Iraq War veteran critically injured after being hit with a grenade by Oakland Police

I believe this man is now dead. It's a very very sad tragedy. The Police should be prosecuted. Their callousness and cruelty is pretty shocking. Why couldn't just one step up and do the right thing? It goes to their poor training. They shouldn't be trained to be Nazi Storm Troopers. They should be trained to be good & honorable public servants who care about their fellow citizens. Something went terribly wrong here in regards to their training. I'll pray for this man's family.
Wounded veteran improving as protesters urge strike | Reuters

Posted about six or seven minutes ago...he is improving according to the articles.

All message board dickering aside, I am glad he is improving and hope he recovers, and there is a good chance that he was just walking along, but the fact remains that there were agitators present, and that they need to share in the blame for the guy getting hurt. If you read the Bay Area Citizens live blog you will see that other protestors even said that another group of protesters were trying to start trouble with the cops.

The evidence was linked in the OP.

You are telling lies.

The video link wasn't in the OP, nope, not at all.

The cop doesn't throw a flash grenade at the people trying to help the fallen Mr. Olsen. No siree.

None of that happened, I must be telling lies.

And what are the other circumstances surrounding the incident ? How do you know EMT was not trying to get to the guy ? How do you know the group was not told to stay back repeatedly ? And what part of a cops training tells them to trust in the good nature of the mob that had been throwing blue paint, rock, and bottles at them ? No one knows anything other then they guy was hurt while breaking the law. Thats all.

You are telling lies.

The cop doesn't throw a flash grenade at the people trying to help the fallen Mr. Olsen. No siree.

And what are the other circumstances surrounding the incident ? How do you know EMT was not trying to get to the guy ?

There was no EMT in the video. In fact, the group that came to his aid were calling for a medic.

How do you know the group was not told to stay back repeatedly?

I don't. If you have evidence that says they were, please post it. Even if you do have evidence of such, these people were helping him and the reaction was uncalled for.

And what part of a cops training tells them to trust in the good nature of the mob that had been throwing blue paint, rock, and bottles at them ? No one knows anything other then they guy was hurt while breaking the law. Thats all.

The group of people were calling for medical assistance for the guy. What part of a cops training says to fire flash grenades at people assisting a wounded man and calling for a medic?

Look, I don't know what exactly happened to Mr. Olsen. Nobody knows except the person who did it to him be it a cop or a protester and that's not even what I have a problem with. My beef is that when people came to his aid and called for a medic the police responded by throwing a grenade at the very people who were trying to help. It couldn't be any clearer in the video linked in the OP. THAT'S what/who my beef with is. The piece of shit who threw a flash grenade at people trying to help a helpless man.

Last edited:

And what are the other circumstances surrounding the incident ? How do you know EMT was not trying to get to the guy ?

There was no EMT in the video. In fact, the group that came to his aid were calling for a medic.

How do you know the group was not told to stay back repeatedly?

I don't. If you have evidence that says they were, please post it. Even if you do have evidence of such, these people were helping him and the reaction was uncalled for.

And what part of a cops training tells them to trust in the good nature of the mob that had been throwing blue paint, rock, and bottles at them ? No one knows anything other then they guy was hurt while breaking the law. Thats all.

The group of people were calling for medical assistance for the guy. What part of a cops training says to fire flash grenades at people assisting a wounded man and calling for a medic?

Look, I don't know what exactly happened to Mr. Olsen. Nobody knows except the person who did it to him be it a cop or a protester and that's not even what I have a problem with. My beef is that when people came to his aid and called for a medic the police responded by throwing a grenade at the very people who were trying to help. It couldn't be any clearer in the video linked in the OP. THAT'S what/who my beef with is. The piece of shit who threw a flash grenade at people trying to help a helpless man.

Everything is linked throughout the thread. Go read it for your self. It aint what it looks like.

He made the right decision. I'll give him kudos for this. Obviously these Police were not trained properly. They showed absolutely no regard for their fellow citizens. We have to stop training our Police the same way we train our Military. There is a big difference between the two. It looks like we've decided as a nation to turn our Police into Storm Troopers. That's a terrible mistake. I still can't believe not one officer stepped up to help the man. Instead they fired grenades at him and those trying to help. What were they thinking? Someone has to be prosecuted over this man's death. Period,end of story.

Horse Shit. the man was injured while breaking the law. Nuff said.

He made the right decision. I'll give him kudos for this. Obviously these Police were not trained properly. They showed absolutely no regard for their fellow citizens. We have to stop training our Police the same way we train our Military. There is a big difference between the two. It looks like we've decided as a nation to turn our Police into Storm Troopers. That's a terrible mistake. I still can't believe not one officer stepped up to help the man. Instead they fired grenades at him and those trying to help. What were they thinking? Someone has to be prosecuted over this man's death. Period,end of story.

And the cop who threw the flash grenade right next to his body and into a group of people coming to his aid?

All in the name of law and order, eh, comrade?

And the cop who threw the flash grenade right next to his body and into a group of people coming to his aid?

Where would EMT be positioned during an operation like this?
I understand this may be difficult for you but try thinking for a moment.
They had EMT available behind the police lines. Now answer me this, how do you bring up EMT when the crowd is advancing on your position?

And I posted earlier (A Picture of the young fool) that this same poor unfortunate fool had crossed the barriers. He was one of the trouble makers that probably started or helped start the whole mess.
Sorry , I do hope he has a full recovery but, then I hope he is charged with everything they can think of. I do not deal well with stupidity.

The hostile crowd got to close to the police.
They didn't look all that hostile to me.
The crowd was upset with the police, they got to close and it was unknown if any had weapons.

They were told to leave and they didn't, so they got the boom boom
:rolleyes: They were walking around and away from the tear gas. No one was making hostile moves toward the police that were all bunched up behind the barricades.

Nothing they did merited tear gas to begin with.

They had EMT available behind the police lines. Now answer me this, how do you bring up EMT when the crowd is advancing on your position?

And I posted earlier (A Picture of the young fool) that this same poor unfortunate fool had crossed the barriers. He was one of the trouble makers that probably started or helped start the whole mess.
Sorry , I do hope he has a full recovery but, then I hope he is charged with everything they can think of. I do not deal well with stupidity.

The guy was down just a few yards from the cop barriers and there were no EMTs.

The people were CALLING for a medic.

Do you think people who were calling for a medic for this man would obstruct the EMTs?

What's a cracked skull to the police?

I have to laugh at all the rightwingloons that are blaming a Vet here.

Such hypocrisy.

They didn't look all that hostile to me.
The crowd was upset with the police, they got to close and it was unknown if any had weapons.

They were told to leave and they didn't, so they got the boom boom
:rolleyes: They were walking around and away from the tear gas. No one was making hostile moves toward the police that were all bunched up behind the barricades.

Nothing they did merited tear gas to begin with.

Really? So the Mayor lied when claiming that the police had rocks and paint thrown at them?
And if as I suspect the EMT Units were somewhere behind the police and the crowd started forward again, (No way would the police assume they were only coming forward to help someone) then they would be prevented from moving those EMT Units forward.

Do we hate the police that much that we will lie to make them look bad? It is very possible that the situation could have been handled better than it was. But that's using hindsight, something the police didn't have while facing a hostile crowd.

The guy was down just a few yards from the cop barriers and there were no EMTs.

The people were CALLING for a medic.

Do you think people who were calling for a medic for this man would obstruct the EMTs?

Calling for a medic as they ran away from the place the medics would be found. Why the hell would you move someone with a head injury without a backboard etc......

Stupid idiots.............

Forum List

Back