Illiterate Rachel Jeantel given full college scholarship!!

Teaching cursive is a controversy right now in education. Schools a disbanding teaching it. They are teaching typing instead.

This is the case in many American school districts. I disagree with it. I hope the young girl in question takes advantage of the offer. I came from a background where I would not have gotten a college education had I not worked for it and paid for it myself. How fortunate I would have felt to have such an offer as she has been given. It will change her life.

I don't. Frankly, it's a useless skill. Block writing is easier to read and I can type faster than I can write.

I also kind of disagree. College is not for everyone, and frankly, the only reason why it changes people's lives is because jobs demand it because primary education is so poor. I know people in my line of work (Purchasing) who've been doing it for 20-30 years who can't get jobs now because they didn't really need college when they started to do this job.

I can write faster than you type, what's your point?

"There are only two human races - the race of the decent and the race of the indecent people." Viktor Frankl

Racism has gone so deep into the psyche of Americans that now it has become simply a way of judging another regardless of circumstances. Amazing how a nation that considers itself a just nation and a Christian nation can stoop so low, it fails to see its own racism. Is it any wonder at the outcome of this trial? Or the insane commentary that followed it.

"You start out in 1954 by saying, “******, ******, ******.” By 1968 you can’t say “******” — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states’ rights and all that stuff. You’re getting so abstract now you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a by-product of them is blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I’m not saying that. But I’m saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “******, ******.” Lee Atwater, Republican strategist, 1981, describing the Southern Strategy

"We learn to be racist, therefore we can learn not to be racist. Racism is not genetical. It has everything to do with power." Jane Elliot

If we spent a decent amount of money on education, and the poor kids in the ghettos got the same quality education rich white kids in the suburbs got, illiteracy wouldn't be an issue.

Of course, keeping everyone as stupid as you are is how the plutocrats stay in power.

More money on education? You really think thats the answer?
The problem lies with the kids parents. They dont give a shit if their kids go to school or not. And more money for education wont change that.
And when you have a culture that derides those who achieve in school as uncle toms .....

Our society does not emphasize the importance of school that some other more successful countries do, such as China. It's not just the black, but the poor and even the middle class does not emphasize the importance of homework and college.

Do you really expect the very best from your children when it comes to school work? Do you go over their work each night and make them go over their errors?

Do you get the best from them that they can do? Do they spend at least two hours a night on school work or do they have their noses buried in their Ipods and phones?

While I agree with you to some extent. The problem is way more prevalent in the black and hispanic community.

Our society does not emphasize the importance of school that some other more successful countries do, such as China. It's not just the black, but the poor and even the middle class does not emphasize the importance of homework and college.

Do you really expect the very best from your children when it comes to school work? Do you go over their work each night and make them go over their errors?

Do you get the best from them that they can do? Do they spend at least two hours a night on school work or do they have their noses buried in their Ipods and phones?

You're right Jackson. Most parents do expect their kids to go to school, they just expect the school to do everything. To most parents, dropping off the kids at school is liking dropping off clothes at the dry cleaners: they just expect it to be taken care of and to pick it up fully finished. If anything goes wrong, they blame the cleaners. Most American parents are not personally involved with their children's education, as you describe. That's the real problem.

I'm a grandparent and was horrified to find out where my grandson went to middle school the parents actually voted to have the school stop giving homework because they were tired if doing it! This is where the homes are $200-$300,000! How bad is that!

Now thats F'ed up!
And I have to say the parents these days take the side of their kids now days.
Not so when I was a kid. You got your butt lit up again when you got home.
My brother doesnt think twice about pulling his daughter out of school early on a pretty regular basis. When he knows damn good and well that shit wouldnt fly when we were kids.

No, we make a big deal out of fact that she couldn't read the letter shoe testified that she wrote.

"shoe"?

She stated straight up she had someone else write it down for her. IN fact, she was pretty straight up about a lot of things, unlike Zimmerman, who didn't even want to get on the stand because he might get caught in yet more lies.

She was straight up about her age, why she didn't go to the funeral, the fact that she wrote the letter, what she heard over the phone, and so many other things.

I wonder why nobody raised the flag earlier. She should be in prison for committing perjury. There she could get real education.

[
I'm a grandparent and was horrified to find out where my grandson went to middle school the parents actually voted to have the school stop giving homework because they were tired if doing it! This is where the homes are $200-$300,000! How bad is that!

That's what you were told but that's not the real reason. Schools are banning homework because negros and hispos can't or won't do it. Only whites and asians do homework and wiboowals say that's not fair.

I bet my next 5 pay checks Rachel Jeantel is smarter than ShittySpeedos.

[

That's what you were told but that's not the real reason. Schools are banning homework because negros and hispos can't or won't do it. Only whites and asians do homework and wiboowals say that's not fair.

Yeah, she could be our next president. She just need to learn how to read from teleprompter.

Ame®icano;7562997 said:

Yeah, she could be our next president. She just need to learn how to read from teleprompter.

Actually, she probably needs to learn how to read first.

[

Everyone is smarter than him.

Ame®icano;7563131 said:
Actually, she probably needs to learn how to read first.

By the time she master it she'll meet age requirements for president.

"masters"

If you're gonna rip someone, get it right.

If that is all you can rip me for, then you really have no much to say.

Needle, haystack...

Beside that, you got the point.

Iinteresting that the offer is only for an HBCU. He knows real colleges would never accept her.

Rachel Jeantel offered college scholarship by radio host Tom Joyner

After watching Piers Morgan's interview Monday with Rachel Jeantel, a key witness in George Zimmerman's trial, radio personality Tom Joyner was so moved that he decided to do something extraordinary. During his Tuesday program, Joyner called Jeantel to express his admiration for her and offer to personally help her attend a historically black college or university. "I will help you get tutors to get you out of high school, tutors to help you pass the SAT and I will give you a full-ride scholarship to any HBCU you'd like," he promised

Florida doesn't have SAT they have FCAT you get 5 chances to pass it in
HS to graduate. If you don't pass the first (and subsequent) times they put you in FCAT class to teach you how to pass it. With that many chances.... let's do math on hbcu entrance exam.

Good luck Rachel!!

Good. Now she can learn to read cursive.

No really. I hope it steers her in the right direction in life.

Teaching cursive is a controversy right now in education. Schools a disbanding teaching it. They are teaching typing instead.

Keyboarding. I don't know a school that's taught cursive in the last 20 years actually.

How do they sign the bottom of their checks or contracts with a keyboard?

What in the world do they teach in public schools now?

Sending Rachel to college is like trying to give singing lessons to a pig.

It won't learn anything, and it irritates the pig.

It isn't surprising that the poor girl is functionally illiterate. She's on facebook so she's not totally illiterate. The shame of it is, she doesn't know how poorly educated she is. She thinks she's well educated. When these kids go to college and figure out their real place they are infuriated and rightly so.

Joyner might think it's a safe offer because Jeantel would never make it into a college. Especially an all black college. They are exceptionally hard colleges to get into and graduate from. Unlike state colleges, all black colleges demand perfection. If she got in she'd be out in 30 days. For one thing, all black colleges are segegated by sex. They are either all male, like Morehouse or all female like Spelman. Rachel Jeantel is not likely to go to an all women's college that will make the kind of demands on her that Spelman would.

I had seen something on a link posted on the closed thread that said she was 19, in the 12th grade but also going to college classes in Criminal Justice... :eek:

And, she gave the best she had while testifying? I wouldn't want her investigating a crime against me.

I bet she'd trade all that for a smartphone contract.

The way I see it, she'll end up with degree of some kind. Maybe she'll graduate cursive English from Rosetta Stone followed by getting an honorary degree, maybe even PhD, like Oprah or president, without attending of course. After all that, Hollywood will step in with a movie role in Precious 2. Ms. Jeantel nail polish will sell all around the world. After release of audio book "In ma own vois" for kids that can't read cursive, she'll get reality show, maybe even spot on The View.

Forum List

Back