If Ebola is so contagious why

Do you understand anything at all about Ebola? People aren't flocking to their apartment

Ebola Scare Turns Dallas Hospital Into a Ghost Town - ABC News

With all love and admiration my friend, are you trying to say that mass hysteria is evidence?

Trying to say that people tend to run FROM a level IV Slate Cleaner. Moreover, Obama is either a total incompetent or a bioterrorist.

What would his response have been if a TeaParty guy had a vial of Ebola in Dallas? Hmm? Same? Hmmm?

stop misrepresenting what people are saying. then think. what is the death toll from the flu every year? do we shut down airlines because of the flu? you hear the word ebola and it's scary. and you are allowing hysteria on the part of those least knowledgeable, to create mass hysteria.

it's absurd.
200,000 people a year are hospitalized with influenza and 36,000 will die.

Irrelevant to Ebola and this thread. Two years ago in Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Ghana, you were more likely to die if malaria than Ebola. Those are worthless statistics.
You are still more likely to die from malaria. Since the Ebola outbreak began in February, around 300,000 people have died from malaria, while tuberculosis has likely claimed over 600,000 lives. Ebola might have our attention, but it’s not even close to being the biggest problem in Africa right now.

Why I'm not worried in the short term, but am worried about the medium to long term.

- It appears to me that Ebola is deadly mostly to people who already have compromised immune systems (poor people with inadequate hygiene). (Side note: HIV/Aids is similar in that those most at risk already have damaged immune systems.) The survivors in the U.S. have had plenty of clean hydration and were relatively healthy to begin with. As long as Ebola doesn't mutate into a true airborne virus, the risk to most people will remain very small.

- Despite the above, I'm very worried that our Incompetent and Arrogant Government will make things far, far worse than they would have been if we'd banned flights from the Ebola areas, if the CDC has stayed true to its actual mission, if the FDA weren't functioning as an innovation prevention center, and if we had invested in the regional centers to fight Ebola in the areas of origin.

- Viruses do mutate, and the less we contain Ebola now, the more opportunities it will have to mutate. A Pandemic is not out of the realm of possibilities.
Duncan's flight came from Belgium.

Stop with the panic, it's ridiculous.

We're still not sure what the animal carrier is in Africa, maybe bats. What would happen if rats carried it in the USA?
Republicans are infected to that degree?

Glad to see you're able to make light of it. You have to be a special kind of fucking stupid for that

The reason sane people handled Ebola in Level IV facilities was both for prevention from getting the infection AND from keeping the virus from finding a suitable host outside of the lab.

We're still not sure what the animal carrier is in Africa, maybe bats. What would happen if rats carried it in the USA?

Glad to see you're able to make light of it. You have to be a special kind of fucking stupid for that

The reason sane people handled Ebola in Level IV facilities was both for prevention from getting the infection AND from keeping the virus from finding a suitable host outside of the lab.
Glad to see you admit that other than the Dallas hospital, we are doing a good job.

:thup:

Glad to see you admit that other than the Dallas hospital, we are doing a good job.

Why do we even have a Department of Homeland Security and a TSA?

I can't get on the plane with a screwdriver but someone infected with a Level IV pathogen is free to board a plane and roam around Dallas

5d3285af-67ec-4ec7-82ac-c2de38f6a156_500.jpg

Why I'm not worried in the short term, but am worried about the medium to long term.

- It appears to me that Ebola is deadly mostly to people who already have compromised immune systems (poor people with inadequate hygiene). (Side note: HIV/Aids is similar in that those most at risk already have damaged immune systems.) The survivors in the U.S. have had plenty of clean hydration and were relatively healthy to begin with. As long as Ebola doesn't mutate into a true airborne virus, the risk to most people will remain very small.

- Despite the above, I'm very worried that our Incompetent and Arrogant Government will make things far, far worse than they would have been if we'd banned flights from the Ebola areas, if the CDC has stayed true to its actual mission, if the FDA weren't functioning as an innovation prevention center, and if we had invested in the regional centers to fight Ebola in the areas of origin.

- Viruses do mutate, and the less we contain Ebola now, the more opportunities it will have to mutate. A Pandemic is not out of the realm of possibilities.

He came from Liberia and had a visa that originated in that country.

I can't get on the plane with a screwdriver but someone infected with a Level IV pathogen is free to board a plane and roam around Dallas
If you want to spend a bazillion dollars on something that isn't very contagious and hasn't killed any Americans lobby to raise taxes and do it! I started a thread about it. We could put medical hazmat teams in every hospital, clinic, and airport and build specially equipped isolation units. No one seemed interested. :(

Yet his flight didn't originate in West Africa.

You're smarter than that. The ban would apply to travelers who originate from Ebola countries.

You're smarter than that. The ban would apply to travelers who originate from Ebola countries.
Like the US?

And how about Nigeria?

If you want to spend a bazillion dollars on something that isn't very contagious and hasn't killed any Americans lobby to raise taxes and do it! I started a thread about it. We could put medical hazmat teams in every hospital, clinic, and airport and build specially equipped isolation units. No one seemed interested. :(

OMFG!!! We already have 19 beds capable of handling a level IV patient. Why play Russian Roulette by allowing anyone else to handle an infected patient?

Like the US?

And how about Nigeria?

The U.S. is not an Ebola country - and Nigeria has successfully thwarted its outbreak because it did control its borders.

Here's an interesting piece from CBS News this morning. It's an interview with an American Doctor fighting the disease in Africa. Click Watch It Now

However, it should give you pause when you get morons who continuously say the common flu is a bigger concern than Ebola. They, are giving you agreements.
Has it occurred to you that predfan is just in agreement with folks thinking more rationally than you unhinged rightwingers?

Forget Ebola, you're far more at risk for this

With the annual flu season looming, hospitals and doctors are preparing themselves for emergency rooms that may become flooded with patients who fear Ebola but instead have influenza, which can cause similar symptoms in the early stages such as fever and body aches.

But fear often trumps common sense, even though people should be far more worried about the flu given the toll it is known to take every year, doctors said.​

Here's an interesting piece from CBS News this morning. It's an interview with an American Doctor fighting the disease in Africa. Click Watch It Now

Your link isn't working.

you have to click the "watch now" link (you even quoted that instruction :p ) Do you have pop-ups disabled? Regardless, I don't think that matters as it redirects from this page to that page.

Forum List

Back