Is music dying?

ThisIsMe

Gold Member
Dec 16, 2017
Interesting video from Rick Beato. He has a few videos on this subject about how music has changed over the years, and how it’s becoming sterilized and bland.

This is a pretty good take on the state of music today:

The music industry has become an echo chamber where nobody hears anything but themselves. Back in the day, most musicians and bands got their start playing bars and clubs. When the country started passing stiffer drunk driving laws, everything changed.

Interesting video from Rick Beato. He has a few videos on this subject about how music has changed over the years, and how it’s becoming sterilized and bland.

has been since '63

I don't agree with him completely. I certainly don't think music is dying. Most of his lamenting can be boiled down to him defending the old studio model in which there were studio gatekeepers who controlled what music arrived and when. It may just be me, when when I hear a new song that comes out, I immediately look for covers of it, particularly live covers. In that I agree with him about the overuse of technology, but that is just labels trying to maximize profits. Music is democratized in a way it never has been before. I consider that to be a good thing. Just a few days back, I went on my find a live cover of a song, and ended up hearing just an awesome version by a young woman in the Philippians with a really powerful voice who I never would have known existed in your precious 60's and 70's, and from there I listened to several of her other songs. If youtube made money off it instead of me peddling to the record store, more power to them. Didn't cost me a penny and it certainly doesn't mean that I don't value the music. Quite the opposite. I value the music more when I can find the version of it that I like as opposed to the version that Sony of whoever tries to force me to like.

As long as Mason Ramsey continues to roam the planet, good music is still in good hands.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

P.S. Two new songs from him will be released tomorrow named "All The Way To Memphis" and "How Do I Know If I'm In Love?". :) :) :)

I don't agree with him completely. I certainly don't think music is dying. Most of his lamenting can be boiled down to him defending the old studio model in which there were studio gatekeepers who controlled what music arrived and when. It may just be me, when when I hear a new song that comes out, I immediately look for covers of it, particularly live covers. In that I agree with him about the overuse of technology, but that is just labels trying to maximize profits. Music is democratized in a way it never has been before. I consider that to be a good thing. Just a few days back, I went on my find a live cover of a song, and ended up hearing just an awesome version by a young woman in the Philippians with a really powerful voice who I never would have known existed in your precious 60's and 70's, and from there I listened to several of her other songs. If youtube made money off it instead of me peddling to the record store, more power to them. Didn't cost me a penny and it certainly doesn't mean that I don't value the music. Quite the opposite. I value the music more when I can find the version of it that I like as opposed to the version that Sony of whoever tries to force me to like.
I think his main issue is that music is just too easy these days. Creativity is starting wain and the advent of these overused, stale, and often generic trap beats are taking over. He even comments about how people are using pre recorded chord progression samples to create music…I.e., no real input into the process, the gluing several samples together and calling it a “song”.

You’re right, he does lament the devolving of studio recordings, but because that’s where music, made with passion, comes from. He did a video the other day about the rise of AI music, and that’s where some of this is coming from. AI, sampled music, reused trap beats and drum machines are replacing humans, and all the creativity, nuance, mistakes, and all that comes with it.

Even in this video, he talks about record companies using AI voice technology to recreate the voices of the artists in their stable, to basically make music using their voices, regardless of who’s singing. He talks about real talent taking a back seat with the introduction of auto tune, whic can be used to make anyone with a mediocre voice sound really good.

I’m not against technology in music, but I do have a concern about technology removing most of the human element from music..if that makes any sense.

I found a local radio station (Big Dog) that broadcasts only classic country. You can buy a vintage CD that will non stop stuff you like from the artist you like. I ain't got a clue about what passes for pop music these days.

No, I don't think so.

I think what is happening is more and more people are able to do music. The more people do it, the higher the percentage of bland music there is, but also the higher chance of something special coming out happens too.

The problem is the special music might not be so mainstream.

But usually what happens is they do compilation disks or whatever they use now, and all the guff disappears and the good stuff remains over time. So in 50 years time people will be listening to only the good stuff from today, and as we get more and more music and the bar is raised higher, the "good stuff" will be less and less from each decade, but it will all add to the pot of good music from over the ages.

I found a local radio station (Big Dog) that broadcasts only classic country. You can buy a vintage CD that will non stop stuff you like from the artist you like. I ain't got a clue about what passes for pop music these days.
I listen to prime country on Sirius Xm. They play artists from 70,80, and 90s..unless what you mean by “classic country” is original Johnny cash and Hank Williams Sr.

A long, long time ago
I can still remember how that music
Used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while
But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step
I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died...

No, I don't think so.

I think what is happening is more and more people are able to do music. The more people do it, the higher the percentage of bland music there is, but also the higher chance of something special coming out happens too.

The problem is the special music might not be so mainstream.

But usually what happens is they do compilation disks or whatever they use now, and all the guff disappears and the good stuff remains over time. So in 50 years time people will be listening to only the good stuff from today, and as we get more and more music and the bar is raised higher, the "good stuff" will be less and less from each decade, but it will all add to the pot of good music from over the ages.

Sure, but how much of that music will be real instrument created, by hand, with flaws, timing variances, and everything that comes along with the human element, and how much of it will be “grid perfect” where it’s all just very sterilized.

Even Rick agrees that what many artists do today are trap beats and quantized drum machines… because it works, and it’s what people like..and as more people get used to it and lean toward it, more and more of the human element gets lost.

For example:

In this video, he goes into detail about all of the hidden things in this recording, that I was never even aware of, but it was all put in there, from voice extensions to mimic guitar riffs, to hiding a clean guitar under a distorted guitar to create a new soundscape. Those subtle and hidden things that most people wouldn’t detect, yet were put there to make the song what it is.

Those things can tend to get lost the more music becomes “mechanized”

A long, long time ago
I can still remember how that music
Used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while
But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step
I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died...

Do you think AI could ever write a song with that kind of complexity and meaning ?

Sure, but how much of that music will be real instrument created, by hand, with flaws, timing variances, and everything that comes along with the human element, and how much of it will be “grid perfect” where it’s all just very sterilized.

Even Rick agrees that what many artists do today are trap beats and quantized drum machines… because it works, and it’s what people like..and as more people get used to it and lean toward it, more and more of the human element gets lost.

For example:

In this video, he goes into detail about all of the hidden things in this recording, that I was never even aware of, but it was all put in there, from voice extensions to mimic guitar riffs, to hiding a clean guitar under a distorted guitar to create a new soundscape. Those subtle and hidden things that most people wouldn’t detect, yet were put there to make the song what it is.

Those things can tend to get lost the more music becomes “mechanized”

I think there's plenty of "real music" out there. It's a case of if you find it or not

Forum List

Back