorry to tell them, but the rest of education is catching up to how valuable learning like an artist is. They are into this thing now called "Project based learning" where you learn something and then make a project out of it.

Yeah, like...concerts? Like live performances?

As always, music was ahead of the curve. I tell people yeah, we did this before it was a thing. heh

I was astonished to read that this hymn is not a Welsh hymn but a translation. Music can reach out across the world.
In Wales religion is generally non conformist with Anglicanism very much a minority and Methodists, Calvinists, Baptists and the like holding sway. The audience in the OP who were singing would have known this hymn from whatever chapel they attended.

In school assembly we would sing hymns every day and even now I can recite some of them after a lapse of 50 years.

But chapel going is on the wane and the conditions which helped build communities like this are gone. in another generation the culture will be gone. Its very sad and moves me to tears.

Forum List

Back