If God is all-knowing, all-powerful, and just, then why do ignorant kids suffer?

But my understanding is that Jesus was not the same as any other human before or since. He was the son of god (or actually was god, I'm never sure how that works honestly) and had knowledge, wisdom and power that others do not have. So it would seem to me that god was not as we are and certainly that we cannot become gods.

This is really a silly discussion probably based on my lack of understanding of your beliefs more than anything, and I'm happy to let it go rather than use up more space in the thread if you are. Just call it my ignorance and we can go back to the many other pointless arguments going on. :lol:

Montrovant,it is very easy to understand once you read the bible in context.

That is why there are so many different religions because the bible is not read in it's entirety near enough by so called churches representing the truth. How can they know the truth if they do not consider all of the scriptures not just a certain few.
Which bible exactly? There are over 3,000 different versions of the bible.

No there is not, now if you you are talking manuscripts , particles and revisions you could be right.

I personally have 12 different versions and three Jewish versions , many interlinear's ,and concordances . I have no problem getting the same exact message from every version because i pray alot and let the scriptures speak to me and not try to interpret. I read the bible in context that is the only way to the truth.

Last edited:

Talk about exageration.
The Adventure of the English Bible - Teesocs

Since William Tyndale’s first complete New Testament in 1526 to the year 2000, there have been 3,000 new translations of the Bible into English.

That is not accurate,there may have been revisions in that number but not 3,000 different foundations that have their own bible.

Besides even if it was so,so what because the meanings are not changing, it's because of Languages or a better way of saying the same thing more clearly.

The bible is now published in every known language to man ,now that's got to say something for it.

Last edited:
But my understanding is that Jesus was not the same as any other human before or since. He was the son of god (or actually was god, I'm never sure how that works honestly) and had knowledge, wisdom and power that others do not have. So it would seem to me that god was not as we are and certainly that we cannot become gods.

This is really a silly discussion probably based on my lack of understanding of your beliefs more than anything, and I'm happy to let it go rather than use up more space in the thread if you are. Just call it my ignorance and we can go back to the many other pointless arguments going on. :lol:

That is why there are so many different religions because the bible is not read in it's entirety near enough by so called churches representing the truth. How can they know the truth if they do not consider all of the scriptures not just a certain few.

There are so many different religions because people read the scriptures without the Holy Spirit. And because of Pride.

Who is to say who has the Holy Spirit and who does not have it? There are many different religions (and different sects and denominations within religions) because people have different religious beliefs. They have different translations of holy books and they have different interpretations of those books.

Look at the many different Christian denominations alone:

List of Christian denominations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh, pray tell us. Which ones are right and which ones are wrong?

Last edited:

No there is not, now if you you are talking manuscripts , particles and revisions you could be right.

I personally have 12 different versions and three Jewish versions , many interlinear's ,and concordances . I have no problem getting the same exact message from every version because i pray alot and let the scriptures speak to me and not try to interpret. I read the bible in context that is the only way to the truth.

I count over 40:

Bible Version Chart

I ask how there can be suffering on Earth if there is an all-powerful, all-knowing, and just God. I am told that there is free will and that people must choose to believe in Jesus. If that is the case, then what becomes of children who suffer and die without having been given information about Jesus? More importantly, why would such a God allow innocent children to suffer in agony and pain such as this kid did?

Such a child does not have free will in the practical sense. He probably did not even get a chance to learn about Jesus. Luckily he survived.

nilgunyalcin_childvulture.jpg

What if a person's free will tells them to become a Taoist, Buddhist, Hindu or follow the Judaic theology?

Free will means that you as a Christian get to choose to sin or not, you have free will to do so, and, if you are repentant about your actions and don't do them anymore, then you merit forgiveness.

But........think about this for a second.........people's basic nature is to be kind to your fellow man. Don't believe? Look at the flooding and the tornados in the Midwest. People of those communities are banding together to help one another.

Free will is what allows you to ascend to your higher nature, because you aren't running on instinct and hunger, you can choose to share a small meal with another person who looks hungry.

As far as the "bad" things happening? Well........to tell the truth, there's a Bible reference for that in the verse where it talks about hiding your light (higher nature) under a bushel basket. If you have shellacked your soul with stuff like greed, jealousy and all that stuff, God CAN'T contact you to remind you of your higher nature, because by that time, you either (a) pay lip service to your religion, or (b) choose to not believe in God.

It's only when people become self centered with a me first attitude that can't hear God, because they're too busy listening to themselves.

There are so many different religions because people read the scriptures without the Holy Spirit. And because of Pride.

Who is to say who has the Holy Spirit and who does not have it? There are many different religions (and different sects and denominations within religions) because people have different religious beliefs. They have different translations of holy books and they have different interpretations of those books.

Everyone who is born again and asks will have the Holy Spirit.

There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again John 3:1-7.

Luke 11:11 "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Luke 12:9 But he who disowns me before men will be disowned before the angels of God. 10And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. 11"When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, 12for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say."

If you're in a religion that claims they have the truth run for your lives.

Religions are a creation of man not God.

Did Abraham need an organized religion to have a relationbship with God ?

Did moses even declare one true religion ?

What did God think of the Jewish religion judaism ?

God made it simple for us.

Luk 10:27 And answering, he said, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.

Joh 6:54 Whoever partakes of My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

Joh 3:15 so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Joh 3:36 He who believes on the Son has everlasting life, and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides upon him.

Joh 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, He who hears My Word and believes on Him who sent Me has everlasting life and shall not come into condemnation, but has passed from death to life.

I don't see anything about a specific religion .

I ask how there can be suffering on Earth if there is an all-powerful, all-knowing, and just God. I am told that there is free will and that people must choose to believe in Jesus. If that is the case, then what becomes of children who suffer and die without having been given information about Jesus? More importantly, why would such a God allow innocent children to suffer in agony and pain such as this kid did?

Such a child does not have free will in the practical sense. He probably did not even get a chance to learn about Jesus. Luckily he survived.

What if a person's free will tells them to become a Taoist, Buddhist, Hindu or follow the Judaic theology?

Free will means that you as a Christian get to choose to sin or not, you have free will to do so, and, if you are repentant about your actions and don't do them anymore, then you merit forgiveness.

But........think about this for a second.........people's basic nature is to be kind to your fellow man. Don't believe? Look at the flooding and the tornados in the Midwest. People of those communities are banding together to help one another.

Free will is what allows you to ascend to your higher nature, because you aren't running on instinct and hunger, you can choose to share a small meal with another person who looks hungry.

As far as the "bad" things happening? Well........to tell the truth, there's a Bible reference for that in the verse where it talks about hiding your light (higher nature) under a bushel basket. If you have shellacked your soul with stuff like greed, jealousy and all that stuff, God CAN'T contact you to remind you of your higher nature, because by that time, you either (a) pay lip service to your religion, or (b) choose to not believe in God.

It's only when people become self centered with a me first attitude that can't hear God, because they're too busy listening to themselves.

Pride is a bad thing. :up:

It says who has the holy spirit in the bible.

A Christian is a follower of Christ, as stated here- Christian | Define Christian at Dictionary.com

It depends on the moment!

When preaching from the pulpit in their churches, Protestants say that Catholics and Mormons are not real Christians, but when the same protestant preachers want to claim America is a Christian country, Catholics and Mormons are suddenly Christian.

Pride is a bad thing. :up:

Anything can be used for good or abused for bad, depending if it is in balance or proper perspective.

It's okay for a student or worker to "take pride" in diligence and doing the right thing or serving others in a good way.

If you can't admit mistakes, or you hide or deny problems because of pride, that becomes self-defeating of what you are trying to achieve.

I know you mean to refer to the negative type of pride.
But there is a good kind of pride that is more like being thankful for something.

I think that kind of pride is okay and can be very helpful to have in difficult situations.

Talk about exageration.
The Adventure of the English Bible - Teesocs

Since William Tyndale’s first complete New Testament in 1526 to the year 2000, there have been 3,000 new translations of the Bible into English.

Dear Ed and Avatar: May I ask why diversity in interpretation is necessarily a bad thing to discredit anything? I think it makes sense that if God has an individual relationship with each soul, there would be as many different ways to talk and focus on connections or attributes of God (not all are like the Christian personalized God) as there are people on this planet!

Isn't more amazing that there are any people at all that agree enough to form a group?
because technically, we are each unique, no two people alike who have exactly the same experiences or perceptions of the world. Wouldn't all our views be as different as we are?

So why is this so negative?
The fact that Christians can agree on the basics, but then diverge into all these other directions with it, that is even more amazing to me there is agreement AT ALL.

I also see the gentile/secular branch (including atheists, nontheists, Buddhist, secular humanists, scientists and psychology, natural laws and political views) as branching off in all directions as part of the same family. We are part of humanity, all under natural laws that govern human thought and behavior in relations and as a collective society.

It makes sense to me that to organize the diversity of thought and experience, that people would be grouped by culture or affiliation, and this is tool for having civilized society.

We couldn't all fit under just one set of laws, because we are all so different.
But it makes sense to me that branching out into groups we do identify with, then all people can be accommodated. You can't accommodate as much with a tree that only had one trunk that never branched out! But because the tree of life branches and branches into more and more directions, then the tree can hold a lot more than one unified trunk!

So what is wrong with that?
Isn't that natural for people to branch off and organize by views and interests,
and localize their churches so they don't get too big and bureaucratic, but
there is always as direct representation as possible? Don't we also see this in state structures, where people form groups, break free from the parent country and form more localized democracies where they represent their own interests which are different from the bigger group? Isn't this a natural progression to branch off into smaller groups?

I don't see a problem with this.
We just need to learn to get along with the different groups, but the
branching off is not a bad thing in itself. it seems to happen naturally
as humanity progresses and develops socially. So what?

Dear ABikerSailor: You remind me of something I read in the Freemasonry principles against "sectarianism." The goals was to respect religious freedom of all people to follow their own faith in their way, but never to the extent of getting into "sectarianism"
where someone starts to preach that their way is the only way and the others are wrong.

So whatever this "sectarianism" is, that is what makes the difference between Christians, atheists, or whoever might be arguing that their way is right and another is wrong or deficient somehow.

The people I find who are most enlightened with wisdom and insights tend to be open to all people of all views, and do not have issues like this. This is true of Christians who see a way to keep their beliefs while including others not judging or excluding them, of atheists who can work with people of all faiths without issue, etc. The issues tend to come up the minute someone interjects the sectarian attitude and starts people on the defensive.

As a Christian believer, I do find that for Jesus to be the Messiah for all humanity, then all paths must be included in the plan for salvation for humanity. It makes no sense to me that God would create people in diversity of culture, thought, religion; even specify in the Bible the gentiles would be a law unto themselves who do the things contained in the law by conscience; but then this same God would condemn people for not following Jesus the same way? Of course, no one is going to see Jesus the same way if no one sees God the same way! We are unique by design. But this does not mean there isn't one Jesus and one God who fulfills all these individual paths. In truth you can have both relative expression/perception and still have one absolute universal truth encompassing all of us.

So I have no problem with either Christians saying Jesus is the only way, or also that there is universal salvation for all people even nontheists who don't see Life the same way as others who understand relations with God through Christ in a personal or personified way.

The poitn is to agree in spirit, in the spirit of truth and love, wisdom compassion, charity. These hve different names but they all come from the same God through Christ, whatever you call that connection people have with each other and the world by our nature, which the same God creates. We ar diverse for a purpose, and just learn by experience how to harmonize and realize the one truth that explains it all, whether we can ever grasp all that.
We figure out what we can and take the rest on faith. And yes, I do believe it takes the divine forgiveness/grace that Jesus' sacrifice represents in order to achieve that end.
Even secular studies on forgiveness show the impact this has on people's lives and health.
So that is the same grace no matter how you call it, it affects us the same by our nature.

I hope the things that make us take sides can be forgiven and resolved.
It seems to me that only where we fail to forgive, then this sectarianism divides us.
If we can forgive that, we can break the cycles of the past and move forward from here.

Thank you for sharing and may everyone here be blessed with better understanding of each other for all the trouble we go through to discuss these differences we have.
That is really a blessing to be able to share, so thank you for that!

Why don't you just go to the Source......you know, ask God, Himself? See what He has to say about it! DUH!~

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. ........... Hemingway

It would seem according to Hemingway God could just be an equal opportunity Asshole!~

And then there is always THIS: Tibetan Sky Burial

(If I don't show back up tomorrow, you will know that God saw to it that my heart/lung illness killed me in my sleep.)

Last edited:
Hosea 13: 16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Psalms 137: 9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

I see you are taking scripture out of context again. ;)

Two words, free will.

NO, not free will, of which is not taught in the Bible.

We live in the world but there are those who are not of the world. The world is a place of sin and hardship. Those of the Lord are not part of the world, but are still IN the world, thus still prone to the hardships. They are only forgiven for the sin.

Hosea 13: 16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Psalms 137: 9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

I see you are taking scripture out of context again. ;)
It's piss easy to say "out of context" when you don't give the correct context! ;)

Let's assume for argument's sake that God does indeed exist.

Now if you've read the Bible you'll know that he gave Satan rule of the Earth.

Why would he do that? What is the purpose of that?

I've always been taught that the reason is we cannot exercise free-will if we aren't tested. If the moment we get into trouble he rushes in like an overprotective parent to save our behinds what will we learn, how will be be tested? What kind of choices would we have when our parents don't let us screw up? Satan is here on Earth to trick us, and it is up to us to deal with him.

Last edited:
For those souls that cannot make it into Paradise there is a world that is basically a preparatory level. There those who were not given a chance to become educated. They can choose then where they want to go. Some call this purgatory or the prison world.

However, Jesus said that children are a special case. They cannot be evil. They usually go straight to Paradise, which is a half-way level before going on to Heaven.

Last edited:
I will retract some pissy attitude and post this. Its the best answer I have seen, and it still leaves more questions for some. Here it is if you want to read it.

This is one of the most difficult questions for Christians to answer.

The “problem of pain,” as the well-known Christian scholar, C.S. Lewis, once called it, is atheism's most potent weapon against the Christian faith.

That is, they say, how can a God of love permit such things in His world as war, sickness, pain, and death, especially when their effects often are felt most keenly by those who are apparently innocent? Either He is not a God of love and is indifferent to human suffering, or else He is not a God of power and is therefore helpless to do anything about it. In either case, the Biblical God who is supposedly one of both absolute power and perfect love becomes an impossible anachronism. Or so they claim!

This is a real difficulty, but atheism is certainly not the answer, and neither is agnosticism. While there is much evil in the world, there is even more that is good. This is proved by the mere fact that people normally try to hang on to life as long as they can. Furthermore, everyone instinctively recognizes that “good” is a higher order of truth than “bad”.

We need also to recognize that our very minds were created by God. We can only use these minds to the extent that He allows, and it is, therefore, utterly presumptuous for us to use them to question Him and His motives.

“S

We ourselves do not establish the standards of what is right. Only the Creator of all reality can do that. We need to settle it, in our minds and hearts, whether we understand it or not, that whatever God does is, by definition, right.

Having settled this by faith, we are then free to seek for ways in which we can profit spiritually from the sufferings in life as well as the blessings. As we consider such matters, it is helpful to keep the following great truths continually in our minds.
There is really no such thing as the “innocent” suffering.

Since “all have sinned and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23), there is no one who has the right to freedom from God's wrath on the basis of his own innocence.

As far as babies are concerned, and others who may be incompetent mentally to distinguish right and wrong, it is clear from both Scripture and universal experience that they are sinners by nature and thus will inevitably become sinners by choice as soon as they are able to do so.

Jesus on the cross. Click here to read about Jesus. (Illustration copyrighted)
Learn about how much Jesus Christ suffered

The Lord Jesus Christ, who was the only truly “innocent” and “righteous” man in all history, nevertheless has suffered more than anyone else who ever lived.

And this He did for us! “Christ died for our sins” (I Corinthians 15:3). He suffered and died, in order that ultimately He might deliver the world from the Curse, and that, even now, He can deliver from sin and its bondage anyone who will receive Him in faith as personal Lord and Savior. This great deliverance from the penalty of inherent sin, as well as of overt sins, very possibly also assures the salvation of those who have died before reaching an age of conscious choice of wrong over right.

With our full faith in God's goodness and in Christ's redemption, we can recognize that our present sufferings can be turned to His glory and our good.

The sufferings of unsaved men are often used by the Holy Spirit to cause them to realize their needs of salvation and to turn to Christ in repentance and faith. The sufferings of Christians should always be the means of developing a stronger dependence on God and a more Christ-like character, if they are properly “exercised thereby” (Hebrews 12:11).

Thus, God is loving and merciful even when, “for the present,” He allows trials and sufferings to come in our lives.

“For we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28).

Hope it helps.
i cut out most of that mumbo jumbo for the sake of space .

firstly once again we have the problem of you believing chriatianity is the ONLY TRUTH ,
that would be okay if the only* holy book *in the world was the bible and it was proven to be authentic world of g-d .
you talk about pain and god in the chriatian sence not in the sence of all of the citizens of the world many believing in something other than chriatianity

the problem of Pain is the best atheist weapon against religion as a WHOLE not just the christian one we are not PICKING on you .

atheism is the believe that there is no g-d christian or otherwise your words from your bible mean nothing to me

you say we as humans do not establish what is right only the creator can do that .

then stop JUDGING others peoples personal lives as if YOU KNOW WHAT IS RIGHT that seems to be what a lot of christians do instead as doing what your *book says about love thy nieghbor .

You are a liar and a coward. You are not looking for answers, you are rep whoring. I as a Christian find it acceptable. I posted an answer that I as a Christian can accept, I as a Christian have never tried to force my beliefs on any one. If they want it, they will have it. You have NO idea whet the good book says. None. You and most who start thees threads are nothing more then pseudo intellectuals, who Google up The blue letter bible or E-Sword, yank out a verse and put it over a sad picture and lament how there is not really a God to ease the suffering of this small child. You do this because you are not really an intellectual and are insecure in your beliefs (or lack there of) So you post up this crap so all those who are as insecure as you will Pos. Rep. you and blow smoke up your ass's. You provided nothing to the contrary other then whining, as do those who usuley have issues with other peoples faith. You are jealous.
now now your getting testy cus the truth hurts
YOU have no idea whether i read have read or understand the bible .
many religions / folks read it differantly/translate otherwise there wouldnt be so many variations of the christian faith
YOU dont know anything about me except what i post here
dont make assumption i cant blow smoke up you ass cus its filled with your head .

Last edited:

Forum List

Back