I used to be a Liberal

We are all liberals until we do the math; those who allow their feelings to trump affordability stay liberal, and turn into incorrigible, progressive, ideolouges - like Obama. :eusa_boohoo:

Reagan inherited the worst economy since the Great Depression, yet when he left, inflation was crushed along with the USSR, unemployment was down, interest rates plummeted and the economy averaged 3.2% annual growth

How was Carter's economic growth larger during that period if reagan allegedly inherited a bad economy? If Obama raised taxes with that same excuse, many republicans would be pretty upset. Are you possibly stating that tax increases are the answer for growing the economy? From above: "The new revenues are due to four giant Republican tax increases since 1981".

Anyone else used to be a liberal?

I used to be a Liberal and I still am a Liberal. :)

omg first thing came to mind....he's a nouveau liberal.

Phoenix ops and I have been at this for a number of years.

I'm the old one. :eusa_angel:

The liberals of today aren't classical liberals.

A classical liberal doesn't want to control you.

Last edited:

Reagan inherited the worst economy since the Great Depression, yet when he left, inflation was crushed along with the USSR, unemployment was down, interest rates plummeted and the economy averaged 3.2% annual growth

My you are gullible aren't you? The USSR had been creaking and crumbling since the mid-'70s. If I go sit on the porch and the moon comes up, it doesn't mean I caused it.

We are all liberals until we do the math; those who allow their feelings to trump affordability stay liberal, and turn into incorrigible, progressive, ideolouges - like Obama. :eusa_boohoo:

You just believe a lot of BS propaganda and lies. Reaganism only helps the rich in the long run....

Voodoo wrecked and IS WRECKING the nonrich to the point where demand for products and services has dried up, along with their savings...before the corruption and cronyism housing and credit meltdown of 2008...

Memorize the facts, hater dupes:

1. WORKERS past 63 years worker productivity has grown by 2.0% per year.But after 1980, workers received a smaller share every year. Labor’s share of income (1992 = 100%):1950 = 101%1960 = 105%1970 = 105%1980 = 105% – Reagan1990 = 100%2000 = 96%2007 = 92%A 13% drop since 1980A 13% drop since 1980

2. THE TOP 10% GET A LARGER SHARE.Share of National Income going to Top 10%:1950 = 35%1960 = 34%1970 = 34%1980 = 34% – Reagan1990 = 40%2000 = 47%2007 = 50% TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOSS.Household Debt as percentage of GDP:1965 = 46%1970 = 45%1980 = 50% – Reagan1990 = 61%2000 = 69%2007 = 95% An increase of 16% since Reagan.

3. WORKERS COMPENSATED FOR THE LOSS OF INCOME BY SPENDING THEIR SAVINGS.The savings Rose up to Reagan and fell during and after.1950 = 6.0%1960 = 7.0%1970 = 8.5%1980 = 10.0% – Reagan1982 = 11.2% – Peak1990 = 7.0%2000 = 2.0%2006 = -1.1% (Negative = withdrawing from savings)

Household Debt as percentage of GDP:1965 = 46%1970 = 45%1980 = 50% – Reagan1990 = 61%2000 = 69%2007 = 95%A 45% increase after 1980.

5. SO THE GAP BETWEEN THE RICHEST AND THE POOREST HAS GROWN.Gap Between the Share of Capital Income earned by the top 1%and the bottom 80%:1980 = 10%2003 = 56%A 5.6 times increase.

6. AND THE AMERICAN DREAM IS GONE.The Probably of Moving Up from the Bottom 40% to the Top 40%:1945 = 12%1958 = 6%1990 = 3%2000 = 2%A 10% Decrease.

Links:1 = ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/pf/totalf1.txt1 = https://www.clevelandfed.org/Researc...s/No7Nov04.pdf1 = Clipboard01.jpg (image)2 – Congratulations to Emmanuel Saez | The White House3 = http://www.demos.org/inequality/imag...ving_thumb.gif3 = http://www.bea.gov/national/nipaweb/...&LastYear=20104 = http://www.prudentbear.com/index.php...or-debt-of-gdp4 = FRB: Z.1 Release--Financial Accounts of the United States--June 6, 20135/6 = Wealth And Inequality In America - Business Insider

I grew up in the South at least part of the way and was fairly conservative in my views. I've actually gotten more liberal as I've gotten older.

Conservatives just seem mean. The part of Obamacare that would allow your child to stay on your insurance until they are 26. It would cost nobody but the policy holder a dime. Conservatives? Hate it. Why? You'd have to ask them.

Gay Marriage. One conservative poster here says it's not about hate or fear, it's about the Bible as the basis to oppose same sex marriage.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/297205-perspective-how-it-all-happened-18.html#post7352844

I asked about why the conservatives do not so zealously seek to enforce all parts of the bible such as selling daughters into slavery, burning people at the stake, putting those who touch the pigskin to death because it makes them unclean.

No answer so it leads me to believe it's all about fear, or hate and probably both.

Taxes; Just this week we had a big discussion on a local district in Texas spending $60 million on a football stadium when, obviously, there are far better uses for that money (the entire bond issued they floated was $119 million--over half went to the Stadium that will sit vacant for most of it's life). Somehow, conservatives found every excuse in the world to endorse the waste even citing how sports makes you more sympathetic to homosexuals (I'm telling you, you can't make this shit up). http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/306533-liberals-are-ruining-sports-6.html#post7643580
If I were to propose $0.60 increase for food stamps or AFDC, you would hear no end to the outrage.

I could cite examples forever--just from this board.

Anyway, conservatives just seem mean, spiteful, and frankly dumb on the whole. Not everyone...let me state that. But when it's 90 degrees at 10 PM and you're thinking "Hey, this is normal" when it used to only very rarely get that hot if ever, you're probably not too bright.

So when I started thinking for myself, I decided I didn't want to be part of that group. It lead to a lot of lunches where I was the only one at the table and some of my "friends" are no longer in my life although we have met on common ground in a few cases.

It was stated earlier in this thread:

And in all the years you've been working, not a single one of your conservative heroes have ever done anything to relieve you of your oppressive tax burden now have they.

There didn't seem to be a lot of citations about conservatives who have done much in the theater although I'm sure you can find politicians of both parties that have found ways to reduce taxes on a small scale.

I think both parties are totally out to lunch fiscally. We've developed...no, WE'VE LET our elected officials in Washington and in many State houses develop a "ruling class" that is almost without any real check on their gluttony and ability to spend enormous amounts of money without any real result being seen on the streets.

So I base my ideology on social issues. Gay marriage does nothing to injure, obscure, change, infringe, cloud, or tamper with any relationship I may have going forward. A woman's right to reproductive choice is a no-brainer. The only thing that has ever changed the world is education and it's unthinkable that we have people who think that there are too many Americans in College. Funding for education should be a civil right. I am for voter registration where a picture ID is your voter registration card and I am for securing our border with Army troops. I'm for a doctrine that leans toward occupying--not just conquering--but occupying the next 3rd world shit-hole our fighting men and women are sent to in the name of liberating a native people. At worst they won't be as bad off as they were before we got there. At best, we have an outpost. What, we lost 6,000 soldiers in Iraq and their government is maybe a borderline ally--THIS WEEK.

But the idea that somehow conservatives don't waste money is funny. You're paying your congressman now; she/he is probably not thinking about you; never has and likely never will.

That screed just isn't worth responding to.

But you did anyway...

Anyway, conservatives just seem mean, spiteful, and frankly dumb on the whole.

Textbook example.

We are all liberals until we do the math; those who allow their feelings to trump affordability stay liberal,...

I was pretty conservative growing up actually but that's neither here nor there...

Is your life all about the profit/loss column? I would hope not.

Forum List

Back