Zone1 I never said that "Personal relationship with Jesus" is unbiblical, just that...

notmyfault2020

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2022
I made a thread about how a "personal relationship w/ Jesus" is not in the Bible. What I meant was that it is not EXPLICITLY there, but a lot of Protestants believe in sola scriptura, which means if it can't be found explicitly in the Bible, you can't trust it, and you are to disregard beliefs not explicitly found there.

A personal relationship with Jesus IS, however, implicitly there. And working on that relationship is a very good idea. In one Scripture Jesus says that He rejects certain people who claim to belong to Him and wnat to enter Heaven. He rejects them, saying "Depart from me, you evil doers, I never KNEW you" (emphasis added).

So yeh... always a good thing to let Jesus KNOW you... (not just... that You know Him [Some only seem to know OF Him])

The relationship that Abraham had with God...that seems like a personal relationship. Abraham knew God and God knew Abraham. Same with David. Elijah.

Jesus said that whatever you do to the least of you you do it to him. This implies that your relationship with Jesus is only as good as your service to humanity.

That's right....you spend time in his word as part of it.
when one is in the Real Presence (esp exposed) one does not need to read Scripture... His Presence is there and takes over... I know; I used to spend a lot of time there... or what some would say is "a lot of time" anyhow. It is really scary that His Presence seems to have been taken away from a lot of the NO "churches" But His Church cannot be utterly destroyed (Mt 16:18).. Even if someone is outside the Church, that person can pray to Jesus and think about Jesus and etc...

In a way, that poster is correct, though I would not have used those words.

It is heresy to think that because we are not saved BECAUSE of our works, we do not need to do any...
I didn't say that. Works are the evidence of the salvation. But not the reason for.

I didn't say that. Works are the evidence of the salvation. But not the reason for.
Exactly. I do nice things for my wife because I love her and want her to be happy, not because I'm trying to obligate her to do anything. That's treating her like an ATM, push the right buttons in the right sequence and it's obligated to give you goodies. None of us can tell God that we have done enough that He has to give us salvation. Ironically enough, salvation is free to all, if they accept it.

Protestants believe in sola scriptura, which means if it can't be found explicitly in the Bible, you can't trust it, and you are to disregard beliefs not explicitly found there.
I guess that means they don't believe it is possible to be guided by the Holy Spirit then. :rolleyes:

Since the original statement is not true, that one isn't either.
I don't know about the original statement but I know that I am guided - when I allow it - by the Holy Spirit. So I would assume everyone else is too. Even the ones that don't know it.

Forum List

Back