Zone1 I never said that "Personal relationship with Jesus" is unbiblical, just that...

I didn't say that. Works are the evidence of the salvation. But not the reason for.
works are required. Period.

If people are not careful in the way they word things, they will lead people to think that they don't have to do anything for Christ's Kingdom, just live a materialistic life, live for self primarily, to heck with everyone else and etc... and no problem.. they will get to Heaven. That is heresy and leads people to Hell. Jesus said "few find the Narrow way"

works are required. Period.

If people are not careful in the way they word things, they will lead people to think that they don't have to do anything for Christ's Kingdom, just live a materialistic life, live for self primarily, to heck with everyone else and etc... and no problem.. they will get to Heaven. That is heresy and leads people to Hell. Jesus said "few find the Narrow way"
Works are expected as the result of faith. Faith comes first, THEN works, because works without faith is as dead as faith without works. They go together, but faith comes first.

All your works done without faith do you no good at all.

you don't NOT earn it either

the whole works thing can be confusing for human beings... non-theologians. But really, it can be understood.. Read Mt 25:31 and James 2:14
We are discussing one of the big differences between Catholics and Protestants and what they believe.

We are discussing one of the big differences between Catholics and Protestants and what they believe.

that's a protestant source

I trust Catholic sources and not even all of them. I trust Norus Ordo Watch

that's a protestant source

I trust Catholic sources and not even all of them. I trust Norus Ordo Watch
So is works more important for salvation in the Catholic Church than it is in the Protestant church?

I am not arguing which is the right view as I believe both Protestants and Catholics will end up in heaven because they had faith in Christ.

I believe a Protestant Christian will produce good works as a good tree will produce good fruit.

"That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9, NIV)

So is works more important for salvation in the Catholic Church than it is in the Protestant church?

I am not arguing which is the right view as I believe both Protestants and Catholics will end up in heaven because they had faith in Christ.

I believe a Protestant Christian will produce good works as a good tree will produce good fruit.

"That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9, NIV)
Well, I think this is kind of a first here at the forum, someone who thinks both Catholic & Prot will get to Heaven. Of course only God knows so one must be careful

Leave out salvation, as works have nothing to do with salvation and everything to do with the Kingdom of God on earth as it is in heaven. This being the case, are works more important in the Catholic Church than in the Protestant church? Who does more work for the Kingdom of God?

Jesus said that those who do not feed the hungry, care for the strangers (I don't speak of those who illegally cross into other countries) and that kind of thing would not make it. Matthew 25:31-46

That should settle it.

Leave out salvation, as works have nothing to do with salvation and everything to do with the Kingdom of God on earth as it is in heaven. This being the case, are works more important in the Catholic Church than in the Protestant church? Who does more work for the Kingdom of God?
Interesting question for someone to research. It will be difficult to answer accurately as many donations are made by people that do not involve a church as are many works to improve the lives of those in need.

Matthew 25:31-46

To save time for those interested in looking up the verses you listed in the Bible.

New International Version

The Sheep and the Goats​

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink,43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Well, I think this is kind of a first here at the forum, someone who thinks both Catholic & Prot will get to Heaven. Of course only God knows so one must be careful
I see no reason why people who believe in Jesus and that the only way to go to heaven is through him would be denied that opportunity and sentenced to Hell because of differences in church rituals.

Humans tend to complicate things by imposing rules and regulations on everything.

you don't NOT earn it either

the whole works thing can be confusing for human beings... non-theologians. But really, it can be understood.. Read Mt 25:31 and James 2:14
For those who don’t want to take the time to look up verses.

Note: the following excerpts are from BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

The Sheep and the Goats​

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink,43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

James 2:14

Faith and Deeds​

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them?

I see no reason why people who believe in Jesus and that the only way to go to heaven is through him would be denied that opportunity and sentenced to Hell because of differences in church rituals.

Humans tend to complicate things by imposing rules and regulations on everything.
This is why I posed the question about peoples acfions over even their belief system per se. Just as Jesus warned "it is not what we put in our mouth) that is important but that which comes out of our mouth"

This is why I posed the question about peoples acfions over even their belief system per se. Just as Jesus warned "it is not what we put in our mouth) that is important but that which comes out of our mouth"
As humans when we gain power we love to complicate things. I couldn’t count how many times Christians have told me I was going to Hell for swearing. Yet, there is only one unforgivable sin.

I believe in the phrase Keep it simple, stupid.

***snip***

However, man lives his life in rebellion against God, and cannot be in the Lord’s holy presence in sin, and therefore cannot go to heaven on his own merits. To rectify the issue of man’s sinful nature, God sent His Son Jesus to die and bear the punishment for the sins of the world, and Jesus was resurrected three days later. If someone acknowledges their sin, repents of it, and accepts Jesus as the Lord of their life, and His substitution for us on the cross, placing their faith in Him, that person can spend eternity with their Savior in heaven.…emphasis added

Forum List

Back