CDZ Is the Climate changing?

How would it be harmful to take an interest in planning/working to save our water air & soil?

It's not. But what the climatologists are proposing doesn't do a darned thing to help.

Really....

Can you support that?

The recent recalibration of the sunspot number makes it even clearer that the Sun’s effect on climate is minimal and limited to the 0.1 percent variation in the Sun’s luminosity (radiative output),” says Hathaway. “This gives a small 0.1 degree centigrade change in global temperature — far too small to produce a ‘Little Ice Age.’ ”

If Solar Cycle 25 meets the panel’s predictions, it should be weaker than average. Cycle 25 is also expected to end a longer trend over the past four decades, in which the magnetic field at the Sun’s poles were gradually weakening. As a result, the solar cycles have been steadily weaker too. If Solar Cycle 25 sees an end to this waning, it would quell speculations that the Sun might enter a grand solar minimum, a decades-to-centuries long stretch of little solar activity. The last such minimum — known as the Maunder minimum — occurred in the middle of what’s known as the Little Ice Age from the 13th to 19th centuries, causing erroneous beliefs that another grand minimum could lead to global cooling.

“There is no indication that we are currently approaching a Maunder-type minimum in solar activity,” Upton said. But even if the Sun dropped into a grand minimum, there’s no reason to think Earth would undergo another Ice Age; not only do scientists theorize that the Little Ice Age occurred for other reasons, but in our contemporary world, greenhouse gases far surpass the Sun’s effects when it comes to changes in Earth’s climate.

So you believe climate models more than factual observations.

That's a problem.

Then show me the facts and prove those I linked to are lying about the sun.

Etc. Etc. Etc. There's way more. And these aren't even the hard core sciency ones. These are pretty lay person friendly.

Expand your horizons away from the globull warming crowd.

Modern Grand Solar Minimum will lead to terrestrial cooling

A new approach to the long-term reconstruction of the solar irradiance leads to large historical solar forcing

Abstract

Context. The variable Sun is the most likely candidate for the natural forcing of past climate changes on time scales of 50 to 1000 years. Evidence for this understanding is that the terrestrial climate correlates positively with the solar activity. During the past 10 000 years, the Sun has experienced the substantial variations in activity and there have been numerous attempts to reconstruct solar irradiance. While there is general agreement on how solar forcing varied during the last several hundred years – all reconstructions are proportional to the solar activity – there is scientific controversy on the magnitude of solar forcing.

Aims. We present a reconstruction of the total and spectral solar irradiance covering 130 nm–10 μm from 1610 to the present with an annual resolution and for the Holocene with a 22-year resolution.

Methods. We assume that the minimum state of the quiet Sun in time corresponds to the observed quietest area on the present Sun. Then we use available long-term proxies of the solar activity, which are 10Be isotope concentrations in ice cores and 22-year smoothed neutron monitor data, to interpolate between the present quiet Sun and the minimum state of the quiet Sun. This determines the long-term trend in the solar variability, which is then superposed with the 11-year activity cycle calculated from the sunspot number. The time-dependent solar spectral irradiance from about 7000 BC to the present is then derived using a state-of-the-art radiation code.

Results. We derive a total and spectral solar irradiance that was substantially lower during the Maunder minimum than the one observed today. The difference is remarkably larger than other estimations published in the recent literature. The magnitude of the solar UV variability, which indirectly affects the climate, is also found to exceed previous estimates.We discuss in detail the assumptions that lead us to this conclusion.

Expand your horizons away from the globull warming crowd.

wow, two papers of people putting forth theories....how convincing.

So, here is where I stand, do what you wish with it...I am not part of the "globull warming crowd". (the very fact you choose to use that stupid fucking 2nd grade put down makes everything you post suspect, but that is neither here nor there right now)

The climate is changing, this is an undisputed fact. I have never much cared about the "why" or the "who" even. I personally think mankind has some impact on it, it seems to me to be rather naïve to think we can rape the planet and not have any impact on it. But the why is not what I care about, the "what are we doing to do to adapt" is what I care about.

For example, the farmers I work with have seen the rail patterns shift over the last 10 to 15 years. While the total amount of rain has not changed much, it now comes in a few days each month vice spread out over the month. This is not really good for crops, they either have too much water or not enough. So in this area farmers have been adding irrigation they never needed before. They are not doing this because they are part of the globull warming crowd but because they wish to survive as farmers. They are also having to add tiling to their land to deal with the excess water when it does rain, which again is not cheap, they are not doing it because of some politician.

This is the kind of thing we need to be looking and figuring out how we can still thrive with a changed climate.

The oil providers see the writing on the wall. Consumers will continue to buy oil products for a long time to come and oil companies do not want to start riots over supplies.

Having said that, as long as oil companies can meet demand, they are comfortable with current prices, but if output cannot meet demand competition will create a pricing war.

Hopefully, in the next ten (1O-15) years, renewables will be the energy providers.

As I see it, :)-

Yes, all the evidence availably confirms this.

In this game, you only have to be right once. :)-

The oil providers see the writing on the wall. Consumers will continue to buy oil products for a long time to come and oil companies do not want to start riots over supplies.

Having said that, as long as oil companies can meet demand, they are comfortable with current prices, but if output cannot meet demand competition will create a pricing war.

Hopefully, in the next ten (1O-15) years, renewables will be the energy providers.

As I see it, :)-
two decades is what I see

Democrat's say YES
Republicans say NO!!!!!!!!

& I say we can!!!!!!
:)-
conjecture is fun, my preference is actual numbers and physical observation, or else I admit "my guess is..."

wow, two papers of people putting forth theories....how convincing.

So, here is where I stand, do what you wish with it...I am not part of the "globull warming crowd". (the very fact you choose to use that stupid fucking 2nd grade put down makes everything you post suspect, but that is neither here nor there right now)

The climate is changing, this is an undisputed fact. I have never much cared about the "why" or the "who" even. I personally think mankind has some impact on it, it seems to me to be rather naïve to think we can rape the planet and not have any impact on it. But the why is not what I care about, the "what are we doing to do to adapt" is what I care about.

For example, the farmers I work with have seen the rail patterns shift over the last 10 to 15 years. While the total amount of rain has not changed much, it now comes in a few days each month vice spread out over the month. This is not really good for crops, they either have too much water or not enough. So in this area farmers have been adding irrigation they never needed before. They are not doing this because they are part of the globull warming crowd but because they wish to survive as farmers. They are also having to add tiling to their land to deal with the excess water when it does rain, which again is not cheap, they are not doing it because of some politician.

This is the kind of thing we need to be looking and figuring out how we can still thrive with a changed climate.

Actually, I presented three papers. Hard science, not soft opinion which is what you presented. I understand that thinking is hard, but you should read the papers, and then think about what they are presenting.

Averages for a country is a meaningless number. Both countries are far too big and their growing regions far too diverse for a national average to matter.

Also, it is not always just the total that matters, but how it is delivered. I live in the Heartland of America and work with the farmers here. What has changed over the last 20 years is not the amount of rainfall, but how it comes. The old climate it fell spread out over 15 to 20 days a month, now it comes in 5 to 7 days with longer in-between. This is not good for crops and many operations in this area have had to add irrigation and tiling, which had not been needed for the past 5 plus generations.
Correct, timing is very important. This year here in Nebraska we had more rain and snow, The ground was frozen so most of that was run off and wasn't able to soak into the soil and do any good. So we started off the year with a surplus of moisture. Nowadays when it rains it pours so once again a lot of that is runoff. His drawings are more erratic and more powerful and damaging. Things are changing and it's not for the better. We are ending up the year with less moisture than usual. This is becoming a pattern.

conjecture is fun, my preference is actual numbers and physical observation, or else I admit "my guess is..."
For something that isn't conjecture, big oil is investing in renewable energy sources, they don't want to be left behind. I just hope they don't get a monopoly on it and screw everyone over like they've been doing for years.

For something that isn't conjecture, big oil is investing in renewable energy sources, they don't want to be left behind. I just hope they don't get a monopoly on it and screw everyone over like they've been doing for years.

Indeed they are. They aren't stupid. When government decides they are going to mandate something smart people invest in it.

BP
Indeed they are. They aren't stupid. When government decides they are going to mandate something smart people invest in it. BP has been investing in renewable energies since the 1980s. The other players quickly followed suit. They've been preparing for years. They know what the future has to be.

No, they understand that government is stupid. Stupid entities do stupid things. Smart people profit from stupid peoples actions.

No, they understand that government is stupid. Stupid entities do stupid things. Smart people profit from stupid peoples actions.
So you think government is stupid, I didn't know I was talking to a know it all. The idea of climate change began in 1956 when the effects for steel minimal. Now they are noticeable all over the world and causing hardship and suffering. Sorry but I'm not to respond to any of your post anymore you're definitely delusional.

So you think government is stupid, I didn't know I was talking to a know it all. The idea of climate change began in 1956 when the effects for steel minimal. Now they are noticeable all over the world and causing hardship and suffering. Sorry but I'm not to respond to any of your post anymore you're definitely delusional.

No, I don't think the government is stupid. I KNOW it is stupid. It's been a running joke for 200 years. Just how ignorant are you?

I for one believe that it is. I've believed this for a long time, but I found that a documentary called "An Inconvenient Truth", which features for Vice President Al Gore prominently, was very persuasive. I know there are those who believe that the Climate isn't changing as well, including some people like James Corbett, who I respect immensely for his work on other subjects, but we simply don't agree when it comes to climate. Recently, a poster in another thread of mine expressed his belief that the climate isn't changing so I thought it might be good to create this thread and see where it goes. I ask that people support any assertions that haven't already been made by another poster with at least one link.
10 or 15 years ago, there were a lot of deniers of climate change but today, not so much. Today it's deniers of human caused climate change. I for one believe climate is changing which is pretty obvious and believe man is mostly responsible if not entirely. However, I do not believe that our efforts will be enough to make a major difference in climate change. Expecting most countries of the world working toward a common goal is pretty far fetched. We can't even get this country working together.

One thing we should be able to agreement on is the need to start taking steps to deal with results of climate change regardless of the cause. For example, we need far more resources going into fighting forest fires and dealing increasing sea levels. Much of today's coastal construction will be underwater in 50 years. This we can change.

10 or 15 years ago, there were a lot of deniers of climate change but today, not so much. Today it's deniers of human caused climate change. I for one believe climate is changing which is pretty obvious and believe man is mostly responsible if not entirely. However, I do not believe that our efforts will be enough to make a major difference in climate change. Expecting most countries of the world working toward a common goal is pretty far fetched. We can't even get this country working together.

One thing we should be able to agreement on is the need to start taking steps to deal with results of climate change regardless of the cause. For example, we need far more resources going into fighting forest fires and dealing increasing sea levels. Much of today's coastal construction will be underwater in 50 years. This we can change.
I have a friend who lives in Madeira Beach, Florida. She has lived there for 30 years. When she originally about the house I was about three feet above sea level. Now it's more like two and a half feet above sea level. Last year alone the seas rose almost an inch, the rate at which the seas are rising is accelerating. I don't think we have 50 years left before most of the coastline infrastructure is threatened.

Forum List

Back