Is a business allowed to violate civil rights?

:lol: OK dude, whatever. What the fuck are you even talking about?

By describing how congress can pass laws, and giving the president power to enforce those laws, as directed by congress, it provides for its own enforcement. Did you think all that stuff just happened by magic?

Actually Quantum, the 14th amendment has an entire section that says "The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article." Its section 5.

In fact, Amendments 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 23, 24, and 26 all have similar sections.

The reason these sections are needed is because in order to enforce those amendments through legislation, Congress needed power not granted to it in Article I Section 8.

War is now a punishment for breaking the law? What law did Iraq break again?

The United States has full legal authority to put down a rebellion with military force. Its called sovereignty. Deal with it.

I take that back, I and my family were personally denied service in a restaurant back in 1992. We had traveled to Nashville TN for vacation and driven out to Memphis and down into Mississippi to see the country. In Mississippi, first town south of the TN border, I can't recall the name we stopped at a restaurant for a late lunch. We entered the restaurant, it was very dark and sat down and waited.

After a few minutes, a waitress yelled at us, "Can I help you?". She didn't come to the table she hollered across the room and I said we wanted some lunch. Well, she basically told us we should go to the White side of town for lunch. Believe me, I got the hint and was somewhat saddened by the incident. I would have enjoyed having a few minutes to talk with her. I told her we were from California and didn't know... and left. She was by no means rude, but the message was clear, we did not belong in that area. I have always written that off as a friendly warning from her and like I said, I wish that I had had the opportunity to talk with her and the people in the restaurant.

Immie
Hanging with people of your own kind may be considered racism to some extent and I agree that it happened when I was there, but hanging out with your friends and people like you, is not the same as being denied access to other peoples or the places that they eat at, IMHO.

Immie

So tell me, why did you leave, because there was a sign that said no whites? And why didn't you stay?

Was it discrimination? Did you feel like your civil rights had been denied or offended?

Or did you just feel like they were idiots and take your business and money elsewhere?

I left because I didn't feel safe.

The way she said it, was more or less like a warning. Like, "you don't belong in this restaurant and if you don't leave I'm not responsible for your safety". I had two little girls with me, I think I said it was 1992, it had to be earlier than that now that I think about as my youngest daughter was less than two and she was born in 1987.

Were my rights violated? I'd have to say in some respect, yes, but I think she would have served us if we had insisted on it. I didn't feel like they were idiots. I felt like maybe I was a little naive not realizing that there is still racial tension in the South even in the late 1980's.

As for a sign like you mentioned, I don't know if there was a sign. The room was very dark almost like a bar.

Immie

Which allows them to discriminate, this violating someone's civil rights. I believe that was the essence of your question.
No...they are discriminating on ability to pay for expensive jewelry. That isn't a civil right.

Really? So you are assuming by what someone looks like if they can afford your products? Interesting that you should think so.

Unfortunately, too many are taught that way. :(

I have got a question.

Why would someone who is being "discriminated" against want to spend their money in a business that doesn't want them?

Because they are ass hole idiots? Or because they love watching those who would "discriminate" grind their teeth?

The best way to get your way is to dry up the money. So do patronize businesses that you "think" are "discriminating" pretty simple if you ask me.

As to restaurants I would love to discriminate, and not allow children in! Noisy annoying filthy little fuckers that they are. Is that discriminating? Does that have anything to do color?

Question, if a fire department is captained by a black buy and the fire alarm goes of at Joe Bob's Waffle and No Blacks Allowed, Flap Jack Shop. What if that black captains says, hell no, we wont put that fire out...they don't want us to eat there, they can burn...

Same principle with the cops.

Then what?

See a little problem with all this?

I'd say let the place burn, but then you didn't read those words from my fingertips. :D And personally, I don't care if the captain of the fire department is black or white, let the place burn to the ground.

I'd say make sure that everyone got out safely and then let the place burn down.

Immie

Which allows them to discriminate, this violating someone's civil rights. I believe that was the essence of your question.
No...they are discriminating on ability to pay for expensive jewelry. That isn't a civil right.

Really? So you are assuming by what someone looks like if they can afford your products? Interesting that you should think so.
I don't see where Ravi said that. You are making assumptions.

How exactly does this supposed jewelry store handle it's by appointment business?

I guess we'd need to know that first.

I for one, would like to know the name of this store.

Another thing to keep in mind is the individual Stated entered the Union under different terms. One would need to search individual charters or State Constitutions to determine if there are even grounds to pursue further.

Loved what Jefferson with the Kentucky Resolution. He didn't pull punches like my hero Madison. When dealing with shit heads like Hamilton/Dr.Jeckle/Mr.Hyde/Gollum;), one must come on hard. From what I hear from Puerto Rico, they might be leaning more towards Independence than Statehood, in spite of political claims.

How exactly does this supposed jewelry store handle it's by appointment business?

Around here there are many small stores that you have to get buzzed into, that includes some jewelry stores. Service industry is by appointment. Delivery can be. Medical. Dentistry. Lawyer. Accountant.

Secession can't be legal without self-determination, JB.

the act or power of making up one's own mind about what to think or do, without outside influence or compulsion

There is no self-determination if you own slaves...Self-determination back in the day was only for WASP males.

Sucks to be you.

Give it a rest.

How do they decide if you can afford to buy that jewelry? If they base that judgement on the appearance of their customers then they would be justified in doing so. If a police officer does the exact same thing, using exactly the same criteria of that jewelry store, he would be guilty of violating someone's civil rights.
I think they run a credit check or get personal references.

Actually, you're assuming that that's what I think. LOL!

Actually, you're assuming that that's what I think. LOL!

You are just too mysterious for your own good Ravi ;).
Yep. :lol: At least I've finally solved the question of the legality of the Civil War to my own satisfaction. Awesome, two things in one thread...I might just get certified as a genius.

I have got a question.

Why would someone who is being "discriminated" against want to spend their money in a business that doesn't want them?

Because the nearest hotel that "wants" them is a 10 mile walk.

They really don't think through the real world realities of what it used to be like for some people, and for some strange reason, want to return to those days.

Most Americans find those kind of views abhorrent.

Cons. As usual, on the wrong side of history.

What's bizarre is the number of wackos here who want things to be like they were in 1955. nutters. they don't even realize how bizarre they sound.

Because the nearest hotel that "wants" them is a 10 mile walk.
They really don't think through the real world realities of what it used to be like for some people, and for some strange reason, want to return to those days.

Most Americans find those kind of views abhorrent.

Cons. As usual, on the wrong side of history.

What's bizarre is the number of wackos here who want things to be like they were in 1955. nutters. they don't even realize how bizarre they sound.

There are somethings Jillian.... like change of a $100.00. ;)
A great piece of cheese cake. ;)
We all wish the sex would stay good. ;)
M&M's should never go away. ;)
One person, one vote. ;)
I wish red light ticket camera's would go away. ;)
Certain recipes shouldn't be dicked with. ;)
Freedom of Speech. ;)
Due Process. ;)
Freedom of Religion. ;)
The Right to Self Defense. ;)

How about Private property? I know some that still respect that.

Boy the way Glen Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days....

Boy the way Glen Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days....

Eddie And The Cruisers! :cool: Great job word man! ;) :woohoo:

Last edited:

wipe your glasses off and rub your eyes and look and ravi's post/quote.
That is exactly what ravi said.

wipe your glasses off and rub your eyes and look and ravi's post/quote.
That is exactly what ravi said.
Someone's got to do some rubbing, and it ain't me sista.

Actually Quantum, the 14th amendment has an entire section that says "The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article." Its section 5.

In fact, Amendments 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 23, 24, and 26 all have similar sections.

The reason these sections are needed is because in order to enforce those amendments through legislation, Congress needed power not granted to it in Article I Section 8.

Are you trying to claim that Congress has no power to pass a law unless it is specifically spelled out in one of the amendments? Doesn't that put you on my side of the argument?

The United States has full legal authority to put down a rebellion with military force. Its called sovereignty. Deal with it.

Just like they did in Iraq.

The business I described lets people who knock into their front door after they knock, based on whatever criteria they use. What other criteria is available to someone looking at me through a Plexiglas door? Can they check my credit rating using facial recognition software? If so, I can make a pretty strong case that that is a violation of my civil rights.

I take that back, I and my family were personally denied service in a restaurant back in 1992. We had traveled to Nashville TN for vacation and driven out to Memphis and down into Mississippi to see the country. In Mississippi, first town south of the TN border, I can't recall the name we stopped at a restaurant for a late lunch. We entered the restaurant, it was very dark and sat down and waited.

After a few minutes, a waitress yelled at us, "Can I help you?". She didn't come to the table she hollered across the room and I said we wanted some lunch. Well, she basically told us we should go to the White side of town for lunch. Believe me, I got the hint and was somewhat saddened by the incident. I would have enjoyed having a few minutes to talk with her. I told her we were from California and didn't know... and left. She was by no means rude, but the message was clear, we did not belong in that area. I have always written that off as a friendly warning from her and like I said, I wish that I had had the opportunity to talk with her and the people in the restaurant.

Immie
Hanging with people of your own kind may be considered racism to some extent and I agree that it happened when I was there, but hanging out with your friends and people like you, is not the same as being denied access to other peoples or the places that they eat at, IMHO.

Immie

So tell me, why did you leave, because there was a sign that said no whites? And why didn't you stay?

Was it discrimination? Did you feel like your civil rights had been denied or offended?

Or did you just feel like they were idiots and take your business and money elsewhere?

I left because I didn't feel safe.

The way she said it, was more or less like a warning. Like, "you don't belong in this restaurant and if you don't leave I'm not responsible for your safety". I had two little girls with me, I think I said it was 1992, it had to be earlier than that now that I think about as my youngest daughter was less than two and she was born in 1987.

Were my rights violated? I'd have to say in some respect, yes, but I think she would have served us if we had insisted on it. I didn't feel like they were idiots. I felt like maybe I was a little naive not realizing that there is still racial tension in the South even in the late 1980's.

As for a sign like you mentioned, I don't know if there was a sign. The room was very dark almost like a bar.

Immie

Sorry to put you on the spot like that Immie, but the point I was trying to get out of you was discrimination or not, Civil rights or not, your left and took your business elsewhere.

Your were more or less told you were"in the wrong place." Interesting since it seems as many here only think that kind of treatment goes one way. Thank you for sharing your first hand experience.

Face up to it folks, your pet discrimination civil rights issues goes both ways.

Good for you Immie! I wouldn't patronize a business where I wasn't welcomed either OR one that participated in treating customers like that!

Forum List

Back