IRS Memo Says They Must Hand Over trump's Tax Returns

IRS memos don't undo laws or the Constitution.

This isn't NAZI Germany.

Democrats are starting to make it look like Nazi Germany, aren't they?
Let's take them out of the equation....trump promised he will release his taxes? Why he doesnt want to?
Why is he also blocking people from seing his grades?

Do you honestly think that trump if he had clean returns and amazing grades, he wouldnt be showing them off every minute ?
I mean the guy is the biggest narcissist and show off to mankind.

Let me explain this so you understand.

In this country, professional politicians usually run for the presidency. With that goal in mind, they also understand they may one day need to release their returns to the public should they make it that far; not because it's required by law, but because it's required by the press.

So they make sure their returns look acceptable for the press: give enough to charity to make them happy, don't take all deductions so they pay an acceptable amount of tax, things like that.

Trump is not a professional politician, he's a professional businessman. Whether he thought of running for President or not, he never thought he'd actually be President. Therefore his tax returns are not structured for public view. His tax returns are for maximum business profits which means he took every tax deduction and paid as little as allowable by law.

Congress is the legislative body of our government. Congress can confiscate the tax returns of the executive body IF it has something to do with the legislative body. In this case, it doesn't. Democrats want Trumps tax returns to try and take advantage (for political purposes only) of how little he may have paid in taxes, or perhaps how little he may have given to charity.

Congress cannot confiscate tax returns for that reason alone. And given the fact that Trump just went through a 2.5 year investigation by a private a special council, there is no reason for the Congress to do an additional investigation.
That actually makes sense. I've said it before, that there may be legitimate reasons trump doesnt want his taxes released. My reasons usually came down to protecting business interests. Basically, not allowing business partners see what dealings he had with other business partners.

I never thought of the angle you provided. Some politicians who have presidential aspirations likely plan years in advance, part of that planning is sculpting their tax returns to make them look good for public view.

I think the difference between most Republican tax returns and Democrat tax returns is......nothing. I think some people believe that Democrats are noble and they pay all kinds of money in taxes and give huge sums of money to charities, and repubs hide all their money and are stingy.

The truth is more likely that wealthy Democrats use the same deductions and loopholes that repubs do.

This isn't NAZI Germany.

Let's take them out of the equation....trump promised he will release his taxes? Why he doesnt want to?

Do you honestly think that trump if he had clean returns and amazing grades, he wouldnt be showing them off every minute ?

In this country, professional politicians usually run for the presidency. With that goal in mind, they also understand they may one day need to release their returns to the public should they make it that far; not because it's required by law, but because it's required by the press.

So they make sure their returns look acceptable for the press: give enough to charity to make them happy, don't take all deductions so they pay an acceptable amount of tax, things like that.

Trump is not a professional politician, he's a professional businessman. Whether he thought of running for President or not, he never thought he'd actually be President. Therefore his tax returns are not structured for public view. His tax returns are for maximum business profits which means he took every tax deduction and paid as little as allowable by law.

Congress is the legislative body of our government. Congress can confiscate the tax returns of the executive body IF it has something to do with the legislative body. In this case, it doesn't. Democrats want Trumps tax returns to try and take advantage (for political purposes only) of how little he may have paid in taxes, or perhaps how little he may have given to charity.

Congress cannot confiscate tax returns for that reason alone. And given the fact that Trump just went through a 2.5 year investigation by a private a special council, there is no reason for the Congress to do an additional investigation.
That actually makes sense. I've said it before, that there may be legitimate reasons trump doesnt want his taxes released. My reasons usually came down to protecting business interests. Basically, not allowing business partners see what dealings he had with other business partners.

I never thought of the angle you provided. Some politicians who have presidential aspirations likely plan years in advance, part of that planning is sculpting their tax returns to make them look good for public view.

I think the difference between most Republican tax returns and Democrat tax returns is......nothing. I think some people believe that Democrats are noble and they pay all kinds of money in taxes and give huge sums of money to charities, and repubs hide all their money and are stingy.

The truth is more likely that wealthy Democrats use the same deductions and loopholes that repubs do.

Speaking of loopholes, is there something else in Trump's old returns other than the offsetting of gains? Many, many people do this on a yearly basis. You don't have to be a billiionaire or millinaire to do this. I guess the thing that is garnering so much attention is just size of the write offs, which is irrelevent.

Already been debunked that was a draft of a memo that never went anywhere. The document, titled Congressional Access to Returns and Return Information which was reportedly written by a lawyer in the Office of Chief Counsel does not appear to be binding and is not the official position of the IRS the memo is unsigned and is stamped with the word “draft.

It actually is significant because it states the law perfectly except for the executive privilege. Clearly this was written by someone who did not play politics and it is unbiased. It was likely done by a career individual rather than a political appointee who is biased in favor of Trump.

Already been debunked that was a draft of a memo that never went anywhere. The document, titled Congressional Access to Returns and Return Information which was reportedly written by a lawyer in the Office of Chief Counsel does not appear to be binding and is not the official position of the IRS the memo is unsigned and is stamped with the word “draft.

It actually is significant because it states the law perfectly except for the executive privilege. Clearly this was written by someone who did not play politics and it is unbiased. It was likely done by a career individual rather than a political appointee who is biased in favor of Trump.
Or it was written by a biased political hack with an anti Trump bias we don't know what we do know is what was written is not the official policy of the IRS.

This isn't NAZI Germany.

If Chairman Trump's tax returns proved him right, if they made him look good he'd have them plastered all over the media.

If these witneses would make Chairman Trump look good you can bet the farm they'd be testifying.

DUH!

Make him look right about what exactly? Those returns have zero to do with his presidency.

The Commies only want them to try to embarrass Trump either by how much tax he paid or perhaps charity. There is no legislative or investigational reason for them to confiscate those records; they are personal.

This "You're in my town breathing my air" strategy by the Commies needs to stop and stop now. They don't belong in a Republic with organized government. They need to find a place like the former USSR where the vote of the people is meaningless just like they are trying to make our vote for President Trump meaningless.

It is Republicans who are trying to take away people's right to vote and if they do Republicans try to prevent the vote from being counted. You want to make the votes of people who vote against you invalid. The fact is that Congress has every right to perform its oversight duty.
When one lie fails... DEFLECT...

Hardly. The Republicans are trying to make people's votes meaningless by making it harder to vote. You are the lying Trump weasel. The last party to uswe this law was Republicans who received the tax returns of various liberal organizations and released them publicly.

This isn't NAZI Germany.

If Chairman Trump's tax returns proved him right, if they made him look good he'd have them plastered all over the media.

If these witneses would make Chairman Trump look good you can bet the farm they'd be testifying.

DUH!

Make him look right about what exactly? Those returns have zero to do with his presidency.

The Commies only want them to try to embarrass Trump either by how much tax he paid or perhaps charity. There is no legislative or investigational reason for them to confiscate those records; they are personal.

This "You're in my town breathing my air" strategy by the Commies needs to stop and stop now. They don't belong in a Republic with organized government. They need to find a place like the former USSR where the vote of the people is meaningless just like they are trying to make our vote for President Trump meaningless.

It is Republicans who are trying to take away people's right to vote and if they do Republicans try to prevent the vote from being counted. You want to make the votes of people who vote against you invalid. The fact is that Congress has every right to perform its oversight duty.
IT was a SCOTUS ruling... Sorry charlie...

The SCOTUS has not overturned the law.

Err..just to point out..that both the constitution and the law of the land support Congress's right to order the IRS to provide materials needed in an investigation.

Back at you..an Executive Order or Executive Privilege do not undo the law or the Constitution either.
Tell me again what their legislative need is?

There is no requirement for that in the law.
You are obviously ignorant of the law... I wont wast my time explaining it to you AGAIN!

This is the law we are talking about.

"
(f) Disclosure to Committees of Congress
(1) Committee on Ways and Means, Committee on Finance, and Joint Committee on Taxation

Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate, or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish such committee with any return or return information specified in such request, except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

(2) Chief of Staff of Joint Committee on Taxation
Upon written request by the Chief of Staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish him with any return or return information specified in such request. Such Chief of Staff may submit such return or return information to any committee described in paragraph (1), except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

(3) Other committees
Pursuant to an action by, and upon written request by the chairman of, a committee of the Senate or the House of Representatives (other than a committee specified in paragraph (1)) specially authorized to inspect any return or return information by a resolution of the Senate or the House of Representatives or, in the case of a joint committee (other than the joint committee specified in paragraph (1)) by concurrent resolution, the Secretary shall furnish such committee, or a duly authorized and designated subcommittee thereof, sitting in closed executive session, with any return or return information which such resolution authorizes the committee or subcommittee to inspect. Any resolution described in this paragraph shall specify the purpose for which the return or return information is to be furnished and that such information cannot reasonably be obtained from any other source."

There are np ifs ands or buts in the law. Try reading it for a change instead of making it up.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

You didn't post a link and the "law" doesn't even pertain to President Trump Taxes documents anyway.

Again read the 4th Amendment or read the House Investigative Rules you were shown in post 32, they don't support your delusions.

:dig:

Drop that shovel, you are getting too close to China.

The Constitution gives Congress the power of oversight and the 4th Amendment does not apply here. If Trump filed a tax return then it does apply. The Republicans used this law to get the tax returns of liberal organizations and released them publicly. You didn't seem to care about that. I suppose it is okay for your team to do it.

You people passed China a long time ago and are headed for the moon.

GOP hasn't taken the right of any legit voters' right to vote away. I get the fact that you're desperate and need a new lie to spread.

Oversight did not include in Fascist
powers to override the Bill of Rights.

Let's me make it easy for you: What would you say if Trump ordered the IRS and FBI to dig into every Democrat Leadership members taxes and private info for political reasons? Would you be okay with that?

The fact is that Congress has the oversight powers over the Executive Branch which includes the IRS. The fact is that Trump is not a private citizen and he is not under a criminal investigation. The Bill of Rights is a smokescreen. Trump is the one who wants Fascist powers. He wants to override the Constitutionally granted power of the purse that was given to Congress.

The IRS already has their taxes. The FBI is a law enforcement agency that has to meet certain legal standards. You are comparing apples and oranges.

The only exception the IRS says they have is if the president claims executive privilege.

The president can't legally claim that privilege for things that happened when he wasn't president and it only applies to matters with his cabinet and executive advisors.

That's on top of the fact that trump has not claimed it either.

Looks like the treasury secretary lied to congress. Again.

Secret IRS Legal Memo Says Trump's Tax Returns Must Be Handed Over to Congress – Mnuchin Lied and Refused
Actually, the President has the greatest reason in the world to claim Executive Privilege --

It's called 'National Security'.

For more than 3 Years Hillary and her team, the Obama administration, and now the Democrats in Congress have undermined this President and government and have and continue to attempt to conduct a political coup to reverse the results of the 2016 election.

3 years, 4 investigations, 100+ witnesses questioned, thousands of documents handed over, and the only prosecutable crimes that posed / pose a threat to our national security are the ones Democrats have and continue to perpetrate.

Nadler's and the Democrats' obsessive crusade to remove President Trump from office has been undeniably proven by not only the Chairman of the Judicial Committee' ordering the US AG to break the law but also holding the US AG in 'Contempt' for NOT obeying his demand to break the law.

The Chairman of the Judicial Committee and Speaker if the House ordering the top law enforcer in the United States to break the law and then punishing him for NOT breaking the law is an unprecedented assault on our Constitution and Rule of Law as well as a threat to our Democracy and National Security.

It shows the depths of their desperation and determination to remove this President of the United States.

HIGH-RANKING DEMOCRATS IN POSITIONS IF POWER WITHIN THE GOVT, ABUSING THEIR POSITIONS AND POWER demanding the US AG break the law and punishing him for not doing so also proves their actions have nothing to do with 'justice' or 'protecting this country's but is instead a mission to reversing the 2016 election results EVEN IF THEY HAVE TO VIOLATE THE CONSTITUTION AND RULE OF LAW TO SUCCESSFULLY CARRY OUT THEIR INITIAL FAILED COUP.

One of the continuing effect of their criminal course of action is the massive division tearing this country apart -- for the last 3 years the Trump-hating criminal Democrats have continued to successfully achieve what Russia's interference (that began in 2014) was intended to do divide this nation and undermine the President of the United States and the US Government.

This is proof the President has more than enough reason to fight the continuing Democrat attempt to affect what is in essence a political coup -- the removal of the President of United States from office...an effort that began the minute the winner of the 2016 election was announced.

The fact is that Trump has undermined himself. He has constantly lied and disregarded the Constitution. Voters oppose Trump's policies across the board. Trump thinks the DOJ and AG are there to protect him. He appoints people who sexually harasses women and in some cases sexually assaults them.

The fact is that the Mueller report is damning. Trump helped the Russians interfere in the Presidential race by giving them the campaign's strategy and internal polling data to someone tied into Russian Intelligence. They sought Russian help in getting dirt on Clinton. Roger Stone has ties to either WikiLeaks or Russians who hacked Podesta's e-mails. In addition Mueller was unable to exonerate Trump from potential obstruction of justice. Democrats were victimized by the Russian hacking and you want to make them the bad guy.

The fact is that Congress' oversight authority which is granted by the Constitution overrides any laws. The fact is that Congress as part of its oversight duties has the right to see the full unredacted report.

THE FACT IS THAT TRUMP IS IGNORING THE CONSTITUTION. HE DID SO WHEN HE IGNORED THE CONGRESS' CONSTITUTIONALLY GRANTED POWER OF THE PURSE. NOW HE IGNORES THEIR OVERSIGHT POWERS WHICH ARE CONSTITUTIONALLY GRANTED. The fact is that you ignore the Constitution when it is inconvenient for Trump but you rush to use the Constitution when you think it helps him.

Donald Trump is tearing this country apart. He is only worried about his far right wing base. Trump is the one who undermined himself. For example, he admitted he fired Comey after Rosenstein gave him a way out. He has appointed people to the courts who have sexually assaulted women. He has appointed people who refuse to call Brown vs the Board of Education settled law. Worth noting Gorsuch did that.

The only political coup going on is the massive power grab that Trump is trying to pull off aided by a corrupt AG.

The only exception the IRS says they have is if the president claims executive privilege.

The president can't legally claim that privilege for things that happened when he wasn't president and it only applies to matters with his cabinet and executive advisors.

That's on top of the fact that trump has not claimed it either.

Looks like the treasury secretary lied to congress. Again.

Secret IRS Legal Memo Says Trump's Tax Returns Must Be Handed Over to Congress – Mnuchin Lied and Refused
Actually, the President has the greatest reason in the world to claim Executive Privilege --

It's called 'National Security'.

For more than 3 Years Hillary and her team, the Obama administration, and now the Democrats in Congress have undermined this President and government and have and continue to attempt to conduct a political coup to reverse the results of the 2016 election.

3 years, 4 investigations, 100+ witnesses questioned, thousands of documents handed over, and the only prosecutable crimes that posed / pose a threat to our national security are the ones Democrats have and continue to perpetrate.

Nadler's and the Democrats' obsessive crusade to remove President Trump from office has been undeniably proven by not only the Chairman of the Judicial Committee' ordering the US AG to break the law but also holding the US AG in 'Contempt' for NOT obeying his demand to break the law.

The Chairman of the Judicial Committee and Speaker if the House ordering the top law enforcer in the United States to break the law and then punishing him for NOT breaking the law is an unprecedented assault on our Constitution and Rule of Law as well as a threat to our Democracy and National Security.

It shows the depths of their desperation and determination to remove this President of the United States.

HIGH-RANKING DEMOCRATS IN POSITIONS IF POWER WITHIN THE GOVT, ABUSING THEIR POSITIONS AND POWER demanding the US AG break the law and punishing him for not doing so also proves their actions have nothing to do with 'justice' or 'protecting this country's but is instead a mission to reversing the 2016 election results EVEN IF THEY HAVE TO VIOLATE THE CONSTITUTION AND RULE OF LAW TO SUCCESSFULLY CARRY OUT THEIR INITIAL FAILED COUP.

One of the continuing effect of their criminal course of action is the massive division tearing this country apart -- for the last 3 years the Trump-hating criminal Democrats have continued to successfully achieve what Russia's interference (that began in 2014) was intended to do divide this nation and undermine the President of the United States and the US Government.

This is proof the President has more than enough reason to fight the continuing Democrat attempt to affect what is in essence a political coup -- the removal of the President of United States from office...an effort that began the minute the winner of the 2016 election was announced.

The fact is that Trump has undermined himself. He has constantly lied and disregarded the Constitution. Voters oppose Trump's policies across the board. Trump thinks the DOJ and AG are there to protect him. He appoints people who sexually harasses women and in some cases sexually assaults them.

The fact is that the Mueller report is damning. Trump helped the Russians interfere in the Presidential race by giving them the campaign's strategy and internal polling data to someone tied into Russian Intelligence. They sought Russian help in getting dirt on Clinton. Roger Stone has ties to either WikiLeaks or Russians who hacked Podesta's e-mails. In addition Mueller was unable to exonerate Trump from potential obstruction of justice. Democrats were victimized by the Russian hacking and you want to make them the bad guy.

The fact is that Congress' oversight authority which is granted by the Constitution overrides any laws. The fact is that Congress as part of its oversight duties has the right to see the full unredacted report.

THE FACT IS THAT TRUMP IS IGNORING THE CONSTITUTION. HE DID SO WHEN HE IGNORED THE CONGRESS' CONSTITUTIONALLY GRANTED POWER OF THE PURSE. NOW HE IGNORES THEIR OVERSIGHT POWERS WHICH ARE CONSTITUTIONALLY GRANTED. The fact is that you ignore the Constitution when it is inconvenient for Trump but you rush to use the Constitution when you think it helps him.

Donald Trump is tearing this country apart. He is only worried about his far right wing base. Trump is the one who undermined himself. For example, he admitted he fired Comey after Rosenstein gave him a way out. He has appointed people to the courts who have sexually assaulted women. He has appointed people who refuse to call Brown vs the Board of Education settled law. Worth noting Gorsuch did that.

The only political coup going on is the massive power grab that Trump is trying to pull off aided by a corrupt AG.

THE FACT IS THAT TRUMP IS IGNORING THE CONSTITUTION. HE DID SO WHEN HE IGNORED THE CONGRESS' CONSTITUTIONALLY GRANTED POWER OF THE PURSE.

So you agree Obama Care is unconstitutional, the bill started in the Senate.

Check

GOP hasn't taken the right of any legit voters' right to vote away. I get the fact that you're desperate and need a new lie to spread.

Oversight did not include in Fascist
powers to override the Bill of Rights.

Let's me make it easy for you: What would you say if Trump ordered the IRS and FBI to dig into every Democrat Leadership members taxes and private info for political reasons? Would you be okay with that?

The fact is that Congress has the oversight powers over the Executive Branch which includes the IRS. The fact is that Trump is not a private citizen and he is not under a criminal investigation. The Bill of Rights is a smokescreen. Trump is the one who wants Fascist powers. He wants to override the Constitutionally granted power of the purse that was given to Congress.

The IRS already has their taxes. The FBI is a law enforcement agency that has to meet certain legal standards. You are comparing apples and oranges.

What bill do they have drafted that they need info from Trump's tax returns for?

Trump admitted in the fucking opening of his fucking TV show that he fuming lost Billions of dollars in Real Estate before making a comeback.

What is the big goddamn secret, you morons? What do you want to find in the tax returns?

Trump Freely Admits in Old Video: 'I Was Billions of Dollars in Debt' About 13 Years Ago

"I'm Donald Trump and I'm the largest real estate developer in New York. I own buildings all over the place, model agencies, the Miss Universe Pageant, jetliners, golf courses, casinos, and private resorts like Mar-a-Lago -- one of the most spectacular estates anywhere in the world," the bombastic billionaire boasted. "But it wasn't always so easy. About thirteen years ago, I was seriously in trouble. I was billions of dollars in debt. But I fought back and I won -- big league!"

If they get all Trump's taxes then it should be made a law for all future presidents-fair is fair.

It's nothing more than their continued attempt to harass the President because he's doing such a great job. The more he focuses on the country, the better job he does.

While the Democrats are trying to put as many road blocks for Trump as they can, I pray that the Republicans don't have a short memory, and make the next Democrat Presidents life a living hell just like they are trying to do to Trump now.
i'd much rather break this cycle of revenge politics and get back to focus on building things up, not tearing things down.

This isn't NAZI Germany.
Err..just to point out..that both the constitution and the law of the land support Congress's right to order the IRS to provide materials needed in an investigation.

Back at you..an Executive Order or Executive Privilege do not undo the law or the Constitution either.
Tell me again what their legislative need is?

There is no requirement for that in the law.
You are obviously ignorant of the law... I wont wast my time explaining it to you AGAIN!

This is the law we are talking about.

"
(f) Disclosure to Committees of Congress
(1) Committee on Ways and Means, Committee on Finance, and Joint Committee on Taxation

Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate, or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish such committee with any return or return information specified in such request, except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

(2) Chief of Staff of Joint Committee on Taxation
Upon written request by the Chief of Staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish him with any return or return information specified in such request. Such Chief of Staff may submit such return or return information to any committee described in paragraph (1), except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

(3) Other committees
Pursuant to an action by, and upon written request by the chairman of, a committee of the Senate or the House of Representatives (other than a committee specified in paragraph (1)) specially authorized to inspect any return or return information by a resolution of the Senate or the House of Representatives or, in the case of a joint committee (other than the joint committee specified in paragraph (1)) by concurrent resolution, the Secretary shall furnish such committee, or a duly authorized and designated subcommittee thereof, sitting in closed executive session, with any return or return information which such resolution authorizes the committee or subcommittee to inspect. Any resolution described in this paragraph shall specify the purpose for which the return or return information is to be furnished and that such information cannot reasonably be obtained from any other source."

There are np ifs ands or buts in the law. Try reading it for a change instead of making it up.
there is no requirement for trump to provide his taxes in order to be president.

the dems are on a fishing expedition and trump is likely saying "NO" not because he's hiding anything (but he could be - the IRS would have had to miss it however and they don't miss) but because he's trolling the left as long as he can.

if you want presidential candidates to provide tax history, then follow due process of law and build that into the system for the future and see if you can get it through. otherwise this is just whining ass bullshit from the left crying out for anything they can to auto-victimize themselves.

This isn't NAZI Germany.

All you do is spin....I asked s direct question...I'll give you another chance to answer...and to be honest with yourself.

Forum List

Back