Is automatic voter registration Unconstitutional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the Constitution does not give the power of elections to the Feds, but to the states.

And the state registering anyone for anything without permission is as well.

If people want to vote they can register easily enough. We don't need the state doing shit like this.

Besides there is no evidence that this bullshit increases participation

Good thing they are not doing that.
Of course they are what else is automatic voter registration?

Besides that voter rolls are too easily accessed by the public where your DMV information has more protections for your privacy so the DMV should not be automatically forwarding your shit to any other agency that does not have the same protections.

When it comes to registering to vote in the United States, the burden has traditionally been on the individual: If you’re eligible to vote, it’s up to you to take the proactive steps needed to register. An increasingly popular policy called automatic voter registration, or AVR, flips that model.

As regular readers know, the idea is exactly what it sounds like: Under the policy, states automatically register eligible voters who interact with state agencies — such as getting a driver’s license — shifting the burden away from the individual. Those who want to withdraw from the system can do so voluntarily without penalty, but otherwise, Americans in states that adopt AVR are simply added to the voters rolls as a matter of course.

It’s a familiar policy in many advanced democracies, and slowly but surely, the United States is catching up. Last week, Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro announced that automatic voter registration is coming to the Keystone State, and the Democrat has plenty of company: According to the tally from the National Conference of State Legislatures, Pennsylvania is the 24th state, plus the District of Columbia, to adopt AVR.

Repubs hate it when citizens exercise their right to vote.

Canadians have a box on their Income Tax Returns to tick if you want your name added to the local voter rolls.

You can also register the day of voting, which I did when I moved into a different voting district, less than a month before the federal election. I took my birth certificate and a copy of my electric bill to prove residence in the country, to the polling station and voted.

Republicans only started to hate voters when they stopped being the "party of ideas" and became the "Party of No". When they started voting against ANYTHING Democrats proposed, for political reasons. When their voters started "primarying" anyone who voted with the Democrats - even as they tout the benefits of Democratic policies to their voters, which the Republicans voted against.

Canadians have a box on their Income Tax Returns to tick if you want your name added to the local voter rolls.

You can also register the day of voting, which I did when I moved into a different voting district, less than a month before the federal election. I took my birth certificate and a copy of my electric bill to prove residence in the country, to the polling station and voted.

Republicans only started to hate voters when they stopped being the "party of ideas" and became the "Party of No". When they started voting against ANYTHING Democrats proposed, for political reasons. When their voters started "primarying" anyone who voted with the Democrats - even as they tout the benefits of Democratic policies to their voters, which the Republicans voted against.
That is an opt in system which isn;t an issue.

It's the automatic enrollment that you have to opt out of that is the issue

Yes, and the PA state legislature authorized the governor to implement it that way.
hahah no they didn't, it was an EO...the legislature doesn't authorize EO
Now you are just lying to try and cover for the fact you are an idiot, and jumped on a thread about a topic you are clueless about

hahah no they didn't, it was an EO...the legislature doesn't authorize EO
Now you are just lying to try and cover for the fact you are an idiot, and jumped on a thread about a topic you are clueless about

Shapiro says the legislature authorized the governor to implement it that way.

I guess we will find out which one is telling the truth, eventually.

So the US is ”catching up” but we continue to fall behind with regards to voter id. Funny how that works.
Because more people voting is far more important. Voters ID is a concession to people who really just want to reduce turnout. Like, Republicans.

And the state registering anyone for anything without permission is as well.

If people want to vote they can register easily enough. We don't need the state doing shit like this.

Besides there is no evidence that this bullshit increases participation
If you don't want to vote, just don't vote.

Why are we even playing this game with the right wingers?

They want to reduce turnout. We all know why.

That is their objection to this.

Why are we even playing this game with the right wingers?

They want to reduce turnout. We all know why.

That is their objection to this.
well they want to reduce dembot turnout...yeah, obviously we know why, they don't want dembots voting for people like Xiden, who's policies have made a record number of Americans worse off then before he was elected.

If you don't want to vote, just don't vote.

How about if I want to vote then I'll register to vote. Why does the state think it can publish my information on a voter list that just about anyone can use to get personal information about me without my permission?

In lots of states anyone can get your name age DOB phone number and address from the voter lists and use it for any purpose they want.

The state has no right to put that information there without my consent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back