🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

If polyamory is next, then polygamy isn't far behind

Same sex marriage wasn't legally recognized until recently. It wasn't 'illegal' as it violated no law. It was merely legally void, being unrecognized by the law.

Bigamy is illegal. And there's been no successful challenge against it. Nor is there any recognized right to bigamy.

But if 3 or 4 people love each other, who are we to judge?

The same way the law judges bigamy.

I'm using the same logic SSM supported used, but for some reason you reject it. Why?

When did the supporters of SSM claim that bigamy was legal?

They didn't but the same touchy feely "love is love" logic used to support SSM also supports allowing plural marriage.

I've read the Obergefell decision. I didn't note any 'love is love' logic used in it.

Having a feminine side does not make a man into a woman. That's ridiculous.

If gay parents do no harm to children, then there is no reason to rhink that multiple parents would harm children.

I don't see that multiple parents would necessarily harm children. Parents who divorce and remarry do that all the time. I have seen no movement to prevent divorced parents from remarrying.
They should not have to remarry. Bring in other husbands and wives. That's what polygamy is all about.

Polygamy is about bringing in other men and women to salvage a failed marriage? Where the hell did you get that definition?
Polygamy is about men and women deciding what relationships they have and how they choose to live their lives. Who are you to say they are wrong?

This entire topic is about a couple in a failed relationship bringing in other parties.

If nothing else, bisexuals have a legitimate interest in polygamous marriages. Why should a bisexual man or woman be forced into making a choice as to a life partner?

This entire topic is about a couple in a failed relationship bringing in other parties.

If nothing else, bisexuals have a legitimate interest in polygamous marriages. Why should a bisexual man or woman be forced into making a choice as to a life partner?

And that would be polyamory. Perhaps I missed the part where the author was considering marrying another partner?

And adding an outside partner to spice up sex lives or to get some intimacy that is lacking is a far cry from people who are ready to divorce marrying others and including them.

But then, being poly myself, I don't see the problem with it. I know quite a few bisexuals who have a spouse and another partner. They seem happy with it.

If gay parents do no harm to children, then there is no reason to rhink that multiple parents would harm children.

I don't see that multiple parents would necessarily harm children. Parents who divorce and remarry do that all the time. I have seen no movement to prevent divorced parents from remarrying.
They should not have to remarry. Bring in other husbands and wives. That's what polygamy is all about.

Polygamy is about bringing in other men and women to salvage a failed marriage? Where the hell did you get that definition?
Polygamy is about men and women deciding what relationships they have and how they choose to live their lives. Who are you to say they are wrong?

Please point out where I said polygamy is wrong? As long as they are consenting adults and everyone knows what is going on, why should anyone care? It certainly beats the rampant infidelity that traditional marriages seem to produce.

And there's no way you can keep it illegal for long.

Polyamory Is Next, And I’m One Reason Why

Here's how libertarianism has led me and my partner into polyamory, and why America will have to grapple with this issue next.

By Sara Burrows

JUNE 30, 2015

Email

Print

“You’re going to bed already?” I complained, as I prepared to read our three-year-old a bedtime story across the hall. It was my not-so-veiled solicitation for sex. I was nearing ovulation and in the mood. I knew Brad was rarely in the mood at night—unlike me, he’s a morning person—but I was hoping, by chance, he might be.

“Yeah, I’m tired,” he grumbled. “I have to work in the morning.” After I got my daughter to sleep in her own bed—a rare gem—I came back in to cuddle, to see if he was really asleep or just faking.

“Fine… come on over here, Beast,” he said endearingly and reluctantly. Half-asleep, he started doing his duty, but I could tell he wasn’t into it. He’d joked earlier in the evening, after one of my innuendos, that he might be in the mood if Kitty were around. Kitty (not her real name) is a friend of mine whom Brad’s been on a couple of dates with since we decided to open up our relationship about six months ago. At the moment, he’s wild about her. She’s new, different, everything I am not.

A few minutes into our ritual, I started laughing uncontrollably. This irritated Brad immensely. “I’m sorry, I can’t help it,” I said. “It’s just this is exactly like the video I watched about bonobos earlier, where the females push and kick the males until they agree to satisfy them.”

“Okay, I’m done,” he said, rolling over angrily and pulling the up the covers. I stormed off to the shower to cry.

“This is it! This is exactly why we need to be polyamorous,” I sobbed from behind the shower curtain, when Brad came in to make amends.

“Why?”

“Because you don’t want me, and I’m tired of it! I need to be desired! I need to be touched!”

“Shh, you’re going to wake Nora up,” he tried to calm me, as I worked myself into hysterics. He tried to coax me back into the bedroom to make it up to me, but it was too late. The mood had been killed, and it was neither one of our faults.

After going round and round in circles, Brad finally convinced me that he did, in fact, want to “make love” to me, even though I’d just thrown a tantrum more obnoxious than any two-year-old’s. He gave me what I needed, and we went to sleep.

Fanning the Flame

Polyamory Is Next, And I'm One Reason Why

There is nothing illegal about polyamory. Its been around since the advent of mankind.

That's their business. Bigamy is our business.

]

Well here's the interesting thing. It turns out that researchers found that asking the parents how the kids still in their home are doing or asking those kids while still under the influence of the parents in the home is not an accurate depiction of what's actually turning out of that home. That's why of the 2,000 or so young adults, freshly out of their homes where the girls lacked a mother (gay male marriage) or the boys lacked a father (lesbian marriage) reported a huge increase above their other peers raised with both mother and father on depression, drug use, indigence, a feeling of not belonging and even suicidal thoughts.

And the kids from the amicus brief in the link in my signature reported that people on the outside seeing the sanitized "studies" you mention have no clue of the real damage going on. Read their stories. You'll find it quite illuminating.. ‘Quartet of Truth’: Adult children of gay parents testify against same-sex ‘marriage’ at 5th Circuit

Here's a quote from one of them raised by gays:

While Klein classified her upbringing as abusive, Robert Oscar Lopez told the court that his own childhood upbringing by his mother and her longtime partner represented the “best possible conditions for a child raised by a same-sex couple.” Even so, Lopez testified that the lack of a father figure in his life, combined with the influence of the radical gay culture in which he was raised, gave rise to a devastating confusion about his own sexuality and ultimately led to his becoming a homosexual prostitute in his teen years in order to fulfill his craving for acceptance and love from older men.

“Had I been formally studied by same-sex parenting ‘experts’ in 1985, I would have confirmed their rosiest estimations of LGBT family life,” Lopez wrote. “[But b]ehind these façades of a happy ‘outcome’ lay many problems.”

“I experienced a great deal of sexual confusion,” Lopez wrote. “I had an inexplicable compulsion to have sex with older males … and wanted to have sex with older men who were my father’s age, though at the time I could scarcely understand what I was doing.”

Here are some other quotes from children raised by same sex couples:

"Our family really isn't so different from any other Iowa family. When I'm home we go to church together. We eat dinner. We go on vacations. But we have our hard times, too. … The sense of family comes from the commitment we make to each other to work through the hard times so we can enjoy the good ones. It comes from the love that binds us. That's what makes a family."

And yet, 2,000 young adults in England reported feeling mentally harmed by missing either a mother for girls or a father for boys in their lives. Gay marriage can't provide both genders to both-gendered children...

We're talking about statistics, not singular or rarer exceptions.

Bigamy is only bigamy when someone is harmed. Otherwise, no crime. If all parties consent to a multiple marriage there is no crime which is why there were no arrests or prosecutions arising out of the sister wives.

Of course we will have fully legalized multiple marriages. It's an alternative lifestyle. As long as all parties are adults and all consent, it need only be accepted by society. Just like same sex marriage. Don't tell adults how to live or who to love.

]

Well here's the interesting thing. It turns out that researchers found that asking the parents how the kids still in their home are doing or asking those kids while still under the influence of the parents in the home is not an accurate depiction of what's actually turning out of that home. That's why of the 2,000 or so young adults, freshly out of their homes where the girls lacked a mother (gay male marriage) or the boys lacked a father (lesbian marriage) reported a huge increase above their other peers raised with both mother and father on depression, drug use, indigence, a feeling of not belonging and even suicidal thoughts.

And the kids from the amicus brief in the link in my signature reported that people on the outside seeing the sanitized "studies" you mention have no clue of the real damage going on. Read their stories. You'll find it quite illuminating.. ‘Quartet of Truth’: Adult children of gay parents testify against same-sex ‘marriage’ at 5th Circuit

While Klein classified her upbringing as abusive, Robert Oscar Lopez told the court that his own childhood upbringing by his mother and her longtime partner represented the “best possible conditions for a child raised by a same-sex couple.” Even so, Lopez testified that the lack of a father figure in his life, combined with the influence of the radical gay culture in which he was raised, gave rise to a devastating confusion about his own sexuality and ultimately led to his becoming a homosexual prostitute in his teen years in order to fulfill his craving for acceptance and love from older men.

“Had I been formally studied by same-sex parenting ‘experts’ in 1985, I would have confirmed their rosiest estimations of LGBT family life,” Lopez wrote. “[But b]ehind these façades of a happy ‘outcome’ lay many problems.”

“I experienced a great deal of sexual confusion,” Lopez wrote. “I had an inexplicable compulsion to have sex with older males … and wanted to have sex with older men who were my father’s age, though at the time I could scarcely understand what I was doing.”

"Our family really isn't so different from any other Iowa family. When I'm home we go to church together. We eat dinner. We go on vacations. But we have our hard times, too. … The sense of family comes from the commitment we make to each other to work through the hard times so we can enjoy the good ones. It comes from the love that binds us. That's what makes a family."

And yet, 2,000 young adults in England reported feeling mentally harmed by missing either a mother for girls or a father for boys in their lives. Gay marriage can't provide both genders to both-gendered children...

Well that's random. And of course there are many, many more children of gay parents supporting their parents right to marry.

But as usual, the only child you care about is the child you can use to attack gay people. Any child that doesn't serve that purpose and can't be exploited by you to that end...is beneath your contempt. Which is why you ignore any child that supports the right of their same sex parents to marry.

My parents- my two moms- go to work every day, like other parents. They cook dinner and mow the yard. They take care of the house. Volunteer in the community. Pay their bills. Do the thousands of little things that keep a household running. And they love me, unconditionally. But it didn't take me long to realize that my mom and her partner didn't have the same rights as other people. They are treated differently by the law and can't do many of the things that other families take for granted.

Brian Arsenault, Op-Ed, Maine Voices: Young man’s wish for his moms on Mothers Day: the right to marry. Families come in different shapes and sizes, but what matters is the love they show each other, PORTLAND PRESS HERALD (May 11, 2012)

The truth is my family really is not that different than everyone else’s. We watch movies together, play board games, my dad cooks for me, and my other dad drops us off at school.

Malina Simard-Halm to Family Equality Council (Jan. 29, 2013)

“We are a normal family of four – well, as normal as any family with a teenage girl and an elementary school girl can be, which at some times isn’t much for anyone.”

McKinley Quinn BarbouRoske, 14

Marriage is about family and my dads take the best care of me and my brother. My family is no different than any other family. We go to the movies, they take me to my sports practice, play games, and make the holidays, especially Christmas, awesome.

Austin Covey, 19

I was the multiracial daughter being raised by two Catholic Jesuit psychologists. This was a therapy session waiting to happen. But ultimately, my childhood was like any other. Plaid skirts and Peter Pan collars itched from K through 8 at St. Gabriel’s school, where I participated in the Academic Decathlon, winter and spring performances, and athletic teams including soccer, volleyball, basketball, and baseball. Kevin, aka Pop (Papa, Pa, Poppy, Popsicle), became the first male president of the Mother’s Board and Dan, aka Dad (just Dad), became assistant soccer coach and one of the key members of the Athletic Board. Needless to say, my family made moves and made ourselves known.

Following in the footsteps of my fathers and their fathers before them, I became the fourth generation McPherson Gogin to attend St. Ignatius College Preparatory. Again, my high school experience was like many other hormonal teen girls’ high school experiences. It sucked. Acne, hormones, boys, college, SATs, musicals, proms, sporting tournaments. You name it; I went through it – with my dads’ support every step of the way.

Sarah Gogin, 24

I live in a home with two women who love each other very much. I call them my mothers. There is nothing wrong with the way they live or the way they raise their children. I have proof of this. I’ve seen it in the morning when my mothers are trying to get the three of us out the door for school. I’ve also seen it when they work together at our bakery and café as a family.

Gabrielle Benham

“having gay parents has changed [his] life for the better,” that he is “more aware,” “much more accepting,” and “more sensitive to differences in the world.

Matthew Lannon, 12

Their relationship, which started when I was 7 years old, was such an important example of what a loving, committed relationship should look like that I never thought to question it. I never knew to be embarrassed if someone looked at our family differently, or to worry if my friend coming to my Dad’s with me for the weekend would be uncomfortable. I just knew we’d have fun, watch the Golden Girls and play some board games (competitively)

.....How can they tell me that my family doesn’t count? That the relationship between my two dads that I have not only learned from and cherished, but also reaped the benefits of, isn’t acknowledged on the federal level? That the love they share isn’t deserving of the same protection and laws that a man and a woman receive?

Ella Robinson

“I consider my mom’s partner my stepmom. But society does not. My school doesn’t. My doctor doesn’t. Sometimes my friend’s parents don’t either. So that leaves me in a strange position. My family doesn’t mean to other people what it means to me. I am stuck saying ‘my mom’s partner’ or ‘my mom’s girlfriend,’ when, really, I should have the right to call her ‘my stepmom.’ ”

Samuel Putnam-Ripley

How could the free society that raised me and taught me everything that I know, now deny me my other foundation, a family that is recognized and protected as such? It felt like a slap in the face from my country. I had never asked for validation, but blatant exclusion hurts.

Tsipora Prochovnick

It doesn’t bother me to tell kids my parents are gay. It does bother me to say they aren’t married. It makes me feel that our family is less than a family.

Kasey Nicholson-McFadden, 10

My moms have been together for 22 years, and I could not have asked for better, more supportive parents. Both DOMA and Prop 8 essentially sentence my parents’ relationship to second class status, not only making our family feel less worthy than others, but denying us rights that are enjoyed by other families headed by straight parents.

Maggie Franks, 18

"If you look at the vast majority of things that define who my moms are, or who my family is, it’s really no more accurate to say that my moms are gay married than to say they are Packers-fan married, or work-in-health care married."

Zach Wahls, a University of Iowa engineering student who was raised by two moms, described his family to the Iowa House of Representatives in 2011

With children of same sex parents by the score voicing their support of their parents right to marry here:

And you ignore every single one of these children, without exception

]

Neither can single parent households. And since you are in favor of not allowing gays to have kids, we should take the children away from single parents too.

And since you're in a spamming mood, Sil....here's another list of briefs that contradict you.

And of course, there were many, many more amicus briefs filed in favor of same sex parenthood with dozens of accounts from the children of same sex parents:

‘BRIEF OF AMICI CURIAE, FAMILY EQUALITY COUNCIL

With other briefs filed in other same sex marriage cases filed that add their voices to the choir, with children of same sex parents coming out in support of marriage for same sex couples:

Amici Curiae from Friend and Family of Lesbians and Gays

With other briefs filed for the Windsor case with testimony from even more children:

Testimony of children of same sex parents in support of same sex marriage

With child after child of same sex parents coming out in support of their parents having the right to marry:

The Outspoken Generation - Family Equality Council

With even constitutional scholars specializing in the constitutional rights of children recognizing same sex marriage as benefiting their children:

Brief of Amici Curiae Scholars of the Constitutional Rights of Children in support of their petitioners

Which you should pay special attention to as it cited directly in the Obergefell decision.

Amici are scholars of family law and the law of equal protection. Amici submit this brief to: (1) draw attention to this Court’s precedent unequivocally establishing that states may not punish children based on matters beyond their control and (2) demonstrate
that state marriage bans inevitably and necessarily perform exactly this impermissible function because they deprive children of same-sex couples legal, economic and social benefits associated with the institution of marriage.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/Obergef..._of_the_Constitutional_Rights_of_Children.pdf

And the Supreme Court apparently found the accounts of these children and constitutional scholars compelling. As they recognized the harm that denying marriage to same sex parents causes their children:

Windsor v. US said:
"And it humiliates tens of thousands of children now being raised by same-sex couples. The law in question makes it even more difficult for the children to understand the integrity and closeness of their own family and its concord with other families in their community
and in their daily lives.....

.....DOMA also brings financial harm to children of same sex couples. It raises the cost of health care for families by taxing health benefits provided by employers to their workers’ same-sex spouses. And it denies or reduces benefits allowed to families upon the loss of a spouse and parent, benefits that are an integral part of family security. "

And again in Obergefell, paying special note one of their sources, the Scholars of the Constitutional Rights of Children.

Obergefell v. Hodges said:
By giving recognition and legal structure to their parents’ relationship, marriage allows children “to understand the integrity and closeness of their own family and its concord with other families in their community and in their daily lives.” Marriage also affords the permanency and stability important to children’s best interests. See Brief for Scholars of the Constitutional Rights of Children as Amici Curiae 22–27.

Ignore as you will, Sil.

]

Neither can single parent households. And since you are in favor of not allowing gays to have kids, we should take the children away from single parents too.

Sil was a single parent. So of course her standards don't apply to her.

Even Sil doesn't have much use for Sil's logic.

Bigamy is only bigamy when someone is harmed. Otherwise, no crime

Can you quote the law saying this?

Maybe these two will help.

Bigamy – What It Is and What to do If You Find Yourself in This Situation - Avvo.com

Will You Be Denied U.S. Citizenship Based on Polygamy, Bigamy, or Multiple Marriages? | Nolo.com

The crime is fraudulently entering into a marriage while concealing a prior marriage from an unsuspecting spouse. There is a misdemeanor of obtaining two marriage licenses,

At one time same sex couples could not get a marriage license. The law was changed. At one time, two men could not have sex in their own homes. Then the law was changed. These kinds of malum prohibitum laws are changed as society changes. Of course laws governing multiple marriages will change.

We have such immigration from people who already are in polygamous marriages, it's amusing to think it won't happen here. We won't be permitted to break up families forever. Now, to immigrate here a man must elect a wife. He can immigrate here with his wife. Divorce that wife and bring over his other legal wife. Then all parties can resume their normal relationship while still all being married in their home country.

Get used to it. Polygamous marriage will be the law here as surely as Kim Davis got suspended.

P

Bigamy – What It Is and What to do If You Find Yourself in This Situation - Avvo.com

Will You Be Denied U.S. Citizenship Based on Polygamy, Bigamy, or Multiple Marriages? | Nolo.com

The crime is fraudulently entering into a marriage while concealing a prior marriage from an unsuspecting spouse. There is a misdemeanor of obtaining two marriage licenses,

At one time same sex couples could not get a marriage license. The law was changed. At one time, two men could not have sex in their own homes. Then the law was changed. These kinds of malum prohibitum laws are changed as society changes. Of course laws governing multiple marriages will change.

We have such immigration from people who already are in polygamous marriages, it's amusing to think it won't happen here. We won't be permitted to break up families forever. Now, to immigrate here a man must elect a wife. He can immigrate here with his wife. Divorce that wife and bring over his other legal wife. Then all parties can resume their normal relationship while still all being married in their home country.

Get used to it. Polygamous marriage will be the law here as surely as Kim Davis got suspended.

P

Did you even read what you posted?

From a legal perspective, bigamy is a very narrow concept. It is the act of being married to more than one person and having a (supposedly) valid marriage license for each marriage.

So your own source is wrong?

P

From a legal perspective, bigamy is a very narrow concept. It is the act of being married to more than one person and having a (supposedly) valid marriage license for each marriage.

Silly me, I thought you could be educated,

When the group marriage moves in next door to you it will become clear.

P

So you can't cite a single law backing your interpertation. And your own source contradicts you.

My position is your own sources position:

What about your own source's definition do you have a problem with?

P

If they do, I hope they like the neighborhood as much as we do.

Forum List

Back