is it appropriate for obama to call the police stupid?

The police dropped charges. Clearly they knew at the time of the arrest that Gates was the homeowner, not an intruder. They wanted to teach him a lesson. A waste of tax payer money.

gates doesn't own the home.
So he's the tenant. That make any difference?

in whether or not he's a pompous asshole who's used to having his ass kissed and getting his own way?

probably not.

in whether or not he's a pompous asshole who's used to having his ass kissed and getting his own way?

probably not.

After reading the part about offering lessons on racism in America, the guy seems to be a pompous asshole. Especially since he's pretty much calling the cop racist. What did he expect the cop to do? Just walk away after Gates says he lived there without any identification? :eusa_eh:

The police dropped charges. Clearly they knew at the time of the arrest that Gates was the homeowner, not an intruder. They wanted to teach him a lesson. A waste of tax payer money.

no intimidation involved??? in that decision doyathink???:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
No, I don't think. The Cambridge police saw there was no point in going further. The officer had gone far enough. Good thing they had the common sense to drop charges. Charging Gates with whatever the officer might have had in mind would not have made Cambridge a safer city.

probably not.

After reading the part about offering lessons on racism in America, the guy seems to be a pompous asshole. Especially since he's pretty much calling the cop racist. What did he expect the cop to do? Just walk away after Gates says he lived there without any identification? :eusa_eh:
That he called the cop racist has been disputed. He did show the cop ID. It's the cop who wouldn't show ID.

probably not.

That he called the cop racist has been disputed. He did show the cop ID. It's the cop who wouldn't show ID.

yeah, by gates. :lol:

I'm referring to the fact that instead of a apology, him offering lessons on racism in America's history is basically calling the cop racist. As if he's going to teach him that being racist is wrong. Maybe I'm taking it wrong though. :eusa_eh:

I just read this editorial and think the author makes a very good point about the responsibility of the police to not let their egos get involved. They are the professionals in these situations. That Gates is threatening a lawsuit is no more silly than for the officer to have brought him to the station in handcuffs.

Still, confrontations with police seldom end well, even if officers are in the wrong. If Gates believed he was being treated discourteously, he could have filed a complaint with the police department’s section for professional standards. Ultimately, though, it was the officer’s responsibility to de-escalate the situation, even by walking away. Police are trained specifically to ignore verbal provocations that come their way.

Cambridge police are well-regarded in the profession for dealing sensitively with the public, according to Northeastern University criminologist Jack McDevitt, a national expert on racial profiling. But even that department needs a reminder that its job is to keep the peace, not to spar with citizens who pose no risk to public safety.

A professor’s arrest - The Boston Globe

When it comes to blacks, they only know two words to call the police. Stupid and racist. The thing that worries me now about Obama is that the next time he happens to go to Alabama, those state troopers down there might do a bit of racial profiling and pull his motorcade over. Hey, just because he's traveling in a motorcade doesn't really mean he's the President... They might want to ask him if they are stupid.:lol:

Cause that's not racist or anything. :rolleyes:

Not when it is the truth. The evidence is everywhere. On this board we have at least two blacks that reinforce this very fact. Granted not EVERY black, but a large enough percentage and of a mixed back ground to make it truth.

Once again if someone called the cops cause they thought I was breaking into MY house I would not be pissed, I would be glad my neighbors cared enough to bother calling the cops, I would be glad the cops reacted fast enough to catch the supposed criminal.

Unlike at least one poster on here I would not order them off my property with out telling them who I was and providing proof I really was that person. I would be thanking them.

There is no way the cop just arrested him cause he was black. Further it is obvious he knew he was not breaking in by the charge. The Professor acted stupidly and the President reinforced that ignorance.

You don't think cops ever make things up?

They did not arrest him as a house breaker, they arrested him for disorderly conduct. For harassing the Officer doing his damn job by checking out a REPORTED incident. AT least get your story straight you dumb ass.

Not when it is the truth. The evidence is everywhere. On this board we have at least two blacks that reinforce this very fact. Granted not EVERY black, but a large enough percentage and of a mixed back ground to make it truth.

Are you kidding me? We have a good amount of Whites on this board whom are racist but does that make me and you racist? No.

How many blacks do you know that believe such things RGS? Or are you going off what you see on TV? Don't play into and believe in stereotypes, we're all better than that.

Taking your logic, that would make every race certain things, and stereotyping in that fashion is not only unfair to that person but wrong. Especially since you wouldn't want to be stereotyped as an old racist would you? :eusa_eh:

They did not arrest him as a house breaker, they arrested him for disorderly conduct. For harassing the Officer doing his damn job by checking out a REPORTED incident. AT least get your story straight you dumb ass.
Did you read my post, dumbass?

Could the fact that most of us are believing the cop's version over Gate's version not indicate a little bias of our own?

No, I believe they both were equally wrong for example. Some people believe the officer here is telling the truth, and has no reason to be lying. Others believe that cop is racist, and was simply out to arrest a black man. That's what we have here today in America, a sad indication of how much things really haven't changed when you get to the inside.

If things got anymore tense, I'm not sure what'd happen.

Are you kidding me? We have a good amount of Whites on this board whom are racist but does that make me and you racist? No.

How many blacks do you know that believe such things RGS? Or are you going off what you see on TV? Don't play into and believe in stereotypes, we're all better than that.

Taking your logic, that would make every race certain things, and stereotyping in that fashion is not only unfair to that person but wrong. Especially since you wouldn't want to be stereotyped as an old racist would you? :eusa_eh:

Already have been more then once on this board. The fact remains the facts support the idea that a very good portion of America's blacks believe just what was said. That makes it not a stereotype but reality. This professor proves the point.

You don't think cops ever make things up?

there are witnesses
"A 55-year-old neighbor who said he witnessed the incident but declined to give his name, however, said that Gates was in fact yelling loudly, as indicated by a photo taken by another neighbor.

“When police asked him for ID, Gates started yelling, ‘I’m a Harvard professor . . . You believe white women over black men. This is racial profiling.’

Henry Louis Gates Jr. demands apology, sensitivity training - BostonHerald.com

Forum List

Back