CDZ If cops must wear cameras for their behavior, should teachers also have cameras in the classroom?

This article brought this idea up.....

I think you either make teachers wear a camera that broadcasts live each day or put one in their classroom that parents can punch up on their computers and phones......

As they tell the cops...this will keep teachers safe, and make the students behave better......

I think the cops body-cams are placed in the wrong location on their bodies. The actual confrontation with criminals is often difficult if not outright impossible to get an accurate read on the situation because of the officers arms being out in front of the cameras. A special forces or SWAT helmet with the helmet on it would give a better visual reference as to the actions.
As for teachers, I don't think it would work for the simple reason that "all" parents would have to be onboard with their minor children being monitored via cameras in schools and you would almost certainly not get 100% agreement on that.

There are cameras all over most schools. To put cameras in every classroom would mean getting a waiver agreeing to be filmed by every student's family. A great many would not agree. A great many.

You'd make a lot of lawyers rich though.

The family of any of my students (or anyone else in the community) is more than welcome in my classroom any time. Unannounced. Most teachers I know feel the same. It's a public school after all. During parent-teacher conferences I show the students families my curriculum for the year and go over each part in as much detail as they like. I translate my curricula into several different languages to accommodate different families. No secrets, no 'brainwashing,' no outrage.

View attachment 501962

Unless it's a private school it's public property. Therefore wearing a camera in a public school shouldn't make any more difference than being outside in a public area. Unless you're now saying that all the police officers shouldn't be wearing cameras until they get waivers from any bystander that happens to be in the range of their cameras.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

I am not a lawyer or a legislator, all I can tell you is that you have to get written signed permission before taking a picture or filming students doing anything. I think there are very good reasons for this. The students privacy must be protected. Rest assured, teachers are observed watched and scrutinized six ways to Sunday. As I have said now for the third time, anybody in the community and most certainly any family of my students is welcome in my classroom at any time no need for a reservation. Funny how those who scream and obsess over teachers the most here, never bother to just go down the street to one of their local public schools and see what’s really happening for themselves. If there is crazy shit going on, it should be brought to light and will almost certainly thereby be corrected. Much much more likely, they will find that schools are exactly what they purport to be students are there trying to learn teachers are there trying to help them and that’s all. No brainwashing no indoctrination. If that crazy shit goes on somewhere, I applaud parents who take matters into their own hands and address the school board to correct the situation. This is how it should be. But to sit here pontificating based on nothing but the hysteria of media, (media in every other instance not trusted nearly so completely) without bothering to actually find out what’s happening in your own back yard is irrational.

I think you either make teachers wear a camera that broadcasts live each day or put one in their classroom that parents can punch up on their computers and phones......

As they tell the cops...this will keep teachers safe, and make the students behave better......

A good idea....

I think the cops body-cams are placed in the wrong location on their bodies. The actual confrontation with criminals is often difficult if not outright impossible to get an accurate read on the situation because of the officers arms being out in front of the cameras. A special forces or SWAT helmet with the helmet on it would give a better visual reference as to the actions.
As for teachers, I don't think it would work for the simple reason that "all" parents would have to be onboard with their minor children being monitored via cameras in schools and you would almost certainly not get 100% agreement on that.

I think a good invention for cops would be a squad car, roof top camera that follows the officers as soon as they step out of the car.......that would cover some of the dead space....

There are cameras all over most schools. To put cameras in every classroom would mean getting a waiver agreeing to be filmed by every student's family. A great many would not agree. A great many.

The family of any of my students (or anyone else in the community) is more than welcome in my classroom any time. Unannounced. Most teachers I know feel the same. It's a public school after all. During parent-teacher conferences I show the students families my curriculum for the year and go over each part in as much detail as they like. I translate my curricula into several different languages to accommodate different families. No secrets, no 'brainwashing,' no outrage.

View attachment 501962

Unless it's a private school it's public property. Therefore wearing a camera in a public school shouldn't make any more difference than being outside in a public area. Unless you're now saying that all the police officers shouldn't be wearing cameras until they get waivers from any bystander that happens to be in the range of their cameras.

*****CHUCKLE*****

I am not a lawyer or a legislator, all I can tell you is that you have to get written signed permission before taking a picture or filming students doing anything. I think there are very good reasons for this. The students privacy must be protected. Rest assured, teachers are observed watched and scrutinized six ways to Sunday. As I have said now for the third time, anybody in the community and most certainly any family of my students is welcome in my classroom at any time no need for a reservation. Funny how those who scream and obsess over teachers the most here, never bother to just go down the street to one of their local public schools and see what’s really happening for themselves. If there is crazy shit going on, it should be brought to light and will almost certainly thereby be corrected. Much much more likely, they will find that schools are exactly what they purport to be students are there trying to learn teachers are there trying to help them and that’s all. No brainwashing no indoctrination. If that crazy shit goes on somewhere, I applaud parents who take matters into their own hands and address the school board to correct the situation. This is how it should be. But to sit here pontificating based on nothing but the hysteria of media, (media in every other instance not trusted nearly so completely) without bothering to actually find out what’s happening in your own back yard is irrational.

1623867654945.png

Did you think perhaps the police force feels the same way about the scrutiny that is given them?

Why should teachers or any other public employee be given any more special consideration, freedom from scrutiny, than the police?

*****SMILE*****

View attachment 501962

*****CHUCKLE*****

View attachment 502132

Did you think perhaps the police force feels the same way about the scrutiny that is given them?

Why should teachers or any other public employee be given any more special consideration, freedom from scrutiny, than the police?

*****SMILE*****

Did you even read my post before responding? I said nothing about special consideration or freedom from scrutiny. Quite the contrary. It will really help you out if you read first and then comment.

View attachment 501962

*****CHUCKLE*****

View attachment 502132

*****SMILE*****

Did you even read my post before responding? I said nothing about special consideration or freedom from scrutiny. Quite the contrary. It will really help you out if you read first and then comment.

I would be happy if nothing more is recorded and broadcast than what the teacher is saying. If you put a microphone on the teacher it can be adjusted to only record the teacher's voice. Many phones in fact offer noise cancellation features that only pick up the voice of the caller and cancels background voices and noise, so it is pretty easy to do.

View attachment 501962

*****CHUCKLE*****

View attachment 502132

*****SMILE*****

I would be happy if nothing more is recorded and broadcast than what the teacher is saying. If you put a microphone on the teacher it can be adjusted to only record the teacher's voice. Many phones in fact offer noise cancellation features that only pick up the voice of the caller and cancels background voices and noise, so it is pretty easy to do.

Do you see how hard you are trying now to convolute the whole thing? Look, I don’t care if you give me a colonoscopy in the middle of class and broadcast it on network news. This scheme is very unlikely to ever come to pass, so yet again we are here wasting time with crackpot ideas instead of practical proposals to make things better.

View attachment 501962

*****CHUCKLE*****

View attachment 502132

*****SMILE*****

Do you see how hard you are trying now to convolute the whole thing? Look, I don’t care if you give me a colonoscopy in the middle of class and broadcast it on network news. This scheme is very unlikely to ever come to pass, so yet again we are here wasting time with crackpot ideas instead of practical proposals to make things better.

Your first argument was that students couldn't be filmed and now you argue against only recording the teacher's voice. Too fking funny.

If you want a better system we should implement a "flipped classroom" methodology that changes the role of a teacher from "sage on a stage" to "guide on the side". Teachers don't like "flipped classrooms" because it's means more work and if done properly it reduces the opinion of the teacher to little more than just another opinion.

The approach is not new as it has been practiced for more than thirty years in higher ed in countries like the UK. There it is called active learning or applied learning. There are claims in the US that "flipped classroom" is a new methodology but it's not:

every single public office should be wired for video and sound

Complete transparency.

Absolutely!

We are now living in a country with a growing population of very bad people who are completely out of control.

We need cameras and sound everywhere.

And we need drones flying around in the sky taking videos of everyone and everything.

Personally, I would like the drones to have the ability to disable preps.

For example, if it sees a young gentleman beating up an elderly Asian person, the drone could immediately disable the perp by spraying him with something. Or maybe the drone could somehow tie up the perp with rope until the cops arrive.

I hope the day comes when robot cops are stationed on every street corner.

Life is getting better when it comes to technology.

Life is getting worse when it comes to the quality of the human beings being born.

So in order to reduce the influence of opinionated teachers there are only two choices:
  1. Teachers voices are recorded and pontificating clowns are fired,
  2. Change the teaching methodology to focus on the students ability to analyze and propose solutions - critical thinking skills.

If you want a better system we should implement a "flipped classroom" methodology that changes the role of a teacher from "sage on a stage" to "guide on the side". Teachers don't like "flipped classrooms" because it's means more work and if done properly it reduces the opinion of the teacher to little more than just another opinion.

Now you're wandering into pedagogy. All that sort of thing has been tried in varying forms over the decades. About 20 years ago there was lots of such happy hippy horseshit. The students who succeeded then were the same ones that were succeeding before and would succeed after.

Stay in your lane.

Complete transparency.

Absolutely!

We are now living in a country with a growing population of very bad people who are completely out of control.

And we need drones flying around in the sky taking videos of everyone and everything.

For example, if it sees a young gentleman beating up an elderly Asian person, the drone could immediately disable the perp by spraying him with something. Or maybe the drone could somehow tie up the perp with rope until the cops arrive.

Life is getting worse when it comes to the quality of the human beings being born.
Go take a nap, Orwell.

So in order to reduce the influence of opinionated teachers there are only two choices:
  1. Teachers voices are recorded and pontificating clowns are fired,
  2. Change the teaching methodology to focus on the students ability to analyze and propose solutions - critical thinking skills.
Not only are those NOT the "only two choices," those two choices are ill-informed and impractical.

Now you're wandering into pedagogy. All that sort of thing has been tried in varying forms over the decades. About 20 years ago there was lots of such happy hippy horseshit. The students who succeeded then were the same ones that were succeeding before and would succeed after.

Stay in your lane.

Your ignorance is showing.

I was in higher education for some twenty years and not wiping the spit off of the chin of kindergartners like you seem to be doing. During those twenty years we used an "active learning" methodology and the results were clearly to the benefit of students. "Flipped classroom" is an approach used for primary and secondary education that in many ways is similar to "active learning" in higher ed. The methodology works well if implemented correctly.

I did ... :thup:

Stay in your lane.

Your ignorance is showing.

I was in higher education for some twenty years and not wiping the spit off of the chin of kindergartners like you seem to be doing. During those twenty years we used an "active learning" methodology and the results were clearly to the benefit of students. "Flipped classroom" is an approach used for primary and secondary education that in many ways is similar to "active learning" in higher ed. The methodology works well if implemented correctly.

:lol:

You sound like an over-the-hill hippy.

I do not teach kindergarten, but I note your hope that I would be. Adult students are much more likely to cooperate in whatever the 'methodology du jure' might be, but adult learners and high school students are significantly dissimilar. There is always some yahoo with a book or a program to sell, but searching for 'the key' to 'solving' education is a fool's errand. It takes work and time and effort and perseverance, understanding, communication, patience, and respect, etc. No magic pill.

Complete transparency.

Absolutely!

Why not have all of our public officials on camera ?

That's not the same as your scenario

View attachment 501962

*****CHUCKLE*****

View attachment 502132

*****SMILE*****

1623875968342.png

Then you, and the parents, should have no problem with your wearing a body camera.

Just think of the information that could be obtained if there's reports of bullying, teacher abuse, student abuse, no hidden agendas, sexual misconduct by a teacher, or if a school shooting happens.

If you as a teacher are doing nothing wrong then there's nothing to worry about.

*****SMILE*****

Last edited:

Forum List

Back