If Christians are allowed to discriminate against gays ...

Should gays be allowed to discriminate against Christians?

• Seems fair to me.

• No, only religious people should be protected.

Results are only viewable after voting.
The correct solution was to disarm BOTH sides and declare marriage a contractual arrangement that does not, and should not require any type of state permission (license).
Leaving the door open to child marriages, coerced marriages , and incest.

Notice how PP is trying to deny this “right” to others by using fear and misstatements?

Remind you of anything else?
What right am I trying to deny to who, Bubba? You wouldn't be suggesting that people have the right to marry children, now would you?

Marriage is a contract, the law prohibits children into entering into a contract of that sort.

You are trying to deny people who want to Marry more than one person at a time, or those that want multiple licence from doing so, using the same methods and reasoning that you claimed to detest in the pre legalized same sex marriage debates.

If these hypocritical bakers stopped baking cakes for people who have divorced and are therefore adulterers, their business model would immediately implode. They'd be out of business.

So their arguments are horseshit. This is about hate. It has nothing to do with loving Jesus or the bible or the First Amendment.

At the very least, the Equal Protection Clause demands that racial classifications, especially suspect in criminal statutes, be subjected to the "most rigid scrutiny," Korematsu v. United States, 323 U.S. 214, 216 (1944), and, if they are ever to be upheld, they must be shown to be necessary to the accomplishment of some permissible state objective, independent of the racial discrimination which it was the object of the Fourteenth Amendment to eliminate.

Loving v. Virginia

Discrimination against gays much be shown to
The bigoted bakers are pleading First Amendment rights. It's horseshit. Their bigotry has nothing to do with religion and the free exercise thereof. This is easily proven by their willingness to bake cakes for adulterers.

Have you ever heard of a baker refusing to bake a cake for someone remarrying?

Me, either.

And yet Jesus quite plainly said that is adultery. He never said a word about gays.

So the bigoted bakers' argument they are being biblicaly compliant is utter horseshit.

Except Marriage doesn't have sex as a material reason to marry, so there's that, plus this same Baker would not bake a cake for a Heterosexual same sex couple, same as a Homosexual Couple because the teaching is that Marriage is between a Man and a Woman.

Is your head about to pop yet?
I never said sex was a material reason to marry. Your premise is therefore entirely false.

Jesus was quite plain in his definition of adultery and those who divorce and remarry. Anyone who bakes a cake for someone who has divorced is not complying with the Bible.

Is your head about to pop yet?

The Church is perfectly capable of administrating the aduletry aspect and when allowed, give forgiveness and consent.

Is your head already popped?

If these hypocritical bakers stopped baking cakes for people who have divorced and are therefore adulterers, their business model would immediately implode. They'd be out of business.

So their arguments are horseshit. This is about hate. It has nothing to do with the bible or the First Amendment.

The only hate I've seen is on your sides part.

How? Common.....if there were no laws against discrimination, if government just took a back seat to most interactions between citizens what would we have? We would have social Darwinism, and minorities would be screwed.
I do not share your lack of faith in humanity.

Will there be discrimination? Sure. Will good people step up? We always do.

Past racial discrimination was perpetuated from a time when white people believed that the white race was superior. We are way past that now. Darwinism has killed off the bigots (for the most part). You are seeing the same thing with gays.

I have faith in people. They just need leadership.
I am quite convinced that you're living in a fantasy world. We are no so far along and there are plenty of white people who are racists and there are still a good many homophobes as well. Good people will step up? What does that look like in the real world? I have faith in humanity-to a point and only to a point.

The homo marriage thing has never been about getting equal rights.

It has always been about eliminating the rights of Christians and bringing the churches under state control. Always.
You may be correct, but that's a two-way street.

It has always been about controlling other people.

One side wanted to control the relationships of others, while the other side wanted to control the religious beliefs of the other side. Gays were just caught up in it, and used as political pawns, when they simply wanted the same life as straight people.

The correct solution was to disarm BOTH sides and declare marriage a contractual arrangement that does not, and should not require any type of state permission (license).

That would have fix all the problems.

Court can dissolve partnerships. A marriage is no different.

Courts already handle child-custody cases, so that nothing new either.

A contract does not require gender specifics. Nor is it limited to just two parties (polygamy--oh, no!!!). Nor does it exclude siblings or other close family members (incest -- oh, no!!!). It doesn't require the people to love each other or to be able to produce retarded spawn.

People with the legal capacity to enter into contracts have the legal capacity to marry. That eliminates children, dogs, trees, all other bullshit boogy-man concerns about what marriage will become.

When everyone started treating marriage as a privilege bestowed on us by the state, we lost our way. I believe it started with racism. One had to get permission from the state to be a "race traitor" and marry someone of a different race.

So, while I am glad the SCOTUS gave rights to gay couples, I think they missed an opportunity, but they may not have had the guts to live with the consequences. I see that in a lot of SCOTUS opinions.
It never fails that in every topic about gay marriage, sooner or later someone comes along and tries to draw an equation between gays and pedophiles.

This is a slippery slope logical fallacy.

As I have repeatedly said, one must show a societal harm. One must show a rational reason for denying a class equal protection of the laws.

There is a rational reason for excluding pedophiles. There is no rational reason for excluding gays.

It never fails that in every topic about gay marriage, sooner or later someone comes along and tries to draw an equation between gays and pedophiles.

This is a slippery slope logical fallacy.

As I have repeatedly said, one must show a societal harm. One must show a rational reason for denying a hated group equal protection of the laws.

There is a rational reason for excluding pedophiles. There is no rational reason for excluding gays.

Your premise fails.
Wait a minute.

What do you think I was arguing?

I showed that seeing a marriage for what it really is (a contract) eliminates all those bullshit slippery slope arguments except incest and polygamy, neither of which should be illegal.

We ended up with a big mess when marriage ceased to be a contract and morphed into a government-sanctioned "institution" (whatever the fuck that means).

... then gays should be allowed to discriminate against Christians.

Agree or Disagree?

Actually that is OK. It is called Liberty. We don't need the filthy ass government telling us who we have to associate with, do we?

So their arguments are horseshit. This is about hate. It has nothing to do with the bible or the First Amendment.

The only hate I've seen is on your sides part.
I freely admit I do not like hypocritical bigots who commit sacrilege to further their bigotry.

I'm working on it.

We can't force them not to be bigots. But we can force them not to discriminate.
The consequence of that distinction is exactly the same.

It's forcing someone to serve another against their will, but only if they want to refuse service for some reason SOME PEOPLE find offensive and mean.

It's the same bullshit.

Example:
I can refuse service to someone because I don't like their ugly hair. But, if I refuse service because I don't like their sexual orientation, I must be punished.

What about discrimination against people with bad hair?

Some want to force others to be nice. That ALL this shit is about.

Notice how PP is trying to deny this “right” to others by using fear and misstatements?

Remind you of anything else?
I think PP he has good intentions. I believe he listens and tries to understand my perspective. I also believe he understands where I'm coming from on the the liberty-first perceptive, even if he doesn't agree with it.

I hope everyone at least understands that I mean no ill will toward them--that I am not his enemy, even though we disagree.

:dunno:
Thank you . I sort of understand you, and yes, I disagree .I do believe that you mean no harm. However, I also believe that what you advocate will, indeed result in great harm to some

We can't force them not to be bigots. But we can force them not to discriminate.

It's forcing someone to serve another against their will, but only if they want to refuse service for some reason SOME PEOPLE find offensive and mean.

It's the same bullshit.

Example:
I can refuse service to someone because I don't like their ugly hair. But, if I refuse service because I don't like their sexual orientation, I must be punished.

Well, the ugly hair people can always band together and demand their rights, too.

Donald Trump can be their leader.

The homo marriage thing has never been about getting equal rights.

It has always been about eliminating the rights of Christians and bringing the churches under state control. Always.

What does recognizing the right of LGBTs to legally marry, either in a civil ceremony or in a ceremony conducted by according to the customs of their religious faith, Christian or other, have anything to do with eliminating the rights of those Christian sects who oppose same-sex marriage? You folks still end up having whatever ceremonies and rituals you want. Dance around the altar naked or dress in purple and do back-flips on the church lawn if you wish. And nobody is telling you that you can't have sex, take tax deductions, will your property to whomever you wish.

We're sitting here, talking about a Christian business owner being dragged all the way to the Supreme Court of the United States, spending God knows how much money on legal fees simply to defend his ability to stay in business, all because a homosexual couple demanded that he view their relationship as a "marriage", and you seriously are obtuse enough to say, "What does recognizing gay marriages legally have to do with eliminating the rights of Christians?"

Just how big WAS the rock that fell on your head and scrambled your brains? Because if you are asking that question, you're either one of the most dishonest, fascistic pieces of crap to ever befoul this message board, or you are brain-damaged to the point of needing life support.

It's the same bullshit.

Example:

Some want to force others to serve them and do their bidding, including and especially when they are told to do something that they believe puts their soul in jeopardy.

THAT'S what this is about.

It's the same bullshit.

Example:

Some want to force others to serve them and do their bidding, including and especially when they are told to do something that they believe puts their soul in jeopardy.

THAT'S what this is about.
The bakers do not believe it would put their soul in jeopardy to bake a cake for a homo. That's total horseshit, and I have demonstrated the reasons why that is total horseshit several times in this topic.

And that's the real difference I am seeing, and why I believe we have no choice but to form two different countries.

Two quotes from Milton Friedman that I have in my signature:

"Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself."

"One of the greatest mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results."

Some on here do not believe that the free market will fix the problems identified. Ultimately, they do not believe in freedom.

This is the fundamental difference between libertarians and statists/progressives/communists. I don't think we can ever reach common ground. We are so far apart that I doubt we can live in the same country.

The Statists place full faith in government, pretending that the assholes who aspire to hold those offices are not ambitions and power hungry. But, every example throughout history proves that those who seek and obtain power will never stop taking power until they have it all and everyone else is at their disposal.

Government is force. That all it is. Force is the antithesis of liberty.

So, faith in government means that all problems must be solved by government. Solving those problems via government is solving problems via FORCE.

"This is the right way to treat people, so we're passing a law."

A translation: We are going to FORCE people to treat others the right way.

They demand FORCE but lack to foresight to see how such a demand will end in their demise. Before they know what happened, they end up having all their property confiscated and find themselves laboring to mine salt in Siberia.

Statists will never stop trying to FORCE others to behave the way the statists think they should.

How can we share a country when some demand FORCE at every turn?

We just.....need a divorce. That's it. I am nearly resigned to it.
:dunno:

There's a great book out there which could be said to be one of the finest pieces of literature ever written on the topic of intelligent choice between conflicting isms. A lifetime source-book, it is invaluable for home and office use, most importantly for everyone who seeks to offer others guidance about this basic subject, particularly all civic and public-opinion. The Founders’ writings are the basis of the book’s Twelve Principles - like them, never changing.

It's titled The American Ideal of 1776 The Twelve Basic American Principles, by Hamilton Abert Long. found here for purchase - https://www.amazon.com/American-ide...ords=The+American+Ideal+of+1776&tag=ff0d01-20

Anyway. I'm not often fond of copypasta, but for the purpose of expanding on your posting and in synergy with the tenor of thread itself, I want to offer Principle 1 of the The Twelve Basic American Principles contained in the work.

It is Principle 1 for good reason.

And mainly because it's going to be my last response in this useless circle-jerk of a thread. I think the more relevant and fundamental basis for any such discussion on the topic has been absent from the discussion from the start.

Anyway. Here we go....

A Principle of the Traditional American Philosophy

1. The Spiritual is Supreme

". . . all men are created . . . endowed by their Creator . .." (Declaration of Independence)

The Principle

1. The fundamental principle underlying the traditional
American philosophy is that the Spiritual is supreme--that Man
is of Divine origin and his spiritual, or religious, nature is of
supreme value and importance compared with things material.

Religious Nature

2. This governmental philosophy is, therefore, essentially
religious in nature. It is uniquely American; no other people in
all history have ever made this principle the basis of their
governmental philosophy. The spiritual brotherhood of men
under the common fatherhood of God is a concept which is
basic to this American philosophy. It expresses the spiritual
relationship of God to Man and, in the light thereof, of Man to
Man. To forget these truths is a most heinous offense against
the spirit of traditional America because the greatest sin is the
lost consciousness of sin.

The fundamentally religious basis of this philosophy is the
foundation of its moral code, which contemplates The
Individual's moral duty as being created by God's Law: the
Natural Law. The Individual's duty requires obedience to this
Higher Law; while knowledge of this duty comes from
conscience, which the religious-minded and morally-aware
Individual feels duty-bound to heed. This philosophy asserts
that there are moral absolutes: truths, such as those
mentioned above, which are binding upon all Individuals at all
times under all circumstances. This indicates some of the
spiritual and moral values which are inherent in its concept of
Individual Liberty-Responsibility.

An Indivisible Whole

3. The American philosophy, based upon this principle, is an
indivisible whole and must be accepted or rejected as such. It
cannot be treated piece-meal. Its fundamentals and its implicit
meanings and obligations must be accepted together with its
benefits.

The Individual's Self-respect

4. The concept of Man's spiritual nature, and the resulting
concept of the supreme dignity and value of each Individual,
provide the fundamental basis for each Individual's
self-respect and the consequent mutual respect among
Individual's. This self-respect as well as this mutual respect
are the outgrowth of, and evidenced by, The Individual's
maintenance of his God-given, unalienable rights. They are
maintained by requiring that government and other Individuals
respect them, as well as by his dedication to his own
unceasing growth toward realization of his highest potential--
spiritually, morally, intellectually, in every aspect of life. This is
in order that he may merit maximum respect by self and by
others.

Some Things Excluded

5. This concept of Man's spiritual nature excludes any idea of
intrusion by government into this Man-to-Man spiritual
relationship. It excludes the anti-moral precept that the end
justifies the means and the related idea that the means can be
separated from the end when judging them morally. This
concept therefore excludes necessarily any idea of attempting
to do good by force--for instance, through coercion of Man by
Government, whether or not claimed to be for his own good or
for the so-called common good or general welfare.

It excludes disbelief in--even doubt as to the existence
of--God as the Creator of Man: and therefore excludes all
ideas, theories and schools of thought--however ethical and
lofty in intentions--which reject affirmative and positive belief
in God as Man's Creator.

The Truly American Concept

6. Only those ideas, programs and practices, regarding things
governmental, which are consistent with the concept that "The
Spiritual is supreme" can justly be claimed to be truly
American traditionally. Anything and everything governmental,
which is in conflict with this concept, is non-American--judged
by traditional belief.

This applies particularly to that which is agnostic, or
atheistic--neutral about, or hostile to, positive and affirmative
belief in this concept based upon belief in God as Man's
Creator. There is not room for doubt, much less disbelief, in
this regard from the standpoint of the traditional American
philosophy. Its indivisible nature makes this inescapably true.
This pertains, of course, to the realm of ideas and not to any
person; it is the conflicting idea which is classified as
non-American, according to this philosophy.

America a Haven For All Religions

7. The traditional American philosophy teaches that belief in
God is the fundamental link which unites the adherents of all
religions in a spiritual brotherhood. This philosophy allows for
no differentiation between them in this unifying conviction: ". .
. all men are created . . . endowed by their Creator . . ." This
philosophy is all inclusive as to believers in God. Although
America was originally colonized predominantly by adherents
of the Christian religion, and principally by Protestants, the
Founding Fathers steadfastly conformed to this all-embracing
character of the approach of the American philosophy to
religion. This was expressly and affirmatively indicated in the
proclamation of 1776 of the fundamental American
philosophy, of its basic principles, in the Declaration of
Independence. This was further indicated, negatively, in
1787-1788 by the Framers and Ratifiers of the
Constitution--as a "blueprint" for the structure of the then
proposed Federal government, with strictly limited powers--by
not permitting it to possess any power with regard to religion.
This implied prohibition against the Federal government was
reinforced by the addition of the First Amendment expressly
prohibiting it, through the Congress, from making any law
"respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the
free exercise thereof . . ."--the words "an establishment of
religion" being intended to mean, specifically and only, a
church or religious organization which is established,
supported and preferred by the government, like the Church of
England establishments then existing in some of the States.

The Conclusion

8. Belief in Man's Divine origin is the foundation of the
fundamental American principle which controls his relationship
to government: that Man--The Individual--is of supreme
dignity and value because of his spiritual nature.

That's about it

Last edited:
So the bigoted bakers' argument they are being biblicaly compliant is utter horseshit.
Doesn't matter. We shouldn't pass laws forcing people to not be bigots.

You really can't. And these laws don't even try. The laws only prohibit businesses from citing bias based on protected classes as the reason for their discrimination. If they just make up a lame excuse, or avoid offering a reason at all, they're good to go. The laws prohibit discriminating as a public statement. That's the point. They don't protect victims from harm; in most of these cases there is no actual harm. Their purpose is to thwart certain biases in society (not all of them, of course, just those currently on the list).

Forum List

Back