If State Legislators/Governor Won't Enact Rent Control, Vote Them Out

What you believe doesn't necessarily reflect the multiple costs associated with owning property.

Not up to you to decide what the owner needs. It's their damn building.
Again, I made no claim about what the owner needs . Also again (and I'll say this 100 times if necessary) >> " If business owners cannot handle the costs associated with running their business, then stay out of that business. Don't be dumping costs on to the customers, especially for a commodity that people HAVE TO HAVE.

Their damn building or not, they are dealing with something people need to survive. That requires more respect/attention than just someone looking to make a buck. If a landlord wants a business free from social responsibilities/ramifications, let him sell marshmallows.

Just buy your own apartment, then, don't be such a cheapskate. You'll get a tax deduction as well as an interest deduction if you have to sign a note
Balking at a $96/month rent increase, is not being a cheapskate. 3 years ago, I was paying $600/month for a 1 bedroom apartment. Now I'm paying $1,014. Landlords are getting away with murder.

Balking at a $96/month rent increase, is not being a cheapskate. 3 years ago, I was paying $600/month for a 1 bedroom apartment. Now I'm paying $1,014. Landlords are getting away with murder.
3 years ago was before Bidenomics took effect.

If you voted for that atrocity, you are getting what you ask for.

If you didn't, try better this fall.

I'm getting ready to sell my mom's former properties (now mine) and I'm already 3K out of pocket for various odds and ends that I can't do myself.

Nothing is even reasonable cost wise and everyone from the town/county/state has their hand out for fees and surcharges.

And guess what? All those expenses will be figured into the selling price and passed on to the buyer. That is the way of the world when you try staying on the winning end of things.

It never ceases to amaze me that renters with no skin in the ownership game bitch about a modest rent increase when they have no idea of the real costs involved.....And don't want to know.

In the real Game of Life there are no equal outcomes....There are always winners and losers.
1. $96/month is not a "modest" increase.
2. There is a huge difference between a necessity commodity and a non-necessity. With non-necessities, the firm cannot pass on expenses to the buyer, because the buyer will STOP BUYING, and the seller loses money by sales reduction. With necessities, landlords take buyers for granted knowing they NEED the item (in this case housing)
3. Renters may have no skin in the ownership game, but they have their whole lives in the renting game of their housing (#1 element of human survival), which the owners have no skin in that.
4. As for the real costs involved AGAIN >> " If business owners cannot handle the costs associated with running their business, then stay out of that business. Don't be dumping costs on to the customers, especially for a commodity that people HAVE TO HAVE.
5. I'm sick & disgusted of listening to landlords in this thread. How about some renters showing up here, and SPEAK UP.

2. There is a huge difference between a necessity commodity and a non-necessity. With non-necessities, the firm cannot pass on expenses to the buyer, because the buyer will STOP BUYING, and the seller loses money by sales reduction. With necessities, landlords take buyers for granted knowing they NEED the item (in this case housing)
3. Renters may have no skin in the ownership game, but they have their whole lives in the renting game of their housing (#1 element of human survival), which the owners have no skin in that.
4. As for the real costs involved AGAIN >> " If business owners cannot handle the costs associated with running their business, then stay out of that business. Don't be dumping costs on to the customers, especially for a commodity that people HAVE TO HAVE.
5. I'm sick & disgusted of listening to landlords in this thread. How about some renters showing up here, and SPEAK UP.

The cost of a can of beans is up by a bigger percentage under Sleepy Joe.

Landlords need to eat too, people paying rent is their livelihood.

The hordes Joe imported hit your area....? Supply and demand. Btw they can't put up apts fast enough here so I'm guessing we are getting our "fair share" or more. 5;large ones have gone up within 5 blocks of my brother. Traffic is going to be grand
HARMS of Illegal Immigration

1. Americans lose jobs. (especially Whites due to affirmative action).
2. Wage reduction.
3. Tax $ lost (due to off books work + lower wages paid).
4. Remittance $$$ lost. ($148 Billion/year). Remittance flows worldwide in 2017
5. Tax $$ lost to immigrants on welfare.
6. Increased crime.
7. Increased traffic congestion.
8. Increased pollution.
9. Overcrowding in hospital ERs.
10. Overcrowding in recreational facilities.
11. Overcrowding in government offices.
12. Overcrowding in schools.
13. Decrease in funds available for entitlements.
14. Cultural erosion.
15. Overuse of scarce resources (oil, gasoline, fresh water, jobs, electricity, food, etc)
16. Introduction of foreign diseases
17. Influx of terrorists.
18. Wildfires
19. Litter
20. Housing saturation.
21. Excessively high housing costs.

Once we have government providing us with all our necessities (health care, housing, food, education, ...,) life will be free and easy.

3 years ago was before Bidenomics took effect.
If you voted for that atrocity, you are getting what you ask for.
If you didn't, try better this fall.
I voted for Trump 3 times. Will vote for him again. I'm a Republican.

You really expect landlords to just eat the costs of tax and utility hikes?

The cost of a can of beans is up by a bigger percentage under Sleepy Joe.

Landlords need to eat too, people paying rent is their livelihood.
:puhleeze: :puhleeze: Let's not get ridiculous now. Sheeesh!

How do you know he's not looking for that yacht shown in the OP ?

The landlords' economics is not the question here. The economics of the RENTERS is the point of reference. Especially in a LOW INCOME building as mine is (LIHTC - Low income Housing tax Credit)

And AGAIN >> " If business owners cannot handle the costs associated with running their business, then stay out of that business. Don't be dumping costs on to the customers, especially for a commodity that people HAVE TO HAVE.

NO, it is NOT "simple". The OP already covered this. Some people have to be told twice.

1. "Of course this letter doesn't specify what these so-called "operational costs" are, nor offer any proof that they even exist. For all we know this rent increase might be nothing more than somebody (who we never see, don't know their name) wanting more money to buy something like this >>
1712492041435.png

2. If business owners cannot handle the costs associated with running their business, then stay out of that business. Don't be dumping costs on to the customers, especially for a commodity that people HAVE TO HAVE.

3. How do you expect the tenants to "cover" the cost of the increase ?
My increases in Social Security& VA pension for 2024 = $41/mo. The rent increase is $96/mo. That means I'm LOSING ground ($55/mo or $660/yr) LOSS.
We are all losing ground. It was not however unexpected, and if this surprises you, then you are presenting yourself as a dolt.

We told you that shutting down the economy would cause inflation when it opened up. No surprise when it happened.

We told you that the push for green policies would increase costs to everything. No surprise it happened.

We told you that the push to increase wages would increase wages. No surprise costs went up when the wages increased.

Did you actually think you would be immune to these and many more issues we told you would increase costs?

People like you are the reason these costs increased that result in higher rent.

You should never ever be listened to again.

:puhleeze: :puhleeze: Let's not get ridiculous now. Sheeesh!

How do you know he's not looking for that yacht shown in the OP ?

The landlords' economics is not the question here. The economics of the RENTERS is the point of reference. Especially in a LOW INCOME building as mine is (LIHTC - Low income Housing tax Credit)

And AGAIN >> " If business owners cannot handle the costs associated with running their business, then stay out of that business. Don't be dumping costs on to the customers, especially for a commodity that people HAVE TO HAVE.
You get both social security and VA pension? Good lord. 🤦‍♂️

Forum List

Back