Is Global Warming Caused By Man????

And... so... human metabolism is responsible for global warming?
correlations don't count crickster, never have, and is the ongoing argument, so just prove that humans cause warming. That's your challenge you have continuously failed to prove.

Of course correlations count. How would we know where to look in the first place without them? The problem with climate science is that the agenda has been set according to IPCC who by definition is looking for man-made causes.

The error bars in cloud understanding swamps the tiny contribution of CO2.

correlations don't count crickster, never have, and is the ongoing argument, so just prove that humans cause warming. That's your challenge you have continuously failed to prove.

Of course correlations count. How would we know where to look in the first place without them? The problem with climate science is that the agenda has been set according to IPCC who by definition is looking for man-made causes.

The error bars in cloud understanding swamps the tiny contribution of CO2.
because two things exist at the same time is not necessarily correlation. One does not mean it causes the other. Did climate cause humans to exist? Oh wait, evolution, is that climate? hmmmmmm.

Does man cause climate? No, it existed before man. So now we're left with causation of CO2, which no one can prove other than Herr Koch.

As usual.

I butter my toast at 8 AM this morning, 31 Dec 15. At midnight, the night of September 22nd, 1757, the Duchess of Kardashia was thrown from her horse despite its especially accommodating saddle.. Could my toast buttering be responsible? No. Why not? No correlation.

I finish buttering my toast and set it on its plate. At that exact moment, my cat and my dog, laying near each other in the other room, have a short sharp spat. There was a correlation, but all the other evidence suggests there was no cause and effect.

For a cause to have an effect, there must be some form of correlation between them. Cause cannot act to produce effect without it. But meaningless correlations take place all the time. What's a thinking person to do. Listen to Ian. Correlations are where you LOOK for causes. Do you understand?

Global Temperature Trends Since 2500 B.C. This is relevant to the discussion of the causes for global warming. As you can see, the Earth went through several warming and cooling cycles even before men were burning fossil fuels. It's a natural consequence of the interaction of the Sun with our atmosphere. The Sun is not always the same temperature, so the climate of the Earth will change, too.
What so hard to understand about the addition of a new variable (human emissions, esp. since the Industrial Revolution) having an effect that can't be predicted solely by looking to the past?

But when you look into the past and see more of the same that we are seeing today....why would you suddenly ascribe a new cause to the same old thing?

Cute the way the ipcc puts CO2 into the long lived greenhouse gasses category (which it isn't) and they don't dare compare the fake greenhouse effect of CO2 to the fake greenhouse effect of water.

What did humans do the last time the carbon was at 800 PPM? Oh wait..

Last time CO2 was at 800ppm would have been just before the earth descended into an ice age....so much for the idea that CO2 causes warming.

Look folks as with most things the truth lies in the middle of the extremes

Do we have a tangible effect on climate?

I think the answer is of course we do

I do not think we know to what extent the minor warming we are seeing is a result of human activity or natural phenomenon

And if the earth is a couple degrees warmer it will not be the death sentence that one extreme thinks but there will be some undeniable results

The fact is we really don't know what those will be yet

One thing I do know is that it won't be the end of the planet or of the human race. There will be winners and losers just like there is with all change but nothing more

You step away from your admirable intellectual centrism when you characterize the warming observed as "minor".

No one in mainstream science is predicting the death of the human species. There will be deaths, though. They've already happened and they will be increasing as the temperature (and the sea level and the average intensity of storms and the incidence of flooding and drought) increase.

The changes that we face differ in character and magnitude from any that humanity has till now ever faced. There will be a great many more losers than winners.

As usual.

I butter my toast at 8 AM this morning, 31 Dec 15. At midnight, the night of September 22nd, 1757, the Duchess of Kardashia was thrown from her horse despite its especially accommodating saddle.. Could my toast buttering be responsible? No. Why not? No correlation.

I finish buttering my toast and set it on its plate. At that exact moment, my cat and my dog, laying near each other in the other room, have a short sharp spat. There was a correlation, but all the other evidence suggests there was no cause and effect.

For a cause to have an effect, there must be some form of correlation between them. Cause cannot act to produce effect without it. But meaningless correlations take place all the time. What's a thinking person to do. Listen to Ian. Correlations are where you LOOK for causes. Do you understand?
I have but one question, can you prove warming is caused by man?

And no answer should say that because man is on earth, therefore man does, that is merely a correlation. I know there's man and I know there is earth. We exist because of earth, but earth does not exist because of man.

Global Temperature Trends Since 2500 B.C. This is relevant to the discussion of the causes for global warming. As you can see, the Earth went through several warming and cooling cycles even before men were burning fossil fuels. It's a natural consequence of the interaction of the Sun with our atmosphere. The Sun is not always the same temperature, so the climate of the Earth will change, too.
What so hard to understand about the addition of a new variable (human emissions, esp. since the Industrial Revolution) having an effect that can't be predicted solely by looking to the past?

But when you look into the past and see more of the same that we are seeing today....why would you suddenly ascribe a new cause to the same old thing?

Because a new cause is present and those causes we've seen in the past are not.

Because the current change is far more rapid than what is seen in the past and thus begs a different cause.

Because the correlation with that new cause is far greater than its correlation with any other known cause.

Because empirical evidence, but the butt-ton-load, indicate the effect is due to the new cause and not the old causes.

Because calculations of the forcing effect of the new cause match observations.

Because a forcing effect can be calculated from the new cause and unless it is the cause of the observed warming, our understanding of basic physics needs review.

That's why.

Because a new cause is present and those causes we've seen in the past are not?

Because the current change is far more rapid than what is seen in the past and thus begs a different cause?

Because calculations of the forcing effect of the new cause match observations?

Because a forcing effect can be calculated from the new cause and unless it is the cause of the observed warming, our understanding of basic physics needs review.

That's why.
Still stuck on correlation I see.

Global warming is not correlation

What is your empirical evidence and what contention do you believe it supports?

FOR SSDD

QUOTE="SSDD, post: 13151038, member: 40906"]

Because a new cause is present and those causes we've seen in the past are not.

Because the current change is far more rapid than what is seen in the past and thus begs a different cause.

Because the correlation with that new cause is far greater than its correlation with any other known cause.

Because empirical evidence, but the butt-ton-load, indicate the effect is due to the new cause and not the old causes.

Because calculations of the forcing effect of the new cause match observations.

That's why.[/QUOTE]

You step away from your admirable intellectual centrism when you characterize the warming observed as "minor".

No one in mainstream science is predicting the death of the human species. There will be deaths, though. They've already happened and they will be increasing as the temperature (and the sea level and the average intensity of storms and the incidence of flooding and drought) increase.

The changes that we face differ in character and magnitude from any that humanity has till now ever faced. There will be a great many more losers than winners.

less than 2 degrees is minor

And if you seriously think there isn't ant biblical disaster, save the human race save the planet rhetoric then you're selectively cherry picking the statements of the extreme

Here's a news flash

Chances are it won't be as bad as you people think the human race will in no way be threatened with extinction and the earth will be here long after humans are extinct

We'll be just fine if the earth is a couple degrees warmer

There is no biblical-scale warming coming out of mainstream science.

I have not heard ANYONE, even extremists, suggest extinction of the species.

Two degrees warmer will NOT be "just fine".

But let me emphasize that I do appreciate where you're headed. Reasonableness is always a good heading to take.

Forum List

Back