Is it true black people are heavily discriminated in America?

Police officer shoots an innocent black man in unjustified manner, causing outrage

Im from Australia but from what I have heard, black people are very hated in America. Is this true?

Not in general. Most people accept black people as readily as they accept any other race, but there are always going to be those with preconceived notions or downright completely racist (false) beliefs about others bc of the color of their skin. I’d venture to say black people are discriminated against quite heavily but they’re far from the only group. Jews are also heavily discriminated against, I believe more so than Muslims, though that could be changing.

I can only speak from experience. I’ve been around black people my whole life and was never taught they were inferior. They were my classmates, my friends and neighbors and really if I hadn’t been taught about slavery and the Jim Crow era as a kid I don’t think I would have guessed there was anything different about them other than their skin color. However I’ve met people who do think they’re inferior, so are there more people in America who have my mindset or who have the racist mindset?

Police officer shoots an innocent black man in unjustified manner, causing outrage

Im from Australia but from what I have heard, black people are very hated in America. Is this true?

Not in general. Most people accept black people as readily as they accept any other race, but there are always going to be those with preconceived notions or downright completely racist (false) beliefs about others bc of the color of their skin. I’d venture to say black people are discriminated against quite heavily but they’re far from the only group. Jews are also heavily discriminated against, I believe more so than Muslims, though that could be changing.

I can only speak from experience. I’ve been around black people my whole life and was never taught they were inferior. They were my classmates, my friends and neighbors and really if I hadn’t been taught about slavery and the Jim Crow era as a kid I don’t think I would have guessed there was anything different about them other than their skin color. However I’ve met people who do think they’re inferior, so are there more people in America who have my mindset or who have the racist mindset?
Right after you posted a feral member of the white race exposed the truth. :rolleyes:

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Do we blacks get to speak from experience?

Or must we repeat the experience whites want to hear?

Last edited:

Black people in the US are treated alot like the native people in Australia. If youre a european Australian the chances you understand what that means is slim to none. One can only hope there are no racial blinders that prohibit you from learning.

10 times Indigenous Australians have experienced 'everyday' racism
Australian Aborigines are not even Homo sapiens.

Dear Australia,

Where do I begin?

First, let me say that I have only read through a few of the posts in response to your question. Please know that the first thing that you have to understand is that 99% of the posts here are by ignorant trolls who have no interest in a meaningful discourse on the subject. If you want to understand race relations in America, stop listening to them right now.

The first piece of bovine excrement that I want to dispel is the contention that it is white Christian males who are the most discriminated against. You have no idea how ridiculous that that is . White Christian males dominate the culture here. The meme that they are discriminated against is an ongoing rightwing talking point that actually makes no sense at all.

I am an older, liberal white guy from the north east US and I have been around long enough to know a few things and what I know is that race relations and racism is a complex subject. ( yes, my politics is at odds with my demographic- but not unheard of)

As I said, race in America is complex and you can’t just dumb it down to a question of whether or not there is racism or a how blacks are regarded here. There are vast difference in race relations from state to state and from region to region. Black people have vastly different life experiences in the more liberal parts of the country-specifically the north east and the west coast. The south is the worst with the Midwest being a close second.

There are also significant differences between rural and urban settings. Even in the south, the major urban areas are considerably more liberal. Political affiliation also a factor with Republican being more likely to be racist- although they will not admit it and in fact accuse the Democrats of being racists. The truth is that the Democrats once were the racist party until the 60’s when they embraced civil rights and the racists fled over to the Republicans like rats on a sinking ship.

The bottom line is that black folks have come a long way in this country but still have a ways to go. They have achieve a lot and are generally respected and accepted. Yes, we still have ghettos and areas of de-facto segregation but we also have well integrated communities. I live in a community where many races, ethnicities and religions are represented and everyone gets alone. Don’t forget that we elected a Black president in 2008 and that would not have been possible without the support of white people.

Yet racism does still exist here. Black people are more likely to be stopped and even shot by police. There are more black people in prison although they do not commit more crimes. We have the civil rights act , any states also have laws against discrimination on the basis of race in housing, employment and other areas but that does not happen.

We are still living under the shadow of our dark history of slavery and segregation and while we have made progress in digging out from under that, in recent years we have slid backwards with the unfortunate election of Donald Trump and his racist rhetoric supported by his mindless minions who have been emboldened and emerged from under their rocks to spew their hatred.

. You may have also heard of the rise of white supremacy which started with the election of Obama because some people could not accept a black president. That trend continued with Trump’s election as he continues to encourage and enable the racists.. However, I still believe that most people in this country are decent and believe that racism is wrong, and that the aberration that is Trump will soon be corrected.

America is a complicated place. I hope this helps

The fact that this story gets so much attention while white people are killed or even murdered by police officers every day without a peep from the national media proves that what you have “heard” is nonsense.

Except we do hear about it.

Dear Australia,

Where do I begin?

First, let me say that I have only read through a few of the posts in response to your question. Please know that the first thing that you have to understand is that 99% of the posts here are by ignorant trolls who have no interest in a meaningful discourse on the subject. If you want to understand race relations in America, stop listening to them right now.

The first piece of bovine excrement that I want to dispel is the contention that it is white Christian males who are the most discriminated against. You have no idea how ridiculous that that is . White Christian males dominate the culture here. The meme that they are discriminated against is an ongoing rightwing talking point that actually makes no sense at all.

I am an older, liberal white guy from the north east US and I have been around long enough to know a few things and what I know is that race relations and racism is a complex subject. ( yes, my politics is at odds with my demographic- but not unheard of)

As I said, race in America is complex and you can’t just dumb it down to a question of whether or not there is racism or a how blacks are regarded here. There are vast difference in race relations from state to state and from region to region. Black people have vastly different life experiences in the more liberal parts of the country-specifically the north east and the west coast. The south is the worst with the Midwest being a close second.

There are also significant differences between rural and urban settings. Even in the south, the major urban areas are considerably more liberal. Political affiliation also a factor with Republican being more likely to be racist- although they will not admit it and in fact accuse the Democrats of being racists. The truth is that the Democrats once were the racist party until the 60’s when they embraced civil rights and the racists fled over to the Republicans like rats on a sinking ship.

The bottom line is that black folks have come a long way in this country but still have a ways to go. They have achieve a lot and are generally respected and accepted. Yes, we still have ghettos and areas of de-facto segregation but we also have well integrated communities. I live in a community where many races, ethnicities and religions are represented and everyone gets alone. Don’t forget that we elected a Black president in 2008 and that would not have been possible without the support of white people.

Yet racism does still exist here. Black people are more likely to be stopped and even shot by police. There are more black people in prison although they do not commit more crimes. We have the civil rights act , any states also have laws against discrimination on the basis of race in housing, employment and other areas but that does not happen.

We are still living under the shadow of our dark history of slavery and segregation and while we have made progress in digging out from under that, in recent years we have slid backwards with the unfortunate election of Donald Trump and his racist rhetoric supported by his mindless minions who have been emboldened and emerged from under their rocks to spew their hatred.

. You may have also heard of the rise of white supremacy which started with the election of Obama because some people could not accept a black president. That trend continued with Trump’s election as he continues to encourage and enable the racists.. However, I still believe that most people in this country are decent and believe that racism is wrong, and that the aberration that is Trump will soon be corrected.

Don’t kid yourself, you are just a mentally deficient old white man who has never mattered in the realm of political discourse. You are just a bitch of the racist non-white majority of your party. You are a worthless coon.

Racism created Obama’s presidency and racism is all your party has. I hope you live long enough to see the real political price that your hate group pays once white millennials look out for their own self interests.

The fact that this story gets so much attention while white people are killed or even murdered by police officers every day without a peep from the national media proves that what you have “heard” is nonsense.

Bullshit.

You hear about it from the right and then you can’t debunk it because they are stating obvious facts.

The national media NEVER reports it and the local media de-emphasizes it.

Dear Australia,

Where do I begin?

Don’t kid yourself, you are just a mentally deficient old white man who has never mattered in the realm of political discourse. You are just a bitch of the racist non-white majority of your party. You are a worthless coon.

Racism created Obama’s presidency and racism is all your party has. I hope you live long enough to see the real political price that your hate group pays once white millennials look out for their own self interests.

You see young punk, you don't get old by being stupid. This man is correct. And when it's your turn to be us, you will be an afterthought that will not matter.

Bullshit.

You hear about it from the right and then you can’t debunk it because they are stating obvious facts.

Young punk if it had been happening to whites like you say, legislation would long ago have been passed to end it.

When you think you've heard every ....whileBlack hashtag here we now have BankingWhileBlack

Ohio bank calls police on a black man trying to cash his paycheck - CNN
The stories I could tell you

"I have a customer here -- he's not our customer, actually. He's trying to cash a check and the check is fraudulent. It does not match our records," a bank employee says on a recording of the 911 call obtained by CNN."
The check was good, they falsely accused him of attempting to cash a fraudulent check. That's defamation per se. Their letter of apology is probably as sincere as they were when they were refusing to cash his check.

Assholes, every last one of them because there is a difference between not being sure of something and falsely (and erroneously) proclaiming that his check was fraudulent.

Dear Australia,

Where do I begin?

You see young punk, you don't get old by being stupid. This man is correct. And when it's your turn to be us, you will be an afterthought that will not matter.
When I am old I will be more influential than anyone you have ever read about. I am a revolutionary.

You are nothing but a self-contradictory racist old black man who doesn’t know what year it is, I have already far surpassed you without even trying.

Bullshit.

Young punk if it had been happening to whites like you say, legislation would long ago have been passed to end it.
No old dipshit, they wouldn’t.

White identity politics is taboo because white people don’t have rights. The media and government doesn’t give a shit what happens to white people because dumb white people(like progressivepatriot)don’t advocate for their self interests.

Stupid post, Lily! Forty years ago blacks faced very real racism in America. The same cities that once had racist white Police Chiefs who used dogs and fire hoses on black marchers now have black Mayors and Police Chiefs! The nation elected a black President. There are black news anchors. There are black MVP's in multiple sports leagues. Is there lingering racism? Of course. Human beings are tribal. We tend to view "outsiders" or anyone that doesn't look or act like us with suspicion. People like Milkweed and IM2 however use the race card continually because they don't want to admit that the police don't "target" minorities because of their skin pigmentation...they target criminals.

Stupid post, Lily! Forty years ago blacks faced very real racism in America. The same cities that once had racist white Police Chiefs who used dogs and fire hoses on black marchers now have black Mayors and Police Chiefs! The nation elected a black President. There are black news anchors. There are black MVP's in multiple sports leagues. Is there lingering racism? Of course. Human beings are tribal. We tend to view "outsiders" or anyone that doesn't look or act like us with suspicion. People like Milkweed and IM2 however use the race card continually because they don't want to admit that the police don't "target" minorities because of their skin pigmentation...they target criminals.
And don’t forget that those black mayors and police chiefs are often racists themselves.

Forum List

Back