Is Atheism Depressing?

The old saying "no atheist in the foxholes" is an accurate assessment of the psychological conditions of soft core atheists. It's convenient to not worry about the after life if real life offers a variety of sinful excesses but when the manure hits the rotary blades who 'ya gonna call? You can bet your fragile asses that you are going to call on the big "G" of your choice.

I was an atheist in foxholes and a wounded combat vet. Not once did I callout in any way to any divine spirit.

So....was cell division a fantasy before it was proveable?

No, of course not.

Fucking retard.

The old saying "no atheist in the foxholes" is an accurate assessment of the psychological conditions of soft core atheists. It's convenient to not worry about the after life if real life offers a variety of sinful excesses but when the manure hits the rotary blades who 'ya gonna call? You can bet your fragile asses that you are going to call on the big "G" of your choice.

I was an atheist in foxholes and a wounded combat vet. Not once did I callout in any way to any divine spirit.

Good for you.

Likewise, God will not call you back from the bank of the pit.

No, of course not.

Fucking retard.

of course it was. Evil spirits and sins used to be considered the cause of disease.

Letting bad blood out was considered good treatment up into the 1800's.

the Salem witch trials?

Just curious, what do atheists yell during sex? :tongue:

Okay sorry about that interruption. Sometimes those fingers of mine overrule the brain. :eusa_angel:

No, of course not.

Fucking retard.

of course it was. Evil spirits and sins used to be considered the cause of disease.

the Salem witch trials?

?

How on earth is that an answer to my question?

Was cell division a fantasy before we were able to see it?

Just because it gets dark earlier is no excuse to start drinking at 3 pm ppl.

Can you name a christian group today that is targeting and killing people for not being of the correct faith?

No, you can't.

History is soaked in the blood of Christians who have been killed for being Christian.

The only evidence of Christians seeking out and killing non-Christians is the Crusades...a thousand years ago, and a crap example because they were political movements undertaken in response to attacks on CHRISTIANS.

The Crusades were a war for the survival of Europe. The Muslims invaded and the pope responded. IF he had not, Europe would have fallen and we'd all be bowing to the idol in Mecca. Urban II is one of the greatest men in history - he LITERALLY saved civilization.

Just curious, what do atheists yell during sex? :tongue:

Okay sorry about that interruption. Sometimes those fingers of mine overrule the brain. :eusa_angel:

Oh, science! Oh, science! :) Reminds me of that South Park episode where Cartman goes to the future and three atheist groups are fighting over what they should call their group.

To answer the original question, no. It is not. In fact, I would say that Christianity is more depressing. You have to believe in a god who created you with this nature he finds repulsive and expects you to live up to a standard you cannot possibly live up to. Any human who acted like the god of the Bible would be rightly condemned.

Personally, I'm glad he isn't real.

Just because it gets dark earlier is no excuse to start drinking at 3 pm ppl.

I am at work if that crack was directed at me. Sorry I offended you.

Naw, it was for the poster who generated this garbled mess:

"of course it was. Evil spirits and sins used to be considered the cause of disease.

the Salem witch trials? "

:eusa_eh::eusa_eh::eusa_eh::eusa_eh:

No, of course not.

Fucking retard.

the Salem witch trials?

?

How on earth is that an answer to my question?

Was cell division a fantasy before we were able to see it?

It was a fantasy as far as we being able to explain what was happening.
Cells were beyond our understanding. Things just grew.
If you cannot understand then you are beyond my capability to explain to you.

Last edited:
I respect everybody's beliefs.

Having said that ... it must be sad not to believe in anything greater than we are!

I personally do believe in something ... I am not too set in what it is though ... I don't want to be too disappointed once I get there if it so happens it wasn't what I expected! :tongue:

Hard core religious atheists (is that an oxymoron?) are a separate breed and fools who think they never called out to a supreme being when they were in serious (not John Kerry finger prick combat trouble) are equally in denial.

Having said that ... it must be sad not to believe in anything greater than we are!

I personally do believe in something ... I am not too set in what it is though ... I don't want to be too disappointed once I get there if it so happens it wasn't what I expected! :tongue:

I see. So if I were to tell you that I believe children should be treated to cigarette burns twice daily as a healthy form of discipline you would respect that?

Hard core religious atheists (is that an oxymoron?) are a separate breed and fools who think they never called out to a supreme being when they were in serious (not John Kerry finger prick combat trouble) are equally in denial.

I've never understood the "no atheists in foxholes" bit. Nearly all people in the midst of grave fear are likely to pray or reach out to a deity. I get that. I just don't understand what that is supposed to mean.

I guess one premise is that it proves the existence of God. Another would be that belief in a deity is inherently human. Either way, it is logically the same argument as saying that if a bank teller with a gun pointed at her head opened a safe for the robber holding the gun that it means she condones bank robbery. It's a flimsy argument that should probably be eliminated from the proselytizer's arsenal.

I see. So if I were to tell you that I believe children should be treated to cigarette burns twice daily as a healthy form of discipline you would respect that?

It doesn't take a genius to work out that I am only talking about positive, sensible, humane and common sense belief!

Let's not get too silly about this, shall we?

I've never understood the "no atheists in foxholes" bit. Nearly all people in the midst of grave fear are likely to pray or reach out to a deity. I get that. I just don't understand what that is supposed to mean.

I guess one premise is that it proves the existence of God. Another would be that belief in a deity is inherently human. Either way, it is logically the same argument as saying that if a bank teller with a gun pointed at her head opened a safe for the robber holding the gun that it means she condones bank robbery. It's a flimsy argument that should probably be eliminated from the proselytizer's arsenal.

I never once reached out to a deity in a foxhole, nor do I know of anyone who did who did not do so out of a foxhole. That old saw is just not true. The most typical in prayer in those moments of real fear is "Oh shit! Oh shit! Oh shit!".

Forum List

Back