incandescent bulbs go into the dustbin of history

I'm not a right-winger, but it bothers me that a GOOD lightbulb now costs a large portion of an unemployment check.. Or that a solid lightning strike could take out a $100 worth of Govt approved lightbulbs.

Sane people always fret about a lightning strike taking out their lightbulbs, of course. Not about frying the appliances or burning down the house. No, it's the light bulbs we need to worry about.

That is, you're just giving us paranoid gibberish. Not to mention you're off in cuckooland concerning prices.

And yes, you are a right-winger. Who do you think you're fooling?

Last edited:
Abuse of cats is not cool.

Rubbing them together to make electricity is cruel....though more effective over the long term than windmills.

Meanwhile, it doesn't take many Obamabulbs to run up the cost to $100. Far fewer than of the reliable old kind. So whether lightning strikes take out plain vanilla light bulbs, curly (mercury filled) bulbs or LED lamps.....dead is dead. Only the replacements cost more for the mandated sort. Of course libs will soon introduce a program to provide free replacements for registered Democrat voters (or for benefit dependent potential voters) so you need not worry.

Don't forget highly toxic. The CFL bulbs have fairly high levels of mercury in them so they qualify as toxic waste. Nothing quite like exchanging a moderately efficient, low cost light bulb for a moderately efficient, high cost, toxic replacement.

Of course, the coal burned to power that incandescent released more mercury.

And LEDs don't have mercury.

Conclusion: Denialists are all raging hypocrites concerning the mercury issue

I'm not a right-winger, but it bothers me that a GOOD lightbulb now costs a large portion of an unemployment check.. Or that a solid lightning strike could take out a $100 worth of Govt approved lightbulbs.

Sane people always fret about a lightning strike taking out their lightbulbs, of course. Not about frying the appliances or burning down the house. No, it's the light bulbs we need to worry about.

That is, you're just giving us paranoid gibberish. Not to mention you're off in cuckooland concerning prices.

And yes, you are a right-winger. Who do you think you're fooling?

Hey Jerkoff.. Last year I designed 2 industrial LED downlights for a client. ALL of the hard design was in the lifetime of the power supplies for each bulb. Customer called me in because the crap he was getting from China wasnt ready to pass UL. Turns out it was virtually without any safety or noise reduction or hardening for transients.. Wasnt my specialty but the client is an old Silicon Valley bud of mine with 5 companies under his belt.

I took apart MANY bulb designs and looked at the amount of transient protection.. Very rare.

EVERY LED bulb has a full AC TO DC 40 watt or better power supply in the base. Wiith a lot of complexity and silicon control. One good line transient and the cheesy bias circuits for the control is toast.

SO ASSHOLE... Its NOT a refrigerator. Your fighting size and cost and heat. AND to beat the odds you have to design for 10 year life...STFU

PS Call me a right winger again and you get negged.. Ive spent 15 years in 3rd party advocacy and I can out liberal you on most every social / intl relations issue.. But you knew that didnt you?

Last edited:
Don't forget highly toxic. The CFL bulbs have fairly high levels of mercury in them so they qualify as toxic waste. Nothing quite like exchanging a moderately efficient, low cost light bulb for a moderately efficient, high cost, toxic replacement.

I agree LED's are much better however their cost is out of reach for most poor and lower middle class. As far as the coal fired power plants, where the hell have you been? The majority of US plants have very efficient scrubbers that control that. And, more to the point natural gas is supplanting coal everywhere because it is CHEAPER.

So no, I'm not a hypocrite. I have LEDS throughout my home because I can afford them.
The hypocrite is you. Coal plants were certainly a problem but now people like you have mandated that almost EVERY BUILDING in the USA is now a potential HAZMAT site.

GREAT JOB!

I agree LED's are much better however their cost is out of reach for most poor and lower middle class. As far as the coal fired power plants, where the hell have you been? The majority of US plants have very efficient scrubbers that control that. And, more to the point natural gas is supplanting coal everywhere because it is CHEAPER.

So no, I'm not a hypocrite. I have LEDS throughout my home because I can afford them.
The hypocrite is you. Coal plants were certainly a problem but now people like you have mandated that almost EVERY BUILDING in the USA is now a potential HAZMAT site.

GREAT JOB!

LEDs are about $10-15 each. I started replacing them one per month in those lights that are on the most. Kitchen, living areas. I used CFLs in bedroom lamps and smaller areas. I still have some incandescents in closets where they ar only on for a few seconds

now my heat bill goes up since I don't have the heat they produced.

GREAT JOB!

what about the older coal-fired plants? Are they ALL retrofitted w/ up to par scrubbers? And do scrubbers have to be periodically cleaned?

Heres a little article flacaltenn might be interested in concerning coal ash & his contention(?) he had made that its innocuous: Coal Ash Is More Radioactive than Nuclear Waste: Scientific American

Im laughing.........

Light bulbs.........since 2007, it is the only single legislative victory the AGW meatheads can point to. Meanwhile, nobody is giving a shit about AGW!!!

Light bulbs

GREAT JOB!

what about the older coal-fired plants? Are they ALL retrofitted w/ up to par scrubbers? And do scrubbers have to be periodically cleaned?

Heres a little article flacaltenn might be interested in concerning coal ash & his contention(?) he had made that its innocuous: Coal Ash Is More Radioactive than Nuclear Waste: Scientific American

Virtually all in the US have been fitted with scrubbers for years, some of them decades. Yes scrubbers need to be maintained just like the filters in your car. The point about CFL's is now instead of having a single point source that is easy to monitor and regulate there are now MILLIONS of homes with little HAZMAT disasters happening.

How many people do you think are going to take the time to dispose of a CFL properly? So, thanks to a stupid mandate, every landfill in America is going to become a HAZMAT problem.

GOOD JOB!

GREAT JOB!

Heres a little article flacaltenn might be interested in concerning coal ash & his contention(?)
Code:
he had made that its innocuous: Coal Ash Is More Radioactive than Nuclear Waste: Scientific American

You never caught me saying that coal was innocuous. Ive been hitting on the radioactivenaspects of coal ash waaaaaay before the hysterical Sci Am article.
ive got friends impacted by the E. Tenn ash spill.

As a general clarification, ounce for ounce, coal ash released from a power plant delivers more radiation than nuclear waste shielded via water or dry cask storage.

Thats the small print at the VERY END of the Sci Am article. Since CONTAINED nuclear waste generates only background levels, concentrated coal is only 10 times background. It was the VOLUME of fly ash that USED to come from a coal stack that made it more significant than the direct emissions of a nuclear plant...

You need to quote us more carefully bud...

Call me a right winger again and you get negged.

How about if I just call you overly sensitive little flower? A saying about the high ambient temperature in cooking facilities comes to mind.

I've spent 15 years in 3rd party advocacy and I can out liberal you on most every social / intl relations issue. But you knew that didnt you?

If you don't want to come across as a righty, you might want to occasionally say a bad word about a conservative, instead of entirely reserving your venom for liberals. You're responsible for the way you come across, not me.

Call me a right winger again and you get negged.

How about if I just call you overly sensitive little flower? A saying about the high ambient temperature in cooking facilities comes to mind.

I've spent 15 years in 3rd party advocacy and I can out liberal you on most every social / intl relations issue. But you knew that didnt you?

If you don't want to come across as a righty, you might want to occasionally say a bad word about a conservative, instead of entirely reserving your venom for liberals. You're responsible for the way you come across, not me.

:gay:

flacaltenn,
Did the issues with CFL result in LED R&D or was LED going to be the next thing anyway?

Forum List

Back